PDA

View Full Version : A Bit of Bad News

MsRN
07-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Don't worry too much...I am alive and writing this!

It's been a rough month for my little family. First, I went and got a two-plus-week migraine. Result: lots of missed work, FMLA paperwork, and bruises to both forearms from blown IV sticks. Happily, THAT migraine finally broke, and I think the one I got tonight is manageable. :)

Second--my teacher spouse got a blood test at my suggestion, followed by an MRI, which confirmed a benign, very-treatable brain tumor. HMO is covering 90+% of med costs, and the tumor is very unlikely (<5%) to have any deleterious effects vis Ã* vis my spouses health or longevity. So far, so good...

Wednesday afternoon I put on two new Meyle HD front sway bar links, cleaned and waxed my two front wheels, preparatory to putting on new pads and rotors. Thursday, my daughter Ami and I went out to get gas for Ms. ZHP, followed by a trip to the stealership for plastic parts, and thence to the post office to mail out an oil sample. We never got to the gas station.

It had just rained, and I slowed and downshifted to 3rd to take a 'roundabout' (is that the right term for those circular speed control things?). We were well-below the posted 35mph limit, and I'd driven the route countless times before. As I turned the steering wheel left to take the turn, the wheels broke loose without warning, and we slid towards the outer curb. I countersteered, applied a little gas, and we just 'kissed' the curb with the right front wheel, then shot towards the median. My second countersteer was unsuccessful, and the median lacked a curb, so we dropped two or three feet into rocks. That's when my left door airbag and head curtain activated...

The upshot? One upset but unscathed three-and-a-half-year-old, sobbing because my car is broken; one sore and bruised parent (airbags burn when they hit you hard); one TiAg ZHP with three broken rims, a flat tire, a trashed M-Tech II trim package, a broken pulley, a slightly-bent skid plate, two wheels WAY out of camber, and NO visible sheet metal damage anywhere (I checked).

No estimate today...Monday I should know if the car is totaled or salvageable. About 90% of the damage appears to be suspension, and 10% cosmetic. I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed.

Ultimately, I'm just grateful my daughter and I escaped harm. I'll be even happier if the car is repaired to 100%, and happier still if our insurer doesn't drop us!

Sorry, Terry-I really DID like the wheels!

mimalmo
07-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Bummer. Glad everyone's OK though. Hang in there with the health issues.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Michele, glad to hear you and yours were not injured.

Good to hear that your husband has what is believed to only be a benign tumor.

And thankful that your migraine broke.

Take care of yourself, sweetie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E46 Enthusiast
07-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Wow, that sounds like youve been going through some awful things. Ill keep you guys in my prayers. Hope your E46 is okay.

Johnmadd
07-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Bad times, sorry for the migraines.

static667
07-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Sounds like you have had a rough run here lately. I'm glad to hear that everyone is in good health and sorry to hear about the car. The car is replaceable, your loved ones are not.

Hornung418
07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
:crying

What a rough patch of weather you're passing through. Hope the storm breaks and you are able to gather your essentials and continue sailing forward. Glad the kiddo is safe, your husband is going to be better and your migraines dissipate quickly. Your family is in my thoughts, tonight.

Take care.

BlackNTan
07-30-2011, 04:03 AM
I think you're all done for bad things happening. Bad things come in 3 and I count 3. I trust August will be a lot better.

Oli77
07-30-2011, 04:46 AM
Good luck with all, but most importantly your husband because as we know, the car is not special and Ami has probably moved on to other fun things already.

kpro
07-30-2011, 04:54 AM
Michele, sorry to hear about your crap run of luck as of lately. I hope the spouse takes in all the news with an open mind and positive attitude, that really helps when things suck. The bimmer: wishing for you, that your car isn't considered a total loss and that you have an easy time dealing with the insurance co. on the matter. Suspension can add up, but not near as quickly as sheet metal damage, you might be ok... Good thing it wasn't worse and Ami is just fine. You have your head up and looking forward, thats the important thing. Hang in there lady :)

Ryans323i
07-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Words cannot express my sympathies.

First, it's so good to hear from you. Forum ladies are few and I consider us a brethren of sorts :), and I worry when I don't see one for awhile.

