PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a ZHP convertible with 74K miles?

Ape Factory
10-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Found a ZHP locally that appears to have every available option. I'd been searching for a used M3 for my wife for some time. I'm definitely a "car guy" and my wife, not as much. She's currently driving a Miata which is a bit on the small side for myself so I'd like to move her up to something a bit larger and quite a bit nicer. She wants an automatic and I won't touch an SMG gearbox with a 10 ft. pole.

A co-worker has a 2005 ZHP coupe that he bought with 10K miles on the odometer which got me thinking about that model. Came across a convertible ZHP 330ci at the local BMW dealership with 74K miles. It's a convertible and normally, I would not consider a car with 74K miles. But it's within our price range (listing at $18K) and the car is absolutely mint from what I can tell. I'm not exaggerating either. Except for a speck of dirt in some of the natural features of the leather, there's not a scratch anywhere on the interior and no major dents, scratches or blemishes on the exterior either. The steering wheel looks brand new. Any paint chips were fixed with a touch up brush. There aren't many. The car has not been in any accidents or had any bodywork done on it. All the switches show no wear, as does the top. If someone told me the car had 20K on the odometer, I'd believe them.

The owner had a few extras thrown on at the dealership:
-Strut tower bar
-Msport intake
-Msport exhaust
-black kidney grills

It has the cold weather package as well as brand new Pilot Sport 2 tires. The dealer has full service records and the carfax, while not completely accurate, is incident free. I've considered that the dealer replaced the steering wheel (it's the Alcantara version) as it has ZERO wear on it and the alcantara was known to wear prematurely.

They let me have the car for a few hours and I gave it a good test drive. Does not appear to have Vanos issues, tracks true, top goes up and down without drama or issues. I can't find ANYTHING wrong on the car. And again, it's just mint on the inside.

With that said, it still has 74,000 miles and I'm probably looking at doing a bit of preventive maintenance in the not too distant future.
-Vanos seals
-cooling system
-suspension bushings

Now I realize the internet (and car forums) often highlight problems and not necessarily the success stories. As I said before, I'm a car guy. I'm fully mechanically inclined, enough to install engines, troubleshoot, etc...but I'm not sure I want to spend more time under cars at this point. I moved on from high hp sports cars to motorcycles as they're less work! I also don't want to fork over $3K within two years to have the dealer fix known issues. Honestly, the cooling system and vanos (valve cover gasket too) don't seem that bad but suspension bushings are a PITA and time consuming. I read another post where the guy was on his third set!

I'm just wondering if I'm sort of bringing home Pandora's box with this car. I have not taken it anywhere else for a PPI. I have a contact on the inside of the dealership who's checking with the mechanics to get an inside scoop on the car, if there is one.

The car needs nothing as it sits now. I'd maybe consider a coolant snitch as my wife is driving the car. I just want her to have a fun car that she'll enjoy and that she's safe in. She's a recent cancer survivor and quite frankly, after what she's been through, she deserves it. But I don't want to hand over the keys to a headache.

Thoughts greatly appreciated. Anything else I should look for?
Michel

zj96sc
10-10-2011, 06:11 AM
Given your mechanical competence, I would not hesitate to buy an e46 with 74k on the ticker, if you can indeed get copies and proof of proper mx history.

Vanos seals and rattle kit + cooling system are definitely great and necessary steps to take when nearing the 100k mark. I would assume when you say "suspension bushings" that you're referring to the front control arm bushings - this job is not as bad as you're envisioning with traditional pressed in suspension bushings. Step up to the powerflex or Meyle HD bushings and they won't fail as often either.

The good thing about E46s is that, provided you can do the work yourself, it all becomes relatively inexpensive to do. Parts prices are very reasonable, IMO. BMWs get a bit of a bad wrap overall, but with proper PREVENTIVE maintenance, they can last forever and treat you very well. They are not cars for passive owners. Live/breathe "old school maintenance" and that 74k will never matter. I don't really see any way that you'd have to fork over $3k in 2 years, short of an overheat.

Like you hinted at, I'd have a good PPI done by an independent shop familiar with the E46 and preferably familiar with the ZHP. Cooling system health, VANOS rattle, control arm bushing condition - you've really already identified all the major things to watch for. You don't have ZKW lights so you don't need to watch out for the burned headlight bowls. You might want to make sure the headlight leveling works properly. Have all the codes pulled to get a good idea of what's going on inside the boxes.

I'm not totally up to speed on convertible pricing, but my first from the hip guess is that for an '05 with 74k, $18 might be a tad high. I'll let the rest of the mafia weigh in on this.

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Suspension bushings aren't bad at all.

I would offer $16k.

Sounds like a nice car.

You will be fine.....Add pulley's / belts / brakes / shocks-struts to your 100k maintenance plan.

Ask co-worker if he's heard of us.

cakM3
10-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Michel,

The ZHP sounds like a great car and if your inside contacts tell you that it's been well maintained then I feel this is a no-brainer! I'd go for it. Mileage is just a number if the car has been well maintained and as zj mentioned earlier... Preventive Maintenance is the key...

