PDA

View Full Version : Trunk storage

rvariverguy
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
What do you guys do to keep things in order in your trunk? My wife's 528iT has a rubber mat that seems to prevent too much slippage when carrying cargo and my Lexus LX450 has tie downs to hold things in place. Any accessories, OEM or grey market, that you like for the ZHP?

zhp43867
01-21-2012, 06:31 PM
No matter how I put stuff in my trunk, by the time I get where I'm going it always looks like it's been through an industrial dryer!

That said people really like the E46 BMW Grocery Bag Holder

derbo
01-21-2012, 06:32 PM
I use the BMW cargo net. I don't rally have anything in but I hold like oil and some jumper cables mainly.

danewilson77
01-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I have the plush ///M3 trunk mat. Then.... I have a tool bag... With a full set of open/box end wrenches, 1/4 & 3/8 drive sockets and my lug wrench. Anyway.... The point is, is it's nice and heavy and I can use it to lock in a pizza or a bag of groceries. System seems to work great for me.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Newjack
01-21-2012, 06:43 PM
I have the plush ///M3 trunk mat. Then.... I have a tool bag... With a full set of open/box end wrenches, 1/4 & 3/8 drive sockets and my lug wrench. Anyway.... The point is, is it's nice and heavy and I can use it to lock in a pizza or a bag of groceries. System seems to work great for me.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Toolbag doesn't roll around? Mine does, drives me crazy!

kayger12
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
My trunk is for show. :shift

danewilson77
01-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Toolbag doesn't roll around? Mine does, drives me crazy!

Nope. It has a supervision stable bottom.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/019374962319xl.jpg

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zhp43867
01-21-2012, 06:55 PM
My trunk is for show. :shift

:rofl Your video...

kayger12
01-21-2012, 06:59 PM
:rofl Your video...

Hehe- exactly.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

rvariverguy
01-21-2012, 07:59 PM
What the heck? Anyone tried these? Not that I need or want them, just thought it was interesting.

http://www.unitedbmwonline.com/accessories/3-series/e46/interior/bmw-multi-fix-system-for-trunk-cargo-compartment.html

UdubBadger
01-21-2012, 08:27 PM
i just keep a bunch of junk in my trunk

Newjack
01-21-2012, 08:30 PM

:blushing

pleasecorrupt
01-22-2012, 02:36 PM
after semidetailing my car, it went from an empty trunk, to one microfiber towel. im making progress :D

pleasecorrupt
01-22-2012, 02:36 PM
lets see, went from an empty trunk to, one microfiber towel, cause i just detailed recently :D

Hermes
01-22-2012, 03:09 PM
My briefcase can be seen and sometimes a sweatshirt/jacket can be found in my trunk. Tools, towels, spray bottles, etc. are in the spare tire area w/my donut. I don't like carrying around extra weight in my car since my gas mileage is kinda garbage anyways

edlvrt
01-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I keep a quart of oil, jumper cables, gloves, basic socket set with T50 torx tor belt tensioner, and old spare belts in the spare tire tray. I have the BMW coolant jug mixed 50/50 with coolant and water in the left tray in front of the tail lights. I wedge a bottle of sunscreen in there to keep it tight fore and aft, and have my tire inflator just inboard of the plastic tray and tied in place to keep the gal of coolant from spilling. In the right side tray, I have a first aid kit that fits snugly. Also kept in the spare tire well are some bungee cords and tie downs for keeping random items secured when needed.

zj96sc
01-22-2012, 04:55 PM
The bodies never have too much room to move around.

Everything I have in there permanently I keep underneath the floor in the spare area - spare belts, quart of oil, roll of shop towels. Code scanner coiled up in the driver's side tail light area tray.

I rarely carry stuff prone to rolling around; gym bag sits where I put it, jacket does the same.

edlvrt
01-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Forgot to add, if you pull out the floor carpet liner and flip it, it is rubber on the back side. I keep mine rubber side up.

