PDA

View Full Version : Tinted tails, ZHP badge, and black grill installed.

cparker
06-18-2011, 03:25 PM
My first significant cosmetic mods. Medium smoke tail light film, gloss black grill, and custom ZHP badge.

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae265/cparker26/DSC00129.jpg

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae265/cparker26/DSC00130.jpg

kayger12
06-18-2011, 03:44 PM
I like it, man.

Nice job with the badge.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

05ZIPPYZHP
06-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Alpine White is such a beautiful base color with black accents. Nice car. Where did you get the badge if you don't mind sharing, I have been hunting for something very similar.

spencers
06-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Love that alpine weiß

Marcus-SanDiego
06-18-2011, 04:01 PM
I think the badge came from bimmian.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

cparker
06-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. The badge is the italic custom badging you can get from Bimmian. You can only get chrome, so I scruffed them and applied a couple coats of krylon fusion black paint.

danewilson77
06-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Looks great.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Washburn
06-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Hmm.. :) so that's what an AW coupe looks like with black glossy grills...must dhu eet :)
hope you get some better/sharper pics in the future... Looks good.

Can't say i am a fan of the ZHP badge, though. But it's all a matter of preference, of course.

nike001
06-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Gloss black grille = winning
ZHP badge + tinted tails = not my cup of tea

cparker
06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
I normally wouldn't be a fan either, but for some reason I feel it works on this car. It already had a black bling feel because of the 20's so I'm just working with what's already on the car.

bullfrogs_M3
06-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Gloss black grille = winning
ZHP badge + tinted tails = not my cup of tea

+1. Sorry man, but just not feelin the tails. Badge is alright, just never been a fan of tinted tails

Love the AW though. DROOL

Marcus-SanDiego
06-18-2011, 05:59 PM
But, as we always say around here, to each their own. It's all good.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

static667
06-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Looking suh-weet!

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

billschusteriv
06-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Nice! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Did you do the tint film on the tails yourself? Have any insights? Level of difficulty?

cparker
06-18-2011, 08:47 PM
It was the tint kit from bimmian so it was pre-cut. You definitely have to take your time to avoid bubbles (I still ended up with a couple) but overall it wasn't that difficult.

cparker
06-18-2011, 08:50 PM
I'll get better pics next weekend. The tails look darker than they are because of the low ambient lighting. It's raining today.

DeM3n
06-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Nice car but better pics would be great.

Tapatalk... It's what the doctor ordered.

Katu
06-18-2011, 11:08 PM
I need black grill soon, ahhhh!

lilcdkey
06-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Not really a fan of the badge. The grills look good and the lights are too dark imo.

MOTOROLA ATRIX TAPATALK

johnrando
06-20-2011, 09:57 AM
I like the badge, especially the dark accent on the light car.

Ryans323i
06-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Great modding. Love that you took the badge a little farther and painted it on your own. Everything looks great IMO.

Keep it up!

Washburn
06-20-2011, 01:38 PM
good thing about those mods is, they're easily reversible.
What bothers me about the badge is not really the cosmetics/color, I think the badge itself is okay. but i can't agree with the logic of it. ZHP is not an official model, it's an option code. I mean it's almost like putting ZKW (?) on it, because it has the cold weather option...
But like Marcus said, this is a matter of preference - at the same time, I hope expressing opinions is also a good thing, and can help each other a lot.

cparker
06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Wasn't expecting so much negative feedback.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Just part of the modding scene. You may do things that don't appeal to the masses. Trust me. I've been modding BMWs for more than 10 years. I've had my fair share of "that ain't my cup of tea" comments.

My suggestion is this: mod for yourself. Don't worry about the negative push back that you'll occasionally receive.

Cadeez
06-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Just part of the modding scene. You may do things that don't appeal to the masses. Trust me. I've been modding BMWs for more than 10 years. I've had my fair share of "that ain't my cup of tea" comments.

My suggestion is this: mod for yourself. Don't worry about the negative push back that you'll occasionally receive.

You said it best boss...

Don't sweat it CParker, if you like it that's all that matters. I actually like it, it's different, and will make people wonder and ask questions. I think I'd like it better if it weren't italic, but nicely done either way. A lot of folks on here don't like my shadow 330i badge, but I love it, so it doesn't bother me at all. Everyone has their own opinion, and personally I don't usually leave feedback unless it's positive, but that's just me.

danewilson77
06-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Mod on!!!!

L0veZHP
06-20-2011, 04:24 PM
good thing about those mods is, they're easily reversible.
What bothers me about the badge is not really the cosmetics/color, I think the badge itself is okay. but i can't agree with the logic of it. ZHP is not an official model, it's an option code. I mean it's almost like putting ZKW (?) on it, because it has the cold weather option...
But like Marcus said, this is a matter of preference - at the same time, I hope expressing opinions is also a good thing, and can help each other a lot.

