PDA

View Full Version : How well do we track?

DirtyPillows
07-22-2011, 10:12 AM
I was wandering how well our cars tracked?

For example if I put proper suspension kit on and proper tire etc the whole works but no real major engine mods like f/i just basic there can our cars keep up with the likes of let's say e55 amg?

Does some1 have experience with this? and I don't mean autox.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
07-22-2011, 10:14 AM
I know that Jeff tracks his ZHP. He's quite an excellent driver from what I understand. Jeff, you around?

MasterC17
07-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Our cars are quite capable on the track. With coilovers, camber plates, sway bars, some other misc. suspension work, a square tire setup with GOOD tires and you should be pretty competitive. Headers, intake, tune, and a custom better flowing (and lighter) exhaust should net you about 25-30hp. You will certainly out-handle any E55. You should be nearly as quick in a straight line as a W210 E55 although the newer generation will pull you pretty good. Regardless, you should beat the W210 on a track and be pretty even with the newer body. Mercedes-Benz's are meant more for straight-line power than handling (big and heavy). I would recommend either 17" or 18" and 8.5" or 9" in width (Look into APEX ARC-8's). A square 245 will work with stock suspension and should be fine with coilovers as well. Any bigger, you may have to roll fenders, etc. PLEASE take note our cars DO NOT like to rev over 6k RPM's. With the tune, please avoid running the RPM's higher than stock ZHP (6800). If you want higher RPM's, look into a solution for the oil pump nut and an ATI Damper - otherwise, your engine may go bye-bye. Good luck!

DirtyPillows
07-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Ty. Though I may not get as far as the car you described. The question was more for the know and you answered above and beyond what I was expecting thank you.

MasterC17
07-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Ty. Though I may not get as far as the car you described. The question was more for the know and you answered above and beyond what I was expecting thank you.

Well, to be honest you don't need everything I stated. The most important thing, in my opinion, is dedicated wheels/tires. Look into some light wheels with good tires (245/40/18 Hankook Ventus R-S3's are cheap) and you'll already be way ahead of where you started. The factory ZHP wheels are HEAVY, and with some 18lb wheels you will DEFINITELY notice a difference. Put some sticky tires on there and the car will handle pretty darn well. The other stuff I mentioned is by no means necessary, just icing on the cake. You should be able to hang with a W210 E55 with just wheels + tires on your already quick ZHP.

shadowpuck
07-22-2011, 10:45 AM
yup, all depends what you want to accomplish.

want to get your feet wet and experience the track/learn how the car handles - don't do a single thing to it.

out of the box, the cars are absolutely a good time on the track. as your skill improves, then you can start making some changes.

kpro
07-22-2011, 11:58 AM
My car is virtually stock and I was quite impressed with its ability to "hang" with the ///M3's in the turns and such at the last track day I did, and its not a ZHP, its a 325Ci. It was the first time for me in the Bimmer, but like the 42-43rd trackday overall. The only real mods I've done to this car are the bilstein/h&r spring combo...I do have Hawk HPS pads on the front and rear, and use Bridgestone RE050 RFT's. The only thing I really could pick out is that the 1-wheel drive system kinda sucks when you're lifting that corner...lol.

az3579
07-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Your ability to "hang" with any car is more up to you than your car. I used to hang with some M3's of all flavors when my E30 still had its crappy powerplant (121hp when it was new), but once the straight came, away they all went.

It's always better to invest in oneself FIRST before spending money on the car.

shadowpuck
07-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Your ability to "hang" with any car is more up to you than your car. I used to hang with some M3's of all flavors when my E30 still had its crappy powerplant (121hp when it was new), but once the straight came, away they all went.

+1!!!!!!!!!

spencers
07-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Tires, pads, and driver. The car is more than capable.

Emphasis on driver. I only list tires and pads due to being the typical wear items when tracking. Heck, you'll get plenty of life out of a normal set of pads and tires even if you track your car just a few times a year.

Same is preached in auto-x. Who cares about the mods. What you need is SEAT TIME!

Marcus-SanDiego
07-22-2011, 12:33 PM

Good advice.

danewilson77
07-22-2011, 12:41 PM

True but not reality.

Imho..people arent going to invest In themselves while driving a Nissan quest minivan. I think most will buy a car, then..after having a while will say..."maybe I wanna do some autox"....then invest in themselves. The way you describe above is ideal however.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

DirtyPillows
07-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes thank you. My main goal was to figure where do our cars stand to understand our boundaries. And I understand how the driver plays an elite role here but I guess if I wanted to be more specific. If it came down to the car alone can our cars make up lost time on the turns where, as I was using before, it lost from the amg e55 on the straights. But again thank you for response you have enlightened very much.

danewilson77
07-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Yes thank you. My main goal was to figure where do our cars stand to understand our boundaries. And I understand how the driver plays an elite role here but I guess if I wanted to be more specific. If it came down to the car alone can our cars make up lost time on the turns where, as I was using before, it lost from the amg e55 on the straights. But again thank you for response you have enlightened very much.

It can make up lost time in the corners....compared to....what?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

MasterC17
07-22-2011, 01:30 PM
It can make up lost time in the corners....compared to....what?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Basically, he's asking can a 330 ZHP and an E55 run the same lap time, as in will the 330 be able to go round the corners fast enough to make up for the time it would lose to the E55 on the straights -- if that makes any sense.

Oh, yes I forgot pads, invest in a good set of pads!

M0nk3y
07-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Driver first before mods.

Run with what you have...then mod the car to what you want. Giving your car better tires, suspension...etc will yield nothing if you don't have a good line

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

danewilson77
07-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Basically, he's asking can a 330 ZHP and an E55 run the same lap time, as in will the 330 be able to go round the corners fast enough to make up for the time it would lose to the E55 on the straights -- if that makes any sense.

Oh, yes I forgot pads, invest in a good set of pads!

Got it. He is talking specifically about e55. Sorry DP....I was reading that post in the sun and missed that.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

static667
07-22-2011, 02:42 PM
You always want to tighten the nut behind the wheel first. I want to attend some driving schools really bad, but there is nothing ever close to here.

Rockin' Tapatalk on my rooted Fascinate.

M0nk3y
07-22-2011, 03:07 PM
No evo schools?

static667
07-22-2011, 05:02 PM
No evo schools?

Evo school is what?

MasterC17
07-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Evo school is what?

http://www.evoschool.com/

Sockethead
07-22-2011, 08:12 PM
I did my first track day ever at Beaver Run several weeks ago. You can see the mods I have in my signature. I definitely agree it's the driver first.That being said I was very impressed with the way the car handled. On the back stretch, which has two turns on it, I was able to go flat out through both turns. One of the instructors said that the the 3 series in general is a great car for beginners because it is very forgiving and with lesser cars, I would of been off the track with some of the mistakes I made.... Yikes! When I got into a good rhythm and made my turn ins at the right time, the car was very fluid.

As Kristen said, the biggest problem was through turn 10 where the car doesn't have enough low end to pull 3rd gear and when in 2nd, the inside rear tire lifts enough to lose traction. Some additional suspension work would help but the car really needs LSD.
I was able to hang with the M3 for a bit but he steadily increased his lead on subsequent laps. Also there was one of those high HP Cadillacs there that I could easily get around as well as a new Challenger. I'm sure that the handling of the ZHP had a lot to do with passing those guys. Especially since it was my first day...:biggrin

static667
07-22-2011, 08:23 PM
http://www.evoschool.com/

Ok. That comes nowhere near me either.

MasterC17
07-23-2011, 04:58 AM
Ok. That comes nowhere near me either.

What about this?

http://www.tarheelbmwcca.org/calendar.htm

shadowpuck
07-23-2011, 05:12 AM
if your location is correct - you have the great bounty of being within the Tarheel chapter for BMW CCA. They put on some of the BEST driving schools in the country.

static667
07-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I want to go to the school they have in September/October at VIR. It comes down to having both the time and money. And having my car in full working order with a valid tech inspection.