Second, I can not imagine a TWO week migraine. That takes a toll the body, the mind, and your supportive family. Glad to hear all made it through. Then, to be hit with your spouse's health issue, ugh. Tumor is such a scary word, but I'm glad to hear things should go smoothly.

And now the car, geeze girlie! I know words like "at least you and Ami are ok" and "it's just a car" doesn't really make anyone feel better, but it's all I can think to say and I truly mean every word. Although us gearheads often think of our cars as part of the family, when an event like this happens it's good to hold our breathing loved ones and be thankful for their safety. If I was there, I'd hug you both!

So my heart is with you sweetie. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you better days and better health. xoxoxo

Johal E32
07-30-2011, 08:04 AM
I;m sorry to hear this. bummer. I hope it works out well for you

echo46
07-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Thank god nobody was hurt. Sorry to hear about the zhp, hopefully fixable. You, your family and your zhp are in my prayers

johnrando
08-01-2011, 06:48 AM
It's tough to find the right words to type as that is a lot to go through. We certainly feel for you having to go through all this, especially at once. Prayers and good thoughts heading your way, and very happy to hear that no one was hurt, and your husband's condition is treatable. I'm sure it's not easy to go through even knowing that. Like you, my fingers are crossed for your car, please keep us posted, and hang in there.

danewilson77
08-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Michele, so sorry to hear about all of the bad news. Seems like sometimes they come in packs of three's. Glad everyone is safe....and I am sure your husband will be fine as prognosis sounds very positive. Just know the Mafia Family is thinking of you guys.

billschusteriv
08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Michele - Sorry to hear about the bad news. I couldn't imagine having a migrane... much less one lasting that long. Keep MrRN thinking positive. Glad to hear you and Ami weren't hurt.

I couldn't say much more about the ZHP than was already so eloquently said by Ryan.

Keep us posted when you can. My family will keep you and yours in our thoughts...

MsRN
08-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts...they are truly appreciated.

I spoke today with the service tech who's writing the suspension estimate (plus radiator). His computer was down, but he estimated $7K in visible damage, NOT including body or trim work. I'm guessing the insurer will total it at about $10K, based on a blue book of $14-15K.

I'll be returning what parts I can, and selling the rest, so if anyone needs ZHP wheels, a full-size spare, a set of winter wheels, or front and rear performance rotors, OR Stoptech stainless brake lines, let me know.
(I'll list them sometime today).

Thanks again for all the kind words and thoughts...

Michele

johnrando
08-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts...they are truly appreciated.

I spoke today with the service tech who's writing the suspension estimate (plus radiator). His computer was down, but he estimated $7K in visible damage, NOT including body or trim work. I'm guessing the insurer will total it at about $10K, based on a blue book of $14-15K.

I'll be returning what parts I can, and selling the rest, so if anyone needs ZHP wheels, a full-size spare, a set of winter wheels, or front and rear performance rotors, OR Stoptech stainless brake lines, let me know.
(I'll list them sometime today).

Thanks again for all the kind words and thoughts...

Michele

Will be interesting to see what they decide. This might be a little too far ahead for you, but if they do total it, you thinking another ZHP or something else?

PS Selfishly hoping it's another ZHP so we don't lose you from the site.

danewilson77
08-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Even if she didn't get a BMW....doesn't mean we would lose her. Once family, always family.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

tripod06
08-01-2011, 11:21 AM
sorry to hear this but the most important thing is that you are okay.

i believe that no matter what car is next invested into, they will always be welcome here as family.

static667
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Even if she didn't get a BMW....doesn't mean we would lose her. Once family, always family.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

+1

az3579
08-02-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm VERY interested in the stoptech lines... front and rear?

billschusteriv
08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Will look out for your thread Michele. Thanks for keeping us posted.

SC4ME
08-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Michele, that is one awful stretch of bad luck. But everything tends to balance out so good karma coming your way.

lilcdkey
08-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Glad everyone is safe, at the end of the day it's just a car. ZHP's aren't even special...

