PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shocks Cover Lining...What is this stuff?

das boots
11-22-2011, 06:46 PM
As I was removing the trunk lining and other stuffs getting ready to have my shocks replaced, I see a cover lining that runs over the rear shocks. They are pretty...fragile. So, what I did was just cut over the top with minimal hole just so the shocks could be removed and replaced. So, what is this stuff???? Did you guys cut enough to have access or you guys removed that whole enchilada????

danewilson77
11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
I just cut the shape of the shock mount out. Left it attached so it acts like a "flap". It is sound insulating material.

I love schmelty crayons.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
11-22-2011, 07:31 PM
That's it. Feels like crayon. Wax?....So, it can melt, correct? So, I can re-attach the small dome that I cut out?

LivesNearCostco
11-23-2011, 01:33 AM
The first time I carefully unbolted stuff in the trunk to remove it, and it tore and ripped so I duct taped it back together. Looked ugly but I figured nobody looks under the trunk liner except me, right? The second time I just cut out a circle around each RSM.

danewilson77
11-23-2011, 03:51 AM
That's it. Feels like crayon. Wax?....So, it can melt, correct? So, I can re-attach the small dome that I cut out?

No..It doesn't melt.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
11-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Done. Completed the shocks replacement. I put back the cut dome from the shock tower and used Silicone RTV Adhesive for them to mend back together. Put a little stuffing (bubble wrap) in between so the dome will hold up. Put all lining back in. I might need some plastic fasteners for the vertical liner that is the divides back seat to the trunk. Anybody know the P/N? Thanks.