PDA

View Full Version : Derbo's ZHP

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

derbo
08-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Drop that Prius like it's hot.

And on track with my mileage? You cheat! You work that far away! I work harder for my miles because 95% of the miles are "I drive because I FEEL LIKE IT" miles! :biggrin

Well your miles are enjoyed. Mine are in a Prius. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

az3579
08-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Well your miles are enjoyed. Mine are in a Prius. :(

They don't have to be! I'm living proof of that. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

derbo
08-30-2013, 01:11 AM
in reality, maybe some TRD springs to just stiffen up the stupid float like a cadillac feel.

az3579
09-01-2013, 05:17 AM
in reality, maybe some TRD springs to just stiffen up the stupid float like a cadillac feel.

And so the modding begins.........

derbo
09-01-2013, 11:09 AM
And so the modding begins.........

No more!! It's going to stay stock so more money goes into the BMW.

az3579
09-01-2013, 04:22 PM
No more!! It's going to stay stock so more money goes into the BMW.

Good man, finally got it outta ya. Now I know where your heart still lies. :biggrin

derbo
09-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Stuff I did for the Prius was meant for convenience. Visors to vent the car since I don't have a sunroof. Xenons cause it's halo-then just plain sucks. :)

derbo
09-04-2013, 07:46 AM
I replaced my spark plugs last night. It's been over 40k. Hopefully I can get a few mpg back too. :)

derbo
09-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Just a $6 eBay one. I didn't notice a change in quality vs the OEM aux only. Your call if you wanna get something more beefy.

Cut both plugs off the GLI, and cut your OEM aux in the middle, and wire everything together. It's been like that for a year with no issues!

Alex,

I purchased a 3.5mm ground loop isolator to test with the crazy cable adapter I have setup for my iPhone. I first tested it without the GLI and it would turn off my AUX. I plugged in the GLI and then my adapter and it worked! For some reason I decided to try it again without the GLI and the AUX doesn't disappear anymore. I am so confused what just happened. It's now working without the GLI.

On a side note, I was driving over our newly finished bay bridge. Reminds me of the Wangan and Tokyo extreme racer the video game. Funny how there is an e46 and a white Prius in the pic.

Avetiso
09-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Tokyo Extreme Racer was the best! Did you flash your high beams? :rofl

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

Vas
09-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Last time I was in the Yay Area was 3 years ago and they were still building it.

Next time I visit things will be soo different.

derbo
09-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Tokyo Extreme Racer was the best! Did you flash your high beams? :rofl

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

I was about to flash the prius hahahaha

alexandre
09-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Alex,

I purchased a 3.5mm ground loop isolator to test with the crazy cable adapter I have setup for my iPhone. I first tested it without the GLI and it would turn off my AUX. I plugged in the GLI and then my adapter and it worked! For some reason I decided to try it again without the GLI and the AUX doesn't disappear anymore. I am so confused what just happened. It's now working without the GLI.

On a side note, I was driving over our newly finished bay bridge. Reminds me of the Wangan and Tokyo extreme racer the video game. Funny how there is an e46 and a white Prius in the pic.

Weird. My headunit did it randomly though - it wasn't a constant thing but common and annoying enough to hardwire the thing. Keep it in the glovebox at least!

derbo
09-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Weird. My headunit did it randomly though - it wasn't a constant thing but common and annoying enough to hardwire the thing. Keep it in the glovebox at least!

Yea, I have it in my glovebox for the time being. The 30minutes I spent fiddling with it yesterday didn't turn off the AUX so :shrug

derbo
09-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Last time I was in the Yay Area was 3 years ago and they were still building it.

Next time I visit things will be soo different.

It's not too bad of a difference. I will miss the S curves on the bridge during the late nights but I wont miss them during rush hour.

derbo
09-08-2013, 10:04 AM

I drive it one day and I get a SES light on. HAHA will have to diagnose.

derbo
09-09-2013, 11:41 PM

After reading into it more on the GT1, I see the lean codes are right after installing the AFE intake. Maybe the drive adaptations need to be reset?

I reset the codes and haven't driven it since. Hopefully that does the trick. I don't feel like finding the problem right now. lol

Sent by Mobile

derbo
10-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Minor Update:

Ran into the same codes again after driving again,

P0171/74.

I figured it had to be a vacumm leak since it just happened when I installed the AFE intake. I inspected the boot and low and behold, cracks! It actually is a big hole..

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lt2fUWFuHiU/UmDYLCLLS9I/AAAAAAAAEao/Sxtny92aXBg/w491-h872-no/IMG_20131017_234014995_HDR.jpg

I'm thinking of ordering some silicon intake boots so I don't have to see this again. Looks like in 2010, the lower boot was replaced but not the top one.

Hermes
10-17-2013, 10:50 PM
I think S54, ITB's, and CSL airbox will solve your issues permanently ;)

derbo
10-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I think S54, ITB's, and CSL airbox will solve your issues permanently ;)

I like your thinking JP. :)

Hermes
10-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Anytime Derek... and P60B40 would work even better!

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/pictures/Cars/bmw/m3_gtr_strasse/2002_bmw_m3_gtr_strass-5.jpg

Lanister
10-18-2013, 12:47 AM
Minor Update:

Ran into the same codes again after driving again,

P0171/74.

I figured it had to be a vacumm leak since it just happened when I installed the AFE intake. I inspected the boot and low and behold, cracks! It actually is a big hole..

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lt2fUWFuHiU/UmDYLCLLS9I/AAAAAAAAEao/Sxtny92aXBg/w491-h872-no/IMG_20131017_234014995_HDR.jpg

I'm thinking of ordering some silicon intake boots so I don't have to see this again. Looks like in 2010, the lower boot was replaced but not the top one.

Bollocks dude!

At least it's the upper one and not the lower one that has to be replaced.

Speaking of silicone version, is it supposed to have a longer life? Who carries such an attractive alternative?

derbo
10-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Giya,
Stett Perf makes one

http://www.shop.stettperformance.com/product.sc?productId=22&categoryId=4

http://www.shop.stettperformance.com/images/IMG_2378.jpg

its $155.00 and backordered. I emailed them to ask when they will have it back in stock. I need one before Nov 17th Trackday. I already ordered a new fuel filter and new OEM elbow. It's cheap enough to just install for the time being.

The silicon wont tear and crack the like the rubber one. You basically wouldn't have to replace that boot anymore.

derbo
10-18-2013, 10:29 AM

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/pictures/Cars/bmw/m3_gtr_strasse/2002_bmw_m3_gtr_strass-5.jpg

I'm sure sourcing one of these must be a pain.. :innocent

But those Strut tower reinforcements look AWESOME.

Lanister
10-18-2013, 10:31 AM
:thumbsup

Sounds like a worth-while investment if you're willing to wait a bit. How often do the OEM boots go? I've noticed my upper one is showing cracks at 90k but who knows how long ago that started.

derbo
10-18-2013, 10:34 AM

Sounds like a worth-while investment if you're willing to wait a bit. How often do the OEM boots go? I've noticed my upper one is showing cracks at 90k but who knows how long ago that started.

Well I already ordered an OEM upper boot for the time being. If stett replies, I will order the silicon one.

They tend to go out pretty often. Especially with an aftermarket intake that isnt bolted down. My lower boot was replaced in 2010, I already see minor cracking already but no tears yet.a P0171/74 code is usually a vacuum leak in that area, DISA valve, intake boot or MAF.

Hermes
10-18-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm sure sourcing one of these must be a pain.. :innocent

But those Strut tower reinforcements look AWESOME.

Nah... they must have made at least a few hundred GTR race engines. There were only 10 street cars so those won't be easy to get, but why would you want the detuned version anyways

derbo
10-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Nah... they must have made at least a few hundred GTR race engines. There were only 10 street cars so those won't be easy to get, but why would you want the detuned version anyways

I think an E92 S65 is an order..

derbo
10-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Giya,

Hello Derek,

Thank you for contacting us. We don't have an exact eta right now but probably 45-60 days.

Sincerely,

Stett Performance

cyberkaa
10-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Oh man, a P60B40 or a P65B44 would be so awesome...

derbo
10-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Oh man, a P60B40 or a P65B44 would be so awesome...

Find me one Kalim.

sent from a Moto X

cyberkaa
10-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Find me one Kalim.

sent from a Moto X

I found one for sale, but you'd have to part out the $500k race car it's installed in to get it. LOL

derbo
10-18-2013, 10:54 PM
I found one for sale, but you'd have to part out the $500k race car it's installed in to get it. LOL

LOL. Let's do it. I only can afford $400/month 0.9% Apr.

sent from a Moto X

cyberkaa
10-18-2013, 11:11 PM
LOL. Let's do it. I only can afford $400/month 0.9% Apr.

sent from a Moto X

Hahaha

cakM3
10-19-2013, 04:20 AM

:drool :drool :drool :drool

derbo
10-20-2013, 01:04 PM
I've ordered G.A.S. DISA valve replacement with the fluorosilicone ring. I honestly don't even know if my DISA valves with the DME update I recieved for the DIP. Either way, my intake boots were out so it be easier to just do the DISA valve anyways.

:)

http://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/disa_products/m54_m52tu/m54_disa_repair_kit/product_images/Kit%20Includes%203.0L.JPG

Lanister
10-20-2013, 01:22 PM

derbo
10-24-2013, 11:39 PM
I decided to finish up the disa replacement and put everything back together.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/25/6uhubehe.jpg

While reinstalling the new boot and maf sensor into the intake, the little maf snap connector fell off in between the alternator and engine. :facepalm

I ended up doing a halfway alternator removal to get the piece back. What a night!