MsRN
08-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Michele, that is one awful stretch of bad luck. But everything tends to balance out so good karma coming your way.
In point of fact, I take most of it as good luck. Nobody died, or was seriously injured. Migraines suck, but now my spouse takes me seriously when I say that I need consistent exercise and sleep. And after today (spouse visited the endocrinologist), my spouse hopes the tumor's a prolactinoma, too (easy to treat). Perspective helps. Either that, or I'm a Pollyanna! :)

On the car front, the insurance representative assigned to my claim quoted me $7,100 for repairs, and said the car isn't totalled...and that we'll take care of any undiscovered damage as we find it. He promised to FAX me the quote (and said the check is in the mail) today, but didn't. ON THE OTHER HAND, when I called the stealership, the service writer told me he couldn't confirm that my car isn't totalled. He was kind enough to send me an invoice for $8,505.53, which didn't include the M-Tech II trim, and included $1699.15 in labor. But I will get a steering fluid flush and new radiator out of the deal! Full details to follow, as they emerge...

Marcus-SanDiego
08-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Looking forward to seeing how all of this shakes out, Michele.

Thinking happy thoughts for you on all fronts.

johnrando
08-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Looking forward to seeing how all of this shakes out, Michele.

Thinking happy thoughts for you on all fronts.

+1000

MsRN
08-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Many thanks Marcus, John!

The billed damages include replacing rack and pinion ($1788.41), left front lower control arm ($770.94), right rear lower control arm ($378.27), front axle carrier/underbody panels/stiffening plate ($1709.65), radiator and fan shroud ($830.49), and four wheels and new tires ($3027.77). Not yet included in the bill are the DS door airbag, DS head curtain, replacement trim for the A pillar, DS safety belt, or the M-Tech II trim package (yes, I trashed ALL of it!). If the front swaybar, struts, and swaybar links are still in good shape, I'll be amazed, but pleased. Also, I believe the service writer told me two of the tires were still good--I'm assuming those are the new Pilot Supersports I put on recently, but if not, I should check the Road Hazard warranty I put on them at time of purchase. That would save my insurer $400-$500. Since Oz Superleggeras are no longer available, I'm debating Oz Ultraleggeras (pretty) versus Allegerita HLTs (strong) versus Enkei Racing PF01s (pretty and reputedly strong); whatever goes on will receive a few coats of Wheel Wax prior to their inaugural drive. Since the radiator is being replaced, I should probably have them put in a new expansion tank, fan and fan clutch (about $500); I already have new upper and lower hoses, drain plug, OE thermostat and Stewart water pump, so in those will go, too. New pulleys are a must. And, since the 'lifetime' ATF change is overdue, now seems the appropriate time to have it serviced (another $500).

Tack on $500 for deductible, and $126 for the traffic citation, and this might just be a bit expensive...but WAAAAAY better than replacing the whole car!

billschusteriv
08-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Glad to hear the update Michele. Looking forward to more updates.

Sounds like everyone is in good spirits...

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

danewilson77
08-05-2011, 03:30 AM
Many thanks Marcus, John!

The billed damages include replacing rack and pinion ($1788.41), left front lower control arm ($770.94), right rear lower control arm ($378.27), front axle carrier/underbody panels/stiffening plate ($1709.65), radiator and fan shroud ($830.49), and four wheels and new tires ($3027.77). Not yet included in the bill are the DS door airbag, DS head curtain, replacement trim for the A pillar, DS safety belt, or the M-Tech II trim package (yes, I trashed ALL of it!). If the front swaybar, struts, and swaybar links are still in good shape, I'll be amazed, but pleased. Also, I believe the service writer told me two of the tires were still good--I'm assuming those are the new Pilot Supersports I put on recently, but if not, I should check the Road Hazard warranty I put on them at time of purchase. That would save my insurer $400-$500. Since Oz Superleggeras are no longer available, I'm debating Oz Ultraleggeras (pretty) versus Allegerita HLTs (strong) versus Enkei Racing PF01s (pretty and reputedly strong); whatever goes on will receive a few coats of Wheel Wax prior to their inaugural drive. Since the radiator is being replaced, I should probably have them put in a new expansion tank, fan and fan clutch (about $500); I already have new upper and lower hoses, drain plug, OE thermostat and Stewart water pump, so in those will go, too. New pulleys are a must. And, since the 'lifetime' ATF change is overdue, now seems the appropriate time to have it serviced (another $500).

