PDA

View Full Version : Orion v2 Opaque angel eyes for facelifted e46 coupes (including ZHP) - interested?

The Stig
07-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi everyone, long time lurker but first time poster here.

I was chatting with Umnitza over the past few days, and as some of you may be aware, at present there is no Orion v2 Opaque being made for the facelifted e46 coupes.

What they did mention is that if they could see there was sufficient demand, they would be willing to make a limited run of them for our cars. Please note, I'm not in any way affiliated with Umnitza, I'm only hoping to drum up enough support to get these made for our cars.

So, if you would be interested in seeing these made for the e46 facelifted coupe, then please send an e-mail to: info@umnitza.com and they will take note of it. I believe we have about 4 or 5 expressions of interest at present, so hopefully with a few more we'll have enough interest to get these made for our cars.

For those that haven't yet heard of the Orion v2 Opaque, have a look, they're quite nice:

http://www.umnitza.com/images/hpfcar2small_07.jpg

http://www.umnitza.com/images/hpfcar2small_08.jpg

Thanks!

danewilson77
07-03-2011, 08:53 AM
I like that opaque look. Welcome...

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

midlandtech
07-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Depending on price I may be in... I'll let'm know I am interested

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

pleasecorrupt
07-03-2011, 09:48 AM
i'd be interested if i didn't already get my v2s... they looks solid in comparison and i bet even better installed, might be concerned with how bright they may be though

M0nk3y
07-03-2011, 09:49 AM
i'd be interested in i didn't already get my v2s... they looks solid in comparison and i bet even better installed, might be concerned with how bright they may be though

You can always dim with a rheostat

mimalmo
07-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Hmmm. Finally something that looks good enough for me to consider an upgrade.

midlandtech
07-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Would these fit sedans?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

Hornung418
07-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Would these fit sedans?

Please reread OP. Umnitza is already producing these for Sedans and Preface Coupes. The thread is to gain interest in the Facelift Coupe crowd because not many people want to bake their headlights to install them, so Umnitza needs to do the Cost Analysis on the new product.

I believe these are a two week delay for the sedans.

kayger12
07-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Please reread OP.

Please reread Mafia Family Rule #4.

The rest of the post was damn helpful. Thanks Horney! :biggrin

The Stig
07-03-2011, 12:05 PM
i'd be interested if i didn't already get my v2s... they looks solid in comparison and i bet even better installed, might be concerned with how bright they may be though

Apparently the brightness in on par with the regular V2s, just that the light is more diffuse. This should give a more "solid" appearance than the regular V2s, which some might find more aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks for all of the comments so far guys, remember to shoot an e-mail off to Umnitza even if you're a bit interested, since it's the interest that matters at this point, and that will get things rolling.

As for price, I haven't spoken with them about that yet, but the Opaques are a $20 premium over regular V2s, so I would imagine we're looking at roughly the same price point, give or take.

lilcdkey
07-04-2011, 12:41 AM
in.

johnrando
07-04-2011, 05:36 AM
I'm interested in getting Angel Eyes, but I'm curious, the V2 look appears to me to be closer to OEM, as it kinda has a separate LED look, is that right? Or, are my eyes playing tricks on me and the opaque is closer to the OEM look?

Marcus-SanDiego
07-04-2011, 05:38 AM
Stig, do me a favor. Go back to Umnitza and ask how many orders would qualify as "sufficient demand."

Knowing how this business works, I am guessing that sufficient demand is more like 500 orders rather than 20 orders. It won't be worth Umnitza's while to do a limited run if that limited run won't yield enough profit.

Therefore, try to see if you can nail Umnitza down on a number. If he's not willing to give you an exact number, ask him for a general number (around 500? around 1000? around 75?). See what he says.

M0nk3y
07-04-2011, 05:42 AM
I'm interested in getting Angel Eyes, but I'm curious, the V2 look appears to me to be closer to OEM, as it kinda has a separate LED look, is that right? Or, are my eyes playing tricks on me and the opaque is closer to the OEM look?

Oem rings are lit from a bulb behind the headlights, so its a clean...non separated look

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The Stig
07-04-2011, 07:27 AM

I would think the V2 Opaque would be a closer match to OEM (at least, that's what I'm hoping for), since it diffuses the light more and takes away some of the separated LED look.

