PDA

View Full Version : Samco E46 Non-M Cooling Hose Kit - possible group buy?

Hermes
12-06-2011, 03:39 PM
A guy in the Australian sub-forum on E46F has managed to convince Samco to build a set of hoses for non-M's (they already make M3 hoses). If anybody is interested let me know as I plan to order a set.

From the post on E46F:

Samco have previously only made kits for M Cars...
It is an excellent modification, making your cooling system more reliable overall whilst also reducing operating temperatures reducing wear and increasing power.

Samco is the world leader in these silicon hose products suppling to Formula 1, World Rally Championship and Superbike among others.

You can read all about them at samcosport.com (http://www.samcosport.com/)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=426694&d=1322377734

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=426696&d=1322377734

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=427071&d=1322607208

3 piece kit includes; Radiator Top Hose, Radiator Lower Hose, Radiator Return Hose (water pipe)

List cost SHIPPED TO AUSTRALIAN addressee for standard colors (Black, Red or Blue) is;
$125 AUD for the 3 piece hose set
$20 AUD for the Samco stainless clip set (recommended)
$25 AUD Postage (this will cover the cost of shipping from the UK to me and then onto each individual purchaser)

TOTAL AUD$170 for the full buy
or
TOTAL AUD$150 without the hose clamps

Colours that have a price premiums are Classic Black, Viper Red, Pink, White, Silver, Gun Metal, these have a 15% increase = AUD$144 for the 3 hoses

Camo colours along with Blaze have a 35% price increase over stock colours = AUD$169 for the 3 hoses

Custom camo is where the customer picks 4 colours for his hose, this would have a 50% increase over stock colours = AUD$188 for the 3 hoses (the camo in white, blue, silver and orange is a CUSTOM example - go nuts!)

Link to the original thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=888367

jeff57ax
12-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I AM ENTHUSIASTICALLY IN - just need to decide on red or blue, what do I do now?

danewilson77
12-06-2011, 06:59 PM
So...these hoses are then slipped over the components and then secured with hose clamps?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
12-06-2011, 07:33 PM
JP. Be very careful of Samco. I bought the 13 pc. kit with clamps. But I sold my Samco for the E30 M3 at a loss. They were a tad short on the upper and lower rad hoses. I'd say 1/4" short. Short enough that the hose clamp could barely bite on the hose. OEM hose should kiss (slip all the way) to the rad. Samco was short. I stopped right there. But I found out later that they were also short on the egg shape thermostat from other M3 owners. I had to switch back to OEM.

johnrando
12-06-2011, 08:04 PM
JP. Be very careful of Samco. I bought the 13 pc. kit with clamps. But I sold my Samco for the E30 M3 at a loss. They were a tad short on the upper and lower rad hoses. I'd say 1/4" short. Short enough that the hose clamp could barely bite on the hose. OEM hose should kiss (slip all the way) to the rad. Samco was short. I stopped right there. But I found out later that they were also short on the egg shape thermostat from other M3 owners. I had to switch back to OEM.

That's too bad, as I might have been interested in these. Any others with experience with Samco? (I'll also check the thread).

EDIT: BTW, I did a conversion. $170 AUD is ~$174 USD.

Hermes
12-06-2011, 08:07 PM
What if they make sure to make it the same length as the OEM hose, wouldn't it work then?

johnrando
12-06-2011, 08:10 PM
What if they make sure to make it the same length as the OEM hose, wouldn't it work then?

That's what I would think if it's a brand new mold.

What would a set of standard OEM hoses cost? (Hoping someone knows, saving me the lookup).

Hermes
12-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Just got this PM:

Hi JP - pricing for you in USD as below...

This is based on me sending you a few sets direct from the UK to you...

This is the cost price - only addition is the freight which I estimate at $65 (might even be light on). If you are selling to people not local to you, suggest you add some cost to parcel up and post them to your guys...