Yes, if I were in the market for a vert and this is the car I was looking for (knowing that this car had an excellent maintenance history), I would buy it...:) I bought my ZHP with 105k but knew it had a great maintenance history....never looked back :)

GL! and I am glad to hear that your wife is a recent cancer survivor! Good news :thumbsup

webster
10-10-2011, 07:45 AM
in a word, yes :)

Marcus-SanDiego
10-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Sounds like a great car. The $18K price tag is in the ballpark. I'm guessing the dealer would take $17K.

Ape Factory
10-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Just got the "inside" word from one of the mechanics and the car was indeed well maintained and I did see the full service records. The car was serviced, even after the warranty, at the dealer. Steering wheel is new, hence no marks.

Having owned a 1995 RX7 with a single turbo, I'm no stranger to preventative maintenance! Right now I'm driving an Infiniti which, really, is just maintenance free save the oil and recommended changes for belts, tranny fluid, etc...no bad gaskets, no bushings to replace, gives me more time to work on the important stuff.

But I do like the car and I know she will too. So we'll see where we get the price to and I'll report back!

Thanks again. Oh, I'll fill my co-worker in on the site. He's not a heavy internet user but his car is exceptional. He flew up to North Carolina to drive it back. Was specifically looking for the ZHP package. Car is mint inside and out. I'll take a photo of his ride and post it up while encouraging him to join.

Ape Factory
10-10-2011, 09:00 AM
A few quick iPhone photos...
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/apefactory/car.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/apefactory/interior.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/apefactory/engine.jpg

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 09:02 AM
A few quick iPhone photos...
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/apefactory/car.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/apefactory/interior.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/apefactory/engine.jpg

:drool

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
10-10-2011, 09:05 AM
The owner put aftermarket grilles on it, BMW Performance intake, and an M strut brace on it. Also put an M badge on the cover that goes over the vanos. Plus, I see an M badge on the sill. And, finally, an aftermarket pedal kit.

Given the floor mats, I am thinking that Keith would approve of the dealer. :biggrin

Car looks great.

Ape Factory
10-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Apparently he bought the car and drove it over to service where he had that stuff installed. Does it on all his cars.

echo46
10-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Bro, that is one sweet looking vert. I would jump all over it. 74,000 on these cars is nothing as long as your willing to do the preventive maintenance as stated above. Man that thing looks clean.

webster
10-10-2011, 09:23 AM
looks great, very standard and simple mods. interior combo is perfect. and it's imola, can't beat that.

i like the //M sills, i wonder how easy those are to DIY...

Mike V
10-10-2011, 10:08 AM
That looks great! I see it's an 04, so I'd say $17k would be a fair price.

GSEN820
10-10-2011, 10:42 AM
What a clean looking car. I love the mods that the car currently has on it. You hit the major problems, but a small price for a durable engine that you will get a whole lot more life out of.

The price is not bad at all either. I have all the same options on mine (2006)

zj96sc
10-10-2011, 11:22 AM
So what's the verdict? Is it an '04 or '05?

That thing is squeaky clean.

So...vert owners....what does that button above the seat tilt lever do?

Marcus-SanDiego
10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Looks like '04. First post in the thread refers to an '05 but that's the friend's ZHP.

zj96sc
10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
OHHHHHHH got it got it got it. I thought he was talking about buying the friend's ZHP, which was an '05 with 74k. I'm a tard.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
No worries, pal!

Ape Factory
10-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Yes, the red one in the pics is an 04. Friend's is an 05. Just got done telling him about the forum and he's going to check it out. I have a photo of his car, will post shortly. I spent the day dealing with a home issue so didn't get to do any more negotiating on the BMW.

Ape Factory
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
His ride...it may be an 06 but couldn't ask as he just ran out the door to look at the convertible.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/apefactory/Blue.jpg

Ape Factory
10-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Well it's a no-go. Co-worker went over to look at it and it was in the service bay getting cleaned up for delivery. Someone bought it from underneath us. The search continues. I may have the shortest membership on the ZHP forum ever! But thanks again for the replies, I do appreciate it. Seems like a good bunch in here.

Marcus-SanDiego
10-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Ape, you're a member for life.

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Ape, you're a member for life.

+1

Ape Factory
10-10-2011, 02:21 PM
LOL, forgot, it's the MAFIA!

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 03:22 PM
LOL, forgot, it's the MAFIA!

"Blood in, Blood out"

kayger12
10-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Given the floor mats, I am thinking that Keith would approve of the dealer. :biggrin

Car looks great.

Highly approve. :biggrin

:keith

Droid X. Forum Runner. Use it.

johnrando
10-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear it sold. And yes, mafia for life. GL finding next.

imola red zhp
10-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Ape,
I was following posts all day, sorry other it was sold, no worries...there's one out there for you I'm still searching for mine, its a great group in here it, all family..GL

sent from Dennis' Droid using tapatalk