PDA

View Full Version : BMW To launch future automobiles similar to ZHP

carsontl
01-13-2012, 08:13 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/12/bmw-to-launch-toned-down-line-of-m-performance-automobiles/

We just wrapped up the Detroit Auto Show, but BMW has already moved on to Geneva. The German automaker announced today that it's going to be showing a new line of what it's calling "M Performance Automobiles" at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

These vehicles will sit between standard Bimmers and M vehicles in the lineup, and apparently offer more than just cosmetics. While BMW has offered M Sport appearance packages over the past two decades, today's announcement specifically mentions "exclusive engine variants" and suspension tweaks among the upgrades M Performance models would offer. Given the mention of both all-wheel drive and diesel models in the announcement, it seems like the new line is specifically geared towards both of those features that BMW likely believes would tarnish the original M line or just wouldn't be appropriate for an M3 or M5.

We're awaiting a reply from BMW on what this announcement means for the U.S. market, but we imagine the M Performance cars sold here might resemble something like the 2003-2006 ZHP performance package sold on the E46 3 Series. These cars carried M badging, a unique interior, sport fascias, upgraded wheels and tires, a six-speed manual, 10 extra horses, a higher redline, revised gearing, and a stiffer suspension. There's also the possibility that the first recipient of the new designation could be the diesel variant of the X6 M that's already been teased by the Bavarian automaker.

To read the full release, click past the jump.

Hermes
01-13-2012, 08:30 AM
SICK!

here's the press release:

M genes as standard: the BMW M Performance Automobiles.

Munich. In spring 2012, BMW M GmbH will unveil a new product range for drivers seeking a particularly sporty driving experience, yet who also value the familiar comfort and practicality of BMW models. The BMW M Performance Automobiles offer exclusive engine variants, noticeably enhanced agility and outstanding precision on the road, plus design laced with emotional appeal. The harmonious interplay of engine output, power transfer, chassis technology and aerodynamic balance provides a captivating showcase for the familiar M genes – in day-to-day driving and beyond. The BMW M Performance Automobiles will be presented to the global public for the first time at the International Geneva Motor Show 2012 which takes place from 8 – 18 March.

The BMW M Performance Automobiles represent a totally new model category none of its rivals can offer. Only the high-performance sports cars from BMW M GmbH provide a more convincing execution of an overall concept focused on inspirational driving dynamics. "We are targeting our efforts at customers looking for more emotionality and more performance, but who don't want to forgo the everyday usability of their cars," said Dr Friedrich Nitschke, President of BMW M GmbH. Nitschke announced plans for further additions to the new product line-up, referring to "a range including a wide variety of model series, as well as both petrol and diesel-engined variants". The intelligent all-wheel-drive system BMW xDrive would also play a significant role in the BMW M Performance Automobiles, he added.

2011 will go down as one of the most successful years for BMW M GmbH since the company was founded. In addition to the BMW 1 Series M Coupe, which marked BMW M GmbH's first ever foray into the premium compact segment, last year also saw the successful introduction of the new BMW M5. The imminent arrival of the BMW M Performance Automobiles provides 2012 – which will also feature the world premiere of the new BMW M6, among others – with an early highlight.

"The BMW M Performance Automobiles benefit from the full expertise of BMW M GmbH," explained Nitschke. The BMW Group subsidiary can call on decades of motor sport experience when it comes to translating outstanding engine power into excellent dynamics. This development expertise also imbues the BMW M Performance Automobiles with their distinctive character.

The models in the new product category follow in the tyre tracks of the BMW M535i, which was unveiled in 1980 and went on to capture the hearts of performance-minded customers with its extra power, precisely tuned chassis technology and subtly modified design. A fresh addition to the BMW 5 Series ranks, the Sedan remained a highly successful member of the line-up through two model generations and – up to 1987 – with the BMW M5 for company within the range. "Our aim with the BMW M Performance Automobiles is to continue this tradition," confirmed Nitschke.

Mtnman
01-13-2012, 08:34 AM
They should have referred to the not so special ZHP as another example of complete badassery. Besides that obvious snub, im stoked!