Sent from a Moto X

az3579
10-25-2013, 07:53 AM
^ Good thing the alternator's easy to get out... :)

fredo
10-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Apparently, it makes a difference if the car is auto vs manual. Not sure which one is harder. I'm talking about alternator removal.

derbo
10-25-2013, 08:34 AM
^ Good thing the alternator's easy to get out... :)

Seriously thank God I am a manual with an electric fan.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

cakM3
10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Seriously thank God I am a manual with an electric fan.

That's one thing I love about my ZHP but the ///M is not set up that way....:/

derbo
10-25-2013, 08:51 AM
That's one thing I love about my ZHP but the ///M is not set up that way....:/

Well there is one way to fix this...

On another note unrelated to the car, my moto x decided to try and OTA update. Unfortunately my root method removes recovery and forced it into a boot loop. I spent the rest of the night reverting my phone back to stock with fastboot and then doing the OTA. In the end I have no root and a silly update. Been a wonderful night!

Newjack
10-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Well there is one way to fix this...

On another note unrelated to the car, my moto x decided to try and OTA update. Unfortunately my root method removes recovery and forced it into a boot loop. I spent the rest of the night reverting my phone back to stock with fastboot and then doing the OTA. In the end I have no root and a silly update. Been a wonderful night!

As a previous owner of the LG Revolution, the worlds shittiest phone, I feel your pain. Seriously, I feel your pain.

cyberkaa
10-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Nice, haha. No more DISA funkiness, I hope.

Too bad about the MAF clip and the cantankerous MotoX eating your night. :(

derbo
10-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Nice, haha. No more DISA funkiness, I hope.

Too bad about the MAF clip and the cantankerous MotoX eating your night. :(

Thanks Kalim. Found out I could've just wiped the user cache to delete the OTA update download and it would've stop bootlooping....

I drove the BMW today to work, but I noticed the DISA valve area, there is a louder vacuum? That doesn't seem to be good.. lol...

derbo
10-25-2013, 10:42 AM
As a previous owner of the LG Revolution, the worlds shittiest phone, I feel your pain. Seriously, I feel your pain.

Makes me wonder why I went Android again. LOL

Lanister
10-25-2013, 11:19 AM
I have one thing to say about Android... GS4 or bust. :)

derbo
10-25-2013, 11:27 AM
I ultimately blame Verizon. They are the worst carrier to have an android phone on.

cyberkaa
10-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Kalim. Found out I could've just wiped the user cache to delete the OTA update download and it would've stop bootlooping....

I drove the BMW today to work, but I noticed the DISA valve area, there is a louder vacuum? That doesn't seem to be good.. lol...

Oh yeah. I forgot about that, too. They did make the update procedure somewhat safe. :P

I'm hoping that DISA vacuum noise is just in your head and not a real problem, haha.

Lanister
10-25-2013, 12:32 PM
I ultimately blame Verizon. They are the worst carrier to have an android phone on.

Seems fine for me, but I haven't gotten around to rooting my phone yet. I keep thinking about it from time to time but I don't have the time!

Newjack
10-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Makes me wonder why I went Android again. LOL

It wasn't the android OS that I didn't like. It was just how horrible the specs were on the revolution. LG had so much bloatware and stupid shit on that phone that you couldn't remove without rooting it. Seriously why do I need a blockbuster app on my phone that I can't uninstall?

Rooting the phone was the only way to make it usable, and then Verizon would force you to update your phone to get the update and it would bootloop my phone. So my phone was useless until I spent an hour or so reinstalling the regular os, rooting it again and reinstalling a new version of the os.

I switched because a $90 a month plan for 300 minutes 500 texts and only 2gb of data is borderline illegal.

T-Mobile on a family plan right now. $50 a month and unlimited everything no throttling. Oh and my plan is month to month. No contract.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Lanister
10-25-2013, 01:05 PM
It wasn't the android OS that I didn't like. It was just how horrible the specs were on the revolution. LG had so much bloatware and stupid shit on that phone that you couldn't remove without rooting it. Seriously why do I need a blockbuster app on my phone that I can't uninstall?

Rooting the phone was the only way to make it usable, and then Verizon would force you to update your phone to get the update and it would bootloop my phone. So my phone was useless until I spent an hour or so reinstalling the regular os, rooting it again and reinstalling a new version of the os.

Yeah, that sounds pretty tedious. My Verizon GS3 does have a few apps I don't care for but overall I'm quite happy with everything, especially after upgrading the battery to 4300mAh.

I switched because a $90 a month plan for 300 minutes 500 texts and only 2gb of data is borderline illegal.

T-Mobile on a family plan right now. $50 a month and unlimited everything no throttling. Oh and my plan is month to month. No contract.

Yeah, that does sound very tedious indeed. My Verizon GS3 does come with a few apps I don't care for but it's pretty good otherwise. Especially after upgrading the battery to 4300mAh. Quite happy overall.

derbo
10-25-2013, 01:21 PM

I agree. Even the Developer's edition of Verizon Moto X had bloatware from Verizon. Wasn't the reason I got a developer's edition so I can have unlocked bootloader and no bloatware from a carrier? Oh wait, thats only the GSM one. Unfortunately, I pay for my parents two lines and my brother's line so I am forever tied into a heavy family plan. 3 of us have grandfathered unlimited data plans so it's hard to let go of those. $300/month for 3 iphones, 1 android. 3 unlimited lines 1 2GB line.. 1400minutes/unlimited text. :\

I always root my Android phones to remove the bloatware but the stupid OTA update decided to activate while I was working on the ZHP. I should've frozen the update.apk with Titanium Backup..

Driving around, there seems to sound like a vacuum leak near the DISA but it sounds internal where the DISA flapper resides. Anyone else notice this when they did a GAS replacement?

Newjack
10-25-2013, 03:11 PM
I agree. Even the Developer's edition of Verizon Moto X had bloatware from Verizon. Wasn't the reason I got a developer's edition so I can have unlocked bootloader and no bloatware from a carrier? Oh wait, thats only the GSM one. Unfortunately, I pay for my parents two lines and my brother's line so I am forever tied into a heavy family plan. 3 of us have grandfathered unlimited data plans so it's hard to let go of those. $300/month for 3 iphones, 1 android. 3 unlimited lines 1 2GB line.. 1400minutes/unlimited text. :\

I always root my Android phones to remove the bloatware but the stupid OTA update decided to activate while I was working on the ZHP. I should've frozen the update.apk with Titanium Backup..

Driving around, there seems to sound like a vacuum leak near the DISA but it sounds internal where the DISA flapper resides. Anyone else notice this when they did a GAS replacement?

Not having to root my phone is exactly why I got my nexus 4. Best phone I have ever owned. Pure android. No HTC sense, no bloatware no extra apps. Its purely android and it works fantastic. Its not the newest phone on the market anymore, but I have never felt like my phone is slow or can't keep up with newer phones. Best part was it was only $300 for the phone UNLOCKED.

As for your disa problem, I did the gas kit on my disa and didn't notice any vacuum noises afterwards. My are intake causes a weird vacuum noise though at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle.

derbo
10-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Not having to root my phone is exactly why I got my nexus 4. Best phone I have ever owned. Pure android. No HTC sense, no bloatware no extra apps. Its purely android and it works fantastic. Its not the newest phone on the market anymore, but I have never felt like my phone is slow or can't keep up with newer phones. Best part was it was only $300 for the phone UNLOCKED.

As for your disa problem, I did the gas kit on my disa and didn't notice any vacuum noises afterwards. My are intake causes a weird vacuum noise though at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle.

Totally agree. Shame no nexus phone is on verizon (galaxy nexus is a sad excuse for a nexus phone. ie. no updates.) I personally wanted the Moto X due to the active notifications (ingenious for an AMOLED screen) and that it was the first phone under google's ownership and its as close to stock google as any verizon phone is going to get. I'll leave this to another thread, since this is getting a little longer in the tooth with android issues/problems/benefits.

back on topic,

I will have to re-inspect my DISA valve. I haven't driven my BMW daily so I forgot how the engine is suppose to sound like. I may be just overanalyzing the sound that may just be a little in volume than I am used to.

Thanks Rob :)

Newjack
10-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Totally agree. Shame no nexus phone is on verizon (galaxy nexus is a sad excuse for a nexus phone. ie. no updates.) I personally wanted the Moto X due to the active notifications (ingenious for an AMOLED screen) and that it was the first phone under google's ownership and its as close to stock google as any verizon phone is going to get. I'll leave this to another thread, since this is getting a little longer in the tooth with android issues/problems/benefits.

back on topic,

I will have to re-inspect my DISA valve. I haven't driven my BMW daily so I forgot how the engine is suppose to sound like. I may be just overanalyzing the sound that may just be a little in volume than I am used to.

Thanks Rob :)

No problem! The only thing I can think of is that maybe the old gasket wasn't completely scraped off when you put the GAS gasket on the DISA. I just know that my intake causes a weird whistling noise when using different amounts of throttle and I didn't immediately notice the noise.

derbo
10-27-2013, 08:54 AM
No problem! The only thing I can think of is that maybe the old gasket wasn't completely scraped off when you put the GAS gasket on the DISA. I just know that my intake causes a weird whistling noise when using different amounts of throttle and I didn't immediately notice the noise.

