PDA

View Full Version : Expected maintenance and repairs for ZHP cars with higher mileage?

MPowerFanatic
09-16-2011, 12:06 PM
I have decided to go ZHP after a couple of discussions with a forum member versus a couple other 3-series I have been looking at.

Now the tough part is finding the right color, mileage and lesser extent location. I want a 6MT and trying to decide whether to save money and get a higher mileage car versus one with lower mileage, but less required repairs and maintenance.

If I choose a car with 100K miles, what repairs and maintenance should I ask the previous owner if they have been performed? I know these cars have cooling system issues and bushing problems. Is VANOS an issue like the M3? How long do the clutches generally last if not abused? What else generally goes wrong with these 330i cars?

Thanks

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 12:09 PM
-It's a manual or Auto?

-Is considered high mileage = Bad...maybe

-It really depends on how it was treated.

-Treated = Maintenance + How it was driven

-Ask owner for maintenance records.

-Get a Pre-Purchase Inspection at a reliable shop.

-If you buy.....

1. Change out all fluids asap. 1) Tranny 2) Diff 3) Crankcase 4) PS Fluid

2. Inspect brakes. Look at rotors and see if they appear grooved or if there is excessive "lip"

3. Likely needs new suspension if not replaced.

4. VANOS overhauled? When?

5. Coolant system overhaul completed? When?

6. Pulleys and belts will likely need replaced.

7. Make sure all windows roll smoothly with no noises.

8. Tire tread. Look also here for abnormal wear.

Hermes
09-16-2011, 01:39 PM
DW - he's asking about a 6MT, you'd know better than me about how long the clutch lasts "if not abused"

ranger
09-16-2011, 02:31 PM
I recently purchased a 2005 ZHP Coupe 6MT with 106,000 miles. I spent $770 to purchase radiator, water pump, expansion tank, thermostat, belts, pulleys, hoses, spark plugs, antifreeze, transmission and differential fluid. I paid another BMW enthusiast $300 to install all those parts.

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 02:39 PM
DW - he's asking about a 6MT, you'd know better than me about how long the clutch lasts "if not abused"

OK....I would say >300k miles.

kayger12
09-16-2011, 03:13 PM
OK....I would say >300k miles.

Yep. Different trans, but my friend got 300k out of original E36 clutch before the car was totaled by his wife.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.