Edit: nevermind. I read the Press release not the blog. Carry on...

midlandtech
01-13-2012, 08:35 AM
I bet the 135 and 335 are gonna be easy performance cars just tweak the boost and slap a suspension on =) I want one

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crickett
01-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Hrrrrm, a "new" ZHP in my future? Bet it won't be as great as the original!

GSEN820
01-13-2012, 08:45 AM
hmmmm After this news I might put selling my car on hold for a little longer..........

DDub88
01-13-2012, 11:26 AM
l
Hrrrrm, a "new" ZHP in my future? Bet it won't be as great as the original!

Why not just have both of em eh? I would definately keep my 05 coupe and get the new one to compliment it if the new model turns out to be legit :drool

Hermes
01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
hmmmm After this news I might put selling my car on hold for a little longer..........

For how long... Announcement will be at Geneva and then a 3er prob won't be out for a year or two is my guess. Get a ZHP for now, those will always be in demand

echo46
01-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Nothing will be as good as my good ole ZHP

carsontl
01-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Nothing will be as good as my good ole ZHP

my zhp has problems, if it didn't i'd probably agree

iZHP
01-13-2012, 08:56 PM
nice! But there's nothing like the original.

UdubBadger
01-13-2012, 09:03 PM
sounds like i just found my next next car ;)

ranger
01-14-2012, 07:15 AM
My concern is the further one gets from the E46 ZHP, the less the enthusiast can work on the car themselves or at an independent shop. I hope I can always find a clean E46 ZHP to "update" to when my current ZHP wears out from being daily driver.

SoarinZHP
01-14-2012, 07:21 AM
:like

kayger12
01-14-2012, 07:22 AM
My concern is the further one gets from the E46 ZHP, the less the enthusiast can work on the car themselves or at an independent shop. I hope I can always find a clean E46 ZHP to "update" to when my current ZHP wears out from being daily driver.

Agreed, but the older shade-tree carburetor mechanics said the same things about our cars.

People will find a way to work on them (which I imagine is going to require much more computer/coding knowledge going forward) and the boards will be here to help the rest of us learn and get on board.

I'm figuring that if this "new" ZHP hits the market in 2013, I'll wait for the 2015 facelift and be looking to get into a used one by 2022ish. By then Jersey Graphite should be pushing 200K and will be ready for garage queen status.

zhp43867
01-14-2012, 07:23 AM

Just don't let it wear out and maintain it everything +1...

Also, this is exciting news but I don't like how far BMW is straying from naturally aspirated land. The N54 is nice but there are a handful of people who've gone from 335s to ZHPs and not looked back. I had the opportunity to get one or an E46 M3 recently, instead I'm buying another zhp.

Now, if they include a limited slip, O-M-G! :jealous :respect

derbo
01-14-2012, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't say its a new zhp. It's more of a new M535i and what not since the model number has a M in front of it. Hopefully like zhp43867 says, a LSD will be part of the package like the golden 80s!

nike001
01-14-2012, 08:19 AM
They ZHP is the e30 of improved design over base model cars. (if you get what I meant there)

I think that it'd be cool for these new packages to have the package code ZHP..

nike001
01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Just don't let it wear out and maintain it everything +1...

Also, this is exciting news but I don't like how far BMW is straying from naturally aspirated land. The N54 is nice but there are a handful of people who've gone from 335s to ZHPs and not looked back. I had the opportunity to get one or an E46 M3 recently, instead I'm buying another zhp.

Now, if they include a limited slip, O-M-G! :jealous :respect

I like everything said here. N/A is where its at, and I partly feel like F/I is cheating.

But other news, you're getting ANOTHER zhp??

Hermes
01-14-2012, 08:40 AM
N/A is where its at, and I partly feel like F/I is cheating.

agree 1,000,000% but you can't deny BMW knows how to build a turbo even though they haven't done it in a while. My 2 primary examples:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/3375329190_85c8d91b88.jpg

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7m4jpVovt1qapwfro1_500.jpg
^ that car broke 2 1200hp dyno's! All that with a M10 derived 1500cc motor

zhp43867
01-14-2012, 09:02 AM
I like everything said here. N/A is where its at, and I partly feel like F/I is cheating.

