PDA

View Full Version : Mod List Questions/Order of Importance

Taliben
10-25-2011, 02:47 PM
What's up guys. I've been lurking for a while, but decided to come out and make a thread because i need some help. I own a Silbergrau 05 330i ZHP, and I want to do a couple mods here and there to it.
Its already got 35% smoke tint all around except the front windshield and most of the preventative maintenance done. I already have an AFE Stage 1 CAI in the box that I need to get around to installing. I need new headlight lenses since mine are pitted to hell.
The things I want to do is as follows:
black or CF front grilles-don't feel like spending a ton on them
some kind of AUX/iPod input-I was looking at a Grom one with a usb input that is nice
headers or some kinda exhaust-not sure about this, i would probably go ebay headers

I'm still debating on clear corner, sides, and tails, but I don't know how it looks on my color car. And what kind of tails would I go with?
Also Angel eyes, not sure on those either?
Any input at all guys? All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Taliben
10-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Also forgot the shark injector, but it's kinda outta my price range a bit.

danewilson77
10-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Khoalty can hook you up with black glossy or matte black grilles. I also vote you go clears all around, from them as well. I endorse the Shark. Glad you're posting, but I love lurkers too.

Get your A/E's from one of 3 places:

1. www.jlevi.com > Weisslichts A/E's in 6000k color. I have these. If you go this route, get the lifetime warranty for an extra $30.

2. www.umnitza.com > Predator Orion V2.

3. www.Kholty.com > I believe they have a new model out.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
10-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Lots of thoughts but unfortunately not a lot of time at the moment, so I'll try to answer w/my thoughts but brief-ish. Like the idea of black grills (think I got mine at Tischer, Khoalty sells too), ipod (usa-spec is popular, don't know Grom, USB w/b nice, I have DICE (no USB), many ppl go w/ebay headers but I don't have them so can't comment. I like AE's and will eventually get them, but it's lower on the list. AFE is nice. Shark or other tune such as AA is good, esp. if you get headers, as the tune can be customized. Probably better to do both around the same time. Not a light guy, so no opinion there. Also, many would say lower the car too. I haven't done that yet, but it's on the list. Of course, perform all maint. first, as I'm sure you know.

Hermes
10-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Maint first, then mods!!!

I personally don't like the eBay headers and won't get them myself. I'm still trying to find a good CA legal one for me. Tune yes, but like John said, make sure it's adjusted for headers if you decide to go that route. AE's are not my thing but Dane has already given some good choices. If you don't want the OEM black grill ($120) then just get the ones from Khoalty. Don't have an iPod kit yet but planning on it, just not sure if I'm gonna do the Nav retrofit since the cables are different. I would skip buying new lenses for now, try the 3M headlight refinishing kit first (it's like $20).

Also, get the Euro tray / get rid of the cupholders. Go Mini Go No Holes License Plate Bracket too. Check your windshield cowl, might wanna change that too if it's original

JHiggy
10-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Khoalty can hook you up with black glossy or matte black grilles. I also vote you go clears all around, from them as well. I endorse the Shark. Glad you're posting, but I love lurkers too.

Get your A/E's from one of 3 places:

1. www.jlevi.com > Weisslichts A/E's in 6000k color. I have these. If you go this route, get the lifetime warranty for an extra $30.

2. www.umnitza.com > Predator Orion V2.

3. www.Kholty.com > I believe they have a new model out.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

+1 on Dane's take. If you have Imola (and other variations as well...) clears all around, in my opinion are nice. Bought my Imola Red in part due to http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/05/11/mf-review-2004-bmw-3-series-zhp/

Def. go with Khoalty for the grill. Cheap alternative, looks great, fitment has been solid for me.

Newjack
10-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Clear corners on silvergrau is perfect. I personally like the look of the LED tails but that's just me.

Khoalty has been very good to me and I would recommend their black grills as well as their Angel eyes.

Getting the conforti shark injector is also a nice mod from what I hear.

Any of the above mentioned Angel eyes are great Nd you shouldn't have any problems with them.

As far as eBay headers go, you have to do a good bit of research on which headers will fit your car, which seller has them and also which seller has a good reputation.

BMW performance strut bar is also a nice bit of eye candy if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket.