Tack on $500 for deductible, and $126 for the traffic citation, and this might just be a bit expensive...but WAAAAAY better than replacing the whole car!

I recommend DIY.

billschusteriv
08-05-2011, 04:11 AM
I recommend DIY.

I was also wondering if DIY was an option for you, Michele.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

midlandtech
08-05-2011, 06:28 AM
damn that sucks alot atleast you got all the bad stuff out the way and made plenty of room for good... if you may be selling winter wheels and tires I am game....

MsRN
08-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Much of this does seem DIY, but I run the risk of missing damage that a trained technician would catch. I'm not a trained mechanic; I'm learning this as I go.

johnrando
08-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Good to hear you're going to be able to save the car. Lots of work to be done but sounds doable. Thanks for the update.

Jon D
08-05-2011, 07:29 AM
also glad to hear it's going to work out.. with that much damage letting the pros be on the hook is a good plan. they are generally not shy about fixing anything that could come back on them.

MsRN
08-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Okay...insurance rep just called...it seems we're now likely back to a total loss. I have a headache...(not really).

danewilson77
08-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Okay...insurance rep just called...it seems we're now likely back to a total loss. I have a headache...(not really).

Honestly....I think TL is best in this situation. We will find you another one Michele.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-05-2011, 08:07 AM
I also believe that total loss would be preferable. In fact, had it been me, I'd be begging for a total loss. Why? Because it would be a massive headache to deal with the sale of this car (assuming you ever tried to sell it in the future).

static667
08-05-2011, 08:20 AM
TL does sound like the better outcome. Not only will it save you the issue if you try to sell it, there is also the possibility of problems arising later down the road. Keep us updated.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate using Tapatalk.

MsRN
08-05-2011, 08:27 AM
I also believe that total loss would be preferable. In fact, had it been me, I'd be begging for a total loss. Why? Because it would be a massive headache to deal with the sale of this car (assuming you ever tried to sell it in the future).

Point taken...I just feel like a yo-yo is all.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Yeah. I totally get that. One day it's being fixed. The next day it's being totaled. Then it's fixable. Now it looks like a total loss. Just roll with it. I've been through this a few times.

Start car shopping.

kpro
08-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Sorry to hear Michele. Thinking of you!!!!

Kudos
08-05-2011, 10:12 AM
When you can part out some stuff let us know. Could i possibly get dibs on zhp shift knob if available?(unless ur keeping it for memory).

johnrando
08-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Wow, what a roller coaster. I guess a TL does make things easier in the long run, and I know we can find you a good ride in it's place. I know you'll miss the original though.

Whitexi
08-07-2011, 03:53 PM
That's a crazy crap shoot. Dealing with stuff like this sux especially when you don't have a clue as to what the insurer is doing. Hope everything gets sorted out and that your back on the road soon.

billschusteriv
08-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Point taken...I just feel like a yo-yo is all.

How are things? Updates on everything?

MsRN
08-09-2011, 07:10 AM
No news yet, Bill. I'm sitting on my hands...

More specifically, no news from the insurance company. We're probably not going to spend >$15K on my next car, though.

Migraines are intermittent; I need better control.

My spouse saw an endocrinologist: the tumor might not be a prolactinoma, in which case, neurosurgery would eventually be necessary.

johnrando
08-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Was wondering the same thing. Keep us posted! Wishing you well.

danewilson77
08-09-2011, 08:33 AM
No news yet, Bill. I'm sitting on my hands...

More specifically, no news from the insurance company. We're probably not going to spend >$15K on my next car, though.

Migraines are intermittent; I need better control.

