PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint

Newjack
06-27-2011, 12:32 PM
So my vehicle failed the Maryland state inspection because of the window tints the PO has on the car. The shop that performed the inspection checked the tints and said they were 35% all around and should be fine, but they are not certified to approve tints on vehicles.

So I took my car to the MVA where a sheriff came out and used his equipment. It failed because his equipment says my tints are 34%. Great...

So now I don't know what to do. I really don't want to take of my tints because its such a pain and I will probably just put them back on. But how do I go about getting my tints through MD inspection?

My tags expire at the end of this month (I have 3 days left).

lilcdkey
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Lol there's no way they are 34%.. most tint shops only do specific percentages 50%, 35%, 20%, 15%, 5%. I know this because I used to work with one. I suggest you get the receipt from the shop that did the tints (if it says 35% on it) or just try the inspection and tell them that its 35%. If theyre nice, they'll let you go.

Mtnman
06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Really? Got you by 1%? ridiculous.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 12:56 PM
So my vehicle failed the Maryland state inspection because of the window tints the PO has on the car. The shop that performed the inspection checked the tints and said they were 35% all around and should be fine, but they are not certified to approve tints on vehicles.

So I took my car to the MVA where a sheriff came out and used his equipment. It failed because his equipment says my tints are 34%. Great...

So now I don't know what to do. I really don't want to take of my tints because its such a pain and I will probably just put them back on. But how do I go about getting my tints through MD inspection?

My tags expire at the end of this month (I have 3 days left).

I've never heard of 34%. But it is possible because even though the shop advertised 35%, it could have been just 34%. Quality control issue.

SoarinZHP
06-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I had a weird thing. I live in TX and my ZHP was previously registered in Dallas county. It needed inspection when I bought it. The dealer had it inspected in Williamson county. It failed and they peeled the front tint off the doors.

DirtyPillows
06-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Curious question do our car (zhp) come with tint on it standard and at what % are they if so

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
06-27-2011, 01:22 PM
If there was tint, it would have been standard across the E46 platform. The ZHP was not unspecial enough to get tint (while no one else did), DP.

Newjack
06-27-2011, 03:44 PM
I guess I'm just going to have to take them off tomorrow. Does anyone know if the lines in the rear window (for the defroster) are inside the glass or are easily scratched off?

Using a steamer seems to be the preferred method to get the tints off but it seems a little messy to me. Would a blow dryer work just as well?

SoarinZHP
06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Whatever you do, don't just peel it off. Use the steamer method or something to loosen the adhesive. I had adhesive residue left on mine and it caused an aging window regulator to fail... =<

nike001
06-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Don't take it off...Find another shop that will pass it. There are plenty of other shops out there that don't have guys that have their heads up their asses enough to fail a car with 34% tint

kayger12
06-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Don't take it off...Find another shop that will pass it. There are plenty of other shops out there that don't have guys that have their heads up their asses enough to fail a car with 34% tint

This.

Newjack
06-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Just took my car to have the tints removed. Bottom line was that unless I had the receipt for the previous tints I wasn't going to be able to sneak it by MD state inspection. I payed $100 to get the tints off which I kind of regret. But at the same time they did a nice job and didn't leave any glue / didn't damage any defroster lines in the rear window. It was worth it to get rid of the headache.

But now my car is too bright :crying

johnrando
06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Pass inspection, re-do tint! :shift

zj96sc
06-28-2011, 11:56 AM
clear car class usually reads at about 1-2% just by itself. You likely had 35% film applied, so you wound up at a net of somewhere under 35%. Georgia's law is 32%, i would assume for this reason.

romanred62
06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Lol there's no way they are 34%.. most tint shops only do specific percentages 50%, 35%, 20%, 15%, 5%. I know this because I used to work with one. I suggest you get the receipt from the shop that did the tints (if it says 35% on it) or just try the inspection and tell them that its 35%. If theyre nice, they'll let you go.

I have 20% on my car but I was pulled over and the state trooper measured the rear door window at 14%. Don't understand why because 6% difference is a little much but I didnt ask questions. Limit is 32% here in Alabama as well.