I will have to double check. I ordered the blue gasket. Flourosilicon or something. That existing gasket was a pain to remove!

sent from a Moto X

danewilson77
10-27-2013, 04:09 PM
I will have to daaaa-ble check. I ordered the blue gasket. Flourosilicon or something. That existing gasket was a pain to remove!

sent from a Moto X

Fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB4PY8Wa10

derbo
10-27-2013, 10:12 PM
LOL nice Dane.

sent from a Moto X

derbo
11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/05/gyquvenu.jpg

Came from UK faster than I thought!

sent from a Moto X

derbo
11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Updated my mod list. :X

Current Mod List 11/04/2013

Exterior:
BMW Euro Ashperical Side Mirrors
BMW OEM Performance Grilles

Interior:
BMW Euro Center Console Storage Tray
BMW Euro First Aid Underseat box
BMW Euro LCM w/ Rear Fog light button
BMW OEM Rear side shade kit
BMW OEM Bluetooth Antenna
BMW OEM Auxillary kit
BMW OEM E90 Compass/Homelink/Autodim Rear View Mirror
Recaro SPG

Suspension:
BMW OEM Subframe Reinforcement Injection Foam
BMW OEM Front Strut Reinforcement Plates
BMW OEM E46 M3 Strut Bar
BMW OEM E92 M3 Motor Mounts
RE Transmission Mounts
Turner Motorsport RTAB Limiters
Turner Motosport 12.5mm Wheel Spacers
Ground Control Coilovers
Ground Control Camber Plates
Ground Control Rear Shock Mounts
Swift Coilover Springs 8 kg/mm // 10 kg/mm
Apex ARC8 17x8.5 +40 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Star Specs
Bimmerworld Race 82mm Wheelstuds
Muteki SR48 Black Lugnuts

Brakes:
BMW OEM Performance Front Rotors
BMW OEM E46 M3 Rear Brakes
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Bimmerworld Brake Duct Cooling Kit
ECS 6-Piston Front Big Brake Kit
HardBrakes Ti Brake shields
Carbotech XP10 Front Pads/XP8 Rear Pads

Engine/Drivetrain:
BMW OEM E46 M3 LSD Swap
BMW OEM E46 M3 Fuel Pump Baffle
BMW OEM Z3M Shift Lever
GAS DISA Valve Repair
Clutch Delay Valve Delete
AFE Intake
Corse TSE3 Exhaust

Lanister
11-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Came from UK faster than I thought!

sent from a Moto X

4.0? :D

derbo
11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Lol nope. Just 3.11 with rear fog :)

4.0 is too expensive for just triple blink. I can't justify it.

sent from a Moto X

Lanister
11-04-2013, 05:29 PM
So the face plate can be moved from LCM to LCM without altering the version?

derbo
11-04-2013, 05:35 PM
So the face plate can be moved from LCM to LCM without altering the version?

Yup. Faceplate swap. So you can get a euro faceplate and swap it onto yours :)

sent from a Moto X

Lanister
11-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Hmm, for whatever reason I just can't get exited about the euro face plate. Granted, I have so many things on my list of to-do's that it simply goes out of focus for now. In time, perhaps :)

derbo
11-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Hmm, for whatever reason I just can't get exited about the euro face plate. Granted, I have so many things on my list of to-do's that it simply goes out of focus for now. In time, perhaps :)

I don't blame you. It gets your rear fogs. That's about it. Since I invested so much time in figuring out the options to enable it, I figure I might as well finish it.

sent from a Moto X

derbo
11-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Boom. Works perfectly.

Now to figure out how to turn off front corners when low beam is on but stay on when the low beam is off.

sent from a Moto X

derbo
11-04-2013, 10:38 PM
I did a little fiddling on NCSexpert and I think I got it figured out.

SIDEMARKER_US aktiv / nicht_aktiv US mode sidemarker
BLK_DIMMEN aktiv / nicht_aktiv Dimmed Turn Signals
SL_VO_ANSTEUERUNG aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Front Parking Lights Control
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_LI aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Cold Monitoring left parking light
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_RE aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Cold Monitoring right parking light
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_RE aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Warm Monitor right parking light
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_LI aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Warm Monitor left parking light

Scenario:
Parking lights on, Headlights off: Front corner lights are on (US style)
Headlights on: Front corners are off (Euro Style).

The biggest peeve when running with SIDEMARKER_US nicht_aktiv was that when the car had the parking lights on, the front was invisible. I do not have city lights installed so the front end was completely black especially since my car is black. I loved the way the xenon headlights look without the orange corners and was planning to install city lights to run them like euro style. However this will hold me over for now while feeling semi safe about the car having parking lights in the front.

az3579
11-05-2013, 07:39 PM
^ Good solution considering you don't have city lights or angel eyes.
For me the city lights are just enough to be visible. If you can't see the city lights, then it's bright enough outside where you don't need any lights; this is a good rule of thumb.

My faceplate came awfully quick as well. I only ordered it last week, and the estimated ETA was about a month from now, so I'm certainly not complaining. :biggrin

derbo
11-05-2013, 08:09 PM
^ Good solution considering you don't have city lights or angel eyes.
For me the city lights are just enough to be visible. If you can't see the city lights, then it's bright enough outside where you don't need any lights; this is a good rule of thumb.

My faceplate came awfully quick as well. I only ordered it last week, and the estimated ETA was about a month from now, so I'm certainly not complaining. :biggrin

Thanks BP. It's only a solution because I don't have either. If I do have city lights, I wouldn't have to worry. :D

Yea I order an euro faceplate and I got it within a 5 days including a weekend.

derbo
11-08-2013, 03:55 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/09/eqazesu2.jpg

I Drove the car to work yesterday. It feels so much better than the Prius. Hahaha.

Update:
The city lights check to turn on the corner lights seen to be inconsistent turning on. I will need to investigate more on it.

sent from a Moto X

echo46
11-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I would hope so...:)

derbo
11-08-2013, 04:48 PM
I would hope so...:)

Sometimes I think I should trade in my Prius for a Porsche 911 GT3

sent from a Moto X

cyberkaa
11-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Sometimes I think I should trade in my Prius for a Porsche 911 GT3

sent from a Moto X

Do it! Haha.

echo46
11-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Me too.

az3579
11-09-2013, 02:35 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/09/eqazesu2.jpg

I Drove the car to work yesterday. It feels so much better than the Prius. Hahaha.

Update:
The city lights check to turn on the corner lights seen to be inconsistent turning on. I will need to investigate more on it.

sent from a Moto X

Wow, you parked near the Holy Outback; it's so Holy it's radiating light that blinds humans. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

derbo
11-09-2013, 04:10 PM
LOL BP. Yes the moto x camera sucks :(

Today's highlights:

Adjusted front sway bar to full stiffness.
Installed carbotech brake pads and BMW performance rotors for track day.
Installed recaro spg back in.
Cleaned front wheel sensors and hub.
Replaced broken exhaust hanger
Washed the car to look prettier while racing.

The BMW performance brakes sure look pretty with the matching rotors.

sent from a Moto X

Vas
11-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Looks good

PirateZHP
11-09-2013, 04:12 PM
LOL BP. Yes the moto x camera sucks :(

Today's highlights:

Adjusted front sway bar to full stiffness.
Installed carbotech brake pads and BMW performance rotors for track day.
Installed recaro spg back in.
Cleaned front wheel sensors and hub.
Replaced broken exhaust hanger
Washed the car to look prettier while racing.

The BMW performance brakes sure look pretty with the matching rotors.

sent from a Moto X

Looking dang good, Derek!

With fingers touching the screen...

derbo
11-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys :)

Carbotech looks to have its last trip to the track. I will need to order some new brake pads after this trackday. I still have to brake flush the car and it will be ready :)

az3579
11-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys :)

Carbotech looks to have its last trip to the track. I will need to order some new brake pads after this trackday. I still have to brake flush the car and it will be ready :)

What will you be ordering?
Once I wear out my Hawk HP+ pads, I will be going with the EBC Yellowstuff. I hear it's the same grade of pad, but without the horrendous screeching you get when coming to a stop on the street. They say the HP+ is streetable but my bleeding ears beg to differ, not to mention the fact that a trip down the street will turn the wheels black.

And BTW, I friggin' love ambers on your car. They look perfect, and despite not being a perfect match, are still a great combo with those calipers. :thumbsup

derbo
11-09-2013, 06:01 PM
What will you be ordering?
Once I wear out my Hawk HP+ pads, I will be going with the EBC Yellowstuff. I hear it's the same grade of pad, but without the horrendous screeching you get when coming to a stop on the street. They say the HP+ is streetable but my bleeding ears beg to differ, not to mention the fact that a trip down the street will turn the wheels black.

And BTW, I friggin' love ambers on your car. They look perfect, and despite not being a perfect match, are still a great combo with those calipers. :thumbsup

Thanks BP! The best part is that the car comes with them and I didnt have to shell out anything for ambers! :)

I had HP+ experience in my brother's honda fit and my old civic. Great set of pads for track days, horrendous for daily driving because of the screeching. The compromises of a track pad that can deliever low dust, low noise but loads of track bite is a hard pad to find.

I've actually been very happy with my Carbotech XP10s. They screech but not as bad as the HP+ but their brake dust is high too. This is the SOLE reason I use OEM brake pads and rotors for regular driving.. But I might switch to XP12s in the front and rear instead of the XP10 front and XP8 rear.

You might be interested in the autocross compound that is lower temp range.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1100°F + (10°C to 593°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures and excellent cold stopping power. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross and has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its outstanding all around performance. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as race compounds in most applications. For application questions please call or email Carbotech™.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp

derbo
11-09-2013, 07:13 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/10/uzypezer.jpg

Debating what to do with the driver seat bolster damage like this. :/

I tried to take a rear fog pic with the Moto X but it was terrible. Results displease me. Its super bright and no one can see my license plate. LOL

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/10/ahyje5em.jpg

sent from a Moto X

Avetiso
11-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Is that just wear and tear on the seat, or did something happen?

QC_ZHP
11-09-2013, 09:07 PM
How does the car feel on the street with sways at full stiffness? I have my Hotchkis' in the middle setting up front and the PSS9's at 6 all the way around. It can be a bit harsh on bad roads, so I'm thinking of softening the damper and stiffening up the sway bars for DDing. I'm still tinkering with the setup.

Johal E32
11-09-2013, 09:58 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/10/uzypezer.jpg

Debating what to do with the driver seat bolster damage like this. :/

I tried to take a rear fog pic with the Moto X but it was terrible. Results displease me. Its super bright and no one can see my license plate. LOL

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/10/ahyje5em.jpg

sent from a Moto X

I have great experience with Alex's auto-upholstery in Walnut Creek.
http://www.alexautoupholstery.com/Alex_Auto_Upholstery/Welcome.html

derbo
11-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Is that just wear and tear on the seat, or did something happen?

