PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the M3 LSD swap?

Audi 0000
08-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I am going to drop my subframe soon to weld in the floor reinforcements. I want this done before I do any track days. I was thinking since I will be dropping the rear, it may be a good time to go LSD. It seems that the M3 swap may be the most cost efficient way for me. I searched here, E46 Fanatics, and found lots of info, but parts list vary from thread to thread. I saw somewhere that all i need with a ZHP is the diff, subframe, and halfshafts. I have a buddy at a local salvage yard, and could get a hook up. I just need to know what to get. I would like to keep as much of my car as I can. Thanks!!!

Hornung418
08-11-2011, 04:51 PM
You need everything.

Audi 0000
08-11-2011, 05:23 PM
You need everything.
Some said you dont need the brakes, control arms, hubs, center driveshaft (if your already 6 spd), ect. If thats the case I would only need the diff, subframe, and half shafts. I was hoping to be under a grand... But if I need it all, guess I'll get it all. This is why I was asking some threads said yes and some no.

This is a copy paste swap thread from e46fan---------

So, I finally went ahead and finished the swap this time, after 2 attempts. I had to stop due to lack of time. But now the job is done. I'll add pictures and more details at a later date, but I just wanted to post here that you CAN use the non-m brakes, trailing arms, control arms, and hubs. The axles are a bit of a tight fit in the hub, but there is ample clearance. The non-m rear sway bar will not fit as it hits the differential. The only major fitment issue is the rear wheel speed sensors. The abs rings on the non-m axles are smaller than those on the M3. Thise means the non-m sensors are longer and will not fit with the m3 axles in place. As a temporary solution, I spaced them out. As money and time allow, I will order a set of M3 sensors and test fit them to make sure the difference is only in the sensor and not the trailing arm mount.

Parts list (minimum required for the swap)
M3 Subframe
M3 Differential
M3 Sway Bar
M3 Driveshaft (6sp cars only)
M3 Halfshafts
M3 or other acceptable rear abs sensors

As for performance... well, it's quite an improvement coming from my 3.38 open diff.

Hornung418
08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Give Eli (mimalmo) a PM he's working on this swap. And Len, (can't remember username) has completed the swap on his ZHP. They will be able to help the most. But Blocked Out, on e46F.com always has M3 parts for sale in Canada (Toronto if I remember correctly), if you're willing to make the drive as shipping will be super expensive.

Audi 0000
08-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks. I will see if they respond. I am not trying to drive that far LOL. My buddy can help me out at large salvage yard in MD. Even on Ebay the parts shipped arent that bad. I am trying to save money to put towards other mods. I appreciate your response. Your in WV, do you ever hit up Summit Point or VIR? I have been going there for years, I just havent ever owned a BMW, so the questions are many. Ttyl.

danewilson77
08-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I thought bcleaver or one of the other track rats did this recently?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
08-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks. I will see if they respond. I am not trying to drive that far LOL. My buddy can help me out at large salvage yard in MD. Even on Ebay the parts shipped arent that bad. I am trying to save money to put towards other mods. I appreciate your response. Your in WV, do you ever hit up Summit Point or VIR? I have been going there for years, I just havent ever owned a BMW, so the questions are many. Ttyl.
My home is in Bel Air, MD. I'm in Morgantown, WV for school...So I don't get out much. I'm still trying to get my car in tip-top shape before I flog her responsibly ;)

I have been very interested in this mod since the possession of my car. I want a 20lb single mass flywheel, ZHP transmission and 3.62 LSD final drive. The M3 offsets will allow for a much wider wheel/ super lip to be run instead of the ET45 with the current rear subframe. So if your hook up has some leads for one more I'd like to know ;)

I thought bcleaver or one of the other track rats did this recently?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
Dane, The Beaver kept his 3.07 final drive, and had it rebuilt with an LSD.

danewilson77
08-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Dane, The Beaver kept his 3.07 final drive, and had it rebuilt with an LSD.

Ahhh....thanks.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Audi 0000
08-11-2011, 07:05 PM
My home is in Bel Air, MD. I'm in Morgantown, WV for school...So I don't get out much. I'm still trying to get my car in tip-top shape before I flog her responsibly ;)

Oh yeah, I remember talking with you before. Most of my family is in Bel Air, I am from there also. Cool deal. If I can get the parts worked out I am sure I could help you aquire what you need. I have gotten alot of parts from there before and I have always been pleased. If you ever need anything done when your in MD, let me know. I work at a dealer and can help you out with whatever.
:thumbup

Hornung418
08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah, I remember talking with you before. Most of my family is in Bel Air, I am from there also. Cool deal. If I can get the parts worked out I am sure I could help you aquire what you need. I have gotten alot of parts from there before and I have always been pleased. If you ever need anything done when your in MD, let me know. I work at a dealer and can help you out with whatever.
:thumbup
Thanks for the nod, my friend. I'll keep you in mind when my 'clunk' becomes unbearable...not that it isn't already :shifty

nike001
08-11-2011, 07:09 PM
SC PA? There are too many Silver Gray ZHP's in PA...

