PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Project for a Saturday Morning...

GERMANIAC
07-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Greeting from gerMANIAC!

As you west coast maphias were fast asleep, we east coasters were up and busy. Check it out!!! I installed my new Coby Wheel which arrived earlier this week. I elected to go with the M-stitching (just because it is sooo special). I also spiced it up a bit with a yellow timing stripe (so I can make sure I am going straight down the straight-away). I will tell you this is a great deal that Coby Wheel (http://cobywheel.com/) is offering (and) Mike LeMon is very helpful in answering your questions. MMmmm....the feel of new Alcantara....looks and feels great. Easy job to replace so I can enjoy the rest of the long weekend.

PS. I took a few more photos for posting (maybe I'll get some voters in the August Car of the Month contes)t. Hey, it looked so gooood in the sun today!

Prost!

danewilson77
07-02-2011, 09:21 AM
That looks great. $250 right?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
07-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Looks great.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Mike does really good work. If anyone does go with Coby Wheel, be sure to mention ZHP Mafia for a 10% discount.

I highlighted Coby Wheel in the July ZHP Mafia newsletter. Good stuff.

GERMANIAC
07-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Dane - actually $211 with the ZHP Mafia discount...

danewilson77
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Dane - actually $211 with the ZHP Mafia discount...

Ok

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

spencers
07-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Looks good. Neat time attack stripe

zhpnsnv
07-02-2011, 12:40 PM
They do really nice work. In theory, I'm interested. In reality, I'll stick with the leather since it takes the daily abuse with ease.

GERMANIAC
07-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I didn't have leather so that wasn't my first option. I shopped around and found wheels for 3 or 4 times as much. Then I stumbled on the ZHP Mafia ad in the shopping section. Great advice. Hey, I also bought some substitute LED's from Khoality which look very nice as well. Thanks for the recommendations is all I have to say...

lilcdkey
07-02-2011, 06:13 PM
So do you have to send in your current wheel? Or is it a brand new wheel? Can someone tell me how this works?

danewilson77
07-02-2011, 07:08 PM
You pay. He sends you new wheel. Then you send your core...and you get monies back. That's one way it works.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

M0nk3y
07-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I use Red Electrical Tape for my time attack strip.

It's amazing how much a little stripe can do...makes life easy especially when you're going through cones

GreenFrog
07-02-2011, 07:12 PM
You pay. He sends you new wheel. Then you send your core...and you get monies back. That's one way it works.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

So theoretically, if I were to order right now, then the wheel I would get could be someone's wheel that they sent back for the reimbursement?

zhpnsnv
07-02-2011, 07:26 PM
So theoretically, if I were to order right now, then the wheel I would get could be someone's wheel that they sent back for the reimbursement?

That's the way it works unless you want to spend the mean time without a steering wheel. You're sending in a "core" which is used to make a new one; you're receiving someone else's refurbished wheel. Either that, or send in your wheel and wait. Not sure of the specific options, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
07-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Yes.....but his reputation precedes itself. Check the website.

WWW.cobywheel.com

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

GreenFrog
07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Hmm.. I don't like that idea. What if the buttons of someone else's wheel are severely more worn than mine? I also wouldn't want to wait to send my own wheel in.

Damn.

danewilson77
07-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Do honestly think his reputation comes from doing business this way?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Alphatek45
07-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Looks like you keep your "buttons" etc. They just need the wheel itself.
I may look further into this option. Looks like they do nice work.

GreenFrog
07-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Looks like you keep your "buttons" etc. They just need the wheel itself.
I may look further into this option. Looks like they do nice work.

Aren't the buttons 'stuck' to the wheel? I thought the only piece you can remove is the center air bag core.

Alphatek45
07-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Look at the PDF on the site. It's s removal DIY. ( I've never done it) but they look separate from the wheel.

GreenFrog
07-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Ahh you're right. I would go for the new wheel but damn, I've already spent near $1k on mods and I've only had the car for two days!

danewilson77
07-02-2011, 08:04 PM
$1k is a good start. Just do what you can, when you can. Take your time.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
07-03-2011, 03:17 AM
From the Colby Wheels website regarding core charges:

Core Charge for 6 Speed Wheels: BMW E46 M3 steering wheel may fit other models. Please check with dealer for fitment.
Please note this purchase requires a core exchange. After using buy it now, wait for us to send you an invoice with an extra $150.00 for the core deposit. We will refund the deposit back to you as soon as we receive the same like core. Customer is required to ship return core certified/signature confirm to ensure receipt (Please return it within 14 days for full credit) Core returned must be in good useable/wrap able condition: no scratches, no chunks missing, airbag holes not torn etc.

Hope this answers your question. Either way going this route is still way cheaper than buying a brand new wheel from the dealership...:thumbsup

static667
07-03-2011, 03:45 AM
It looks great. Unfortunately with my budget, a wheel cover from wheel skins is about as much as I can do.

danewilson77
07-03-2011, 05:20 AM
From the Colby Wheels website regarding core charges:

Core Charge for 6 Speed Wheels: BMW E46 M3 steering wheel may fit other models. Please check with dealer for fitment.
Please note this purchase requires a core exchange. After using buy it now, wait for us to send you an invoice with an extra $150.00 for the core deposit. We will refund the deposit back to you as soon as we receive the same like core. Customer is required to ship return core certified/signature confirm to ensure receipt (Please return it within 14 days for full credit) Core returned must be in good useable/wrap able condition: no scratches, no chunks missing, airbag holes not torn etc.

Hope this answers your question. Either way going this route is still way cheaper than buying a brand new wheel from the dealership...:thumbsup

Thanks for the backup!

az3579
07-03-2011, 07:23 AM
I hope one day down the road they'll offer leather rewrapping. That would be sweeeeeeeeet.
One thing's for sure though; if they do offer it one day down the road, I'll be going to Coby Wheel for my rewrap.

coby1
07-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks, Kurt. Glad you like it.

Mike