PDA

View Full Version : *** Remember: CHECK YOUR ENGINE OIL LEVEL!! ***

Rovert
08-18-2011, 09:01 AM
I always depended on the amber/yellow oil light to come on when I was 1 litre/quart lower than optimal. It has worked for me for tens of thousands of miles and reminded me to top up when my engine tried to be a hybrid to burn both fuel and oil. I noticed driving with concrete barriers on the shoulder a slight ticking sound like a lifter sound from various other engines. I knew it wasn't like that before then I remembered earlier I was marveling about my new oil change thousands of miles ago about not having to top up every 1,000 miles as I did before since the low oil indicator light never turned on. The car was completely smooth and driving nicely this morning. The silky inline 6 purring and revving freely as a BMW engine should.

So today I decided to check the dipstick after giving her a good detail. I pulled the dipstick out to see it dry. :blink Poooor ZHP...I apologized to her and started to feed oil down her thirsty throat. When the level got to optimum at the top of the highest notch, she drank 3L/quarts of oil. :crying

So remember to check your oil because the oil light may retire at any moment. My car is happy now and is enjoying a 6800 rev without any added friction. Time to change her oil early because of this. I'm glad I have a magnetic drain plug to catch any foreign metallic material.

SoarinZHP
08-18-2011, 09:03 AM
YIKES! Thanks for the 411.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Trev.

danewilson77
08-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Werd Trev.

johnrando
08-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Whew! How many miles on your car?

echo46
08-18-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm calling wifey right now from work and instructing her how to check my oil. I can't even wait to get home.

Rovert
08-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Whew! How many miles on your car?

Just over 141,000 miles!

I'm calling wifey right now from work and instructing her how to check my oil. I can't even wait to get home.

LOL...I didn't mean to cause any relationship stresses because of this post. LOL

Ryans323i
08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Wow. Luckily nothing seems to be amiss from this. Thanks for the reminder Trevor!

llll1l1ll
08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Strangely enough, I had the oil changed at a reputable shop and with the required amount of oil, the dipstick reads just below the last bottom line. I'll add a half quart and it should be okay. It's just strange!

Anyway, yeah I always check the oil before any trip longer than one hour as well as biweekly. Owning an E30 will do this to you.

cakM3
08-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah, thanks for the reminder Trev! :thumbsup

webster
08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
my zhp is getting an oil and brake fluid change as we speak (er, type) :)

danewilson77
08-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Mine checked out sat. Good for another 5k miles.

nike001
08-18-2011, 01:39 PM
I'll probably change my oil level indicator my next oil change. I just haven't gotten around to doing that yet :\ too busy w/ other stuff for her

Rovert
08-18-2011, 01:40 PM
^ Is it easy to DIY?

nike001
08-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I 'think' theres a cover that you have to remove (im not sure)..but its right by the drain plug. Takes probably 2 minutes if you have the car in the air

Edit: heres the DIY:
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diy_oil_level_sensor.htm

danewilson77
08-18-2011, 01:57 PM
I believe you have to remove lower re-enforcement plate (7 good size bolts) to access sensor.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

quikryptonite
08-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Any other endorsements for the magnetic drain plug? I've always skipped that, looks like it's time to pony up the $35.

quikryptonite
08-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Anyway, yeah I always check the oil before any trip longer than one hour as well as biweekly. Owning an E30 will do this to you.

danewilson77
08-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Any other endorsements for the magnetic drain plug? I've always skipped that, looks like it's time to pony up the $35.

It makes sense.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Rovert
08-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Every oil change I wipe the end of the drain plug and there's just a tad of debris stuck on it as really fine powder like metal. I think it's very insignificant to the movement of the engine parts because it's so little. But it's nice to know that it's trapping some of it.

Stu
08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I thought I had this problem, too. I still check the dipstick every once-in-a-while just to make sure. I could've sworn a few times my dipstick was very low, but I put it in a few more times (that's what she said) and it was around the middle mark for about 3-4 samples. I'll keep checking it during each fill-up to make sure my oil level indicator is still working.

billschusteriv
08-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I always depended on the amber/yellow oil light to come on when I was 1 litre/quart lower than optimal. It has worked for me for tens of thousands of miles and reminded me to top up when my engine tried to be a hybrid to burn both fuel and oil. I noticed driving with concrete barriers on the shoulder a slight ticking sound like a lifter sound from various other engines. I knew it wasn't like that before then I remembered earlier I was marveling about my new oil change thousands of miles ago about not having to top up every 1,000 miles as I did before since the low oil indicator light never turned on. The car was completely smooth and driving nicely this morning. The silky inline 6 purring and revving freely as a BMW engine should.

So today I decided to check the dipstick after giving her a good detail. I pulled the dipstick out to see it dry. :blink Poooor ZHP...I apologized to her and started to feed oil down her thirsty throat. When the level got to optimum at the top of the highest notch, she drank 3L/quarts of oil. :crying

So remember to check your oil because the oil light may retire at any moment. My car is happy now and is enjoying a 6800 rev without any added friction. Time to change her oil early because of this. I'm glad I have a magnetic drain plug to catch any foreign metallic material.

Good reminder to check things when it seems out of the ordinary. I just had the little yellow oil light come on the other day. I'm also doing about a quart every 1,000 miles - with lots of commuting and slightly 'spirited' driving.

Strangely enough, I had the oil changed at a reputable shop and with the required amount of oil, the dipstick reads just below the last bottom line. I'll add a half quart and it should be okay. It's just strange!

Ain't that the truth! :wave

quikryptonite
08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
It makes sense.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Here is the answer:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/Magnetic_Drain/ES251840/

BavAuto is a rip off on this item. Looks like this little gem will be in my next bag of goodies from ECS.

T.Bird
08-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Here is the answer:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/Magnetic_Drain/ES251840/

BavAuto is a rip of on this item. Looks like this little gem will be in my next bag of goodies from ECS.

Thanks! I'm going to pick this up with my next order.