Normal wear and tear. Definitely looks terrible. :(

How does the car feel on the street with sways at full stiffness? I have my Hotchkis' in the middle setting up front and the PSS9's at 6 all the way around. It can be a bit harsh on bad roads, so I'm thinking of softening the damper and stiffening up the sway bars for DDing. I'm still tinkering with the setup.

I haven't driven the car yet. LOL. I will let you know. However as Kyle would start to mention, too much stiffness can cause more under steer. I am running 3 degrees of camber up front and 2.2 in the rear. This in part may allow the sway bars to be stiffer than a less aggressive camber setup. I'm also setting up the car with the inclusion of my LSD. With an open differential, it may be too stiff up front as well.

I have great experience with Alex's auto-upholstery in Walnut Creek.
http://www.alexautoupholstery.com/Alex_Auto_Upholstery/Welcome.html

Thanks man. I'll shoot them an email while the seat is still out and see what they can quote me. Hopefully it's not an arm and a leg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) 2

QC_ZHP
11-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I haven't driven the car yet. LOL. I will let you know. However as Kyle would start to mention, too much stiffness can cause more under steer. I am running 3 degrees of camber up front and 2.2 in the rear. This in part may allow the sway bars to be stiffer than a less aggressive camber setup. I'm also setting up the car with the inclusion of my LSD. With an open differential, it may be too stiff up front as well.

Good info, I'm scheduled for an alignment in a week. I'm thinking of going around ~1.4 up front and 2.1 out back. Please stop rubbing the LSD in our faces:jealous:

Johal E32
11-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Normal wear and tear. Definitely looks terrible. :(

Thanks man. I'll shoot them an email while the seat is still out and see what they can quote me. Hopefully it's not an arm and a leg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) 2

Should be reasonable. He did the headliner in my Dads and I (father son project) Lincoln. Only charged $235 and did an amazing job.

johnrando
11-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Let us know how the fix goes. Wonder if they'd have to do the whole seat?

derbo
11-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Good info, I'm scheduled for an alignment in a week. I'm thinking of going around ~1.4 up front and 2.1 out back. Please stop rubbing the LSD in our faces:jealous:

I have to. :rofl. Why so little up front and so much out back? i would keep the front higher than the rear or equal for handling. Also set front toe to zero and maybe 3/16" toeIN in the rear.

Should be reasonable. He did the headliner in my Dads and I (father son project) Lincoln. Only charged $235 and did an amazing job.

Thats good to hear. I'm a little worried about the seat being costly though if he has to replace the whole seat cover.

Let us know how the fix goes. Wonder if they'd have to do the whole seat?

I hope not, but I would like the holes to look like they were never there. The fabric I would like to look similar in age to the rest of it, if it is redone. It would look funny if the whole car alcantara is aged and then suddenly my driver seat is magically perfect and new.

echo46
11-12-2013, 07:28 AM
How did the headliner turn out.

LivesNearCostco
11-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Maybe to be more like stock--more neg camber in back than front to promote understeer for safety?

I have to. :rofl. Why so little up front and so much out back? i would keep the front higher than the rear or equal for handling. Also set front toe to zero and maybe 3/16" toeIN in the rear.

Avetiso
11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Derek, check the SF meet thread, please. :) I want to see that black beauty there if at all possible!

QC_ZHP
11-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Maybe to be more like stock--more neg camber in back than front to promote understeer for safety?

Those are just the numbers I've came up with in my 'research'. I'm all ears though if someone sees improvements. The car is primarily a DD, but lets just say I take the backroads home every day, so I'm looking for a good balance of performance and practicality. It should see some track time next season, as soon I stop spending all my disposable income on mods/maintenance!

LivesNearCostco
11-12-2013, 01:32 PM
-1.4 front and -2.1 rear seem like pretty close to stock sport settings and should give you good handling. I think stock is around -1.2 front -2.0 rear? But the E46 is designed to understeer at the limit with stock setup: staggered tires, less front camber, low front spring rates, etc. Derek is looking for balanced handling where all 4 wheels will start to slide at the same time when he's at the limit, so he can do an awesome 4-wheel drift around the corners and impress everyone! :-)

I'm fine with understeer on the street so if I screw up I have more chance to recover. But on the track and at AUtoX I also aim for balanced handling (or very slight understeer). In theory I try to run about -2.0/-1.9 camber for street (still understeers with staggered tires), -3.0/-2.1 camber for track. Also try to get front toe to slight toe-out for track, slight toe-in for street. I'm getting faster at adjusting rear camber!

QC_ZHP
11-12-2013, 01:54 PM
-1.4 front and -2.1 rear seem like pretty close to stock sport settings and should give you good handling. I think stock is around -1.2 front -2.0 rear? But the E46 is designed to understeer at the limit with stock setup: staggered tires, less front camber, low front spring rates, etc. Derek is looking for balanced handling where all 4 wheels will start to slide at the same time when he's at the limit, so he can do an awesome 4-wheel drift around the corners and impress everyone! :-)

I'm fine with understeer on the street so if I screw up I have more chance to recover. But on the track and at AUtoX I also aim for balanced handling (or very slight understeer). In theory I try to run about -2.0/-1.9 camber for street (still understeers with staggered tires), -3.0/-2.1 camber for track. Also try to get front toe to slight toe-out for track, slight toe-in for street. I'm getting faster at adjusting rear camber!

So.Much.To.Learn.

I really appreciate the info! Sorry for the thread jack derbo.

derbo
11-12-2013, 03:55 PM
How did the headliner turn out.

You meant seat? I haven't gotten a response from the upholstery guy yet. I emailed him yesterday morning.

Derek, check the SF meet thread, please. :) I want to see that black beauty there if at all possible!

I'm not sure I will be able to. I am driving up to Willows, CA in the afternoon. There maybe a slight chance (33%) I can come by in the morning if my gf lets me. (whiplash noise)

LOL 4wheel drift? I like a more neutral feel the car and I think with your track setup, its a lovely setup. Its close to what I have. Do you have camber arms in the rear? Since Toe changes with the camber adjustments, I've been hesitate to try changing it on the fly during track days till I get some expert advice about it.

QC,

Toe is the main culprit for fast worn tires. If you do backroads alot, the camber will be beneficial and the tires could evenly wear. I say set the front toe to 0 cause its your daily driver and set the rear toe to 3/16th' toe IN for some better exit traction.

For camber -3 / -2.1 is a good setup for fun. if it is too aggressive, you can go with John's -2/1.9 setup.

cyberkaa
11-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure I will be able to. I am driving up to Willows, CA in the afternoon. There maybe a slight chance (33%) I can come by in the morning if my gf lets me. (whiplash noise)

Haha http://s1.e46fanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/zzwhip.gif
You should bring Chloe with you!

derbo
11-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Haha http://s1.e46fanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/zzwhip.gif
You should bring Chloe with you!

Spending her saturday morning at 9am at TI is not her first choice of things to do. 1st choice is sleep. HAHAHA

cyberkaa
11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Spending her saturday morning at 9am at TI is not her first choice of things to do. 1st choice is sleep. HAHAHA

Bahaha

LivesNearCostco
11-12-2013, 05:59 PM
I just got back from Willows, which makes me beholden to my wife to possibly be at home all next weekend. (whiplash noise).
I don't have adjustable camber arms in the rear; use the stock eccentric bolt to adjust camber. It does change toe but I heard the rear toe changes only slightly with camber changes so I don't worry about it. I'm only changing rear camber 0.2 or 0.3 degrees.

LOL 4wheel drift? I like a more neutral feel the car and I think with your track setup, its a lovely setup. Its close to what I have. Do you have camber arms in the rear? Since Toe changes with the camber adjustments, I've been hesitate to try changing it on the fly during track days till I get some expert advice about it.

derbo
11-13-2013, 08:22 AM
I just got back from Willows, which makes me beholden to my wife to possibly be at home all next weekend. (whiplash noise).
I don't have adjustable camber arms in the rear; use the stock eccentric bolt to adjust camber. It does change toe but I heard the rear toe changes only slightly with camber changes so I don't worry about it. I'm only changing rear camber 0.2 or 0.3 degrees.

Yea toe doesn't change too much but it does change a bit. Did you adjust your camber during trackdays? Unfortunately one of my eccentric bolts is stuck. (Right side). I need to order a new set and see if I can remove them and replace.

LivesNearCostco
11-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Do you know which way rear toe changes with camber change?

For track days I always adjust front camber and sometimes adjust rear camber. For front, I used to just jack up each corner and change camber while swapping the wheel. Since installing Hotchkis bar, this is very hard, presumably because bar is applying upward pressure from other side. Often have to jack up whole front from center jack point to adjust front camber. Rear camber can still be adjusted one wheel at a time just need 18mm wrench + 18mm socket.

Last weekend I made rear camber more negative during lunch on Saturday, but forgot to change it back Sunday evening because I was stressed about my brake pads. Maybe tomorrow will return rear camber to where I marked it after last alignment, which should be about -1.9°.

derbo
11-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Adding negative camber also adds toe out. I used to run 1.5 degrees up front with some toe in and when I went to track 3 it would have some toe out

The rear isn't as much.

sent from a Moto X

derbo
11-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Wish I took more pics!

sent from a Moto X

Vas
11-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Looks great.

Lanister
11-19-2013, 09:00 AM
sexy! :thumbsup

derbo
11-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys! I'll see if I have time to go through more video footage. Most of it is boring hahaha

sent from a Moto X

PirateZHP
11-19-2013, 09:04 AM
:drool

cyberkaa
11-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Track mode FTW!

