PDA

View Full Version : 1 Month, 5000 Miles, 7 States, and Plenty of Smiles

goofiefoot
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
My wife and I just got back from a road trip to Tennessee, and I am IN LOVE with this car! HERE (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3007-New-Texas-ZHP-Owner) is the story of how I got it (and how I got the first 4 states and 1100 miles).

I can't believe I've owned this car for a little less than a month and have already put almost 5000 miles on it. We left on June 2 at about noon and drove nonstop to Benton, AR before we filled up. We had 490 miles on the car, which figured to 32.5 mpg! The MPG computer showed 32.7, but I like to rely on doing the math myself. We did have a pretty good tailwind, I kept it about 69mph and I never really had to slow down, so I'm sure that helped, as well as a fresh oil change and adding a new K&N air filter.

The other tanks averaged around 30 mpg, give or take, depending on how much city or mountain driving I was doing. Folks, I NEVER expected this type of mileage. I figured I'd get about 24-25 mpg out of a normal daily driver tank, and maybe stretch it 28-29 on long trips. Coming from a 2001 Xterra 4x4 which got 15 mpg on a good day, this blows me away.

I love how this car is geared for the highway. Once in 6th, a little foot pressure zipped me around semis and slower drivers with seemingly no effort from the engine. 8 or 9 hour drives seemed like nothing with these seats. I was really happy with the BMW AUX input I installed in the ashtray before the trip - seamless iPhone integration. My wife and I had a decent amount of luggage with us, and the trunk gobbled it up.

Then there were the mountain roads. I was grinning like a fool threading around the curves and hills - at 35 mph (ok, maybe I pushed it to 40 a few times). I had no idea you could have so much fun at such low speeds. And I own another sports car (1988 Toyota Mr2 - which is about to be for sale).

So, yes, I'm completely sold.

Now for some (dumb?) questions:

What the heck are the "inner" headlights for? Do they operate independently from the Xenons? (like I said, probably making some folks cringe with these noob questions)

I've been scouring the Detailing section, and have learned probably too much. From what I've read, it probably won't kill my car if I have to use the touchless automatic car wash down the street until I have the time and cash to get some decent supplies, correct? I will use a microfiber towel to dry and wipe the car down after the wash. We're also in a pretty severe drought down here, so washing a car in the driveway may be a little frowned-upon.

How do snow tires drive on hot, non-snowy roads? I got a set with the car, mounted on rims. The car's original Michelins are about done, and I figure I could delay my having to buy new tires if I used up the snows in the interim.

Do I have TPMS if I don't have the button by my DSC button?

That's all I can think of for the time being. Thanks to you all for all the great information!

danewilson77
06-13-2011, 01:43 PM
inner lights are daytime running light (DRL's)

You most likely do not have tpms.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

kayger12
06-13-2011, 01:48 PM
What the heck are the "inner" headlights for? Do they operate independently from the Xenons? (like I said, probably making some folks cringe with these noob questions)

First off-- no dumb questions here. The inner headlights are typically "flash to pass." If you pull the stalk towards you, they activate while you hold back pressure on the stalk.

I've been scouring the Detailing section, and have learned probably too much. From what I've read, it probably won't kill my car if I have to use the touchless automatic car wash down the street until I have the time and cash to get some decent supplies, correct? I will use a microfiber towel to dry and wipe the car down after the wash. We're also in a pretty severe drought down here, so washing a car in the driveway may be a little frowned-upon.

Touchless should be fine for now.

How do snow tires drive on hot, non-snowy roads? I got a set with the car, mounted on rims. The car's original Michelins are about done, and I figure I could delay my having to buy new tires if I used up the snows in the interim.

Snow tires will be fine in the summer, I believe they'll just wear a lot faster. Someone will probably jump in with more on this.

Do I have TPMS if I don't have the button by my DSC button?

Iirc, if you don't have the button, then you don't have a TPMS.

That's all I can think of for the time being. Thanks to you all for all the great information!

goofiefoot
06-13-2011, 01:52 PM
inner lights are daytime running light (DRL's)

Dumb question follow-up - how do you turn them on?

goofiefoot
06-13-2011, 01:52 PM
The inner headlights are typically "flash to pass." If you pull the stalk towards you, they activate while you hold back pressure on the stalk.

Oh. So which one is it?

danewilson77
06-13-2011, 01:53 PM
By turning the key on.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

goofiefoot
06-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Alright, Dane, fair enough. I am the one asking the dumb questions here, right?

So assuming I turn my key on, and they do not light up, what am I to assume?

kayger12
06-13-2011, 01:59 PM
If your daytime running lights aren't set to be on, then they won't turn on when you turn the key. On my 325, they were set to be off and only came on when you pulled the stalk. Otherwise, they never lit up. On my ZHP, the DRLs are programmed to be on, so as soon as I turn the key they come on. I assumed since you weren't sure what they were, that your DRLs asre programmed to be off.

Sorry- I should have specified which stalk. Should be the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel, iirc.

Mtnman
06-13-2011, 02:02 PM
If they dont light up when you turn the car on, someone disabled them at the dealer. (mine are disabled, and i wanted it that way beacuse of the angel eyes i put on) to activate the flash to pass, pull the high beam stalk towards driver while car is on. thats it!

danewilson77
06-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Alright, Dane, fair enough. I am the one asking the dumb questions here, right?

So assuming I turn my key on, and they do not light up, what am I to assume?