The Stig
07-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Stig, do me a favor. Go back to Umnitza and ask how many orders would qualify as "sufficient demand."

Hi Marcus, I did exchange e-mails with them about this, and they mentioned that 10-20 people would be needed for them to consider making a single batch run of the Opaques for us. So, definitely doable!

Marcus-SanDiego
07-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Well, let's see if enough facelift coupes guys can be found.

Are you publicizing this on the other BMW forums?

The Stig
07-04-2011, 07:36 AM
I've only cross-posted on e46fanatics at the moment (in the lighting section), but will try a few other forums when I get the chance. If anyone else has a forum they'd like to post this on, please feel free!

midlandtech
07-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Please reread OP. Umnitza is already producing these for Sedans and Preface Coupes. The thread is to gain interest in the Facelift Coupe crowd because not many people want to bake their headlights to install them, so Umnitza needs to do the Cost Analysis on the new product.

I believe these are a two week delay for the sedans.

...heh.. Sorry been on the phone this weekend... Good luck

danewilson77
07-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Should we not start a signup list? Not obligatory....just as interest.

Katu
07-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Email sent, I think the opaques look very nice.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-04-2011, 09:07 AM
As soon as you guys get 10 people, I recommend you go to umnitza. Tell him you're ready to go.

The Stig
07-04-2011, 12:09 PM
That's the plan, so anyone even partially interested, please e-mail them :)

danewilson77
07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Like who?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
07-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Are the OEM AEs fibre optic? I think a lot of modification to the stock housing would be necessary to accommodate the new setup.

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.

Crickett
07-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Are the OEM AEs fibre optic? I think a lot of modification to the stock housing would be necessary to accommodate the new setup.

Yes, the OE AEs are "fiber optic" in that the rings are open loops of solid, transparent material (glass or plastic) that are lit from one end with a standard halogen bulb hidden in the headlight housing, with the light bouncing off of the textured walls of the ring. I believe some 2012 models now are lit with LEDs, though I'm not sure if they use the same mechanism or if they're more like the aftermarket AEs with many LEDs around the whole ring.

Tapatalk on Jailbroken iOS: dhu eet!

The Stig
07-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I agree, I love the 2011+ angel eyes, they look fantastic. It would be great if they could be retrofitted, but I haven't read of anyone doing it yet on an e46, so in my mind the v2s are the next best option at the moment.

Speedracer
07-04-2011, 04:43 PM
email sent

az3579
07-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Yes, the OE AEs are "fiber optic" in that the rings are open loops of solid, transparent material (glass or plastic) that are lit from one end with a standard halogen bulb hidden in the headlight housing, with the light bouncing off of the textured walls of the ring. I believe some 2012 models now are lit with LEDs, though I'm not sure if they use the same mechanism or if they're more like the aftermarket AEs with many LEDs around the whole ring.

Tapatalk on Jailbroken iOS: dhu eet!

The newer models are pretty much the same concept, only with LED. I saw one up close and saw the single illumination point.

Hornung418
07-04-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd kill for that. I hate the AEs on the market right now. Too LOOKATME bright. I see an x5 every day and just grow envious.

I think somehow using the 'city light' hole you should be able to make your own OEM style by wiring the DRL to the city light, but have it as a single LED fiber optic loop that circles both bowls.

06ZhP
07-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Intrigued

Email Sent - I'm #8

IN

Kootroc
07-05-2011, 09:48 AM
oooOOooo this is so tempting!!
I currently have the 4300K AE's... if they only make one batch it'll probably be of the 6000K color... since I have AW, i think it makes my car look not white enough if that makes any sense...

CERF04ZHP
07-05-2011, 02:16 PM
I think somehow using the 'city light' hole you should be able to make your own OEM style by wiring the DRL to the city light, but have it as a single LED fiber optic loop that circles both bowls.

I love this idea.

Kudos
07-06-2011, 08:39 AM
One thing though, would we be sending our lights so they retrofit them, or would we have to bake them open ourselves?

Washburn
07-06-2011, 09:06 AM
The idea of having to bake / take apart headlights and/or sending them to be opened/bakes etc seriously hinders my enthusiasm about getting AEs :( I wonder if there's a member who is proficient in performing this task here... i'd LOVE to have AEs on mine, but the whole procedure and risks associated sucks.

danewilson77
07-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Teresa is proficient.