Yusss. I will eventually sell the one I have though. I will probably have two zhps for a couple months. No sunroof for the win! :wub

agree 1,000,000% but you can't deny BMW knows how to build a turbo even though they haven't done it in a while. My 2 primary examples:

Uhh... 335 HPFP failures? They never fixed that issue. I've seen a couple accounts of the new 4 banger turbo sounding like a diesel and having a lot of vibration. Count me out.

The N55 is okay I guess, I like it stock but it really has no headroom for modifications because the small turbo runs out of breath.

Hermes
01-14-2012, 09:23 AM
I agree that they haven't yet perfected it, also those two examples were pre-computer turbo technology so I agree there needs to be more engineering before I buy one but I think by 2014 I would be down for a M4 with a turbo. I think they will learn enough from the F10 M5 to make ma comfortable buying a turbo ///M. It probably doesn't help that the engineers who built the 2002 or the Brabham BT52 are probably not around anymore so their first foray back into the F/I game wasn't successful. Maybe they should hire the guys at HPF to help them out!

Also, had anybody tried a Procede tuned N54? From what I've been reading for the guy here with the X6 they seem to make a quality upgrade to the stock system

@Seth - what are your impressions from owning a 135?

zhp43867
01-14-2012, 09:35 AM

I agree that they haven't yet perfected it, also those two examples were pre-computer turbo technology so I agree there needs to be more engineering before I buy one but I think by 2014 I would be down for a M4 with a turbo. I think they will learn enough from the F10 M5 to make ma comfortable buying a turbo ///M. It probably doesn't help that the engineers who built the 2002 or the Brabham BT52 are probably not around anymore so their first foray back into the F/I game wasn't successful. Maybe they should hire the guys at HPF to help them out!

Also, had anybody tried a Procede tuned N54? From what I've been reading for the guy here with the X6 they seem to make a quality upgrade to the stock system

@Seth - what are your impressions from owning a 135?

HPF does a good job covering up when the fvck up. They blame others (in one case PROEFI, in other cases the owner). Also HPF garners no respect from me as they tune for peak HP and not drivability. HPF cars are real fun on the track I hear. :rolleyes I am too wowed by there youtube videos but I realized I'd hate owning a car like that this year.

Now hiring Nick from Technique Tuning or the guys from Lutz Performance or even MaximumPSI could make sense.

Nick makes a 330i turbo kit that makes around 450hp and 440 ft-lb of torque for our cars, with stock drivability and a crazy amount of power. You will need to upgrade your clutch for that, but the boost is seamless with virtually no lag and easy to control and I'd bet they have been more reliable to their owners than the 335i. Does not effect gas mileage, you still pass emissions, he uses the factory ECU. For F/I he has my vote without a doubt.

Hermes
01-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Those numbers on a ZHP? I want one... Really CA emissions ok? How much?

Yeah, HPF is all about straight line and show. I like corners so I'm interested in the setup you're talking about

zhp43867
01-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Those numbers on a ZHP? I want one... Really CA emissions ok? How much?

Yeah, HPF is all about straight line and show. I like corners so I'm interested in the setup you're talking about

I dunno about California emissions. :eek

And to be clear they only have listed a stage one kit for the zhp that makes around 400hp/tq but does not require a change in headgasket. I drove one. The way to describe it accurately is not power, it's thrust. It'd murder an M3. More hp and torque, and a way flatter power band.

They make a stage two (listed) for the normal 330 that makes the 450/440 numbers. I think Nick just hasn't posted the stage 2 zhp kit up, he just needed to port the software to our MS45 ECUs last time I checked.

So it'd probably be more like 460/450 for us.

Hornung418
01-14-2012, 12:32 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/3375329190_85c8d91b88.jpg

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7m4jpVovt1qapwfro1_500.jpg
The best part about the BMW M12/13 is that some of the heads had 100k+ miles and were left outside for over a year in the weather. On occasion, workers pissed on them when they were on their smoke break. Theory? If it was going to fail, it would have failed in the first Hundred-thousand miles.

johnrando
01-16-2012, 10:46 AM
They ZHP is the e30 of improved design over base model cars. (if you get what I meant there)

I think that it'd be cool for these new packages to have the package code ZHP..

