PDA

View Full Version : Where should I mount this switch?

Whitexi
07-16-2011, 06:17 PM
This is for my OEM HID fog lights I got. BMW says to cut a hole to the right of the headlight switch and mount it in the trim/ dash. I Was thinking no and may mount it in the ash tray. I thought I would ask.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/whitexi/1160999225_photobucket_51944_.jpg

danewilson77
07-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Just cut the trim piece and mount it in dash.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Whitexi
07-16-2011, 06:29 PM
I just wonder how hard the dash is to cut, thickness wise. Im a chicken lol

danewilson77
07-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Does it go in dash or trim. Maybe there is a precut hole behind from piece?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Alphatek45
07-16-2011, 06:34 PM

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

This. If it's oem shouldn't there be a specific spot? Potentially "scored" already?

thesixsins
07-16-2011, 06:38 PM
More info on the OEM hid fog kit please!

I vote ash tray if you can make it look stock.

Whitexi
07-16-2011, 07:01 PM

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

There isn't one I thought the same but its not pre cut when I took off the trim. At least not one where I can see any out lay for a " cut here " line. Its the kit I got from ECS

Here is a PDF on what needs to be done.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bimmerfest.com%2Fforums%2Fatt achment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D25156%26d%3D107472466 5&rct=j&q=%20bmw%2001%2029%200%20152%20919&ei=8k8iTvqaGYrk0QH9w_SqAw&usg=AFQjCNGEHU4O9wVjOnWdbzDAviWJyp_03w

Whitexi
07-16-2011, 07:04 PM
More info on the OEM hid fog kit please!

I vote ash tray if you can make it look stock.

Its much more than a ballast and bulb, its also not for any cars with the Mtec kits :rofl just non cool bumpers like mine.

midlandtech
07-16-2011, 07:29 PM
i would say it depends on how much you trust yourself... personally I would dremel a spot on the dash and install it there but if your nervous that ya might muck it up I say a stealth install in the ash tray is a good alternative :headbang

Hornung418
07-17-2011, 04:39 AM
Wait a second...you are replacing the stock fogs...so why not use the same slot and just change the switch? That makes the most sense.

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.

danewilson77
07-17-2011, 05:16 AM
i would say it depends on how much you trust yourself... personally I would dremel a spot on the dash and install it there but if your nervous that ya might muck it up I say a stealth install in the ash tray is a good alternative :headbang

+1

So let me make sure I'm clear. Your car never had a fog light switch?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Whitexi
07-17-2011, 06:07 AM
No it has stock fogs and a switch. In this kit there is an entire new harness and relay though. I basically rebuild a new system because un like the regular halogen fogs the hid's require a new harness that's a much higher gauge wire that draws its power directly from the battery. Its main power/ ground is attached to the under hood battery jumps/ posts.

I then cover up and tie back the original fog plugs and the regular switch is no longer used. Run over the down load I linked before its rather intensive but I just haven't figured out where to put the switch other than the place they said. I will if I have to but im exploring my options.

danewilson77
07-17-2011, 06:15 AM
No it has stock fogs and a switch. In this kit there is an entire new harness and relay though. I basically rebuild a new system because un like the regular halogen fogs the hid's require a new harness that's a much higher gauge wire that draws its power directly from the battery. Its main power/ ground is attached to the under hood battery jumps/ posts.

I then cover up and tie back the original fog plugs and the regular switch is no longer used. Run over the down load I linked before its rather intensive but I just haven't figured out where to put the switch other than the place they said. I will if I have to but im exploring my options.

Now I understand completely. Thanks Whitey.

Whitexi
07-17-2011, 06:22 AM
I know im rather confusing at first with my posts but there's a method to my madness :biggrin

Hornung418
07-17-2011, 06:24 AM
So will it fit in the stock LCM if you beef up the wire guage? That would be cleanest IMO. Or put it in the console with the hill descent and DSC.

Whitexi
07-17-2011, 06:42 AM
So will it fit in the stock LCM if you beef up the wire guage? That would be cleanest IMO. Or put it in the console with the hill descent and DSC.

I might be able to put it in the lcm but the buttons are not alike in shape, I can't place it in the with the hill decent and dsc because its one large board and not the individual buttons. If I had the individual buttons it would go right into one of those slots but my car is not so easy. Ive had this kit for moths but never thought about this, ive just been going over the wireing constantly so that it all makes sense now. Im gonna try to do this next weekend.

Hornung418
07-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Find picture of stock european 3er with HID fog option and replicate. Only other thing I can think of.