MrMaico
01-23-2012, 08:47 AM
I put my cleaning supplies, battery powered impact wrench, tire plugs and 12 volt air compressor etc. in a plastic milk crate and bungee it into the right rear corner so it doesn't slide around when I'm having a little fun. Towels go beside that on the battery cover.

Mtnman
01-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Forgot to add, if you pull out the floor carpet liner and flip it, it is rubber on the back side. I keep mine rubber side up.

This^^^^^^ is where its at.

I keep coolant 50/50 mix in bmw container, and qt of bmw oil. both fit perfectly on drivers side cubbyhole, and squeeze togther so they dont roll out.

Flipping the mat over (thanks to Lance/Pyreguy for that tip long ago) made all the difference.

onepercent
01-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Good advice; I keep some tools, jumper cables, work gloves, and a pair of running shoes under there. The running shoes in case I'm ever stranded and need to run/walk/hike my way out! Not that my ZHP would ever do that to me!

The bodies never have too much room to move around.

Everything I have in there permanently I keep underneath the floor in the spare area - spare belts, quart of oil, roll of shop towels. Code scanner coiled up in the driver's side tail light area tray.

I rarely carry stuff prone to rolling around; gym bag sits where I put it, jacket does the same.

gr330zhp
01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
I flipped the factory mat over so the rubber side is up. Thanks for the idea Channing! :)

I also have the OE BMW cargo net

Ryans323i
01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
This is how I do it:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/aprilsmom04/Trunk.jpg

Driver's Side holds higher quality scissor jack, first aid kit, and 1 extra front signal bulb.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/aprilsmom04/LS1.jpg

Passenger's Side holds all the other sh*t, lol. An organizer full of different detailing supplies, 1 quart oil, extra microfiber towels, my tool bag (yes it's full of tools, paper towels, baby wipes, breaker bar, terry cloth shop towels, and an extra shirt.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/aprilsmom04/RS2.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/aprilsmom04/RS1.jpg

The bungee is secured to two anchors and hold all the sh*t in.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/aprilsmom04/anchor.jpg

And that's how it's done.

brettbimmer
01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Alright folks, if you get tired of the rattlelyclank in the trunk, maybe some will find this helpful. Apologies for the awesome photo quality with the cell phone. This is how my ZHP rollz. :rolleyes

WeatherTech cargo mat. Love this as it catches anything wet/sticky/soggy (groceries, muddy boots, assorted junk you really don't want in your trunk, etc.)

OEM BMW Oil holders with disposable paper funnels (which I picked up from Bavauto, though I am sure they are available though any dealer and other sources.) Cost was something like $5 each, and they velcro to the side trunk lining anywhere FTW! Have yet to have them fall off, even with on spirited twisty backroads driving. Highly recommend these!!! :idea

Imola Red Mag Light where the safety triangle isn't in our US cars. :biggrin

Underneath it all in the company of the donut: P-towels, Microfiber, tire iron, Windex (Thanks Gus!), Faux chamois, and soft sided Target dopp kit used for basic tools.

johnrando
01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Ooh, love those oil holders.

brettbimmer
01-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Ooh, love those oil holders.

They really are great at keeping the spare oil vertical in the trunk. Here's the PN: 83 29 0 144 484

BMW Oil Travel Case - Genuine BMW

$ 5.95

SoarinZHP
01-23-2012, 07:40 PM

That's what she said.