$129 USD for the 3 piece hose set
$21 USD for the Samco stainless clip set (recommended)
$65 USD postage (will cover up to 4 sets)

Colours that have a price premiums are Classic Black, Viper Red, Pink, White, Silver, Gun Metal, these have a 15% increase = $148 USD for the 3 hoses

Camo colours along with Blaze have a 35% price increase over stock colours = $175 USD for the 3 hoses

Custom camo is where the customer picks 4 colours for his hose, this would have a 50% increase over stock colours = $194 USD for the 3 hoses (the camo in white, blue, silver and orange is a CUSTOM example - go nuts!)

Await your final order and colors. Cheers mate - Brendan

danewilson77
12-08-2011, 03:33 AM
Was he supposed to address length issues in his PM?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hermes
12-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I dunno, I will send him another one. I think he's just giving pricing in general

Hermes
12-08-2011, 07:43 PM
his reply:

HI JP- I know about the confuse - VIPER Red is a dark red that is not pictured and classic black is like a matte/dull black.

As for the sizing - I understand your concern and I will make this point to SAMCO - HOWEVER - the beauty of what we are doing is that SAMCO actually bought a FULL set of OEM hoses to copy exactly...

It took ages to get to the stage where they commited to buy the set and then the next step is moulding which they wont do without the pre-sold 15 sets...

Anyway -I will mention again to reinforce the point but I am very confident that it will be spot on...

I suspect E30 kit would have been developed a while ago and may have even been different LHD to RHD (I may be wrong) they also might have developed it from measurements rather than copying a real sample...

I am spending abut $1400 USD to have a new hose made for the intake side of my ESS supercharger - if you know any ESS supercharged guys let me know... The hose that comes with the ESS kit is a bit sub standard - the one they are developing for me will have metal barbs, will look good and fit right as they are copying an original I sent to them...

I have ordered a carbon fibre centre driveshaft for E46 non M-some guys had them made for the M3 and had fitment issues, again this was because the company made it from specs. The part they are making for me is based on copying a real OEM shaft - so they can "proof" it against the OEM part...and that way ensure perfect fitment...

Hermes
12-10-2011, 10:44 PM
response from Brendan/Samco I got maybe 15 minutes ago:

Hi - JP - below you can follow the correspondence I have had with SAMCO regarding your concern on fitment...

Also - check the latest post on the thread, they have already made the first set... They look brilliant

A couple of reasons in my opinion that the E30 may have had issues; could have been using with aftermarket radiator etc, could have been a UK specific kit? Not sure if E30 had a EURO and a US specific cooling system or not... E46 is same worldwide though...

I am confident, the fitment will be spot on.

------ Forwarded Message
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:14:50 -0000
To: Brendan Walsh <brendan@chungs.com.au>
Subject: RE: Samco BMW 3 Series Kits

Hi Brendan,

We have sold so many of these kits into Europe without problem or customer complaint especially as these have gone through our German distributors who know these cars inside out. I would like to know where the guy bought the kit from especially as the hoses are built on fixed tools which means there should not be any variation in length.

May also be asking what modifications were done to the car as in aftermarket radiator.

Best regards,

Mark.

Sent: 09 December 2011 02:35
To: Mark Hale
Subject: Re: Samco BMW 3 Series Kits

Hi Mark, one of the customers I have lined up made this comment.... All as Italics (I put purple - JP) below are his words...

also, one thing a friend of mine has commented to me. He bought the Samco hoses for his E30 M3 Evo and took them off because he said the following to me:

"JP. Be very careful of Samco. I bought the 13 pc. kit with clamps. But I sold my Samco for the E30 M3 at a loss. They were a tad short on the upper and lower radiator hoses. I'd say 1/4" short. Short enough that the hose clamp could barely bite on the hose. OEM hose should kiss (slip all the way) to the radiator. Samco was short. I stopped right there. But I found out later that they were also short on the egg shape thermostat from other M3 owners. I had to switch back to OEM."

Before any of my friends will buy this set we want assurance from Samco that the hoses will be manufactured to the same length as the OEM hoses, otherwise it will be a waste of appx $200.

It seems like right now there are 4-5 of us interested, so long as Samco guarantees that the hoses will be the correct length and there will be no issue like that on the E30. Please let me know.

Mark - I told him that we should not have any issues because this kit is being made following exact OEM hoses – so duplicating OEM.

I can only guess what the reason for the E30 hoses being out of whack was... Could have been anything...