LG Revolution + Tapatalk

cakM3
10-25-2011, 04:15 PM

I personally don't like the eBay headers and won't get them myself. I'm still trying to find a good CA legal one for me. Tune yes, but like John said, make sure it's adjusted for headers if you decide to go that route. AE's are not my thing but Dane has already given some good choices. If you don't want the OEM black grill ($120) then just get the ones from Khoalty. Don't have an iPod kit yet but planning on it, just not sure if I'm gonna do the Nav retrofit since the cables are different. I would skip buying new lenses for now, try the 3M headlight refinishing kit first (it's like $20).

Also, get the Euro tray / get rid of the cupholders. Go Mini Go No Holes License Plate Bracket too. Check your windshield cowl, might wanna change that too if it's original

Hermes put out some very good advice here! :thumbsup

Couldn't agree more......Maintenance before mods.....doesn't help if you are broke down somewhere even if your ride looks good....

Taliben
10-25-2011, 08:06 PM

I don't have to run a front plate in TN so no need for the license plate bracket. I'll definitely check out the headlight refinishing kit, but will it work if my lenses are pitted to hell? And I definitely need those cupholders, my car is the family school bus at the moment, so they're very useful.
I have about 400-500 maybe even 600 bucks to spend so my options are kinda limited at this time. I'm picking up some ATE super blue and SS brake lines from a friend, but besides that I can't decide whether to spend the rest of the money on exterior parts or go fast bits.

Hermes
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
need a picture of the lights in question to give you an answer

for $550 i just saw this on modbargains, BMW Performance exhaust p/n 18100429614
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/z/a/237.png

http://www.modbargains.com/BMW-Performance-E46-Exhaust.htm

its not the stock one, that one is p/n 18100026767
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/l/l/139.png

and if you wanna start saving now... Supersprint headers, maybe $2300. If you get the cats also make that $4800
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/Intake_Exhaust/ss/787401.787402_lg.gif

ryankokesh
10-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Not to knock khoalty, but a cheap alternative to buying black grills is painting them. I've done mine with plasti-dip, and they turned out really well. This summer I decided I wanted chrome again though, so I peeled it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billschusteriv
10-26-2011, 08:30 AM
I just went back and looked at the pictures on the e46f website. Nice score.

I like the clears and black kidney suggestions. Also suggest taping off and re-spraying your lower grill black if you haven't done this already.

Looks like you got an alcantra wheel and boots. You can always get a refresh from Coby if this is bugging you.

Other than that, she looks pretty cherry. In for more pics and updates as you move forward.

Taliben
10-26-2011, 02:02 PM
need a picture of the lights in question to give you an answer

for $550 i just saw this on modbargains, BMW Performance exhaust p/n 18100429614
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/z/a/237.png

http://www.modbargains.com/BMW-Performance-E46-Exhaust.htm

its not the stock one, that one is p/n 18100026767
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/l/l/139.png

and if you wanna start saving now... Supersprint headers, maybe $2300. If you get the cats also make that $4800
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/Intake_Exhaust/ss/787401.787402_lg.gif
As to the SS headers.....
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f91/121202d1242767795-chrome-rims-wheels-how-about-no.jpg

I'm 17 with little to no income, so if I had that kinda money, i'd either buy a turbo kit or some wheels. eBay headers are sounding kinda good from the one example on youtube, but does anyone know how the in-cabin rasp is?

I just went back and looked at the pictures on the e46f website. Nice score.

I like the clears and black kidney suggestions. Also suggest taping off and re-spraying your lower grill black if you haven't done this already.

Looks like you got an alcantra wheel and boots. You can always get a refresh from Coby if this is bugging you.

Other than that, she looks pretty cherry. In for more pics and updates as you move forward.