Johnmadd
01-23-2012, 07:42 PM
I got this for christmas, and it works great, I have a jug of water and cleaning products in it and it doesn't move at all, and its attached only by Velcro on the bottom but the more weight in it makes it stick even more, great product.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001EHEFTU

Rovert
01-24-2012, 01:47 AM
I store stuff in the spare tire bin and I also got two long narrow boxes that fit side to side in the trunk to put my stuff in. Everything is a lot more neatly packed and it doesn't get a chance to go from one side of the trunk to the other with a clunk. LOL. I got those boxes from Costco at checkout where all the empty boxes are stored for customer's use.

llll1l1ll
01-24-2012, 04:20 AM
Hmm I should consider moving some stuff to the spare tire area. With that said, all that's in my trunk is a funnel, a roll of paper towels, a quart of oil w/ an empty to keep the full one snug in the cubby hole, and some old shirts for rags.

johnrando
01-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I use a small duffel bag with a bungy cord to keep it in place. It's got blankets, hats, lotions, etc (vert you know), plus m/f towels, windex, detail bottle (1 for in, 1 for out). As well, to the right of that I have jumper/air compressor unit, and a cigarette lighter electrical outlet. Because of the top stowage, that back section of the vert is useless anyway so having that stuff tucked back in there really doesn't take up any useful space (except for small things like that). By the left ICE stuff are my manuals.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/SouthBayCities-20120124-00188.jpg

brettbimmer
01-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Some of us should get smart and make creative use of the empty space where the battery would live under the hood on the smaller engined E46 cars, but on the zhps and other US e46's, it just empty space.

Before anyone else mentions it: "I know, I know, but where else would we stash the hash?" :D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Rovert
01-24-2012, 07:23 PM
I put all my engine oil, brake fluid, spare coolant, and other things that aren't heat sensitive in there.

johnrando
01-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Some of us should get smart and make creative use of the empty space where the battery would live under the hood on the smaller engined E46 cars, but on the zhps and other US e46's, it just empty space.

Before anyone else mentions it: "I know, I know, but where else would we stash the hash?" :D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

There's a discussion on e46f.c on that very subject - where to hide things in an E46, and that location comes up.

Hermes
01-25-2012, 12:27 AM

From the E46 thread, the best one I read is in the shifter or e-brake boot

spoonerDee
01-26-2012, 05:55 AM
I haven't really gotten creative with my trunk. I flipped the mat to keep the rubber side up, and I always have my set of jumper cables and my socket set with alen wrenches and torx head screw drivers.

Been meaning to get the BMW oil bags for some time, will do so soon.

Hermes
01-26-2012, 05:57 AM
I guess I also keep some extra socks and other random useful stuff in the fold down thing where the cd changer/Nav DVD goes since they're empty

t.er
07-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Rather than making a new thread, I'm bringing this ancient thread back from the dead. Btw I love how we're all nerds, and this is a thread topic :rofl

I was at autox yesterday and it rained very heavily. All of my stuff got soaked, including the cardboard box I have had in my trunk for 5 years, which fit perfectly in the little cubby above the battery tray.

https://i.imgur.com/h5WaR5Sl.jpg

Went to a local home hardware store and found a rice container that happened to fit perfectly in that spot. I also put adhesive-backed velcro strips on the bottom, so the box is pretty solid and won't slide out on highway on-ramps. Only caveat is that the box is such a snug fit, that the trunk light on that side won't fit with the box. Also, my oil jug and spray bottles are too tall for the lid, which I was hoping to use when leaving my stuff outside on a rainy day at autox/track.

https://i.imgur.com/bdDDe3Yl.jpg

In this box I have:

4.4L oil jug
Work light
Spray bottle with water
Quick detailer
Roll of paper towel (not pictured, as it got soaked and is now drying)
Funnel (for oil)
Pair of work gloves
Spare plastic bags

https://i.imgur.com/eDWYJv8l.jpg

On the left side, I have:

Jug of premixed BMW coolant
Ziploc with 4 or 5 MF towels

https://i.imgur.com/LsNe034l.jpg

In the storage cubby above the NAV DVD I have:

