PDA

View Full Version : One Plate Law in Virginia

rvariverguy
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
This came up in a post last week I think, where some of us were lamenting Virginia's two plate requirement. I saw a post on bimmerforums about a new law being introduced. I took this from user B1MMRRR there. Minor edits to his original post:

Senator Locke was kind enough to introduce this bill on behalf of a fellow CorvetteForum.com member, so if you want to help get this bill passed YOU NEED TO GET INVOLVED!!!!!!!!!

He hopes to get a House Bill introduced as well and will post an update if it happens. Below is a link to the Senators to contact that will discuss this bill first: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+com+S11 (all emails copied below for your use). Just click on their names and you can see their e-mail addresses and phone numbers.

Here is a link that shows all the Senators and their contact info: http://apps.lis.virginia.gov/sfb1/Se...phoneList.aspx

By all means contact your Senator and feel free to use any and all of the below statement to e-mail them as well. I emailed all of the legislators involved.

Emails:
district23@senate.virginia.gov, district05@senate.virginia.gov, district16@senate.virginia.gov, district10@senate.virginia.gov, district38@senate.virginia.gov, district07@senate.virginia.gov, district14@senate.virginia.gov, district25@senate.virginia.gov, district04@senate.virginia.gov, district19@senate.virginia.gov, district37@senate.virginia.gov, district08@senate.virginia.gov, district29@senate.virginia.gov, district40@senate.virginia.gov, district31@senate.virginia.gov

Dear Honorable Virginia Legislators,

I request you vote to revoke the current law requiring the display of a front license plate on passenger vehicles by approving Senate Bill 27 (http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...e?121+ful+SB27) when it comes before you.

I support keeping the current licensing fee structure and would like to discuss the significant benefits to not requiring front of vehicle license plates. The reasons are briefly summarized in the paragraphs below:

First, eliminating the need for a front license plate will significantly reduce the state costs associated with production, storage, and shipping. The $1,000,000+ saved can be used to help balance the State budget or be employed towards necessary road maintenance.

Second, a front license plate restricts the performance of some passenger vehicles. Modern cars are no longer being designed with front plates in mind, with many bumpers not including mounting brackets for the plate. Installing the mounting brackets interferes with the cars' aerodynamics, engine cooling efficiency, and often get damaged during the car-washing process. Although a smaller group, many collectible car enthusiasts also are concerned over devaluation caused to Collector’s Edition or other such Limited Edition vehicles when modifications to the bumper are require to meet state law.

Third, unnecessary damage is sustained from minor bumper-to-bumper collisions, because the front mounting brackets on passenger cars can cause cracks and abrasions to the rear bumpers of the cars that they hit as well as rendering the license plate unreadable.

Finally, I believe there will be no impact to police officers performing their duties, as the rear plate will allow for identifying vehicles safely during traffic stops. The front plate is superfluous and not used by officers for background checks. Some law enforcement officials are opposed to a measure abolishing the front license plate requirement, as they believe that losing the extra plate will make it more difficult for them to do their jobs in the best possible manner. However, in the 19 or more states that have abolished the front license plate requirement, there is no evidence of a decline in public safety as a result of the plate removal.

I urge you, the lawmaking officials, to remove the two plate requirement.

Lastly, We the Voters and General Public of Virginia are appreciative of the law enforcement officers and lawmaking officials of this great Commonwealth and will continue to support them in their endeavor to make this state a safe place to live. We trust you will vote to allow Virginia to move into the modern one plate licensing approach and find useful causes for the resulting budget savings.

Sincerely,

llll1l1ll
01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
19 states that abolished the requirement? Which states are these? I only know of NC, PA, OH, and maybe DE?

MrMaico
01-23-2012, 04:04 PM
19 states that abolished the requirement? Which states are these? I only know of NC, PA, OH, and maybe DE?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_states_require_only_one_license_plate

Mtnman
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
yeah for North Carolina. I couldnt imagine covering up that delectable Mtech II....

Hermes
01-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I wish we could pass this in Cali. I only recently put the front plate on for the first time in 3 years of owning my car. Hell, my cars have never ran a front plate. This is the first time I've ever had one. Good luck to VA residents!

Step 2 will be to get 350 pre-orders so you can get the CCA plates!

Johnmadd
01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
This law does suck, I need to take the time to do this, or maybe ill just roll like jp and take it off and roll the dice on a ticket.

llll1l1ll
01-23-2012, 07:22 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_states_require_only_one_license_plate

Oh...

Heheheheheheheh (Peter Griffin laugh)

RVAzhp
01-24-2012, 09:02 PM
I've lived in virginia since for basically ever...
1997 tiburon didn't have a front plate, i took it off. never got pulled over.
2000 xterra, didn't have a plate, my dad finally put one on after he "bought" it from me and when i "bought" it back, i left it on.
1995 integra, had a plate. i pretty much had to, it was a "ricer" so a target for cops.
the ZHP- never has had a plate on it. never got a ticket for it, and i've only been stopped twice for it in 3.5 years.

The man won't hold me down.

M0nk3y
01-24-2012, 09:23 PM
When I had my E46...took my plate off and was.pulled over in 2 days.

Such a joke. Ohio tried to revoke it before but ohio highway patrol fought and won...they had stupid excuses but in reality it's a LIDAR target.

