PDA

View Full Version : Anything different about the ZHP maintenance over a reg 330i?

BRGcoopahS
01-14-2012, 11:16 AM
My father is looking for an e46 coupe, particularly a ZHP and I was wondering if there are any ZHP specific issues compared to a normal 330i. I didn't see any stickied maintenance threads on here so thought Id start a topic.

Hermes
01-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Nope, same as normal 330 with regards to maintenance issues. Only thing I would say to look out for when searching is condition of the Alcantara and cube effect trim, both can be easily fixed/replaced

Also, welcome and make sure to start a new member thread and introduce yourself

- JP

kayger12
01-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Only difference is the control arms last longer on the ZHP as they have metal ball joints.

Otherwise, afaik, everything is the same maintenance-wise.

danewilson77
01-14-2012, 11:37 AM
No one is gonna mention "The rattle" or 4k dip issues?

Alcantara wheel wear, as well as bolsters... Probably don't hold up quite as well leather if it has these options.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hermes
01-14-2012, 11:39 AM

I thought that was a general issue

BRGcoopahS
01-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Alcantara wheel wear, as well as bolsters... Probably don't hold up quite as well leather if it has these options.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Is "the rattle" that issue that has to do with the upgraded cams? I've never heard of the "4k dip issues" though. Whats that?

kayger12
01-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah, good point DW-- rattle is a definite ZHP issue.

A lot of people though will spend the same $$ for the anti-rattle kit for their non-ZHP 330 when they do the seals, so I don't know that it will be any increased maintenance cost.

danewilson77
01-14-2012, 11:54 AM
No. It has to do with the dual vanos.

The product offered is below. If the car is not present...with the rattle, it doesn't appear too typically develope.

Hermes
01-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Didn't know that, good info DW

kayger12
01-14-2012, 11:55 AM
No. It has to do with the dual vanos.

The product offered is below. If the car is not present...with the rattle, it doesn't appear too typically develope.

Much more prevalent on the ZHP, though, no?

danewilson77
01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Much more prevalent on the ZHP, though, no?

Yes....

Here is the "dip" stuff

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1703-4K-power-dip-dealer-fix/page6

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1340-DME-Update-for-the-BMW-E46-330-ZHP/page11

More here as well.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-589252.html

zj96sc
01-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Is "the rattle" that issue that has to do with the upgraded cams? I've never heard of the "4k dip issues" though. Whats that?

BRGcoopahS, the "rattle issue" does indeed result from the upgraded cams that come in the ZHP.

The higher lift from the cams is what ultimately creates the helical gear wear and harmonic vibration of the vanos mechanism, which we hear and call "VANOS rattle." This is all detailed in Beisan and Dr. Vanos literature.

This issue will be uniquely ZHP (or non-ZHP with crane cams will be a "high likelihood" case as well) but can easily be addressed with the Beisan systems seal/rattle kit or a Dr. Vanos replacement vanos. Max you're looking at is $250 and should certainly not be a deterrent to purchasing a ZHP.

"4k dip issue" is a noticeable power loss at/near 4000rpm under heavy throttle, due to some rumormill mix of DISA valve movement/flutter, knock sensor misdiagnosing said movement, timing retardation as a result, etc. Long story short, this is not a uniquely ZHP issue and not a "maintenance" problem but more a driveability annoyance.

The ZHP is a great choice BECAUSE it does not really bring any increased maintenance costs to the table like an M car would.

Welcome to the forum - I look forward to seeing you around, and happy hunting.

Paul

Hermes
01-14-2012, 12:20 PM
^ great explanation. No real problems, just minor issues

kayger12
01-14-2012, 12:39 PM
^ great explanation. No real problems, just minor issues

+1

BRGcoopahS
01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks everyone. Good to know they are just minor issues. $250 for a vanos rattle is nothing at all. If It does have the rattle though, is it something that has to be fixed soon?

edit: kayger 12: your ZHP is EXACTLY what my dad would want. Best color IMO.

kayger12
01-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks everyone. Good to know they are just minor issues. $250 for a vanos rattle is nothing at all. If It does have the rattle though, is it something that has to be fixed soon?

edit: kayger 12: your ZHP is EXACTLY what my dad would want. Best color IMO.

Thanks, sir.

And no, the rattle didn't present any risk, so there's no reason to jump on fixing it.

Mine's been doing it since I bought her. I'll be doing the Beisan kit in the spring.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.