PDA

View Full Version : Made a Big Boo-Boo on Windshield Wipers

das boots
10-08-2011, 06:48 PM
I found a small crack on windshield after removing the old windshield cowl. So, I had windshield replaced. I installed the new windshield cowl. When I was installing the wipers, I was testing the rest position of the wipers. I tightened a little bit on both with pressure nut. Thinking the plastic sleeve and washer goes on top. Wrong again! Now, the wipers will not come out due to the pressure nut. The wipers are loose but the PN are tight. I placed some penetrating fluid first. And I tried to use two screw drivers to pull up from the base of the wipers. No go. I tried to get a grip with vise grip, but will not lock due to small grip area. I also tried a hammer and tap on top of the shaft using the nut so the threads will not mushroom. All still a no go. I did not want to put too much pressure since the wipers are so close to the glass. What I did was a stupid move without going through on the sequence of install. I was cussing and kicking myself for such a dumb move. Any ideas how to remove the wipers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

danewilson77
10-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Move the wiper back and forth.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I did. Or just straight pulling the base of the wiper up. The wiper rotates loose around the pressure nut. I will start this again tomorrow looking for a solution. This will be bugging me until I resolve this issue.

danewilson77
10-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Ok.....just wiggle the sheet outta it while pulling out a lil....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zj96sc
10-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Might might might be able to get a smaller sized 3 jaw puller in there. Thread the nut on 1 or 2 threads to give the puller post somewhere nice to sit.

das boots
10-09-2011, 04:43 PM
I have been thinking of this. Using a small bearing puller and as you said the thread nut as the platform. I will have to swing by Harbor Freight if they have small pullers with possibly the pussy clamp (base clamp). Pardon Navy terminologies....What possibly might happen is that the wiper base arm will not be able to handle the pressure on pulling up and mushroom the base hole. And will leave the pressure nut in place.

das boots
10-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Done. Removed by the good ole three prong bearing puller. Compliments of one of our sponsors...Harbor Freight (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10810933). Will need to replace the pressure nut since I had it scaped and worn down of knurl with the wiper arm base. The wiper arm is still good. Resprayed it Black on the base to get rid of the scrapes. A lesson to me on never underestimating the sequence on putting back together. Thanks to all for your input.

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Good deal. I wasn't getting any rest. I mean I was sleeping...just not very well, knowing you were in this predicament.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Dane...you're all heart. Sniff.....sniff. Hark!!!! I hear Violin Concerto in D minor playing in the background. But thanks anyway for your concern.

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Dane...you're all heart. Sniff.....sniff. Hark!!!! I hear Violin Concerto in D minor playing in the background. But thanks anyway for your concern.

Srsly....good to hear you're all fixed up.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zj96sc
10-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Woo! Glad you got it sorted. What do I win? :)

BTW....its D minor ;)

Rustyh
10-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Ok.....just wiggle the sheet outta it while pulling out a lil....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

LOL! Right out of the BMW technicians manual!. My kind of wrench. :)

Rusty

das boots
10-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Woo! Glad you got it sorted. What do I win? :)

BTW....its D minor ;)

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! You are right. D Minor it is. You just won a copy of my signature. Might be worth something if I run for Prez one day.....LOL.