PDA

View Full Version : Need To Vent!

WOLFN8TR
09-08-2011, 07:42 AM
I bought my ZHP in two months ago. I spent around $1000 dollars so far fixing issues with the car. Replaced the Oil Filter Housing gasket, belts, pulleys, window gasket, hood cowl, reflectors and totally detailed the car inside and out. Drove it to work yesterday and even my coworkers said "Man the Bimmer is looking good"!

I always park far out away from all the idiots. So I come out after work and notice the hood is all sratched up, looks like something such as a purse was set down and pushed! Unbelievable!!

I'm not much of a detailing expert so is there anything you guys can recommend product wise to buff these out? I do have a buffer but it's not a nuematic one. I can feel two of the scratches with my finger nail so they are fairly deep.
I can post some photos up later...

Thanks in advance.

VA//M3
09-08-2011, 07:44 AM
I bought my ZHP in two months ago. I spent around $1000 dollars so far fixing issues with the car. Replaced the Oil Filter Housing gasket, belts, pulleys, window gasket, hood cowl, reflectors and totally detailed the car inside and out. Drove it to work yesterday and even my coworkers said "Man the Bimmer is looking good"!

I always park far out away from all the idiots. So I come out after work and notice the hood is all sratched up, looks like something such as a purse was set down and pushed! Unbelievable!!

I'm not much of a detailing expert so is there anything you guys can recommend product wise to buff these out? I do have a buffer but it's not a nuematic one. I can feel two of the scratches with my finger nail so they are fairly deep.

Thanks in advance.

I would take it to a professional and wouldn't tackle it myself with a DA buffer and without experience.

They would be able to tell you if a 1 or 2 stage correction will be needed to take the scratch out but at that point you might just consider doing the whole car if your budget permits it.

Here's just one example of someone who knows what their doing with a DA or rotary buffer.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1710397

Before
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/speedfreak81/2.jpg
After
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/speedfreak81/DSC_0249.jpg

danewilson77
09-08-2011, 07:47 AM
No need for experience. DA it yourself. For what you pay "the proffesional" you can do yourself with a kit from Detailed image, Autogeek, Griots, etc...

I'm self taught.....and a M0nk3y protege.

If you get the Lakehurst pads, there is no chance of ruining your paint.

VA//M3
09-08-2011, 07:53 AM
No need for experience. DA it yourself. For what you pay "the proffesional" you can do yourself with a kit from Detailed image, Autogeek, Griots, etc...

I'm self taught.....and a M0nk3y protege.

If you get the Lakehurst pads, there is no chance of ruining your paint.

You will probably save 50% going that route. I haven't ventured into that myself because I know I will spend way too much time learning, money and obssessing about it. I've already got enough to obsess about. :cigar

I'd rather pay someone and not worry about it.

:rofl

johnrando
09-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Such a bummer that this happened. Just can't figure people out sometimes. Hope the fix goes well, whatever track you take.

WOLFN8TR
09-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the advice and info. What does something like that usually run when going to a Professional?
I'm really all about the DIY, Dane is there any specific product you would recommend from the 3 listed above?

Ya I don't get people either, I respect everyones property like it's my own. I hit a car in a parking lot one time years ago. Couldn't find the owner so I left a note for them to contact me and I would pay for the repair. They called a few days later and were so amazed someone cared enough to fess up they split the bill with me.

Good Kharma....

jreyes19
09-08-2011, 09:32 AM
im sorry
these things happen unfortunately,
i do the same and park away from everyone but somehow
the largest car in the lot finds itself parking next to me even when the entire lot is open :(
hope you get it fixed
i suggest you DIY, but i dont have any experience with scratch buffing chemicals sorry

vent away.. my friend .....vent away
we feel your pain :(

WOLFN8TR
09-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Anyone here used Eagle One Nanowax? Car guru here at work swears by it. Alot of great reviews on it also.

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/core_nanowax.asp

gr330zhp
09-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Get an orbitor, it will make a world of a difference. I learned all on my own. The cars that you see with bad swirls usually come from a bad body shop. I have seen this wwith our own cars in 2 cases, and with friends cars on a few other occasions.

As long as you use clean pads and dont fall asleep in one spot you will only make your paint better

Hermes
09-08-2011, 01:02 PM
1 - clay bar to clean up surface first
2 - polish to cut the surface layer (try new/clean pads)
3 - when you're done give it a nice coat of wax, deep scratches might need more heavy duty/pro work

WOLFN8TR
09-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the tips...

cakM3
09-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks in advance.

Regarding your scratched hood... do you have birds where you are at? I'm asking because where I work we have seagulls and they like to land on cars.

My bootlid and roof usually gets the " treatment" and I'm forced to do paint correction detailing which is a real pain...

I use Meguiars 105 compound to smoothen out the deep scratches and then switch to a polish like Show Car Glaze #7 then a sealer. The process takes several hours but then it's good to go again...until the next time...

WOLFN8TR
09-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Regarding your scratched hood... do you have birds where you are at? I'm asking because where I work we have seagulls and they like to land on cars.

My bootlid and roof usually gets the " treatment" and I'm forced to do paint correction detailing which is a real pain...

I use Meguiars 105 compound to smoothen out the deep scratches and then switch to a polish like Show Car Glaze #7 then a sealer. The process takes several hours but then it's good to go again...until the next time...

No thank god we don't otherwise I'm sure they would find my car.

Thanks for the wax recommendations...

Ryans323i
09-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Anyone here used Eagle One Nanowax? Car guru here at work swears by it. Alot of great reviews on it also.

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/core_nanowax.asp

I use Eagle One Nanowax. It's a great product and very easy to use, but it's not going to "get rid" of any scratches you can feel with your nail. It's not even great at getting out scratches you can just see. I like it because it's a long lasting, durable wax that gives the car a great shine. I use it at the very end of the detailing process.

Like others have stated you're going to need a product that's going to "cut" in to your clear coat a little to remove the scratches. You might only need an intensive polish for this. Then follow with a less intensive polish, then glaze, then wax if you like.

Do a little research about these different products and you'll figure out what you need. Any products you get from Detailer's Domain, Griots, Zaino, ect.. will be great.

WOLFN8TR
09-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I taking it to my buddy's auto detailing business next week and see what he can do. I agree it's probably gonna need some deep buffing to do it right.

static667
09-09-2011, 01:02 PM
My car's finish is in rough shape. There are so many scratches and a lot of them go beyong the clear coat. I was going to pick up a bunch of paint correction products, but my radio died and replacing it consumed the money I was going to spend. Even with all of my paint blemishes, I still park way away from everyone. I've still noticed quite a few new dings popping up over the summer. It infuriates me to no end. When will people get some respect for other peoples property?

Sent from my rooted Fascinate using Tapatalk.

WOLFN8TR
09-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I Feel Your Pain...:facepalm

How do you get your signature photo so big?

Marcus-SanDiego
09-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Gary, host your picture at Photobucket.com or similar. Size it for no bigger than 800x250. Go to your signature (in your settings) and add the picture. Voila! There you go.

WOLFN8TR
09-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Cool, Thanks!

WOLFN8TR
09-14-2011, 05:09 PM
I decided to give Quixx a try and it worked pretty good. It took out 80% of the scratches! Easy to use and only cost $12 from Amazon.

NOTICE THE BMW ON THE BOX
Made in Germany also so how could I go wrong...:cheers

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee438/WOLFN8TR/BMW/IMG_6702.jpg

danewilson77
09-14-2011, 05:37 PM
These were scratches in the clear?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

WOLFN8TR
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes I got lucky. You could kinda feel them with your fingernail. The kit came with really fine sand paper but I didn't use it on the BMW. I did try it on my truck first in a less noticeable area that had some deep scratches. I used the sand paper on them and it took about 60% of them out. Overall I'm pretty impressed for the cost.

webster
09-15-2011, 03:44 PM
thanks for the review! and good to hear most of the scratches are gone

Hermes
09-15-2011, 08:25 PM
ok, now I'm pissed...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/ZHP%20Photos/IMG_1325.jpg
just posted the larger version of this photo to the ZHP sighting thread and noticed a weird shadow in the rear quarterpanel so I went to the garage and guess what? A body crease and some faint scratches. Guessing somebody got too close and got me. Kinda mad but I can polish the scratches out and I think PDR will fix the crease.

Not so easy to take a picture of something that's barely visible when you're looking at the car, had to get the reflection from the lights just right so you can see it.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/ZHP%20Photos/P1000426.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
09-15-2011, 10:51 PM
That sucks. I can really see it in picture one.

WOLFN8TR
09-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Dude that blows! Believe me I feel your pain. I just polished all my scratches out just a few days ago. But driving to work yesterday morning going thru a construction zone on the 15 I got stuck behind a dump loader. He was dropping soo much gravel on the highway it was like it was raining BB's! My car got sprayed with rocks! No where to go, just slowed down and tried to avoid the bigger ones bouncing all over. Got home and now I have 3 big rock chips in the center of my hood! I give up...

Hey Hermes...
Have you seen or heard of the dent repair where you heat it up with a hair dryer then use a can of air turn upside down to cool it real quick and it pops out? There are videos of it on YouTube. It might work or call a dent guy. I have used them before and they do excellent work.
Good Luck and sorry about your car. I would LOVE to catch someone doing that!

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 05:40 AM
That sux.....but looks like the perfect candidate for the blow dryer, then computer cleaner repair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVWPzO_swY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTARm_Wze3M&feature=related

WOLFN8TR
09-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTARm_Wze3M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The key is heat it up using a hair dryer, then spray around the perimeter of the dent using a can of compressed air upside down.

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTARm_Wze3M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The key is heat it up using a hair dryer, then spray around the perimeter of the dent using a can of compressed air upside down.

O Rly?

WOLFN8TR
09-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Really...

It does work but not on all dents, depends if they are creased or not and the size.
I tried this on my 4Runner a few years ago. The rear bumper was pushed in pretty bad and this method worked pretty good but it was a plastic bumper.

jreyes19
09-16-2011, 06:26 AM
wow that is interesting
hmmmm i think i have both of those somewhere in my house lol

i may go on a dent curing rampage (not my car, but others just as a test :) )

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 06:28 AM
He can try fella's. He has nothing to lose....and it doesn't look creased to me.

Hermes
09-16-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm gonna try that fix but it's overcast today so not gonna happen yet.

DW - it's hard to see in pictures but when you're actually looking at it there's a definite line where the other car pushed across the qp

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna try that fix but it's overcast today so not gonna happen yet.

DW - it's hard to see in pictures but when you're actually looking at it there's a definite line where the other car pushed across the qp

OK...so you're saying there's a crease and we may be SOL?

Hermes
09-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Here, just took a pic from different angle. Do you see the appx 4 inch long weird reflection. That's the line...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/92515030.jpg

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I need to feeeeeeeeeeeel it with my hand. Hehe,,if it's creased, it's creased.

WOLFN8TR
09-18-2011, 06:19 PM
It must be trash your BMW month. After the scratched hood from some ladies purse, getting rocked on the freeway the other day, I got stuck in a dam HAIL Storm on friday!!! Unbelievable....