PDA

View Full Version : wont stay running

Johnmadd
12-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Been driving the zhp all week to work (125 miles a day) with no problems or Ses lights. Get home tonight and eat dinner and watch some tv and go out to the car and it starts up and almost immediately cuts it self off. Every try is the same and it wont let me give it gas to stay running. Any guesses?

danewilson77
12-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Sounds like fuel cutout or loss of spark.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnmadd
12-21-2011, 07:21 PM
What would cause fuel cutoff? I was running great with no issues before shutdown. I am having problems getting video.

danewilson77
12-21-2011, 07:26 PM
My car was kind of acting this way before the FP quit. Remember?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnmadd
12-21-2011, 07:31 PM
My car was kind of acting this way before the FP quit. Remember?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I will check pressure this weekend, fp wasn't my first guess but its easy to find out.

danewilson77
12-21-2011, 07:36 PM
I will check pressure this weekend, fp wasn't my first guess but its easy to find out.

Can I know what you're first guess was?

I mean with no codes... Idk. I had codes when my FP died... So... I will keep thinking about it.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnmadd
12-21-2011, 08:15 PM
I was thinking secret code or it just didn't show up yet, or the code is not showing and That in it self was also a problem.

Johnmadd
12-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Maybe a stuck relay?

Johnmadd
12-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Here is the vid.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/johnmadd1979/2011-12-21_21-41-52_121.mp4

Meric
12-21-2011, 10:23 PM
My dad suggests you to put the key in 2 position push the gas about half the way 1/2 try to start the car like that. He is saying it should start right up.

Hornung418
12-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Battery...either it isn't charged or the Alternator is bad.

Just a guess...

Newjack
12-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Just a guess...

This actually sounds very plausible. Car wouldn't start with a failing fuel pump right? I was originally thinking the fuel filter might be clogged.

If you kept trying to start the car and the alternator was bad, you should be able to measure the voltage on the battery and notice the drain right?

Johnmadd
12-22-2011, 09:13 AM
My dad suggests you to put the key in 2 position push the gas about half the way 1/2 try to start the car like that. He is saying it should start right up.

Ill give it a shot when I get home.

Johnmadd
12-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Just a guess...

Its a new battery, not ruling it out but its unlikely. Alternator is a good suggestion.

This actually sounds very plausible. Car wouldn't start with a failing fuel pump right? I was originally thinking the fuel filter might be clogged.

If you kept trying to start the car and the alternator was bad, you should be able to measure the voltage on the battery and notice the drain right?

I did think fuel filter also, not sure how I would test that except for just change it, might have to. I was also thinking about testing the voltage, although it cranks strong every time i have tried to start it.

Going home at 1:30 today and will begin diagnosis.

Johnmadd
12-22-2011, 11:55 AM

This worked. Car started right up, idle is a little rough. Guess I'll wait for a code.

Newjack
12-22-2011, 12:51 PM
This worked. Car started right up, idle is a little rough. Guess I'll wait for a code.

I'm really curious what the problem might be, and why this trick worked.

Meric
12-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Hey good to know! Also he says there could be only 3 problems causing not to start.

1.Gas is not burning - Bad gasoline
2.Gas pump is dying.
3.Electrics like spark plugs.

@newjack
It works because when you press the gas half way pump starts building pressure and pushing gas in to the engine. Another trick if your car doesnt work in realy realy cold weather do the same thing and should start right up.

kayger12
12-23-2011, 05:53 AM

Meric's Dad, FTW!

danewilson77
12-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Meric's Dad, FTW!

Ftmfw!

He needs his own account, and needs to be a member.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Meric
12-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Meric's Dad, FTW!
Haha

Ftmfw!

He needs his own account, and needs to be a member.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I'm not sure if he can use the forum. :D He only reads newspapers on internet lol

danewilson77
12-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Ok.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Meric
12-23-2011, 02:24 PM
But dont worry ill ask him for the advice when something doesnt go rite. :)

Newjack
12-23-2011, 02:36 PM
@newjack
It works because when you press the gas half way pump starts building pressure and pushing gas in to the engine. Another trick if your car doesnt work in realy realy cold weather do the same thing and should start right up.

I didn't know that the pump would operate when the car is off. I guess it uses the batteries power. So I could potentially drain my battery faster by just playing with the pedal when the car is off?

Meric
12-23-2011, 02:38 PM
When the key is in 2nd position it will work. Dont think it will kill the battery real quick.

Newjack
12-23-2011, 02:47 PM
When the key is in 2nd position it will work. Dont think it will kill the battery real quick.

Ohhhhh ok, I forgot the key was supposed to be in position 2. Makes sense when I'm not derping while reading.

Johnmadd
12-23-2011, 05:25 PM
+1. Tell your dad thanks, haven't had any problem since and did lots of shopping and starts right up. I think it was something with the gas, I had filled it up with 93 shell right before so can't see it being the brand just some dirt or something possibly.

yura
12-23-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure if he can use the forum. :D He only reads newspapers on internet lol

How about we find a Newspaper-styled theme for the forum, with a "write the editor" textbox for him to reply into? ;)

Hermes
12-23-2011, 06:07 PM
We can teach him. I've taught my dad how to email, use his iPhone, and he even has a Facebook account. Bluetooth and voice activation in his Benz, my dad is a very tech savvy 'senior'

Meric
12-23-2011, 06:45 PM
+1. Tell your dad thanks, haven't had any problem since and did lots of shopping and starts right up. I think it was something with the gas, I had filled it up with 93 shell right before so can't see it being the brand just some dirt or something possibly.

Haha hes sayin "no problem but u owe me a coffee" :D :P

How about we find a Newspaper-styled theme for the forum, with a "write the editor" textbox for him to reply into? ;)

Hahahah yeah that would work nicely.

We can teach him. I've taught my dad how to email, use his iPhone, and he even has a Facebook account. Bluetooth and voice activation in his Benz, my dad is a very tech savvy 'senior'

Hahah hermes i know my dad if he gets stuck somewhere no matter what he will call me at night and ask what that is or what to do. If your okay ill give him ur number! lol

llll1l1ll
12-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Sorry to be tardy to the party, but I noticed your voltage light comes on after the car dies. I'm not going to say it's your battery since you have a healthy sounding crank; however, your alternator may be on the fritz. Might want to check the connections in the back.

Otherwise, I'm going to guess fuel pump or even a bad vacuum leak.

Meric
12-24-2011, 11:26 AM
It could be some little dust got stuck in the pipes or filter and clog the system.

danewilson77
12-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Have you guys seen clogged filter restore a e46 from "not running" to "running"?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT