PDA

View Full Version : Changed transmission and differential fluid

variate
07-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I changed both manual transmission and differential fluid today. I got the car last week and I wanted to have it my way regardless of what previous owner did.

I purchased two quarts of MTF and 75W-90 gear oil. I also got fluid transfer pump. To get the transmission drain and fill plug I needed 8 mm hex key. Every DIY post that I saw was showing 17 mm bolts for these two. Maybe some different productions, I don't know. It didn't look like it was replaced. To get the rear differential you need 14 mm hex. Once car is up it's easy task.

This was the first time that I put all four wheels in the air. I was a little scared but everything went well. For my record, I took a picture and here it is.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/dongpyolee/zhp/photo-3.jpg

I initially wanted to do CDV delete at the same time. But, my wife had to go out early and no one else to help me bleed so I had to stop there. I ordered BMW performance SSK so I'm planning to do it when I install SSK.

kayger12
07-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Nice work.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Alphatek45
07-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I initially wanted to do CDV delete at the same time. But, my wife had to go out early and no one else to help me bleed so I had to stop there. I ordered BMW performance SSK so I'm planning to do it when I install SSK.

I ran into the same problem

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x356/Alphatek45/2e00b01c.jpg?t=1311449867

Worked like a charm and tbh, if you pinch the line it barely needs to be bled (do it anyway) but I got straight fluid out.

static667
07-23-2011, 12:59 PM
My dad was good enough to let me use his power bleeder when I did mine. Talk about making life easy.

variate
07-23-2011, 03:42 PM
I ran into the same problem

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x356/Alphatek45/2e00b01c.jpg?t=1311449867

Worked like a charm and tbh, if you pinch the line it barely needs to be bled (do it anyway) but I got straight fluid out.

Great idea. Maybe next time. I also got a small c-clamp, so no problem there.

My dad was good enough to let me use his power bleeder when I did mine. Talk about making life easy.
I wish I had access to pressure bleeder.

I got back from a test drive up to Palomar mountain and it feels much better. I can't wait to do CDV and SSK. By the way, there was a motorcycle accident in county road S6. Be careful if you drive up there.

DeM3n
07-26-2011, 01:02 PM
So I'm guessing that when most of replace fluids you use a pressure bleeder? What's the alternative?

spencers
07-26-2011, 01:10 PM

Yeah, definitely worth it!

variate
07-27-2011, 10:03 AM
So I'm guessing that when most of replace fluids you use a pressure bleeder? What's the alternative?

Assistant who can hold the pedal while you open the valve.

danewilson77
12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Wasn't there discussion, deciding MTF was not the right tranny fluid for our cars?

brettbimmer
12-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Wasn't there discussion, deciding MTF was not the right tranny fluid for our cars?

DW, have been using Red Line MTL in the ZHP transmission for the last 37k might without issue. Also run it in the e36, and used to run it in the e30 too. IMHO, seems to shift slightly better then reg. factory fluid. But, that could just be my imagination...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

danewilson77
12-02-2011, 05:50 PM
DW, have been using Red Line MTL in the ZHP transmission for the last 37k might without issue. Also run it in the e36, and used to run it in the e30 too. IMHO, seems to shift slightly better then reg. factory fluid. But, that could just be my imagination...

Ok...thanks Brett. Thought it was said D4 ATF more closely matched oem fluid.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
12-02-2011, 06:29 PM
+1 on Redline MTL. Also, I have a Power Bleeder. Anybody local can come over and use it.

danewilson77
12-02-2011, 06:48 PM
OK....I have been using MTL as well. Just thought I remembered someone saying here, they had talked to a tech, and the tech said the D4 ATF most closely matched the oem fluid.

brettbimmer
12-02-2011, 08:14 PM
OK....I have been using MTL as well. Just thought I remembered someone saying here, they had talked to a tech, and the tech said the D4 ATF most closely matched the oem fluid.

I can't speak for that, but MTL has been good to me on the track & street. How many miles have you been running it?

Another friend swears by Royal Purple, but I have never used it. Any fans out there?

das boots
12-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I also have heard great reviews of Royal Purple. Never tried it. Have been hooked to Redline. I use Liqui Moly LS for diff. Since I have a supply of Liqui Moly.

danewilson77
12-02-2011, 08:59 PM
I can't speak for that, but MTL has been good to me on the track & street. How many miles have you been running it?

Another friend swears by Royal Purple, but I have never used it. Any fans out there?

I used RP, then swapped over to RL MTL about 37k miles ago.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
12-03-2011, 04:06 AM

Happy RP user here. Will be sticking with it.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

zhpnsnv
12-03-2011, 09:36 AM
I've swapped back and forth between MTL and stock depending on what I have at the moment. Stock is in there right now and it's about ready to go (+- 30k use).

imola red zhp
12-03-2011, 09:46 AM
heres the link to the other Diff and Tranny thread

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4097-Diff-Tranny-and-Oil-Done-next-up...&highlight=diff+tranny

danewilson77
12-03-2011, 10:18 AM
heres the link to the other Diff and Tranny thread

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4097-Diff-Tranny-and-Oil-Done-next-up...&highlight=diff+tranny

Damn. That's the thread I was looking for.

This is the exact statement I was referring to..."DW don't quite understand "when is MTL used?" but if you're referring to the MTL vs. d4atf , I just called rep. at redline, asked him same question 70w/80 MTL or the d4atf, he said both can ne used but the d4atf is recommend because supposedly its specs are the closest to OEM..."

Thanks IRZ