PDA

View Full Version : Thunder In Paradise

midlandtech
07-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Amigos and Amigetes I have a problem... whilst visiting friends this weekend my car started something that is puzzling me. At a complete stop and in neutral (like sitting at a light) there is a loud deep rattle coming comming behind the engine slightly under the car. My first thoughts were exhaust pipes shaking as if they had cam loose off a mount however the pipes are not moving. when i engage the clutch the rattle goes away also if I give the car any throttle the rattle goes away. My buddy thats the shop forman up here in KC was also in town for the same reasons as myself and I had him look at it he said that while he had never heard it before it seemed like the fly wheel had come 'loos' (my term not his) and was slightly engageding the clutch causing the shaking... anyone on here have any other ideas or words of wisdom?

Steve

SoarinZHP
07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
If the clutch is let out and you apply light pressure to the gear selector like you're putting it in a gear, does it stop?

midlandtech
07-31-2011, 06:10 PM
very slight decrease in sound but not much

SoarinZHP
07-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Odd. Does it shift weird? On my previous BMW, I had a stage 2 lightweight flywheel installed. The gears chattered like crazy when the a/c was running. WHen I had it installed, I thought they broke the car. When accelerating and engaging the clutch, the chatter went away... Is the transmission leaking or anything? Some have cured a rattle problem by changing weights of the transmission fluid. I dunno...

Here's a link to an article about transmission chatter from UUC:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

Hopefully this will help!

midlandtech
07-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Tranny doesnt leak and the car accelerates just as strong as ever I am hoping its just the flywheel and clutch as neither has been replaced (although I have been told that Flywheels dont get replaced often) and the car has 84K on it. with any luck I can get the car up in the air and take a look soon but more than likely its gonna be saturday at the earliest before i can take a look just wondering if i should be looking somewhere else too

mimalmo
07-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Flywheel noise from the lightweight flywheel or your throwout bearing is starting to go.

az3579
08-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Flywheel noise from the lightweight flywheel or your throwout bearing is starting to go.

Money's on a lightweight flywheel.
My old car chattered like frickin' crazy because of its lightweight flywheel. Sound went away when moving in gear or when clutch pedal pressed in (disengaged).

SoarinZHP
08-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Throwout bearing... I second the motion...

On the lightweight flywheel - It was fun drive, but engage smoothly was a PITA and the chatter from the gear lash was driving me insane. Rev matching was soooo easy....

TRELO
08-01-2011, 09:43 AM
throwout bearing +1000

midlandtech
08-01-2011, 03:33 PM
throwout bearing +1000

It's lookin like 1000 for clutch and assembly and the fly wheel (thats dealer cost that my friend gets from bmw...) that sound about right?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)