My spouse saw an endocrinologist: the tumor might not be a prolactinoma, in which case, neurosurgery would eventually be necessary.

what about gamma knife? Is that an option. My daughter had that done to obliterate an AVM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkGFwxDsGF8

These are my daughters actual pics. That yellow AVM is gone now. It was the cause of all of her migraine headaches, as well as a culprit lying in wait, to produce a aneurism. It was only identified, after the ER doctor...seeing her for a migraine decided to do a MRI with contrast (I think). These are typically identified on the autopsy table...so she was extremely blessed.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Family/Surgery/IMG_20101004_140602.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Family/Surgery/IMG_20101004_113839.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Family/Surgery/IMG_20101004_113359.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Family/Surgery/IMG_20101004_121709-1.jpg

aurelius
08-09-2011, 08:45 AM
You might look into running the numbers on buying the car from the insurance co (assuming they do indeed "total" it) and having the crash damage repaired by an independent paint & body shop.

A friend did this recently with a Land Rover and the numbers worked out very much in her favor.

Keep the receipts from recent repairs, etc. It will help in terms of lobbying for a higher insurance payout but you'll obviously have to be very proactive about that.

PM me if you want specifics as to how she went about this. She had a lawyer guide her thru it.

MsRN
08-12-2011, 06:56 PM
My insurer called today. The known damage was less than 70% of the vehicles estimated value, but close enough that any occult damage could tip it over the legal threshold, thereby mandating it be declared a total loss. So the insurer decided to be safe, and declare my ZHP a total loss. After the lien is satisfied, we will still come out about $6000.00 to the positive (this is what comes of buying a car valued at $28,000 for $17,900). So far, so good!

I've been car shopping a bit online, and have made a few polite inquiries after ZHPs and E36 M3 sedans; so far, I've received but one reply. It appears most sellers are reluctant to part with their ZHPs or Ms...one seller who's asking $6K above blue book didn't even bother to reply to my polite offer of $4K above book (I made the offer before I looked up the value)! Now, how silly is that?

In the local market, I happened on an '05 IR 330XI 6MT with 62.7K miles, sport and cold weather packages, and a full set of snows. I'm thinking to open at 10% below their asking price, as I'm sure they didn't offer more than 70% on trade-in, and the sales rep let slip that the car required almost no detailing. The dealer's supposed to email me service records on Monday, and I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed. Otherwise, my spouse would like me to try out a Mini Cooper S with low miles. And then there's a long-distance 325iT stick, a 525iT stick, and a whole lot of E39 M5s that I think I'd best stay away from... :)

Decisions, decisions...

Migraines are behaving a bit better, and my spouse is a little less freaked-out about the tumor, possible neurosurgery notwithstanding. (Dane, I think transsphenoidal tumor resection is probably considered even safer than gamma knife, but thanks for the thought, and I'm really happy for your daughter!)

Aurelius, thanks for the idea! I'll PM you about it, though I think we'll prolly take the money and run...

More news, as it happens...

danewilson77
08-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Wow. Great to hear all of the good news and can't wait to see the new whip.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
08-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Michele, glad to hear that things are looking up.

Johnmadd
08-12-2011, 07:22 PM
You might look into running the numbers on buying the car from the insurance co (assuming they do indeed "total" it) and having the crash damage repaired by an independent paint & body shop.

A friend did this recently with a Land Rover and the numbers worked out very much in her favor.

Keep the receipts from recent repairs, etc. It will help in terms of lobbying for a higher insurance payout but you'll obviously have to be very proactive about that.

PM me if you want specifics as to how she went about this. She had a lawyer guide her thru it.

^+1
At least inquire, you can really come out on top with some storage room, and if you get another e46 you wont have to buy parts ever again.

johnrando
08-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Glad to hear things are moving forward, thanks for keeping us posted. I hope those migraines get better. As for spouse, anytime you hear the word neuro-surgery it's a little scary but modern medicine is truly amazing so positive thoughts and prayers still heading your way.

As for the car, that is a tough choice. Here's hoping you land another ZHP. BTW, those Mini-Cooper S's are a blast to drive! Although, with you just recently being in an accident, those cars are kinda small, just throwing that out there in this SUV world. Good luck finding what you want!

aurelius
08-14-2011, 07:08 AM
If there's a lien on the title, unfortunately it'll end up with a salvage title if it is declared a total loss and the lender is paid off by insurance.

Sounds like someone, somewhere will end up with a nice, inexpensive daily driver out of all this. Especially considering the damage, while a little pricey at full retail dealership repair quote, really isn't all that bad.