QC_ZHP
11-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Love it. Do you use the 135's on the street?

derbo
11-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Love it. Do you use the 135's on the street?

Thanks guys!

My 135s have not been on the car for at least 5 months. I don't daily drive the BMW anymore, and when I do, I feel like I should always drive it in "track mode" minus the Recaro bucket seat and track pads.

edit:

I have thought about keeping it in track mode at all times since I barely drive it anyways.. It would save me alot more time to not change it back to stock again. I've been looking into getting 18" rims again and getting Stoptech all around.. :X Gotta look into the front M3 Spindles so I can rock 355mm Stoptech all around O_O or even better, stock ZCP brakes :D

QC_ZHP
11-19-2013, 07:59 PM
I like your style. Might as well go 18 if its not being driven much. You thinking arc-8's again?

derbo
11-19-2013, 09:50 PM
I like your style. Might as well go 18 if its not being driven much. You thinking arc-8's again?

Its a lot of hassle. I literally just bought 17s. Haha.

Not sure what I want to do with the brake situation just yet.

sent from a Moto X

Lanister
11-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't 18's slow you down on the track vs 17s? I always thought that 17's were optimal for track. But I guess it all depends on weight.

derbo
11-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Wouldn't 18's slow you down on the track vs 17s? I always thought that 17's were optimal for track. But I guess it all depends on weight.

Its a moot point. 18s will allow a larger brake setup and if I choose the lighter rims, it can be equal to the weight of the 17s. There is also less rubber on the sidewall which can reduce some roll.

The real reason to go to 18s again is for brake clearance.

sent from a Moto X

Lanister
11-20-2013, 09:37 AM
werd

az3579
11-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Gotta look into the front M3 Spindles so I can rock 355mm Stoptech all around O_O or even better, stock ZCP brakes :D

Why do you think stock ZCP brakes are better? I would think the larger area the StopTechs have would better resist brake fade (larger "heatsink"), no?

derbo
11-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Why do you think stock ZCP brakes are better? I would think the larger area the StopTechs have would better resist brake fade (larger "heatsink"), no?

I think I made a poor word choice. ZCP wouldn't be better in performance but better on my wallet in the long run. I am currently talking to a local e46 guy about the 330i Stoptech 332mm kit and offloading my 135i setup. Decisions Decisions.. Then all my PERF rotors would be useless and have to go on sale. ;)

derbo
11-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Adding my youtube videos here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMztcPU_lYA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BevKoGMixjM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sent from a Moto X

wertyu78
11-21-2013, 09:28 AM
I want to drive thunder hill now

Sent from my iPhone

Lanister
11-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Nice lines, Derek. A little greedy in turn 12 there eh? ;)

derbo
11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Its my 5th time at t hill. I need to work on all my lines :)

sent from a Moto X

Lanister
11-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Pretty impressive for only 5th time. I didn't see anything fundamentally wrong with your lines. At this point, it's all about messing around with fine details in cornering; to optimize your entry corner speed, trail braking, mid-corner speed, and exits. These things can make all the difference against a more powerful rival. It's more pronounced with bikes but no doubt applies to cars to a considerable degree as well.

By now, I must have done 40-50 days at Thill since 2007. I'm pretty sure that I'm still not entirely sure about what I'm doing but seat time makes a big difference.

derbo
11-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Pretty impressive for only 5th time. I didn't see anything fundamentally wrong with your lines. At this point, it's all about messing around with fine details in cornering; to optimize your entry corner speed, trail braking, mid-corner speed, and exits. These things can make all the difference against a more powerful rival. It's more pronounced with bikes but no doubt applies to cars to a considerable degree as well.

By now, I must have done 40-50 days at Thill since 2007. I'm pretty sure that I'm still not entirely sure about what I'm doing but seat time makes a big difference.

http://www.trackpedia.com/mediawiki/images/d/db/Thunderhill.jpg

Turn 1: I know the car can do faster, but I don't have the balls. I'm entering in at like 85-90 and I feel like the car should be able to make it through 95-100 easily.

Turn 2: I think I got this more of less down. The new M3 rear end forces 3rd gear redline limiter on exit at the little straight before turn 3. I am not sure if it is faster to shift to 4th and back down to 3rd or just bang out the limiter. I feel like I hit the limiter for like 1-2 seconds..

Turn 3: I seem to be braking a little too early for this turn and I can work on the braking and entry of this turn. Braking before the crest but not too late to cause my rear end to kick out on this off camber banked corner. The exit seems like I can be on the gas earlier than I am to setup for Turn 4.

Turn 4: I can be on the gas earlier and I think I am not utilizing the whole turn cause of Turn 5 setup.

Turn 5: (Bypass) I know I can be on the gas earlier near the apex and exit faster so I need to work on that.

Turn 6: This corner I feel like I need plenty of work since its the corner right before the back straight. I think i brake too much and turn in too early.

Turn 7: not really a turn so I think I'm good on this one!

Turn 8: Scared to go full throttle with the new setup. The previous times I could full throttle through here but I haven't had the confidence especially since I lack seat time this year.

Turn 9: The whole day I was braking too early and on the gas too late. I have to remember its an uphill corner and I can mash right after braking.

Turn 10: I started to get the hang of it at the end of the day and was getting faster.

Turn 11: This turn has me confused to hell. I brake too much and on all the HPDE I've attended here, if there is no cone on turn 12, people cut it.

Turn 12: see above

Turn 13: see abov

Turn 14: I am braking better for this turn and have to remember to turn in a little later to setup for 15 as one big turn.

Turn 15: All depends on turn 14's setup..

So thats what I got so far from watching my own videos.

derbo
11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
LOL Giya, that is alot of days.

Since April 2010, this is my 15th day of trackdays.

Lanister
11-21-2013, 12:01 PM
LOL Giya, that is alot of days.

Since April 2010, this is my 15th day of trackdays.

You're well on your way! LOL

Lanister
11-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Here're my comments (personal opinion obviously)

http://www.trackpedia.com/mediawiki/images/d/db/Thunderhill.jpg

Turn 1: I know the car can do faster, but I don't have the balls. I'm entering in at like 85-90 and I feel like the car should be able to make it through 95-100 easily.

Giya: The whole T1-T2 section is all about momentum that you've built on the front straight so pick the best (straightest) line through it. I focus on shedding as little speed as possible on the brakes into T1, finish the change of direction as soon as possible and hammer on it once I see my exit apex on the outside right. I think your current line is decent and it's just about pushing your comfort level toward the edge of the limit.

Turn 2: I think I got this more of less down. The new M3 rear end forces 3rd gear redline limiter on exit at the little straight before turn 3. I am not sure if it is faster to shift to 4th and back down to 3rd or just bang out the limiter. I feel like I hit the limiter for like 1-2 seconds..

Giya: I could be wrong but I thought you rushed T2 just a tad. If you wait a tiny bit longer to turn in, you will have a straighter line, which would allow you to have more corner speed. Many people rush that turn but it's not as tight as it seems. Personally (and it could be different for a bike), I trail brake way deep into T2, finish my change of direction by about mid point and hammer as soon as I see the exit line toward the exit apex. If you can get higher corner speed thought it, you could probably even do it in 4th.

Turn 3: I seem to be braking a little too early for this turn and I can work on the braking and entry of this turn. Braking before the crest but not too late to cause my rear end to kick out on this off camber banked corner. The exit seems like I can be on the gas earlier than I am to setup for Turn 4.

Giya: T3 is a bitch because it's blind and off-camber. Most people play it safe on the entry but there's a lot of speed to be found. I'm not sure about the car, but if you get the right exit from T2, it sets you up perfectly for T3. Contrary to initial feelings, opening up the entry into T3 is not the fastest way, because the first apex is pretty early. I view it as a double apex corner, one for entry and one for exit. But overall, if you save some of that T2-exit momentum through T3 entry, you'll find some valuable free time there.

Turn 4: I can be on the gas earlier and I think I am not utilizing the whole turn cause of Turn 5 setup.

Giya: To me, T4 is about timing the turn-in so that it's as straight of a line as possible. Most people turn in late and this forces them to lose speed just so they can make the apex. Too early of a turn-in will put you wide. So it's a timing thing. Get it right and it feels awesome. I thought yours was pretty good actually.

Turn 5: (Bypass) I know I can be on the gas earlier near the apex and exit faster so I need to work on that.

Giya: Bypass = blasphemy. I have no idea how it works for cars but even the real T5 is a shitty turn but you can do some good passing into it as many people puss-out too early. It's easier on a bike since we have more room for an inside pass. But otherwise, although it is a slow and blind corner, knowing the right spot to turn in will save you valuable momentum.

Turn 6: This corner I feel like I need plenty of work since its the corner right before the back straight. I think i brake too much and turn in too early.

Giya: We both agree that it's a very important turn, the speed you exit out of it is the platform from which you build your momentum through 7-8-9. That's a long distance to cover and the faster you're hauling through it, the more time you save. Free time too. To me (on a bike), mid-track entry is enough to open up the radius enough to carry good momentum. Lots of trail braking on the entry, almost to the apex, as soon as I see the exit line, I drive hard.

Turn 7: not really a turn so I think I'm good on this one!

Giya: This one is a joke in a car. On a bike, it's scary as shit because at higher speeds it becomes a real turn. Kind like T1 at Laguna. Not the place you want to lay down your bike or even run-off the track. Still want to turn in at the right time for the shortest line through

Turn 8: Scared to go full throttle with the new setup. The previous times I could full throttle through here but I haven't had the confidence especially since I lack seat time this year.

Giya: This turn separates men from the boys but it's also not so bad because it's just about gently trail braking and patiently waiting for direction change complete to hammer on it as soon as possible because you'll need all the momentum for the up-hill climb. I don't mind using the extra curbing, but if you do it right, you won't need to.

Turn 9: The whole day I was braking too early and on the gas too late. I have to remember its an uphill corner and I can mash right after braking.

