PDA

View Full Version : Alcantara vs. Leather in the BMW 330 ZHP

The Heretic
06-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Actively looking for a ZHP and curious what actual owners think about the standard alcantara seating. I'm not a big fan of leather and prefer the feel and "hold" of alcantara just concerned about the wear and tear aspect. If you had the choice again, what would you have chosen from the factory now that you own the car?

mimalmo
06-06-2011, 09:31 AM
I absolutely love my Alcantara interior. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Besides, you can get leather in just about any car today. How many offer Alcantara?

DeM3n
06-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I have leather and I really like it. I've seen a few owners with the alcántara interior and I've noticed, especially on the steering wheel, it looks a bit faded... Almost smooth like. I've heard that some people where gloves when they drive so the oils on the hands don't speed up the wear process. As far as seats go, both would probably wear about the same on the bolsters from getting in/out.

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I absolutely love my Alcantara interior. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Besides, you can get leather in just about any car today. How many offer Alcantara?

+1 on the alcantara. I will own nothing else, if it is up to me. I have had both.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

johnrando
06-06-2011, 09:52 AM
I've only had leather, love it. Wouldn't go any other way (vs. cloth seats in past non-BMW cars). Can't really comment on the Alcantara other than what I've read.

lilcdkey
06-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Alcantara just for the exclusivity.

GSEN820
06-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Alcantara is the way to go. I have leather in both of my cars but wouldn't mind Alcantara just to be a little different.

Washburn
06-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I really like the Alcantara/cloth seats - they're not hot in the summer, which is a plus, and I have heated seats for the winter. I like the look and feel - it's very unique to me. I know that you have to take care of it, Mine still looks very good, and I take necessary steps not to rub against bolsters etc when i am getting in/out.

Someday if the alcantara parts become too raggedy, i plan to replace JUST those parts with leather upholstery, (getting those parts refinished/covered in leather) and I will end up with leather/cloth combo seats...which I also like.

However, I must say I am glad I have the steering wheel in leather - leather wheel and alcantara interior is the best combo, IMO.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/DSCN0457.jpg

zhpnsnv
06-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Alcantara just for the exclusivity.

Fair point, but there's also the incredible feel/grip/comfort and look of it. It is nice, though, to have an interior only offered on one car, ever.

Well said.

kayger12
06-06-2011, 03:51 PM
It is nice, though, to have an interior only offered on one car, ever.

That about says it.

Alphatek45
06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I have the Alcantara steering wheel (only) and I hate it. Its faded and looks like trash. Id like to replace it with leather eventually.

kayger12
06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I have the Alcantara steering wheel (only) and I hate it. Its faded and looks like trash. Id like to replace it with leather eventually.

I kind of feel like I got the best of both worlds with a later year '05: Alcantara seats, but perf leather steering wheel/shift boot/ebrake boot.

Gotta say though, was looking at Marc's Imola the other day and loved the look of the alcantara all around.

Stu
06-06-2011, 03:58 PM
I was a bit skeptical at first, but I absolutely love the alcantara seating. It's very unique and adds a sporty look to the car, especially to the door panels. It fits the anthracite headliner perfectly. It's a complete bitch to maintain and keep looking fresh, but it's 30x comfier than I imagined. I was expecting the usual cloth feel of a car, but this is insanely comfortable. I practically prefer it to leather. Nothing like the generic cloth you'd find in a Hyundai.

Now the steering wheel...that's a whole other story.

kayger12
06-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Great point, Zell-- definitely makes the door panels look awesome.

zhpnsnv
06-06-2011, 04:02 PM
The only place I find my alcantara wearing is on the seat bolster where I get in and get out. I think it can be remedied with one of those lint shaver things. The material on the seats doesn't behave like the material on the steering wheel (which I don't have) because the seat material isn't constantly barraged with the oils and crap off your hands. It's cloth on material, so it doesn't look like the steering wheels end up looking.

I've owned an E30 with cloth, an R53 with cloth, an E46 with leather and an E46 with cloth (and a ford explorer with cloth). I'm not an expert. I have
experienced both, but I admittedly have an aversion to leather. Leather just doesn't feel as comfy on my butt.

OP - listen to your butt - that's where your answers lie.

:ducking

kayger12
06-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Butt-logic, ftw!

Washburn
06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I kind of feel like I got the best of both worlds with a later year '05: Alcantara seats, but perf leather steering wheel/shift boot/ebrake boot.

Same here - and very happy :)
for anyone looking for a car, and on the fence about the interior: Go for alcantara, if all else is in place - you will appreciate it - be different!

zhpnsnv
06-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Same here - and very happy :)
for anyone looking for a car, and on the fence about the interior: Go for alcantara, if all else is in place - you will appreciate it - be different!

Right. I'd like to see someone type, "I chose alcantara and hate it." Haven't seen it. Doubt I will.

johnrando
06-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Right. I'd like to see someone type, "I chose alcantara and hate it." Haven't seen it. Doubt I will.