The Stig
07-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I feel the same way washburn, so I'm planning to have a local shop that's proficient in it do it for me, as opposed to my less than mechanically inclined hands.

Kudos
07-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Unfortunately I haven't heard from teresa in a while and she lives right in chicago. anyone been able to reach out to her recently?

johnrando
07-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm scared to death to bake mine, but I found a local installed from e46f.c who does it all the time, so I'm going with him. You might want to try to find one that way. BTW, how are we on the #'s, as I'd order mine today if they had them.

The Stig
07-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I don't have an exact number, but I think we're getting close. I'll send them an e-mail this weekend and find out. Be sure to e-mail them as well, as that is how they are gauging interest.

GreenFrog
07-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I ordered these for my sedan. Will let you guys know how the install goes!

AzkotikBMW
07-10-2011, 03:07 AM
I would also be interested in these!

I have been looking for a replacement ever since I ordered mine from Khoalty and they sent me the wrong ones (for the sedan) and now won't respond to any of my emails at all......but that's a whole different issue.

Where are we at for numbers on interest in these?

danewilson77
07-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I would also be interested in these!

I have been looking for a replacement ever since I ordered mine from Khoalty and they sent me the wrong ones (for the sedan) and now won't respond to any of my emails at all......but that's a whole different issue.

Damn. I hate hearing this.

AzkotikBMW
07-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Damn. I hate hearing this.

Yea, I tried contacting them several times, I even tried using Mark/ZHPMafia as a name-drop to get a response and I still haven't gotten so much as a reply. Wish I could say I'd go back to them for other things I will be buying in the future, but I just can't after an experience like this :(

danewilson77
07-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Yea, I tried contacting them several times, I even tried using Mark/ZHPMafia as a name-drop to get a response and I still haven't gotten so much as a reply. Wish I could say I'd go back to them for other things I will be buying in the future, but I just can't after an experience like this :(

Sorry to hear Az....

The Stig
07-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I ordered these for my sedan. Will let you guys know how the install goes!

Yes, please do! And if you could post some pictures, that would be great, I'm curious to see how it looks in everyday conditions.

The Stig
07-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Heard from Umnitza a few days ago, they said "We have about 10ish requests, but not that many. We’re talking to the factory engineers about doing a 1 off, but we need a few more folks."

So we're almost there, let's do this!

If anybody is active on another BMW forum (bimmerforums, bimmerfest, etc.), please post the information up there as well, it would be greatly appreciated!

johnrando
07-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Heard from Umnitza a few days ago, they said "We have about 10ish requests, but not that many. We’re talking to the factory engineers about doing a 1 off, but we need a few more folks."

So we're almost there, let's do this!

If anybody is active on another BMW forum (bimmerforums, bimmerfest, etc.), please post the information up there as well, it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm on those two once in awhile. Have you initiated a thread there yet, or are you asking for someone to post an initial thread? I did chime in on your e46f.c thread.

The Stig
07-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi John, yes I saw that, thanks very much :)

I was hoping someone can post an initial thread on those (or other) forums, as it's getting a bit tedious to keep registering for forums simply to post the same message. You're welcome to just cut and paste what I wrote if you'd like, it would be a big help.

johnrando
07-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi John, yes I saw that, thanks very much :)

I was hoping someone can post an initial thread on those (or other) forums, as it's getting a bit tedious to keep registering for forums simply to post the same message. You're welcome to just cut and paste what I wrote if you'd like, it would be a big help.

Will do. EDIT: Done. Bimmerfest, Bimmerforums.

johnrando
07-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Stig, did they say anything about the price, someone asked me on bimmerfest.

EDIT: Interestingly, it's gotten the same amount of views so far on each thread - only 30+. Of course, FL Coupe Angel Eyes threads do not attract the biggest crowds. :)

The Stig
07-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks a bunch John! We haven't discussed price yet, but the opaques run about a $20 premium over the regular $160 Orion V2s as it stands. I'll ask if there is a premium for the limited run next time I chat with them.

johnrando
07-14-2011, 06:10 AM
OK, thanks. We're getting more views and conversation now. Maybe 1 or 2 might email so far.

The Stig
07-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Great, I did e-mail Umnitza about pricing for a one-off run, so I'll let you know once I hear back.

GreenFrog
07-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Got my opaques today! Won't be installing for a while though, as I want to get the lightwerkz retrofit done before I install these bad boys.