ZKW is not as rare or "special" as ZHP.. Honesty I'm proud to be a ZHP owner if not then I might have already traded my car in for something else. ZHP is a title well known in the E46 community having a badge letting people know its a ZHP is pretty cool but doesn't fit my favor. But im just saying E46 people go hard! to see if its really a ZHP or not. I had my car parked once at a shop and some guy was looking into my window, I ran over to him and was like wtf?! he said he was only trying to see if the car had red gauges to see if it really was a ZHP... (not checking if it had cold weather package)

L0veZHP
06-20-2011, 04:25 PM
You said it best boss...

Don't sweat it CParker, if you like it that's all that matters. I actually like it, it's different, and will make people wonder and ask questions. I think I'd like it better if it weren't italic, but nicely done either way. A lot of folks on here don't like my shadow 330i badge, but I love it, so it doesn't bother me at all. Everyone has their own opinion, and personally I don't usually leave feedback unless it's positive, but that's just me.

My whole family hates that I changed my roundels to black and white. but idc i love it.. now im thinking about debageing my car but i know ppl gonna hate it.

Ryans323i
06-21-2011, 04:05 AM

This. Period.

Ask me how I know. lol.

05ZHPCPE
06-21-2011, 04:55 AM
My headlights and taillights have been tinted since 2006 and I debadged...I went for the unique/aggressive/suspicious and original look on my car and I have never had any negative feedback. Maybe those comments were reserved for behind my back, but in the end the car looks exactly how I want it! Pink and yellow with a 3 foot spoiler would be about the only mod that would raise my eyebrow on this car. Keep it up!

johnrando
06-21-2011, 06:47 AM
This. Period.

Ask me how I know. lol.

Yes. And, being a member with chrome wheels (and liking them), PLUS ONE! :)

cparker
06-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Pink and yellow with a 3 foot spoiler would be about the only mod that would raise my eyebrow on this car. Keep it up!

Awww man you totally blew it, I was going for hot pink racing stripes next.

cparker
06-21-2011, 07:53 AM
At first I wasn't even sure if I liked the tinted tails, but I've definitely warmed up to them as I look at the car more. It really balances well with the black wheels and grill and gives the car more "stealth" appeal.

az3579
06-21-2011, 08:01 AM
At first I wasn't even sure if I liked the tinted tails, but I've definitely warmed up to them as I look at the car more. It really balances well with the black wheels and grill and gives the car more "stealth" appeal.

I felt the same way about my smoked tails. I straight hated them for about 2 days and now i'm at the "like" point. Still waiting to reach "love" status though...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

nike001
06-22-2011, 05:18 PM
I felt the same way about my smoked tails. I straight hated them for about 2 days and now i'm at the "like" point. Still waiting to reach "love" status though...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I've done things kind of like this before too. But it also raises another question. If you don't immediately like it, and it takes a few days/weeks/months to get used to it and then love it... then does that mean most other people wont like it? Then that means they probably won't ever like it since they aren't around it as much as you are? lol just a thought.

OP, mod on! Just because it's not certainly my cup of tea doesn't mean that I'm telling you to stop doing things. Maybe I'm just not like you; I haven't had the exposure to really like and enjoy it as you had.

az3579
06-22-2011, 05:54 PM
I've done things kind of like this before too. But it also raises another question. If you don't immediately like it, and it takes a few days/weeks/months to get used to it and then love it... then does that mean most other people wont like it? Then that means they probably won't ever like it since they aren't around it as much as you are? lol just a thought.

My answer to your question is no. My particular mod (in this case, smoked turns and tails), I have gotten numerous compliments on, mainly at the Beast Coast Reunion. Every time I heard something good said about it, I went "eeeeehhh, weeeellllll.... hmmmm.......", kind of in doubt. So, just because I don't like it, doesn't mean everyone else won't. Clear corners and tails is the perfect example; I do not like them, but if I was to install them on my car, everyone would be like "oooooooo, aaaaaahhh!!!".

cparker
10-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Never could get used to how dark the tails were. I ordered some 6% laminx tint and it looks PERFECT now. Looks the same as "smoked" tails which is the look I was originally shooting for.

I also removed the badge. Looks cleaner now. I'll post a pic when the sun is shining.

cakM3
10-07-2011, 03:01 AM
OP,

I like everything you did with your ZHP except for the badge. Not that the badge looks bad but to me it doesn't look right... if you like it then rock it I say :thumbsup

As Marcus mentioned earlier, mod for yourself...:thumbsup

cakM3
10-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Great modding. Love that you took the badge a little farther and painted it on your own. Everything looks great IMO.

Keep it up!

Ryan,

Your bimmer is unique :) You did an awesome job on it. Everything seems to work, there's no mistake spotting you... that's for sure...:thumbsup

Ryans323i
10-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Appreciate it Charlie!

tripod06
10-09-2011, 03:58 PM
love it!