1/2" drive ratchet
1/2" drive 17 mm deep impact socket (in case I get a flat, I have very long studs)
Tire chalk
4 spare valve stem caps
Roll of green painter's tape
Pair of disposable latex gloves

https://i.imgur.com/JmTUFZHl.jpg

And lastly, velcro'd to the seat back is the BMW oil pouch, complete with 1 quart oil jug, disposable gloves, and disposable funnel.

https://i.imgur.com/Gplog7Ql.jpg

johnrando
07-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Love it!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
07-14-2020, 06:10 AM
@t.er did you just post all that to flex your dvd player on us?

t.er
07-14-2020, 07:20 AM
@t.er did you just post all that to flex your dvd player on us?

lol wut, no way :shift

No but seriously, I think my ultimate setup would be the Avin Avant 4 with all the bells and whistles, then I could strip all of the OEM MK4 NAV components & wiring from the trunk to the front of the car. But I just can't justify the cost, and I'd rather spend that $$$ on suspension, brakes, and tires

BMWCurves
07-17-2020, 07:41 AM
Not necessarily storage: After doing my general surgery rotation that included a decent amount of trauma - consider purchasing and having a small first aid kit including a tourniquet in your trunk, and know how to use it!

28firefighter
07-17-2020, 07:55 AM
Not necessarily storage: After doing my general surgery rotation that included a decent amount of trauma - consider purchasing and having a small first aid kit including a tourniquet in your trunk, and know how to use it!

Can confirm - aside from the necessary to keep our cars running when they inevitably throw a fit, a first aid kit that you change out periodically due to time (and training to use it) is of utmost importance. Doesn't need to be fancy, either, as you point out.

John in VA
07-17-2020, 09:02 AM
... consider purchasing and having a small first aid kit including a tourniquet in your trunk, and know how to use it!
This will serve that purpose & another!

ZHPizza
07-17-2020, 09:57 AM
lol wut, no way :shift

No but seriously, I think my ultimate setup would be the Avin Avant 4 with all the bells and whistles, then I could strip all of the OEM MK4 NAV components & wiring from the trunk to the front of the car. But I just can't justify the cost, and I'd rather spend that $$$ on suspension, brakes, and tires

Any android headunit makes the car so much better for extended drives. The sound quality is improved, Spotify integrates well with Waze, and if you get real bored, you can watch Netflix. Shit is cash.

BMWCurves
07-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Any android headunit makes the car so much better for extended drives. The sound quality is improved, Spotify integrates well with Waze, and if you get real bored, you can watch Netflix. Shit is cash.

But do be prepared for bugs - my headunit likes to occasionally disconnect from my phone's hotspot for some unknown reason

t.er
07-17-2020, 12:38 PM

But do be prepared for bugs - my headunit likes to occasionally disconnect from my phone's hotspot for some unknown reason

What've you guys got? Call me fussy but I can't stand the look of the Eonon/Xtrons/other headunits. Avin Avant 4 does it for me just because it's a 95% visual replica of the MK4 Nav.

It's odd because I'm probably younger than most here but I'm still oldschool - the MK4 with aux input is good enough for me. Heck, I didn't even have aux on my cross-country roadtrip, and was stuck either listening to a) 1 radio station with country music or b) nothing. Also the fact that I invested in my oil temp gauge which is only compatible with stock headunits.

BMWCurves
07-18-2020, 04:14 PM
What've you guys got? Call me fussy but I can't stand the look of the Eonon/Xtrons/other headunits. Avin Avant 4 does it for me just because it's a 95% visual replica of the MK4 Nav.

It's odd because I'm probably younger than most here but I'm still oldschool - the MK4 with aux input is good enough for me. Heck, I didn't even have aux on my cross-country roadtrip, and was stuck either listening to a) 1 radio station with country music or b) nothing. Also the fact that I invested in my oil temp gauge which is only compatible with stock headunits.

I have the Xtrons something or other. It honestly looks good IMO - illuminated color matches the rest of the console and the buttons don't look much different than the aesthetic of the rest of the console. Loads better than touchscreen setups with no buttons.