Well.... You see.... I ended up taking the lower grille out last weekend with my dad to paint it, and we couldn't get it back in, so it looks like i'm taking the bumper off next weekend. Also, my front passenger side window regulator is going out, and i've had an oem replacement in the trunk for a while now, hoping to install that this weekend as well. I did the magic eraser clean on my alcantra wheel, and it looked good at first, but now it's just deteriorated pretty much. Thinking about that coby wheel rewrap thing, but how long would the downtime be, since again, I'm the family school bus, so I have to chaffeur people around all day everyday and I can't have a ton of downtime. Also, I only have 600 bucks at tops to spend on mods right now, so wat do besides clears all around?

danewilson77
10-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Zero downtime on the Coby Wheel.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
10-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Zero downtime on the Coby Wheel.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

just to elaborate a bit, what Coby can do is send you a freshly wrapped wheel, and then when you send them back your original one they will refund you the core charge of $200. that's why there's no downtime.

Taliben
10-26-2011, 03:54 PM
just to elaborate a bit, what Coby can do is send you a freshly wrapped wheel, and then when you send them back your original one they will refund you the core charge of $200. that's why there's no downtime.

Oh that sounds pretty good.
Does anyone have a picture of a silbergrau 330i with smoked front corners and sides? I'm debating between that and clear.

Hermes
10-26-2011, 04:29 PM
As to the SS headers.....
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f91/121202d1242767795-chrome-rims-wheels-how-about-no.jpg

I'm 17 with little to no income, so if I had that kinda money, i'd either buy a turbo kit or some wheels. eBay headers are sounding kinda good from the one example on youtube, but does anyone know how the in-cabin rasp is?

Well.... You see.... I ended up taking the lower grille out last weekend with my dad to paint it, and we couldn't get it back in, so it looks like i'm taking the bumper off next weekend. Also, my front passenger side window regulator is going out, and i've had an oem replacement in the trunk for a while now, hoping to install that this weekend as well. I did the magic eraser clean on my alcantra wheel, and it looked good at first, but now it's just deteriorated pretty much. Thinking about that coby wheel rewrap thing, but how long would the downtime be, since again, I'm the family school bus, so I have to chaffeur people around all day everyday and I can't have a ton of downtime. Also, I only have 600 bucks at tops to spend on mods right now, so wat do besides clears all around?

I had no idea you were 17, but that shouldnt stop you from saving for better parts for your car. What I was trying to say with my comment is if you want to mod things, not to get the headers right now. Spend the money on other parts first. There are a lot of little things you can do to make your car run better.

Im just trying to pass on some experience because I was in your spot once. My first two cars were money pits because I would buy something, install, get tired of it, buy something else, get tired of it... you get the picture. Do the little things first, then work on big changes to your car.

For $600 get the clears, wheel rewrap and buy a bunch of little maint stuff like vanos kit, intake boot, windshield cowl (if yours is worn out), maybe some rear shock mount reinforcements, fcab and rtab... Just save money now for horsepower projects that you can get to later

antcamp
10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
how much are the black grilles? I just sand them down and spray them with matte black paint. Ive done it on three bmw's that ive owned and they look exactly the same. its easy and cheap to do. my old one got some road chips in it and then I just re painted the grille again. still looks good

GSEN820
10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
I agree with Hermes. You should put your money into your lights, grilles, cowl (if needed) and get your new lenses. Trust me I have modded many cars in my time, little mods like intake, headers and exhaust are just not that big of a deal. A really great running car will drive better.

Hermes gave you great advice at putting your money into the little things. This will make your car look better and give you what you are looking into achieving. Do it right the first time and you wont be as broke as me and others who have ever tried to shortcut paying up front first.

Your money will go really far by doing the little things and enhance your car at the sametime. Good luck on making it look good

johnrando
10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
how much are the black grilles? I just sand them down and spray them with matte black paint. Ive done it on three bmw's that ive owned and they look exactly the same. its easy and cheap to do. my old one got some road chips in it and then I just re painted the grille again. still looks good

I forget exactly but I think OEM ones are around $50-$60 each for the glossy black.

danewilson77
10-26-2011, 05:23 PM
I forget exactly but I think OEM ones are around $50-$60 each for the glossy black.

From khoa. Great thread, great advice.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Taliben
10-26-2011, 08:39 PM
So to me, right now it looks like all my lighting stuff is gonna come from Khoalty, and then i'm most likely getting the grom unit, which has some good reviews. I think that's my whole budget pretty much, unless something changes and i can get AE's, and then I'll get those Weisslicht's or he Orion V2 opaques. Also, clear or smoked sidemarker?