Giya: T9 is a great place to pass because everyone brakes too soon. It's blind and kind of off-camber too so you don't want to mess it up too much but it is ALL about momentum. So get your straightest line through it, don't slow down as much, trail braking! and punch it toward T9. I use reference markers, the water tower in the distance is a good indicator for WOT time! :)

Turn 10: I started to get the hang of it at the end of the day and was getting faster.

Giya: T10 is a good one, lots of passing opportunities because it lets you carry a lot of momentum through it, even if you take an inside line (for a pass). It has positive camber so if you're on your own, don't rush the entry and you can haul through it. There is no long straight after it so I try to make the most of the momentum out of T9 by trail braking all the way to the apex.

Turn 11: This turn has me confused to hell. I brake too much and on all the HPDE I've attended here, if there is no cone on turn 12, people cut it.

Giya: How you start and complete T11 will define your top speed before T14. On a car, I'm sure you can carry way more momentum through T11 so use that. Most common mistake is people spend too much time turning, which causes them to have to negotiate T12 and T13 rather drawing a straight line through them.

Turn 12: see above

Turn 13: see abov

Turn 14: I am braking better for this turn and have to remember to turn in a little later to setup for 15 as one big turn.

Giya: T14 is an entry corner, so I like to use all the trail braking I can get to make the back straight as long as possible. Your line through it was very good, I thought. Optimum entry line will allow you to save the precious momentum so that you can start driving past T15 apex at higher speed, which means higher top speed by the end of the front straight. WIN.

Turn 15: All depends on turn 14's setup..

Giya: I look at the front straight as if it starts between T14 and T15.

So thats what I got so far from watching my own videos.

Giya: Although I don't mention trail braking for every corner, I actually do it in every corner.. even when I drive on the street. Also, keep in mind that as your overall speed goes up, your corner entry and braking markers will have to be re-calibrated. The faster you go the earlier everything has to happen. Otherwise, you'll find yourself blowing corners with too much drama.

derbo
11-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the pointers man. I'll have to see my later videos to see if I did anything different. I don't know when my best lap is but its good to analyze the one I have currently to see where I have areas to focus on. I tend to focus on one or two corners to work on and see if I can nail it down.

I think Turn 2 would be a little different in the car I suspect since I can't change directions as quickly, but I know I jump into it a little early on this lap. I turn to stay in the middle a little more and apex it later. Turn 8 is fun as hell but I've seen some offs here in the earlier sessions and I was little hesitant for WOT. Turn 8 is going around 95 through, I can imagine there is alot more left if I am not reaching out to the edge of the exit.

Turn 9 the whole water tower was used as a reference, totally forgot about that!

Turn 10 and 11 are crucial and I believe next time I want to work on these turns specifically.

I can't wait for the next T-Hill, it will probably be after expansion of 2014. No one has data there..

Lanister
11-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Thunderhill is my happy place :)

derbo
11-24-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking of changing my brake setup. It's almost as if I am attempting to build a TMS project 330i.

Looks like the car is going to get a makeover :)

Lanister
11-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with that.

derbo
11-25-2013, 09:35 AM
the TMS 330i was the original project that I actually wanted to emulate. Subtle daily driver that can go on the track to have fun and drive back home without any worries.

I'm planning to redo my brakes to Stoptech BBK to replace the BMW BBK. Sometime down the line, possibly get pullies and an eurocharged tune. I am also looking at the underflooring pieces from the M3 to install on the 330i as well. Kalim is onboard with this one right!?!

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8388/bt8e.jpg

az3579
11-25-2013, 06:49 PM
^ Are those for aerodynamics?

LivesNearCostco
11-25-2013, 07:44 PM
To my uneducated eye, they must be for better underbody aerodynamics, except the two diagonal bars might be to help protect the finned diff cover.

I see bright yellow beehive style rear springs--does that mean it's KW V3 or KW Clubsport suspension?

derbo
11-25-2013, 08:02 PM
This is jeppejj s54 swapped sedan and yes its v3. His car is amazing balls.

sent from a Moto X

derbo
11-25-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm too cheap to buy the proof but here is the shot. I only have one shot in there :(

http://imageshack.us/a/img202/7639/bjp9.png

More pics here

http://carbonstudiosllc.shootproof.com/event/371670/view#a_239055-mason

On another note, It really looks like my rear end is not stiff enough as my wheels are practically sitting in there!

Vas
11-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Cool shot though

QC_ZHP
11-26-2013, 02:32 PM
+1, awesome action shot.

derbo
11-26-2013, 03:23 PM
I do like the shot, just wish there was more to choose! :)

wertyu78
11-27-2013, 07:12 AM
This is jeppejj s54 swapped sedan and yes its v3. His car is amazing balls.

sent from a Moto X

Oh c'mon Derbo! Calling Jeppej's car a s54 swapped sedan is understatement! ;) We can safely call it an E46 m3 sedan! Such a beautiful car!

Sent from my iPhone

330i ZHP
11-27-2013, 07:20 AM
The two diagonal bars are for chassis/body stiffening...tying the middle body to the rigid diff carrier/subframe.

His car has v3

Everything on that car is TOP NOTCH and I have tried to emulate it...previously I too emulated the TMS car with my ZHP - then went further...and the wide body was emulation of jjeppe and the old Tecknic 330ii (red zhp sedan)

To my uneducated eye, they must be for better underbody aerodynamics, except the two diagonal bars might be to help protect the finned diff cover.

I see bright yellow beehive style rear springs--does that mean it's KW V3 or KW Clubsport suspension?

derbo
11-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Oh c'mon Derbo! Calling Jeppej's car a s54 swapped sedan is understatement! ;) We can safely call it an E46 m3 sedan! Such a beautiful car!

Sent from my iPhone

Yes it's amazing as I mentioned at the end. :). I will never have the fund to rebuild like he did.

sent from a Moto X

cyberkaa
12-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I am also looking at the underflooring pieces from the M3 to install on the 330i as well. Kalim is onboard with this one right!?!

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8388/bt8e.jpg

Even if it's just a bit more annoying to drop the exhaust and get to things, I'm still on board for the panels and v-brace, haha. Just need to order those weld nuts at some point.

derbo
12-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Waiting for you to guinea pig it ;)

Avetiso
12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
God I want an M3 exhaust for ny sedan with the CSL diffuser for mtech 2. So sexy.

cyberkaa
12-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Waiting for you to guinea pig it ;)

Haha. Soon...

derbo
12-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Haha. Soon...

That's what you said about your M3 Swap. :(

derbo
12-02-2013, 03:13 PM
God I want an M3 exhaust for ny sedan with the CSL diffuser for mtech 2. So sexy.

I envision this as I mentioned in an older thread about quad exhaust.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4242/img0019copy.jpg

http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/products_id/109

http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/cPath/1_9/products_id/111

cyberkaa
12-02-2013, 03:28 PM
That's what you said about your M3 Swap. :(

It happened!

Eventually :p

Avetiso
12-02-2013, 09:08 PM
I envision this as I mentioned in an older thread about quad exhaust.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4242/img0019copy.jpg

http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/products_id/109

http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/cPath/1_9/products_id/111
:drool

That's what I want, except without the bad trunk paint job lol. Or maybe it's just the lighting.

derbo
12-02-2013, 09:40 PM
its probably a CSL cf bootlid and he wanted the cf to show. :rolleyes

derbo
12-20-2013, 09:16 AM
2013 Recap:

January:
-Bimmerworld Studs/Muteki SR40 Lugnuts

March:
-M3 Rear End Install

April:
-RnR Driver headlight ignitor
-RnR Passenger Mirror Ribbon Cable

July:
-UUC TSE3 Exhaust

August:
-AFE Intake
-OEM AUX install (Remove dice)

September:
-RnR Spark Plugs
-GAS DISA Valve
-RnR Intake boots

November:
-Euro LCM Faceplate, Code LSZ
-RnR Exhaust Hanger
-Adjust Front Sway Bar to full stiff.

December:
-???? Hopefully the one mod I want to do pulls through. :D

And only about 7,000 miles this year. I'm happy about that.

Lanister
12-20-2013, 09:46 AM
and the mystery mod is... :)

johnrando
12-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Like the recap.

echo46
12-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Great year.

derbo
12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
and the mystery mod is... :)

Well I think I mentioned it to before. Stopping power.

Thanks guys. The mileage does offset last year's 18k mileage

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Lanister
12-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Duh

Vas
12-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Need pictures of the Stoptech right meow

derbo
12-20-2013, 02:02 PM

:plays dumb.

Lanister
12-20-2013, 02:34 PM

meow!

cyberkaa
12-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Does this mean the CF CSL style bootlid is out? :shifty

derbo
12-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Does this mean the CF CSL style bootlid is out? :shifty

Aero helps with stopping? Movable flap CSL bootlid?

cyberkaa
12-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Aero helps with stopping? Movable flap CSL bootlid?

Active aero CSL bootlid!

Lanister
12-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Active aero CSL bootlid!

Is that the type where your boot lid lock is broken and you use duct tape to keep it shut? But when you hit the brakes hard, the tape tares and the lid pops up; thus providing aerodynamic brake force?

derbo
12-20-2013, 03:40 PM
"Mclaren" air brake

Lanister
12-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Easily 1 second / lap @ thunderhill

cyberkaa
12-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Exactly! It'll be like a Chaparral 2E!

derbo
12-30-2013, 07:42 PM
My brother is detailing my car for Christmas.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/31/naze2u8a.jpg

az3579
12-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Damn I love your wheels...

Avetiso
12-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Damn I love your wheels...

+1

Looks great, dude.

T-Mobile Note 3
Jedi Elite v5 ROM

derbo
12-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys. I just hope I don't need a big spacer for the front soon. ;)

derbo
01-01-2014, 06:19 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/02/tutynyja.jpg

Brother finished detailing my car but the car didn't start again. I think I have an electrical gremlin. Going to charge the battery again and diagnose.