Any ideas on how I can respond to him to make him feel more confident?

Cheers, Brendan

and here are the first pics of the hoses:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428518&d=1323584599

OEM ends are re-used
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428519&d=1323584599

johnrando
12-15-2011, 09:54 AM
So what's the latest on this? Did you get enough for a group buy? Still thinking about this, not sure if it's worth the price. Any thoughts on that?

Hermes
12-15-2011, 10:01 AM
I haven't heard anything from him. He said deadline is Jan 3 IIRC

danewilson77
12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Did not know that oem fittings were retained.

das boots
12-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Threw away my old hoses. The fittings looked like they were part of the hose. If only I knew then I could have retained the fittings.

danewilson77
12-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Ooohh...I still have my old ones.....better not throw out.....

But why...I just replaced hoses.....hehe

Hermes
01-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Ok... Brendan needs 1-2 more orders so we can process the buy, anybody want in?

acontzhp
01-26-2012, 02:55 AM
How long would it take to receive the hoses after the order is placed?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Hermes
01-26-2012, 03:57 AM
not sure... He wanted to process the order on Jan 3rd but didn't have enough orders to process it. They're made in England so I'm sure it won't be that quick, also they are made by hand and visually inspected so it takes some time for that quality of work. I'll send him a message and find out more info

johnrando
01-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Still considering... guess my time is up. What was the price shipped to US again?

Hermes
01-26-2012, 07:55 AM
John,

depends on what color you want and if you want the clips. Here is what Brendan said:

$129 USD for the 3 piece hose set
$21 USD for the Samco stainless clip set (recommended)
$65 USD postage (will cover up to 4 sets)

Colours that have a price premiums are Classic Black, Viper Red, Pink, White, Silver, Gun Metal, these have a 15% increase = $148 USD for the 3 hoses

Camo colours along with Blaze have a 35% price increase over stock colours = $175 USD for the 3 hoses

Custom camo is where the customer picks 4 colours for his hose, this would have a 50% increase over stock colours = $194 USD for the 3 hoses (the camo in white, blue, silver and orange is a CUSTOM example - go nuts!)

--------
I will be buying one set so I'm already planning on $65 in postage, but they can fit up to four sets in a box. If we can get 4 sets ordered we can bring down the shipping cost. Hell, even one more order brings it down. I doubt we'll have them before I get back next month but if we do then I'll just figure out a way to get them to you. If somebody not in SoCal wants a set I'll cover the domestic shipping, it's just international that seems to be the real price here. I told him I would have an answer for him by this weekend so I have a few days but we need to place the order soon

personally I'm thinking Viper Red as it looks kinda like Imola. The other red seems too bright
http://www.samcosport.com/usa/images/colours7_big.jpg

Mtnman
01-26-2012, 07:59 AM
hmmmmmm....soooo tempting. I like the Blue ones....and I dont know why....damn. what to do what to do.....

Hermes
02-03-2012, 03:59 AM
Ok everybody, I need to know by today who is going to do this or not. I have to give Brendan the order today because he wants to wrap this order up as he's already a month behind where he wanted to order them. Please let me know if you want to do this so I can give you his PayPal info and forward your order to him. Thanks!

danewilson77
02-03-2012, 04:23 AM
Ok everybody, I need to know by today who is going to do this or not. I have to give Brendan the order today because he wants to wrap this order up as he's already a month behind where he wanted to order them. Please let me know if you want to do this so I can give you his PayPal info and forward your order to him. Thanks!

He's not a month behind because of us though.

Thread is two months old....then he expects a one day turn around....Paypal's, etc.....???

IDK mang.

Hermes
02-03-2012, 05:33 AM
I didn't mean it to come off as it's our fault, he just hasn't had enough committed orders to process it until now from what I've understood from him. Yeah, turn around won't be that fast since it has to be shipped from the UK. I honestly haven't even looked at his thread in a while, I just talk to him via PM. He just wants to wrap this up so we can finally put the order in. If anybody wants one just let me know so I can forward information to him

johnrando
02-03-2012, 07:41 AM
I think I'm in. Need to decide color. Black just to blend in w/the engine or blue to stick out some, but not too much... thoughts?