Taliben
10-27-2011, 01:48 PM
One more question: What about a clutch pedal stop from ECS tuning and a CDV delete?

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 02:17 PM
One more question: What about a clutch pedal stop from ECS tuning and a CDV delete?

Yes.

webster
10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
CDV delete is a great mod, most people who have done it will highly recommend it. clutch stop is all about whether you want/like the effect it produces. both are pretty cheap to do.

cakM3
10-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree with Hermes. You should put your money into your lights, grilles, cowl (if needed) and get your new lenses. Trust me I have modded many cars in my time, little mods like intake, headers and exhaust are just not that big of a deal. A really great running car will drive better.

Hermes gave you great advice at putting your money into the little things. This will make your car look better and give you what you are looking into achieving. Do it right the first time and you wont be as broke as me and others who have ever tried to shortcut paying up front first.

Your money will go really far by doing the little things and enhance your car at the sametime. Good luck on making it look good

OP, not to sound like an "echo box" but these guys are giving you some real solid advice here. We all started with little cash to do all the things we want to...I too have been there....actually I am still there in some ways....:biggrin

I can't agree more about getting all the little things out of the way and keeping up with maintenance throughout. Eventually, you will have $$$$ saved up to get the right parts. Cheaping out will only lead to waste of $$$$ because in the long run you will only wish you had saved money for the real thing....

Take your time...you'll get there :thumbsup Also keep your eye out in the classified section....eventually you will spot something you want in your price range :)

Taliben
10-27-2011, 06:34 PM
One of my friends actually has a Borla catback exhaust for sale pretty cheap, and I might pick that up off him. That is, if I have any money left over, since my SES light is on. Any clue as to what it could be? I know I need to take it somewhere to get the code read but no clue after that.

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 06:42 PM
One of my friends actually has a Borla catback exhaust for sale pretty cheap, and I might pick that up off him. That is, if I have any money left over, since my SES light is on. Any clue as to what it could be? I know I need to take it somewhere to get the code read but no clue after that.

Get the code read....we'll take it from there.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Taliben
10-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I got quoted at one shop for about 55 bucks. Does that sound about fair?

Hermes
10-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I got quoted at one shop for about 55 bucks. Does that sound about fair?

quoted for what? to read the codes... for something else, depends on what it is

Taliben
10-27-2011, 09:03 PM

55 to just get the codes read.

acontzhp
10-27-2011, 10:28 PM
55 to just get the codes read.

$55 to get your codes read is ridiculous. It should be free

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Taliben
10-28-2011, 04:00 AM
$55 to get your codes read is ridiculous. It should be free

That's what I thought. But this was at an independent shop, and not the main BMW dealer. I'll check there tomorrow to see how much it is. Anyone got a code reader that they would be willing to let me borrow;)

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 05:02 AM

More than fair. Usually it's one hour of labor. Looks like they are only chargng you for 30 minutes.

Get it read for free at Autozone, or Advance. Tell em your from the Mafia.

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 05:08 AM
That's what I thought. But this was at an independent shop, and not the main BMW dealer. I'll check there tomorrow to see how much it is. Anyone got a code reader that they would be willing to let me borrow;)

I'll let you borrow mine?

UdubBadger
10-28-2011, 05:17 AM
More than fair. Usually it's one hour of labor. Looks like they are only chargng you for 30 minutes.

Get it read for free at Autozone, or Advance. Tell em your from the Mafia.

I've done this, they are helpful but won't let you clear codes (claim they can get fined $10,000). If they are cool you can ask them to look the other way for a min and they'll know what you're saying and help you out.

Taliben
10-28-2011, 12:12 PM
So I guess I'm just gonna head over to autozone and see what the code is. If all else fails I'll go to that shop and get it dealt with.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

acontzhp
10-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Another free option is to take you're car to local community college auto program. That's what I did when I was throwing codes. They even found the found the exact problem and I fixed it myself. Hardest part is usually the diagnoses. So I let them do that part

Taliben
10-28-2011, 01:19 PM
So I took the car to autozone and they read the codes. I'm throwing a P0171 and a P0174 which are system is too lean in banks 1&2. Which is weird cause there is only one bank. Any clues as to what the problem?

acontzhp
10-28-2011, 04:03 PM
So I took the car to autozone and they read the codes. I'm throwing a P0171 and a P0174 which are system is too lean in banks 1&2. Which is weird cause there is only one bank. Any clues as to what the problem?