Bro....I never said it was a dumb question. Keith cleared that up for us.

Its all good.

SoarinZHP
06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Hello Neighbor - I believe I put just over 2k on mine. I gotta say I love it, too. It's my 2nd E46. Comparatively, the ZHP is the shiz. The engine is phenomenal, the seats are comfy, the HK sound system is better than expected. The car is so relaxed when cruising and can be a best when brought out to play. It is such a well made vehicle. I have to agree with other people when they say the ZHP may be the best BMW ever produced.

The only negative thing I can say about mine is the tires are too soft. I was expecting better turn in or bite into the corners... Maybe increasing tire pressure will help...

johnrando
06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
If they dont light up when you turn the car on, someone disabled them at the dealer. (mine are disabled, and i wanted it that way beacuse of the angel eyes i put on) to activate the flash to pass, pull the high beam stalk towards driver while car is on. thats it!

Yes, if you want DRLs enabled (mine are disabled) you either have to go to a dealer to code it or know someone who has a computer with the coding software loaded, there are several options that can be coded besides DRLs such as window controlled from the remote, beeps for lock-unlock, lights, etc.

goofiefoot
06-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Bro....I never said it was a dumb question. Keith cleared that up for us.

Its all good.

Agreed. My smiley didn't come through for whatever reason. I'm a class-A smarta$$, so half of my posts will be in the "sarcastical" nature.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not that big of a deal if I have to recode it to light them up.

So, was TPMS an option? I know mine didn't come with run-flats, but I would have thought it would have been a given.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Jason, I know you're a nice guy, so I'm betting that they'll be more facetious than anything (they won't be sarcastic).

But thanks for giving us the heads up that you're a playful guy. That helps. Get those smileys in there, pal. :biggrin

goofiefoot
06-13-2011, 05:40 PM
amusing, blithe, capering, clever, comic, comical, droll, dry, fanciful, farcical, flip, flippant, frivolous, funny, ***, humorous, indecorous, ironic, irreverent, jesting, jocose, jocular, joking, joshing, laughable, ludicrous, merry, not serious, playful, pleasant, pulling one's leg, punning, putting one on, ridiculous, salty, sarcastic, satirical, smart, sportive, sprightly, waggish, whimsical, wisecracking, witty, wry

Or all of the above! :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

Tested and approved. Smilies are now working!

Hello Neighbor - I believe I put just over 2k on mine. I gotta say I love it, too. It's my 2nd E46. Comparatively, the ZHP is the shiz. The engine is phenomenal, the seats are comfy, the HK sound system is better than expected. The car is so relaxed when cruising and can be a best when brought out to play. It is such a well made vehicle. I have to agree with other people when they say the ZHP may be the best BMW ever produced.

The only negative thing I can say about mine is the tires are too soft. I was expecting better turn in or bite into the corners... Maybe increasing tire pressure will help...

Hey! What's up, Kris? Glad you're enjoying yours. Let's figure out a time to meet up.

goofiefoot
06-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Another question:

When I start my car cold, I hear a "chattering" sound - almost like belts squeaking, but not quite. Very briefly (a second or so), right after it starts up, then no more. Any thoughts?

danewilson77
06-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Another question:

When I start my car cold, I hear a "chattering" sound - almost like belts squeaking, but not quite. Very briefly (a second or so), right after it starts up, then no more. Any thoughts?

May be time for you to swap out you pulleys. There are three. But it could be alt, ac comp, or ps pump as well.

I recommend you pull belts and inspect pulleys.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

goofiefoot
06-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Sounds like fun. Will do. Thanks, Dane!

mimalmo
06-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't drive winter tires in the summer unless it was an emergency.

billschusteriv
06-14-2011, 04:22 AM
First off-- no dumb questions here.

Touchless should be fine for now.

+1. No dumb questions here. We're family and here to help everyone get the information they need. As others have said, "family search" is enabled and on. Ask away.

There are waterless car wash products that I have not used... but have been recommended by others. One of our affiliate advertisers, Detailer's Domain, has a waterless product by Adam's. I've been pretty happy with everything I've ordered from them so far. If you want some more insights, I'd post a thread in the detailing section asking about waterless washes... otherwise... check it out here...

http://detailersdomain.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/waterlesskawzar.jpg

http://detailersdomain.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AdamsWaterlessWashKwazar

I believe you just type "ZHPMAFIA" at the checkout for a % discount. They also run periodic specials around holidays and will post threads in the detailing forum.

billschusteriv
06-14-2011, 04:31 AM
I wouldn't drive winter tires in the summer unless it was an emergency.

Here is a good article on Edmunds on snow vs summer tire performance:

http://www.insideline.com/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

In sum - snows should not be used on dry pavement; you'll experience a considerable drop in handling and performance.

goofiefoot
06-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Here is a good article on Edmunds on snow vs summer tire performance:

http://www.insideline.com/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

In sum - snows should not be used on dry pavement; you'll experience a considerable drop in handling and performance.

Jeez, nice find. I guess I'll be selling the snows sooner than I thought. I was wondering about the noise ("the noise they make when cruising straight and level reminds us of a lifted off-road pickup"), but didn't think the handling would drop by that much. 35 feet on a 60-0 is a big difference.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm learning my way around "this here fancy car."

billschusteriv
06-14-2011, 05:48 AM
You should be able to find someone that wants your snows... hopefully you can get someone to pick them up.

Shipping wheels/tires can be a real challenge and money sink.