Hermes
02-03-2012, 07:51 AM
John, there are 2 blacks... a matte and a gloss, just to give you more to think about

johnrando
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
OK, I'm going with gun metal, so that it's obvious they are uprated hoses but they should blend in well (while standing out some) and hopefully look good. How's that for a decision process? :) I'll PM you my email... guessing they send a paypal invoice?

danewilson77
02-03-2012, 09:37 AM
OK, I'm going with gun metal, so that it's obvious they are uprated hoses but they should blend in well (while standing out some) and hopefully look good. How's that for a decision process? :) I'll PM you my email... guessing they send a paypal invoice?

I didn't see Gun Metal in OP?

Hermes
02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah... There are more colors available on Samco's site

Edit: apparently I did mention gunmetal

johnrando
02-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah, check out their site. Just search for Samco. BTW, I should add that I want the brackets too.

Here's the site:
http://www.samcosport.com/usa/colours.asp

johnrando
03-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Maybe time just to check-in and see how the build is going?

Hermes
03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
I was wondering the same thing...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=888367&amp;page=4

Hermes
03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
John, from the other thread

PM update received from Brendan:

Hi Scott - the order is well underway - I expect Samco to be shipping to me within the next 2 weeks - as soon as I receive I should be able to get the hoses to you within 3-4 days.

Not long now - cheers, brendan

Would appreciate a definite update from Samco...

johnrando
03-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks for keeping me posted JP!

Hermes
04-16-2012, 10:03 AM
John, I posted on the other thread asking what's up with this but I also emailed Samco directly to see what is going on. I'll let you know what I hear back from them

Hermes
04-17-2012, 07:58 AM
The reply I got from Samco:

Dear JP Hermes,

I have been dealing with Brendan so no problems in verifying that you order
is on the system. I can confirm we have now completed manufacturing the hose
sets for the group buy and will be shipping them today/tomorrow. I can also
confirm that there are sets of viper red hoses in the shipment for Brendan.

The delay was caused due to the production line being at maximum capacity
plus having to wait for a large enough shipment due to freight charges.

Thank you for choosing SamcoSportR hoses.

Best regards,

Mark Hale.

-------------

I sent him another email asking for a tracking number

danewilson77
04-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Tracking not available. Post office at maximum capacity.

Sent from SIGFest-2012, USA on HTC via TTv2

Hermes
04-17-2012, 09:31 AM
After re-reading the email it sounds like they are all going to be shipped to Aus then Brendan will ship them to us. Sending him a pm to figure this out

johnrando
04-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks for checking and the updates JP!

johnrando
05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
JP, time to check in again?

Hermes
05-10-2012, 01:55 PM
He actually just sent me a message yesterday:

Hi JP - they literally arrived TODAY (now Wednesday night in Melbourne) - I will pack all orders this Saturday and ship out Monday - I have a lot of sets - they look fantastic! Worth the wait!

Cheers, Brendan

So maybe we'll get them the week of the 21st?

Hermes
05-31-2012, 07:25 AM
They're here!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/2814c803.jpg

johnrando
05-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Sweet! You around this Saturday? I'll be in SD and I can swing by to pick them up. PM me your address, or where you'd like to meet. You can also use my hood liner for a template if you want at the same time.

Stu
06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
It says online to reuse the old hose clamps. But they are pressure-fit, so how do these hoses fit in, exactly?

MrMaico
06-02-2012, 07:19 AM
It says online to reuse the old hose clamps. But they are pressure-fit, so how do these hoses fit in, exactly?

You'll want to use a clamp designed for silicone hoses which should be a "solid" clamp. Not like the normal worm style clamps. I assume it's because silicone is a softer material and a worm clamp would cut into the hose. They shouldn't be hard to find, I know the Ford Crown Vic police package used silicone cooling hoses.

Something like these......

http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=liner%20hose%20clamps&url=search-alias%3Daps

EDIT: Even better, and what I would do if I were installing these, would be constant torque hose clamps. I would have to think there would be less chance of having any leaks with these.

http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=constant%20torque%20hose%20clamps&url=search-alias%3Daps&sprefix=constant%20torque%2Caps%2C229