PDA

View Full Version : Want to match roof rack to shadowline trim. Paint suggestions?

sea6speed
08-20-2011, 10:59 PM
I have the OEM roof rack and I'd like to give it a blackout treatment. I tried plastidip in flat black but it A) isn't a good match to the trim and B) didn't hold up very long.

I'd like to paint the rack and carriers in a color close to stock shadowline, but it doesn't have to be an exact match. Has anyone found a good off the shelf paint for matching? Alternately, I'd use OEM paint in a spray can but haven't seen this for sale.

Tips?

lilcdkey
08-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Why don't you wrap it in gloss black vinyl? Other wise you can try rustoleum gloss black spray paint. Thats what I used for my lower grill.

danewilson77
08-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Why don't you wrap it in gloss black vinyl? Other wise you can try rustoleum gloss black spray paint. Thats what I used for my lower grill.

How did you wrap lower grill?

kayger12
08-21-2011, 09:54 AM
How did you wrap lower grill?

I think he meant he sprayed the lower grill.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

bullfrogs_M3
08-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Vinyl wrap will be the best way to go. Otherwise, you have options like: http://originalwraps.com/

sea6speed
08-21-2011, 11:54 AM
As for the wrap, I'd likely run into the same problem as with plastidip. Sliding the carriers on and off can tear the coating. Also, the surfaces aren't flat. They have little grooves and chanels everywhere. If someone has done this, I'd like to know how it's holding up.

danewilson77
08-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Wrapping the roof rack won't work.