Avetiso
01-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Car looks great, Derek. Sorry to hear about the no-start. Hope you can figure it out quick.

Reminds me that I need new lenses.

az3579
01-01-2014, 06:44 PM
I love your car's personality. It's got a very dark side to it, but the ambers bring out the playfulness. It's a serious car that acts silly every once in a while. Friggin' LOVE it.

Vas
01-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Your car makes black look good somehow

johnrando
01-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Your car makes black look good somehow

Excuse me???? :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

derbo
01-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys.

It has a pretty meab look at night with the corners off and the fogs on. I like it. :)

The battery was fully dead so I definitely have a battery drain somewhere...

derbo
01-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I am really curious what is causing my battery to die so quickly to the literally no juice left in the battery.

I'm going to let the car sleep with the ammeter on the battery and see what I get. Hopefully its above 40mA and I can figure out which fuse is the culprit..

Rovert
01-06-2014, 04:00 PM
How do you diagnose that? My car randomly drains the battery within 24-48 hours a couple times a year. I've even left it once in the garage with it unlocked to the alarm wasn't even on and it drained itself....weird gremlin!

Johal E32
01-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Hey Derek, who do you do your track days with? Hooked on Driving? CCA?

Im interested in some track days, I recently got a helmet!

Car looks great as always

cyberkaa
01-06-2014, 04:08 PM
I am really curious what is causing my battery to die so quickly to the literally no juice left in the battery.

I'm going to let the car sleep with the ammeter on the battery and see what I get. Hopefully its above 40mA and I can figure out which fuse is the culprit..

Hopefully that won't be too hard to pinpoint. I'd start with audio, especially anything aftermarket, then FSR and alarm.

derbo
01-06-2014, 04:33 PM
How do you diagnose that? My car randomly drains the battery within 24-48 hours a couple times a year. I've even left it once in the garage with it unlocked to the alarm wasn't even on and it drained itself....weird gremlin!

Hook a multimeter in series with the battery and set it to read amperage. Use a screwdriver to push the trunk latch in so the car think the trunk is closed and let it sleep for 10-15minutes. The amperage should drop to 40mA or so for normal operation. (Correct me if I am wrong but I think its within that range)

Hey Derek, who do you do your track days with? Hooked on Driving? CCA?

Im interested in some track days, I recently got a helmet!

Car looks great as always

That's awesome! Trackdays are fun!

I tend to go with CityTechSF, SpeedVentures, Blacktrax (more S2000s than anything), NCRC, or Trackmasters. I never tried Hooked on Driving since their pricepoint is higher than most. I haven't tried BMWCCA either which I am sure really fun.

Hopefully that won't be too hard to pinpoint. I'd start with audio, especially anything aftermarket, then FSR and alarm.

Yea, I'm hopeful. The car starting acting up pretty recently (a month or so now).

Accordance to my logs:

8/25:
Removed DICE, install AUX

9/03:
Replace Spark Plugs/Reset DME adaptations

9/25:
Install GAS DISA Valve, Replace Intake Boots

11/4:
Euro Faceplate, LSZ coding.

11/9:
Replace Exhaust hanger, Set Front Sway to full stiff, install track rotors/pads, and reinstall SPG.

11/25:
Reinstalled stock ZHP seat.

Hopefully something leads to the gremlin.

OEM Battery is from 5/02/2009
FSR was replaced in 3/29/2010 with the updated FSR part number.

The battery is fully dead to the point interior lights do not even turn on so there is definitely a gremlin...

Rovert
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Hook a multimeter in series with the battery and set it to read amperage. Use a screwdriver to push the trunk latch in so the car think the trunk is closed and let it sleep for 10-15minutes. The amperage should drop to 40mA or so for normal operation. (Correct me if I am wrong but I think its within that range)

The thing is most of the time it's happy for 2 weeks and fires up no problem. Just a couple times out of the year it does a random electron purge. Kind of hard to wire it up on those couple days a year!

derbo
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Hmm, the time between my drives lately are now 2weeks+ where it used to be >2weeks. It would've been hard to pinpoint a tiny tiny gremlin constant driving. :\

is your battery fully dead or is does it click on the starter?

Johal E32
01-06-2014, 07:09 PM

That's awesome! Trackdays are fun!

I tend to go with CityTechSF, SpeedVentures, Blacktrax (more S2000s than anything), NCRC, or Trackmasters. I never tried Hooked on Driving since their pricepoint is higher than most. I haven't tried BMWCCA either which I am sure really fun.

Perfect!

Might do the February 1st run with city tech. $99, wow thats cheap!

derbo
01-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Feb 1st sounds like a good one! Patrick is a cool guy. :) Citytech and Bobs Donuts usually do one Laguna Seca event and a Black Friday Buttonwillow event at minimal. Those are the fun ones as there is usually a session every hour.

derbo
01-07-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm really torn for the Euro lense sets (RCR). Turner has a sale for $400shipped. $400 can go to other things more important..ie Brakes..

Rovert
01-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Hmm, the time between my drives lately are now 2weeks+ where it used to be >2weeks. It would've been hard to pinpoint a tiny tiny gremlin constant driving. :\

is your battery fully dead or is does it click on the starter?

Completely dead. LOL. Sometimes central lock ceases to function. But sometimes it has just enough juice to unlock. The battery gets so dead my dad's 540i needs to stay jumper cabled up for 5 minutes for the 330 to start properly. I've tried clutch starting but it doesn't work because there's not enough juice to keep the car running once it fires up.....I'd need a longer hill to drive down to get the battery nice and powered up! I know it's not the battery too...it's happened with 3 batteries so far.

derbo
01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Completely dead. LOL. Sometimes central lock ceases to function. But sometimes it has just enough juice to unlock. The battery gets so dead my dad's 540i needs to stay jumper cabled up for 5 minutes for the 330 to start properly. I've tried clutch starting but it doesn't work because there's not enough juice to keep the car running once it fires up.....I'd need a longer hill to drive down to get the battery nice and powered up! I know it's not the battery too...it's happened with 3 batteries so far.

is there any pattern to when it dies?

Rovert
01-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Never any! she's a biaaaatch....they don't have patterns either. No offense to anyone who are that. I come to live with it. It's a minor inconvenience and it only happens in my garage/driveway so I'm good with that. When it starts happening at the mall...... #helloM3.

Vas
01-07-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm really torn for the Euro lense sets (RCR). Turner has a sale for $400shipped. $400 can go to other things more important..ie Brakes..

That is a hard choice because the orange does work pretty well with a black car.

Johal E32
01-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Feb 1st sounds like a good one! Patrick is a cool guy. :) Citytech and Bobs Donuts usually do one Laguna Seca event and a Black Friday Buttonwillow event at minimal. Those are the fun ones as there is usually a session every hour.

Is the Feb1st event okay for a newbie?

By that time I will have a atuo-x and car control clinic under my belt.

az3579
01-07-2014, 05:06 PM

I vote stay with amber. :)

derbo
01-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Is the Feb1st event okay for a newbie?

By that time I will have a atuo-x and car control clinic under my belt.

I'm not sure. There is a beginners group and you most likely will be assigned an instructor. You can email Patrick Chio for more details. :)

Are you taking the wagon out?! :D

That is a hard choice because the orange does work pretty well with a black car.

I vote stay with amber. :)

Very true....and it would save me $400... HAHA.

derbo
01-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Never any! she's a biaaaatch....they don't have patterns either. No offense to anyone who are that. I come to live with it. It's a minor inconvenience and it only happens in my garage/driveway so I'm good with that. When it starts happening at the mall...... #helloM3.

That is a strange thing. There is no common variables?

az3579
01-07-2014, 05:21 PM
^ not only that but the amber on the black for me personally gives it a dark personality with a hint of playfulness, like I've said before. To me, it's a critical part of your car's personality.

Mesays spend the money on brakes.

derbo
01-07-2014, 05:32 PM
^ not only that but the amber on the black for me personally gives it a dark personality with a hint of playfulness, like I've said before. To me, it's a critical part of your car's personality.

Mesays spend the money on brakes.

Thanks BP. I do like amber but something about going euro intrigued me (including going city lights going full euro). It is an afterthought process but I still love my amber. :)

Stoptech here I come! :innocent

Johal E32
01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure. There is a beginners group and you most likely will be assigned an instructor. You can email Patrick Chio for more details. :)

Are you taking the wagon out?! :D

Yep, wagon. I plasti-dipped my style 44's red :shifty

Sure thing, Ill shoot him a email. Thanks for the info! Hopefully I will meet you at one of the track days!

derbo
01-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Yep, wagon. I plasti-dipped my style 44's red :shifty

Sure thing, Ill shoot him a email. Thanks for the info! Hopefully I will meet you at one of the track days!

For sure! Hopefully soon but there 1 mod I need to do before next track day..(brakes)

az3579
01-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks BP. I do like amber but something about going euro intrigued me (including going city lights going full euro). It is an afterthought process but I still love my amber. :)

Stoptech here I come! :innocent

Going full euro would definitely require clears. You can always do that later; brakes look sexier than clears do. :biggrin
I can't say I remember; how come the switch from the BMW BBK to this other setup?

derbo
01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Going full euro would definitely require clears. You can always do that later; brakes look sexier than clears do. :biggrin
I can't say I remember; how come the switch from the BMW BBK to this other setup?

Couldn't agree more, BP. The Euro clears would be nice, but the brakes...yeaaaaa.

My real main concern is that the 135i calipers are not race calipers. They are mass-produced factory calipers made by Brembo. The STi and 370z calipers are similar where they do not perform too well on the track with the factory pistons. With my dust boots melted, and big concern about cracking the piston caps, I am left with a decision to either replace the calipers pistons/seals or move onto a different application. My track pads are in the EOL cycle with a few mm left so its an appropriate time to consider my options.

