PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please learn me on recalls?

NDubSki
12-21-2011, 10:27 AM
My driver's side taillight has a grounding issue. This has happened several times in the car's life. Two most recent times were last year around this time and this year currently. Last year I had my mechanic rig up another pin, and the issue went away... until now. Melted again, and my taillight works intermediately.
I called BMWNA just now and asked if my car, although not a 2002-2005 sedan, but nonetheless same chassis with the same issue, is eligible for the recall. After checking my VIN, I am not. I asked her how my issue is different than that of the e46 sedans, and she could not answer that, only stating that the recall is VIN specific. I explained to her that I am worried about getting rear ended with one functional taillight, and asked her what the reason for the recall was. She told me the DOT was responsible for the recall, not the manufacturer, and had no information on that (bull).

So, my question is, why is your taillight failure any different than mine, besides the fact that my car is one year older than the guidelines and has 2 fewer doors?
I know there are other solutions (LED tails, getting ANOTHER pin), but it'd be nice to know that my manufacturer has my back along with my brother's backs. I feel like the black sheep.

My only thought is that my VIN revealed to her that I have a rice banner on my car. Then I can completely understand excluding me from the recall :facepalm

danewilson77
12-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Just take it down to the dealer....don't worry about the letter. They will tell you if you're covered, then let you set up the repairs.

Or

Use my DIY to fix it yourself in like 10 minutes....

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5400-My-(Meric-s)-E46-Tail-Light-Ground-Fix....

Whitexi
12-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Recalls are covered for ever basically no matter the miles or condition of the car. The NHTSA usually issues them or can push for one if the "brand" is negligent to fix such hazards. Recalls only are issued for various reasons. NHTSA pushed recalls though if I remember right are only for safety items. Brakes, lighting, steering, faulty things basically that can cause harm to others.

What she probably meant was that DOT pushed the recall based on the number of complaints on the issue at hand. If only a major percent of owners for 02-05 sedans sent in complaints then there the most defectively counted cars. I think this issue first was addressed in 06 when the early ones started falling out of warranty etc. So if ( for example ) 100,000 02-05 sedan owners sent in complaints and only 2,000 coupes etc then im thinking that's why the sedans were the ones pushed.

Remember BMW was claiming the aftermarket bulbs I believe were the cause and didn't want to do anything other than the TSB for the cars under warranty. Being it was a safety issue the NHTSA issued the initial push to get things set straight.

So basically if I were you I would try contacting someone from the NHTSA for advice/ info because im gonna say if you go down to the dealer and ask for the fix you will be denied. I was denied and I am in the recall expected bunch but I now have a letter and am waiting on when it states I can take my car in.

llll1l1ll
12-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Recall repairs are at no cost to the owner, correct?

kayger12
12-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Correct.

Meric
12-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Send me your VIN number i'll get it checked :)