Audi 0000
08-11-2011, 07:15 PM
SC PA? There are too many Silver Gray ZHP's in PA...
I dig the color alot, so the more the merrier. :cheers

mimalmo
08-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Subframe, reinforcement bracket, diff, axles, driveshaft from a manual trans M3 ( the SMG one wont work).

I've got the subframe, diff and one axle right now. Need to buy another axle, the support bracket and a driveshaft. I should have gotten it done this summer but I've been putting it off because I'm considering doing something else with my car. The parts are for sale for the right price.

bullfrogs_M3
08-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Subframe, reinforcement bracket, diff, axles, driveshaft from a manual trans M3 ( the SMG one wont work).

This right here is what you need. I am sourcing all the parts now for mine. Have it all except the left and right half shafts and main driveshaft. Should be a fun fall project

Hornung418
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I just need monies first...Or a wrecked M3...Saw enough douche bag M3 owners on I-95 this past week, that it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up in the salvage yard, which I would gladly take the rear end from ;)

mimalmo
08-11-2011, 08:13 PM
This right here is what you need. I am sourcing all the parts now for mine. Have it all except the left and right half shafts and main driveshaft. Should be a fun fall project

Axles are fairly cheap and a used driveshaft can be had for about $200 or so.

So yeah, you're pretty close.

Audi 0000
08-12-2011, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will start the parts search.

Mimalmo what are you planning with your car? It sounds like you almost have every thing you need for the swap.

billschusteriv
08-12-2011, 04:25 AM

Not looking to mooch on your hookup... but interested in walking around the salvage yard.

Are they a pick-n-pull?

Do they have e30 or non-M e46 stuffs?

Audi 0000
08-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Not looking to mooch on your hookup... but interested in walking around the salvage yard.

Are they a pick-n-pull?

Its actually right down the street from you, but I dont think its open to walk, I'll message you.

mimalmo
08-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will start the parts search.

Mimalmo what are you planning with your car? It sounds like you almost have every thing you need for the swap.

Yeah, I might still do it. We'll see...

az3579
08-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Eli,
What would you consider the right price? Could you please PM me with a #?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mimalmo
08-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Eli,
What would you consider the right price? Could you please PM me with a #?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I could but, I'll be honest and say that shipping would make it unattractive to you as it's rather heavy. Still want a number?

az3579
08-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I could but, I'll be honest and say that shipping would make it unattractive to you as it's rather heavy. Still want a number?

Yes. I would considering driving out to you to pick it up, depending on how much shipping is.

bullfrogs_M3
08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
I think this "Diff Swap" project should also have some info about the two ways to go about doing a rear end swap. (all parts listed are from an E46 M3, not a 330i unless specified). Additional info can be found here:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613741
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800207

Driveshaft (Must have a manual transmission in your 3 series for this to work, otherwise, you will have to custom cut/build an M3 driveshaft)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=26_0200&hg=26&fg=05

Complete Diff
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=33_1065&hg=33&fg=05

Diff/Rear Axle Carrier
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=33_1076&hg=33&fg=30

Left and Right Output Shafts (commonly known/referred to as Half-Shafts)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=33_1189&hg=33&fg=25

Rear Swaybar:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=33_1080&hg=33&fg=45

Option 1:
This option will allow you to keep your rear offsets the same as they are now. Meaning, you keep your rear wheel hubs but change the following
Driveshaft
Diff
Diff/Rear Axle Carrier
Output Shafts
Rear Swaybar
That should be all you would need. With the exception of any bushings that you want to replace on a used Diff Carrier. This is the option I am putting together right now so that my offsets on my rear won't change. Also, I don't know if i will be able to reuse my UUC rear sway with this setup. Hopefully I can.

Option 2:
This option also changes the rear hubs and shaft/bearings to the M3 rear end ones.
Driveshaft
Diff
Diff/Rear Axle Carrier
Output Shafts
Rear Swaybar
** Additional **
Side Shaft Wheel Bearings from M3
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=33_0838&hg=33&fg=40

Brake Components:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=34_1013&hg=34&fg=10

Brake Rotors:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=34_1014&hg=34&fg=12

*NOTE: Others that have done this swap, please confirm or deny what I am stating here. This is simply from all the reading online that I have been doing

mimalmo
08-12-2011, 12:49 PM
IIRC, from my research the M3 rear swaybar isn't needed.

mimalmo
08-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Yes. I would considering driving out to you to pick it up, depending on how much shipping is.

PM sent.

06ZhP
08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
subbed!

sna77
08-13-2011, 02:42 PM
www.diffsonline.com

They build LSD's from OEM parts for our cars. You can pick any ratio. I went with a 3.73 LSD

mimalmo
08-13-2011, 03:14 PM
diffsonline is nice but they need to get the costs way down if they want to compete with E46 M3 driveline swaps.