There are two main options that I've considered:

1. Rebuild the caliper with SS pistons and RB seals.
2. Sell BMW Kit, Buy Stoptech 332mm Kit.

Option 1 will involve the pistons + seals, which is around $500?
Option 2 will be more expensive

Either setup will require buying new track pads so I negated that from the equation.

Option 1 does sound feasible but I still think that I will run into a situation where the pads will still have heat retention problems. The nature of the caliper design seems to retain alot of heat into the caliper and I feel like this will be a problem in the summer months.

Option 2 is more expensive but I gain a larger 2piece rotor for better cooling and a pad removal process that is alot easier than the current 135i setup.

The BMW BBK uses 330i sized rotors and I don't think it was a massive upgrade from the stock 330i rotors as far as a track application goes. Yes it does bite harder but I also developed more heat problems with it. For the street its awesome looking but I think the Stoptech will suit me better for track days. Someone else can appreciate the BMW BBK on the streets.

Is option 2 really worth it? I'm not so sure yet. I have time to decide.

Lanister
01-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Stoptech all the way brotha!

Vas
01-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Stoptech.

I used to have a set on a 370z and loved them.

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Does wilwood offer anything for our cars?

Also, consider finding 996 calipers...

derbo
01-08-2014, 02:14 PM
I forgot I had a few restrictions. I am running 17s and there are very few BBK kits that fit over the 17s.

Porsche 996 + Rally Road Brakes:

This solution would've been nice but rotor options were limited to the standard M3 rotors or the ZCP M3 rotors. The ZCP rotors would not clear my 17s from my knowledge without some spacers. With a rear M3 996 caliper bracket I could go all 4 too. However, there is too many changes necessary to deem this possible.

New Rims/Tires, ZCP rotors, 996 Calipers, brackets... $$$$$

I haven't done too much research on this but I suspect I would need to use an M3 brake booster as well to use this properly. I would have to digg into it more.

Willwood Calipers:

One of the E46F guys that tracks had experience with both and this is what he had to say:

There is none...ST is far better. Installation is simple. Only pain is you need to grind the caliper bolt lugs...both UUC and ST require some grinding. But, ST's stuff fits. No fussing, spacers, washers, or guess work. Unlike UUCs kit which is a total PIA.

Pedal feel is FAR better. ST is stiffer but way easier to modulate. UUC always starts off mushy until you really get on it.

ST's stop much better. Not sure if they stop shorter but they inspire loads more confidence.

Only downers on the ST kit is the caliper is large...don't think my VMR3s or OEM M68s will clear. Cost of spares. UUC uses m3 rotors which are plentiful and cheap.

But I think ST components will last much longer and run cooler. The UUC kit is ugly...the ST kit is beautiful.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the rears to fit without losing my ebrake.

Pad selection for the ST-40 is plenty more than the BMW BBK too.

Lanister
01-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Good excuse to switch to a new set of rollers... :)

derbo
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Good excuse to switch to a new set of rollers... :)

I literally just switched from 18" to 17" a year and a half ago.. :facepalm

I have no real interest in the tire prices in the 18s at this moment. It's practically double what I am paying right now.

Vas
01-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Good thing about Wilwood is that a kit can be built. And the Superlight calipers are very very light.

And plenty of pad selections with Wilwoods but not enough bling with them.

derbo
01-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Good thing about Wilwood is that a kit can be built. And the Superlight calipers are very very light.

And plenty of pad selections with Wilwoods but not enough bling with them.

The willwood kits from UUC use a 325mm rotor which seems to be the Standard M3 rotor. Pad selection is most likely decent as well but I've seen some rust rings on some s2000s I track with. I wonder if that is an issue here as well.

I've considered Alcon and AP racing too but they don't have anything available for a 330i with a 17' rim fitment.

Funny thing is that if I do get a Stoptech, I may just get a black caliper so bling isn't a priority. :)

cyberkaa
01-08-2014, 03:23 PM
You should paint them rust to match your corners. :p

derbo
01-08-2014, 03:24 PM

And my hub centers! :pringles

cyberkaa
01-08-2014, 04:02 PM
And my hub centers! :pringles

:rofl

iya_e46
01-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Nice Car and Thread :)

derbo
01-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Thanks Iya! I do want your rear sunshades for some odd reason.. plus an alpine white..

quick update:

Car is slumbering away at my Grandpa's garage until I have some time to debug the electrical gremlin.

Vas
01-10-2014, 07:10 PM

I loled at this

derbo
01-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Looking for my rust paint now :D

derbo
01-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Minor update:

I put the multimeter on the car to check the drain during sleep.

Current draw: 45mA.

That seems to be normal for a BMW. The car is on a bmw trickle charger for the time being until I can figure out this mysterious gremlin.

:stumped

derbo
01-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Damn so tempting! TMS sent me a 5% coupon for the Euro clears bringing it to 37xx shipped... :X

Avetiso
01-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Do it. I'm going clear.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Rovert
01-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Damn so tempting! TMS sent me a 5% coupon for the Euro clears bringing it to 37xx shipped... :X

Who wouldn't want to move over on the track when they see this in their rearview mirror? :mafia

https://app.box.com/representation/file_version_3246324287/image_2048_jpg/1.jpg?shared_name=qamf3cl3rj22m02izmg0

derbo
01-12-2014, 11:31 PM
i has no angel eyes :P

I think they move regardless if they see yours or mine :)

http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws.com/d862d55e4c3211e39e3812c048d57f22_8.jpg

Rovert
01-12-2014, 11:41 PM
True...I'd http://www.grtpl8s.com/images/customers/MOVE-OVER.JPG

derbo
01-12-2014, 11:52 PM
my old boss M6 had this as a front plate

http://www.grtpl8s.com/images/customers/TI-3VOM.JPG

az3579
01-13-2014, 04:50 AM
Who wouldn't want to move over on the track when they see this in their rearview mirror? :mafia

Sorry to say that it doesn't work like that, man! You know this!
Hell, it doesn't even work on the highway, let alone the track. :(

johnrando
01-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Love the pics and plates.

derbo
01-13-2014, 09:18 AM
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4201&d=1337665646

I would look too much like my cousin's car. I just recently installed a Euro LCM faceplate on his Eagle eyes. the rear fogs work too!

Vas
01-13-2014, 10:42 AM
hmm that price is very tempting.

I still need to buy the fender lights and the front corners.

cyberkaa
01-13-2014, 02:14 PM

Ah, you know you want to!
Just picked mine up from UPS. :)

derbo
01-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Ah, you know you want to!
Just picked mine up from UPS. :)

I do want them, but I do want my Stoptech Brakes too..

What are you going to do with your old DEPOs?

cyberkaa
01-13-2014, 02:24 PM
I do want them, but I do want my Stoptech Brakes too..

What are you going to do with your old DEPOs?

Sell them. No need for them now.

derbo
01-13-2014, 02:35 PM
When I get a higher paying job Kalim, the S54 project will commence. :D

cyberkaa
01-13-2014, 02:52 PM
When I get a higher paying job Kalim, the S54 project will commence. :D

I can't wait. :)

cyberkaa
01-13-2014, 08:16 PM
I just popped my clears in and...

...it looks exactly the same! :rofl

Lanister
01-13-2014, 08:24 PM
When are you going to pop that CSL intake Kalim? :)

cyberkaa
01-13-2014, 11:16 PM
When are you going to pop that CSL intake Kalim? :)

Whenever I get a break from fixing other people's cars, haha. x_x
Finishing up the last few projects, so hopefully soon!

derbo
01-14-2014, 10:48 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/15/u3u3ehyp.jpg

Tires and rims in the Prius without using the front seat. Ftw.

derbo
01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Whenever I get a break from fixing other people's cars, haha. x_x
Finishing up the last few projects, so hopefully soon!

Sooner than later please!

Lanister
01-14-2014, 10:57 AM
New rims bro?

derbo
01-14-2014, 11:12 AM
18x9.5 +35
18x8.5 +40

For my gf's 335i. It's going to be her temporary track car while we get the E30 setup.

cyberkaa
01-14-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm slightly jealous of that cargo space, haha.

derbo
01-14-2014, 11:24 AM
I'm slightly jealous of that cargo space, haha.

Last gas tank was 57.8mpg. Got a steady 550 miles before I decided to fill up under 10 gallons. :)

Once you add the douchebag factor my mpg is -1mpg. hahaha

Kalim, time for a S54 station wagon!!

QC_ZHP
01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
gf's track car? Where can I find girls like this...

cyberkaa
01-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Last gas tank was 57.8mpg. Got a steady 550 miles before I decided to fill up under 10 gallons. :)

Once you add the douchebag factor my mpg is -1mpg. hahaha

Kalim, time for a S54 station wagon!!

I shake my fist at you! lol

Definitely time for a fast touring, haha. If I could just find a decent low-mileage shell...

derbo
gf's track car? Where can I find girls like this...

Dont know.

She been going to trackdays before I met her and she knows more people in the industry then I do haha. She is one of the girls that didn't get into it because of her bf. Not the stereotype girl! I love her to death.

The E30 is getting some finishing touches done to the M50 swap. It still needs track rims and new seats before its more or less track ready. The E90 has H&R race springs/Koni Yellows and BMW perf exhaust. It's pretty much ready for a track time with the new ZII rubber and ARC8s :)

derbo
I shake my fist at you! lol

Definitely time for a fast touring, haha. If I could just find a decent low-mileage shell...

There was an alpine white stickshift one on E46F..... 01 with 78k..

cyberkaa
01-14-2014, 11:39 AM
There was an alpine white stickshift one on E46F..... 01 with 78k..

Orly? I'd need somewhere to park it, too. Sadly, I think I'll be selling the E30 in a couple of months to make way for new projects.