PDA

View Full Version : Just realized something interesting

Hermes
09-28-2011, 09:08 PM
was looking around on E46F when I saw this:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8793/navretrofitbmwe464.jpg

I read some more of the thread and then I realized HEY, I have that but I don't have NAV... wait is my car prewired?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/rear%20deck/P1000385.jpg

Then I did a little more searching and realized the 'Shark Fin' on my roof is actually the antenna for my bluetooth, I always assumed the original owner ordered it for the look since the car didnt have NAV. I also until now assumed that the antenna was for the NAV system.

So... maybe one day I will get around to a retrofit, not gonna happen anytime soon but its nice to know that its prewired

danewilson77
09-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Nice deduction.

jreyes19
09-29-2011, 04:31 AM
So your pre-wired, that should make that future install a little easier

I have no shark fin:( so no blutooth

thanks for info

cakM3
09-29-2011, 02:30 PM
My ZHP did not come with sharkfin but I have full integrated bluetooth. :biggrin The sharkfin antenna is used for bluetooth but when you have a phone cradle installed. If you are like me, using a bluetooth cell phone w/o a cradle then the sharkfin antenna serves no function.

My ///M has the sharkfin antenna and comparing the performance of my iPhone between both cars, there is no difference so if you are still interested in having hands-free bluetooth, it's still possible.

@Hermes, good catch. I didn't realize that the GPS antenna was preinstalled on our cars....doesn't matter for me since both of my bimmers come with Nav...(obviously everything installed)

Hermes
09-29-2011, 02:57 PM
My ZHP did not come with sharkfin but I have full integrated bluetooth. :biggrin The sharkfin antenna is used for bluetooth but when you have a phone cradle installed. If you are like me, using a bluetooth cell phone w/o a cradle then the sharkfin antenna serves no function.

My ///M has the sharkfin antenna and comparing the performance of my iPhone between both cars, there is no difference so if you are still interested in having hands-free bluetooth, it's still possible.

@Hermes, good catch. I didn't realize that the GPS antenna was preinstalled on our cars....doesn't matter for me since both of my bimmers come with Nav...(obviously everything installed)

So am I to understand that I should have a cradle somewhere? Why would the fin be installed then if I don't have one

kayger12
09-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Outside chance you have bluetooth. I had my car for four months before I figured out that she actually had bluetooth installed. Figured my fin was just for the NAV.

Got a good tip from the Family on how to check. Just pull the trunk liner on the left side and look for the silver module pictured in this post. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1544-how-to-pair-up-bluetooth-on-2006-BMW-330-ZHP&p=30401#post30401

danewilson77
09-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Outside chance you have bluetooth. I had my car for four months before I figured out that she actually had bluetooth installed. Figured my fin was just for the NAV.

Got a good tip from the Family on how to check. Just pull the trunk liner on the left side and look for the silver module pictured in this post. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1544-how-to-pair-up-bluetooth-on-2006-BMW-330-ZHP&p=30401#post30401

KG...do you have an "S" on your chest?

kayger12
09-29-2011, 03:58 PM
KG...do you have an "S" on your chest?

No, but I do have pair of Superman Underoos :keith

danewilson77
09-29-2011, 04:02 PM
^:rofl

Hermes
09-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Not exactly what I meant. I've known I had bluetooth the whole time I've had the car. Should I have a cradle of I have the fin? My Bluetooth works perfect so just confused now...

kayger12
09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Not exactly what I meant. I've known I had bluetooth the whole time I've had the car. Should I have a cradle of I have the fin? My Bluetooth works perfect so just confused now...

Oops-- there I go offering up useless info, lol.

My bad-- thought you were trying to figure out if you had bluetooth.

Just pretend I was never here :ninja

az3579
09-29-2011, 05:17 PM
The fin may be a BMW assist thing. Charlie mentioned that his M3 had BMW assist at one point when he swapped out his rearview mirror. His M has the fin. His ZHP doesn't, and as far as I remember, that ZHP didn't have BMW assist.

cakM3
09-29-2011, 05:40 PM
BP,

From what was explained to me at BMW the sharkfin is used with the cell phone cradle to provide additional reception/transmission for the cell phone, not BMW assist but now you got me thinking....hmmmmmm I will have to do some research on this.....

My ///M still has BMW assist even though I did retrofit the oval ///M mirror. I just access BMW assist from my navi menu now, that's all.

My ZHP does not have BMW assist but I don't know if the later ones had this as an option since mine is a 2003...anyone would like to add to this discussion???

Hermes
09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
BP,

From what was explained to me at BMW the sharkfin is used with the cell phone cradle to provide additional reception/transmission for the cell phone, not BMW assist but now you got me thinking....hmmmmmm I will have to do some research on this.....

My ///M still has BMW assist even though I did retrofit the oval ///M mirror. I just access BMW assist from my navi menu now, that's all.

My ZHP does not have BMW assist but I don't know if the later ones had this as an option since mine is a 2003...anyone would like to add to this discussion???

Now that you mention it my mirror does have the BMW Assist buttons, I've just never really thought about it since I never used it

wsmeyer
09-29-2011, 06:34 PM
BP,

Bluetooth would typically only communicate with devices inside the car so it wouldn't make sense to put the antenna for it on the outside of the car. On my 2006 Bluetooth and BMW assist came together as the same package so I'd guess it's for cellular signal for the Assist and at least pre wired for the cradle.

I hope I'm right as that means cars that have Assist only need to buy the phone cradle to utilize the ext antenna.

William.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.855598,-118.398113

Hermes
09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Ok, the next question then is what is the advantage of the fin antenna, do you get better reception using the cradle?

cakM3
09-30-2011, 09:32 AM
I hope I'm right as that means cars that have Assist only need to buy the phone cradle to utilize the ext antenna.

William.

Will,

This is how I understand it :thumbsup As for BMW Assist, what you say seems to make perfect sense.

~Charlie