Hmmm, that would be interesting if they coded the new packages that. Wonder what it would do as far as the general public's recognition of our cars (i.e. not having to explain it all the time, which isn't necessarily bad). Do they use the same codes today that they used to for other packages such as ZCW for cold weather, etc.?

EDIT: I should add, that I don't agree with the blog that the ZHP is a downrated M, it's more an uprated 330. Our cars aren't like Ms to me.

Crickett
01-16-2012, 11:38 AM
EDIT: I should add, that I don't agree with the blog that the ZHP is a downrated M, it's more an uprated 330. Our cars aren't like Ms to me.

100% agreed. ZHPs are far closer to their mother 330s than Ms, both in actual parts & in philosophy.

nike001
01-16-2012, 06:20 PM
100% agreed. ZHPs are far closer to their mother 330s than Ms, both in actual parts & in philosophy.

What would you say a 850csi is then? There's been a lot of talk with people calling that the M8, even though it was never marketed, or named as such.
-This question doesn't particularly pertain to the ZHP--M discussion, but I'm curious as to what your thoughts are.

BRGcoopahS
01-16-2012, 10:15 PM
In a way i think its somewhat of a dillution of the M brand. But at the same time I would l would LOVE to see the new F30 in 335M form. Just seeing the pics of the blue one from that auto show was great.

Hermes
01-17-2012, 03:00 AM
What would you say a 850csi is then? There's been a lot of talk with people calling that the M8, even though it was never marketed, or named as such.

That's another issue entirely... easier just not to open that can of worms as the debate is old and fierce in certain circles.

All I will say on that subject is there was only 1 true M8 ever built by Motorsport themselves and it lives in the BMW Museum in Munich. It was powered by the S70/1 (550hp) - not the McLaren F1's S70/2 or S70/3. The 1,510 E31 850CSi's were powered by the S70B56 (375hp), a related but different motor. It would be like saying the M54 and S54 are basically the same... nope.

The prototype M8:
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/faq/multipart_xF8FF_2_M8.jpg

onepercent
01-17-2012, 08:52 AM
I think this is good news, more options for people like us as our cars age (sad thought that one day I might be moving on). Dilution of the ///M brand? Yeah, maybe a little. But they will never be true ///M cars.

Bear in mind that Audi has been selling A-line cars (A4, A6, etc) with an S-Line package, so this is basically BMW covering that move by selling non-M cars with an M package.

Hermes
01-25-2012, 05:38 PM
could these be the first ones???

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m550d-132.jpg
M550d!!!

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m550d-032.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m550d-052.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m550d-touring-032.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m550d-touring-052.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m550d-252.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m550d-352.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m550d-412.jpg

read more here: BMW M550d xDrive and BMW M550d xDrive Touring (http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/01/26/bmw-m550d-xdrive-and-bmw-m550d-xdrive-touring/)

EDIT: pricing -

BMW M550d xDrive --------------------------------- 80,800 EUR
BMW M550d xDrive Touring ------------------------- 83,750 EUR
BMW X5 M50d -------------------------------------- 82,300 EUR
BMW X6 M50d -------------------------------------- 85,800 EUR

danewilson77
01-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Touring :drool

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

UdubBadger
01-25-2012, 06:13 PM
A///Merica needs moar performance wagons.

nike001
01-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Agreed. I absolutely freaking love the new 5er's. I've decided that when I'm a big boy and can afford one, that an F10 variant will be mine.

Hermes
01-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately we will not be receiving any version of the F11, maybe Canada will get it... Paging Meric/Trevor/other Canucks?

Stu
01-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Wooooo! I see a future ZHP Mafia spinoff :thumbsup

BRGcoopahS
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Yes. Too bad americans will never get them. "what did you say, it can seat my kids AND has storage space but ISNT a giant SUV?" "Nonsense, thats impossible!"

I love the new 5 series btw. In Jeremy Clarksons latest film he named the 1M and the 550D wagon the 2 best cars of the year. He said the 5 series was the best of all worlds. Fast, handles great, looks great, rides great, great gas mileage, loads of luxury, and plenty of room/trunk space. I love that thing.