The Stig
07-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Nice! Sedan I'm assuming? Be sure to show us once they're installed.

GreenFrog
07-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Yup, sedan. Will post pics once installed!

carsontl
07-18-2011, 06:23 AM
I'd be interested in this as I've been looking at Angel Eyes as my first real mod to the car and the diffused look definitely appeals to me.

What kind of price are we talking here? Do I need to contact umnitza directly to let them know of my interest or is there a list building here?

johnrando
07-18-2011, 07:31 AM
So far we've been contacting them directly, so we'd love it if you would too.

carsontl
07-19-2011, 05:36 AM
"you've been added to the list"

but the person wouldn't tell me what the number was up to on the list

johnrando
07-19-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks. I'm sure "The Stig" will update us.

The Stig
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Just heard back from Umnitza, with regard to hearing back from the factory, they said "Nothing yet, we just sold out of the standard sized ones, so we’re hoping that we can piggy back these with those." So, the hope is with their next order they can add one for us. Fingers crossed, I'll let you know more once I hear from them.

johnrando
07-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed, sounds like it's good timing since they have to order anyway.

johnrando
08-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Stig, any update?

lilcdkey
08-04-2011, 01:12 AM
To any of you looking to get angel eyes. JLeviSW offers a entire headlight with angel eyes for 300. You can also choose to have HIDs in it, if you don't already have xenons. Not a bad deal, IMO.

danewilson77
08-04-2011, 02:28 AM
To any of you looking to get angel eyes. JLeviSW offers a entire headlight with angel eyes for 300. You can also choose to have HIDs in it, if you don't already have xenons. Not a bad deal, IMO.

I think that the A/E's on the E46's are pretty poppy from what I have heard.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

carsontl
08-04-2011, 05:08 AM
poppy as in they pop? lol

danewilson77
08-04-2011, 05:21 AM
poppy as in they pop? lol

Sorry...meant poooopy.

johnrando
08-04-2011, 06:31 AM
BTW, I'm guessing that's not for face-lift coupes?

The Stig
08-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Stig, any update?

Still nothing unfortunately, I did talk to Umnitza today and they're still waiting to hear confirmation from the factory, which may take a few more weeks. I'm a bit bummed about the wait as well, I'd love to put a set on soon. I'll be sure to update with a yay or nay once I hear from them.

johnrando
08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Seems like it's been a long time, but it's only 3 weeks. Still, though, curious if there is any update?

Katu
08-30-2011, 07:41 AM
Checking in for an update as well! :D

Johnmadd
08-30-2011, 11:35 AM
My sedan Orion V2 6000k's Opaque's are scheduled to arrive any day now, once installed I will post pics.

johnrando
08-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Nice. Us coupes/verts are left out in the cold so far though.

The Stig
08-31-2011, 06:30 AM
Good question, I'll fire them an e-mail today and let you guys know

The Stig
08-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Well guys, some bad news, I spoke with umnitza and it looks like they won't be able to do a special run of opaques for the facelifted coupes. So, the only option are the regular v2's at the moment. Sorry about that :(

danewilson77
08-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Well guys, some bad news, I spoke with umnitza and it looks like they won't be able to do a special run of opaques for the facelifted coupes. So, the only option are the regular v2's at the moment. Sorry about that :(

Werd. Go figure.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
08-31-2011, 02:34 PM

Bummer. Thanks for running this down.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out.

Sent from my iPad

Johnmadd
08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Got mine yesterday (sedan), how do I know by looking at them they are what they say they are when not installed? The instructions are for 60 led install diy, is that the same instructions they send for all of their angel eyes? I can take pics if anyone willing to help needs one.

The Stig
09-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Got mine yesterday (sedan), how do I know by looking at them they are what they say they are when not installed? The instructions are for 60 led install diy, is that the same instructions they send for all of their angel eyes? I can take pics if anyone willing to help needs one.

I guess you'd partly have to rely on umnitza sending you the right pair, but if I remember correctly there was also a picture on their website showing the difference between the two when they were unlit, so you could try and identify it using that as well.

danewilson77
09-01-2011, 02:03 PM

Probably generic instructions.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

carsontl
10-07-2011, 05:57 AM
bummer, i forgot about this thread till today and finally tracked it down... bummed to hear that we can't get the opaques :(