Those are the same codes I had. I had a huge hole in my upper intake boot. I had a horrible idle on cold start a well

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Most common codes, hands down, on an e46. Vacuum leak. Check intake stream first.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Taliben
10-28-2011, 05:05 PM
It's most likely something to do with the intake cause i got that afe one andbi attempted to install it only to find out that a couple things were missing from the box. I'm gonna install it this weekend so hopefully the code will get taken cared of.

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 06:39 PM
It's most likely something to do with the intake cause i got that afe one andbi attempted to install it only to find out that a couple things were missing from the box. I'm gonna install it this weekend so hopefully the code will get taken cared of.

Just check your intake, all the way to the icv when you do this. Might as well clean icv. Then be done with it.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Taliben
10-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Just check your intake, all the way to the icv when you do this. Might as well clean icv. Then be done with it.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
Hopefully I'll get that dealt with today.

Taliben
10-31-2011, 05:46 AM
Got that afe intake put on yesterday. I love it so far. The noise is awesome. But it didn't clear my ses light, so I guess I gotta go plead with autozone to clear it. Or could it be something else?

JHiggy
10-31-2011, 08:03 AM
BTW, that's my favorite pic of your ride Dane.

cakM3
10-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I have to agree with JH....Dane love the pic in your sig...:thumbsup

webster
10-31-2011, 10:00 AM
thirded on the sig, DW. that pic is pure awesome.

danewilson77
10-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks all. It was a sleeper shot.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Taliben
11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
So, I gots a querstion. Will the code just go away if the problem is fixed, or do i need to go get it manually cleared?

Hermes
11-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I could be wrong but I think it needs to be cleared

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 04:42 PM
So, I gots a querstion. Will the code just go away if the problem is fixed, or do i need to go get it manually cleared?

Should have it cleared with the reader, as it may take several hundred miles to clear itself.

Hermes
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
He doesnt have one DW, went to AutoZone

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
He doesnt have one DW, went to AutoZone

Werd.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

L0veZHP
11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=625874

Scroll down to "nleksan's" post. He writes down everything you need for performance.. and take everyones advice here because they're all right..

The way I tackled my car was:
1) Cosmetically bring the car back to life. (Angel eyes, ECS OEM PARTS (interior and ex), No hole plates, Dings/paint chips, Lighting all around http://www.khoalty.com/ and http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/ helped a lot.

Then this helped make it shine! http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2211-General-Detailing-Guide-Written-by-M0nk3y

2) Work on all the maintenance for the car. Got all my parts from ECS and Khoalty.
This helped me http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595553.

3) performance.. the first url I gave you helped me with that. You can go with F/I too if you have the money.

L0veZHP
11-01-2011, 06:11 PM
OP, not to sound like an "echo box" but these guys are giving you some real solid advice here. We all started with little cash to do all the things we want to...I too have been there....actually I am still there in some ways....:biggrin

I can't agree more about getting all the little things out of the way and keeping up with maintenance throughout. Eventually, you will have $$$$ saved up to get the right parts. Cheaping out will only lead to waste of $$$$ because in the long run you will only wish you had saved money for the real thing....

Take your time...you'll get there :thumbsup Also keep your eye out in the classified section....eventually you will spot something you want in your price range :)

I totally agree with Cakm3 because I've thought about selling my ZHP so many times because I simply don't have the money to maintain it.. and modify it.. But slowly and surly I made money and bought mods that to me felt like i was really going a long way... There's nothing better than looking at your car and saying I made it look/drive the way it does now. My goal was to always look as cool as Dane's ZHP so I also had a lot of motivation from his car and the guys on this forum really leaned me towards keeping my car and I love it <3

Go Horns!
11-03-2011, 01:04 PM
To keep myself from going overboard, I have a line item in my personal budget for mods. I try to save at least $100 a month for non-maintenance items. I do have some great accounting tricks though, for example, coil-overs can be half maintenance and half mod if you wait until you need a suspension refresh.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-03-2011, 02:25 PM
:like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk