PDA

View Full Version : SMG Steering Wheel

das boots
10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
What makes them different from regular steering wheels? Aside from paddles...can they be used to replace our steering wheels? I know that the paddles have to be removed. But are there any electronics or wiring that would be required to be removed to be compatible? I do not know what the wheels would look like without the paddles if removed. Evidently, there would be gaps on the back? Local guy is selling steering wheel but said paddles can be removed. So, no idea what they would like like....anybody got pics? Thanks.

pleasecorrupt
10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
If I remember correctly, you have a manual. Regardless, theres a smg retrofit for automatics so I assume that you can somehow install a smg without wiring it and use it as steering wheel.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826971

coby1
10-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Yes you can use it you would have the holes in the back(cannot really be seen) and you would have to use a "regular" 6spd harness from your current wheel, smg harness has extra wires etc.

das boots
10-03-2011, 05:07 AM
I think I did not really communicate what I really intend to do. Coby1 got it right. I have an alcantara steering wheel. Would a steering wheel with SMG be compatible as replacement? If that is the case, then there would be a big gap in the back of the steering wheel by removing the SMG paddles. I am more concerned also on the wiring and etc from the paddles that is to be removed. Can the extra harness for the SMG be removed? Also, how much is the running price for a used SMG leather steering wheel nowadays?????

danewilson77
10-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Could you just leave the paddles installed?

das boots
10-03-2011, 05:17 AM
Could you just leave the paddles installed?

Dane...any specific reason why the paddles remain installed aside from cosmetics? LOL. Wouldn't they interfere when doing turns although the car will not be auto-X'ed.

cakM3
10-03-2011, 06:35 AM
The SMG paddles would not interfere when doing turns while autocrossing. See CSL... The CSL only comes in SMG flavor (paddles) and it's awesome on the Nurburgring.

As for the gaps, I don't see that being a problem if you removed the SMG paddles. Just swap out the internals from your ZHP wheel to the new wheel and you should be all set. If anything, take a pic of the ZHP wheel with everything connected (- airbag) then do the swap out and you should be okay.

coby1
10-03-2011, 06:43 AM
pics you can use the smg harness of the smg on a 6sp(just ditch the paddle switches) i thought the paddle wires were integrated into the full harness but they are not.of course the smg slip ring and 6spd slip ring are different so just for reference you could not put a smg paddle wheel onto a regular automatic car and expect it to function as a paddle shift you would need more modifications/ but you could put a paddle wheel onto a 6spd and it will work as a regular wheel with no mods needed.

cakM3
10-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Like Coby said, you would have spaces but you won't see them and it won't affect the operation of your wheel :thumbsup

Thanks Coby for the pics :thumbsup

zj96sc
10-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Extra points if you wire up the paddles to mp3 files of F1 downshifts and upshifts. :)

das boots
10-03-2011, 07:17 AM
pics you can use the smg harness of the smg on a 6sp(just ditch the paddle switches) i thought the paddle wires were integrated into the full harness but they are not.of course the smg slip ring and 6spd slip ring are different so just for reference you could not put a smg paddle wheel onto a regular automatic car and expect it to function as a paddle shift you would need more modifications/ but you could put a paddle wheel onto a 6spd and it will work as a regular wheel with no mods needed.

Coby, if I get this right from your statement, that all I have to do is remove the smg harness and the paddles all will be good? Just gut out what are not required? And the rest of the harness are the same with what I got? Any rough idea what is the running price for a smg steering wheel? BTW, thanks for the pics.

coby1
10-03-2011, 07:29 AM
yes look at the pics the wires are the same(less the paddle switch wires) smg used wheel who knows i have gotten them for 60.00 thru 275.00 all depends on shape etc. of course i just buy them to cover so i have had some that look brand new but used them as cores for Alcantara wheels.

das boots
10-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks Coby.