PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or M3?

tayyib330i
07-01-2011, 03:45 PM
well today i was thinking if i had 7grand in my pocket what would i do with it, buy a turbo for the zhp, or sell my zhp and put the money together and buy a e46 m3? lol
i just want to see what people say about this and what your opinions are.
(just a general question lol dont got the money yet) hahahaha :rofl :rofl

Newjack
07-01-2011, 04:07 PM
M3's are beautiful cars. Tons of horsepower, great suspension and badging all turn heads when you drive by. But if you turbo your ZHP you will essentially have everything the M3 has in a different package. (I would go supercharger over single turbo any day though. But that's just me).

Stick with your ZHP. Throwing a supercharger under the hood just makes it a sleeper. No one will expect it to be "That" fast.

cakM3
07-01-2011, 05:43 PM
or you can have both...:biggrin

M0nk3y
07-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't even want to imagine what I want to do with 7k. Supercharge would be your best bet IMO.

Au2bahn
07-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Supercharged ZHP is an amazing sleeper. M3's are nice and people know its quick. But a SC'd ZHP is definitely quicker.

Mtnman
07-02-2011, 05:00 AM
^yeah, Listen to Jon.....He knows..... Trust me.......

az3579
07-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Umm, engine work is supposed to accompany forced induction if you want your engine to last...........
So that 7k is looking like an awfully small budget all of a sudden.
\

If I had to make a choice, I would get the turbo. When it's not in boost, you still have a hope of getting decent gas mileage, where with the supercharger, you don't.

midlandtech
07-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Forced induction for the win.... Debadge the ZHP and watch the jaws drop as ya spank people off the line

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

M0nk3y
07-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Umm, engine work is supposed to accompany forced induction if you want your engine to last...........
So that 7k is looking like an awfully small budget all of a sudden.
\

If I had to make a choice, I would get the turbo. When it's not in boost, you still have a hope of getting decent gas mileage, where with the supercharger, you don't.

Most kits run at 6-8PSI and are made to work with OEM engine blocks

danewilson77
07-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Most kits run at 6-8PSI and are made to work with OEM engine blocks

:like

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

static667
07-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Go with the FI. I'm not sure the difference you'll get out of a centrifugal or a screw type supercharger, but that's the way to go. Turbos are nice, but unless you are running a good oil cooling system, it can put extra wear on your oil and, in return, your motor. And I like the whine you get from a 'charger more than the turbo's whistle.

az3579
07-03-2011, 07:24 AM
:like

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Quoted for agreement.

The Stig
07-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I think another consideration would be power delivery - do you prefer the low down torque of a (properly sized) turbo or supercharger, or the up top delivery of a normally aspirated engine?

lilcdkey
07-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I personally would go with an M3 despite having sleeper status, nothing compares to an M :dunno

billschusteriv
07-05-2011, 11:57 AM
I like the SC route... they are making some nice kits these days.....

cakM3
07-06-2011, 06:02 AM
The ZHP is a nice car and if you're fine with having it then it would make perfect sense to go FI. I think it would be really neat to have a sleeper ZHP that can keep up with the M...:biggrin

If I were to do this to my ZHP then I would go with a supercharger setup....I think I would love to hear the whine over the whistle...but that's just me...:thumbsup

Terry
07-06-2011, 11:28 AM
In my opinion it comes down to what you plan to do with the car. If you're going to expose it to occasional track days I think the M3 might be the better way to go because you'll have the brakes, suspension, differential, reliable power, etc.. I have always been concerned with cooling with FI cars when performing lap after lap under heavy loads in warm climates. If it's a daily driver / weekend car that will not be seeing the track, etc. I think a blower may very well be the most cost-effective way to have fun. I imagine you might get better fuel economy than a 3.2 s54 as well :)

-Terry

johnrando
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't know the technical details, but it always seemed SC over turbo would be the way to go, and I'd pick an SC ZHP over an M3.

AzkotikBMW
07-11-2011, 07:45 AM
If I had the 7k I would go with the M3. As mentioned above the ZHP is *almost* the same car as the M3 but not quite. A huge factor for me is the M3's LSD. This is a HUGE upgrade from the ZHP that many people overlook. Also the M3 is tried and true....it is a true speed/racing machine and it has proved itself over many years. It is built to take the wear and tear that will be put on it, where the ZHP w/ FI is not. You will run into more costs keeping a turbo/sc'd engine running well but it would be a ton of fun =D

(Don't get me wrong, I love my ZHP, but it can't compete with an M3)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

Audi 0000
07-11-2011, 08:31 AM
I would enjoy my ZHP until the time comes to replace it. Its a great car, have fun with it. When you need something faster, buy something faster. The 7 grand would seem like a pretty good down payment for your next car. Factor in the other cost of adding FI. You may add FI and run it never having to do anything else, but usually not the case. Think heavier clutch, diff, tires, extra wear on everything, fuel economy, driveability, ses lights, labor for all the work, ect. A few of my buddies went boost nasty on their cars, and are constantly messing with things. Also consider that spending all the money and its not really adding any value to the car. BUT If you do 'Boost' it, I want a ride- Please:biggrin

Jesse M
07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I'd supercharge mine, no doubt.

GSEN820
07-11-2011, 05:12 PM
The real question is why do FI or buy an M3?

Track, daily driver, auto-x ??????

You get features that are completely sick with an M3. Then again with an SC'd ZHP, well that is not something you pull up next to everyday. Where is M3's seem to be everywhere.

Id eliminate all this discussion and go with 1 series M..................

az3579
07-11-2011, 05:31 PM
The real question is why do FI or buy an M3?

Track, daily driver, auto-x ??????

You get features that are completely sick with an M3. Then again with an SC'd ZHP, well that is not something you pull up next to everyday. Where is M3's seem to be everywhere.

Id eliminate all this discussion and go with 1 series M..................

You can get a supercharged ZHP and an M3 for that money... :shifty