Its trying to get revoked again...and with them finally realizing that the state can save money ...hopefully its thought out

Sent using satellite technology

RVAzhp
01-24-2012, 10:38 PM
in virginia i suspect its definitely a revenue thing with both plates, and everyone getting custom ones. it's probably a pretty big $$ earner for the commonwealth. you think they make money on every custom plate out there, and they are a ton, so switching to 1 will cut that $$ in half. unless they keep the funds the same and only give you one. in that case they double it.

Sockethead
01-25-2012, 09:47 AM
When I had my E46...took my plate off and was.pulled over in 2 days.

Such a joke. Ohio tried to revoke it before but ohio highway patrol fought and won...they had stupid excuses but in reality it's a LIDAR target.

Its trying to get revoked again...and with them finally realizing that the state can save money ...hopefully its thought out

I totally agree.... all of these states are crying poor... get rid of the friggin useless front plate and save $$

(BMW)
01-25-2012, 06:36 PM
front plate is definitely a failure. ruins the look of the front end.

Whitexi
01-25-2012, 06:43 PM
I hate my front plate, I hope NY drops it off like a hooker on main street.

RVAzhp
01-26-2012, 08:30 PM
guys...here's the solution. take off the front plate/bracket. put it in your trunk. place the substitute trim piece in there so there is no evidence of ever having a front plate. if/when you ever get pulled over, tell them you've just ordered the part and you were having had a chance to put it on yet. tell them you can show them the piece if they want. Boom, get out of ticket because he knows you can just throw the bitch on to get out of the ticket in court.

Done this in virginia beach twice and those cops are super anal.

now if you pass the same cop everyday or something you might have a problem, but in bigger places this isn't really an issue.

Sockethead
01-27-2012, 07:05 AM
guys...here's the solution. take off the front plate/bracket. put it in your trunk. place the substitute trim piece in there so there is no evidence of ever having a front plate. if/when you ever get pulled over, tell them you've just ordered the part and you were having had a chance to put it on yet. tell them you can show them the piece if they want. Boom, get out of ticket because he knows you can just throw the bitch on to get out of the ticket in court.

now if you pass the same cop everyday or something you might have a problem, but in bigger places this isn't really an issue.
Yea, our home town cops have nothing better to do than generate revenue from the local citizens... unfortunatley that would work only once :(

johnrando
01-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Interesting idea. I got a no front plate ticket from the parking meter police here, while parked. No way to use this idea. So, while I like that idea, it just won't work where I live. Just a consideration for others. Because of that, I have a front plate on.

M0nk3y
01-27-2012, 09:55 AM

I did this to get out of my stop...but the cop is in my hometown and he said I get 7 days and he will hunt me down...exact words

MrMaico
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
That's kinda what I did....twice. Shortly after getting my car I got stopped for it and I told him it didn't have a bracket for a plate when I bought it and that I had a bracket ordered. A few months later I got stopped again for no plate a tint too dark. This was by an HP that is well known where I work (DOT shop) for being a dick. I told him the same and that I planned to have the tint removed. He gave me a warning (aka a fix-it ticket) for both. I ordered the Skene plate bracket and installed the plate but never did do anything about the tint. Even though it's a little darker than I care for at night, 32% according to his meter, I've grown to really like it during the heat of summer. Been 2 years since and no one else has hassled me about the tint.

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

No visible holes and IMO looks much better than the offset tow hook bracket.

rvariverguy
01-28-2012, 08:25 AM
in virginia i suspect its definitely a revenue thing with both plates, and everyone getting custom ones. it's probably a pretty big $$ earner for the commonwealth. you think they make money on every custom plate out there, and they are a ton, so switching to 1 will cut that $$ in half. unless they keep the funds the same and only give you one. in that case they double it.

I think that idiots who want custom plates will pay $35 for one.

danewilson77
01-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Excuse me?

GMATT
01-28-2012, 08:46 AM

Hmmmmmmmm maybe want to re read the family rules :idea here! .....just sayin! I paid $60.00 for a 2 year personal plate!:)

Whitexi
01-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Excuse me?

Ummmm...ahh.... so how bout them Giant's :dunno

M0nk3y
01-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I wanted custom plates, but Ohio charges an arm and a leg.

$50 a year :(

iZHP
01-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I paid an extra $50 for my specialty plates. I also pay an additional $10 when I renew my registration that goes towards helping the beaches (I have shore plates). I don't mind that at all, in fact, I like that I'm helping with shore reconstruction and upkeep.

rvariverguy
01-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Okay, let me explain. I meant no offense to anyone here by my comment. I'd say that in Virginia we have a ridiculously high number of custom plates. I'd also say that of those with custom plates, a good 80% carry completely ridiculous messages. Again, that's my opinion. But I wouldn't pay to tell the world via my license plate something along the lines of "I'm a mom to two boys." I've actually seen a blog of custom Virginia plates because we seem to have a reputation for silly custom messages.

My point was that custom plates would appeal to the same type of person at our current rates, whether the cost was for just a back plate or for front and back. That's all.

This is also completely separate from the specialized plates that support interest groups. If we could get BMW SIG plates in Virginia I'd be all up for that. I also support a local park system here by buying their plate as opposed to the state standard issue.