Wow, you guys/gals LOVE your alcantara! Impressive. I was really glad mine came with leather and not that. Certainly understand the uniqueness factor... it's just that leather is for me. As I say, to each his/her own. Maybe it's just as well anyway, as alcantara could be difficult with the top down so much.

Washburn
06-06-2011, 04:37 PM
yep with a convertible, i can understand someone not wanting alcantara - and even when it's not a vert, as you said, some people just may not want it - but I think ones who experience it, will in most cases, like it .

i have had leather interiors in other cars before, and it's nice too, but nothing unique/special. hated them in summer.
When i was shopping for the ZHP, i wanted the ZHP to be as much "ZHP - exclusive" as possible, and alcantara certainly was one of those things I wanted on mine...

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 04:56 PM

Have you tried the diy refurb yet (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?402-DIY-Restore-Your-Alcantara-Steering-Wheel)?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Alphatek45
06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Have you tried the diy refurb yet?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

I'm aware of the post. Haven't tried it. Probably should before $pending the ca$h. Good idea.

GMATT
06-06-2011, 05:01 PM
I almost bought a White ZHP with Alcantara interior. Test drove the car for 2 + hours..........and I can tell you, it is the BOMB. The car I bought has leather, however my butt loved the cloth interior much moar!!!!!!!!!! so if you have the chance .................duhhhhhheeeeeeeeeet

Marcus-SanDiego
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
The first ZHP that I agreed to buy (but seller decided not to sell) had Alcantara. I love that interior. Cannot lose.

I ended up an imola red car with natural brown leather. It's pure win, too.

I couldn't lose, I guess.

az3579
06-06-2011, 05:32 PM
It's funny, I have people give me crap about not having leather in a BMW but I just roll my eyes because these seats are EXCELLENT. Not hot in the summer, not cold in the winter, and grips very well on the track. I would only be happier if the bolsters were cloth as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gr330zhp
06-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I absolutely love the alcantara because....well because it is alcantara :)

I love the feeling, the look, and the high-line feeling it gives! And my favorite part of all, the alcantara steering wheel!!!!!! Mine was replaced by BMW just before my free maintenance was up though, even though my old one was really, in good shape. Haha I claimed "premature wear" the magic term, and in a new $1300 steering wheel went :biggrin

I do drive the car with clean hands only though, no changing oil and wiping on the steering wheel :shifty Plus no eating in the car, so the alcantara says in good shape

One thing I do miss about leather though, is caring for it. With my Audi, I had the extended leather package and I would Leatherique the entire interior twice a year! While most find it a chore, I loved doing it and the interior looked amazing...

Alcantara FTW!

04ZHP_PDX
06-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I love my Alcantara...even if I don't know how to actually say it. Is it al-cahn-taira or al-can-taira or al-can-tahra or something else? All I know is that it hugs me when I need it most. Lets me breath when things are getting too hot and heavy. And keeps me warm when I'm cold. And my wife wonders why I just sit in her sometimes :)!

danewilson77
06-07-2011, 03:39 AM
I always pronounce it..

Al-can-tra.....though I know its not spelled this way.

I think your first pronunciation is correct though.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

johnnyrad
06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I have the leather but with Alcantara steering wheel. So to me I have the best of both and I love the fuzzy soft steering wheel. I did the refurb clean up on the steering wheel when I bought the vehicle due to being all matted down with oil from previous owner and it was so easy and brought it back to being fluffy and soft. I must admit though that in sprited driving condtions I do slide around on the leather, but it doesn't really take the smile off my face.

billschusteriv
06-07-2011, 02:11 PM
From sitting in DW's car and the sport leathers in my e30, I like both.

iZHP
06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Leather steering wheel and alcantara interior FTW :)

The Heretic
06-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies. Feeling even more confident about choosing alcantara for the interior. Just need to find the car now! :)

danewilson77
06-07-2011, 04:55 PM
From sitting in DW's car and the sport leathers in my e30, I like both.

In person, you told me you liked mine best. What say you?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

zhpnsnv
06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
The first ZHP that I agreed to buy (but seller decided not to sell) had Alcantara. I love that interior. Cannot lose.

I ended up an imola red car with natural brown leather. It's pure win, too.

I couldn't lose, I guess.

That right there is the only leather option I probably would have bought. I almost pulled the trigger on an I/R and black leather, but the leather held me back.

And my wife wonders why I just sit in her sometimes :)!

I know we're not supposed to comment on grammar and usage on this forum, but that sentence is just all sorts of odd and awesome at the same time. Either you call your car your "wife," or you've got some really interesting furniture in your house. :scratchinghead:biggrin

az3579
06-08-2011, 03:26 AM
I know we're not supposed to comment on grammar and usage on this forum, but that sentence is just all sorts of odd and awesome at the same time. Either you call your car your "wife," or you've got some really interesting furniture in your house. :scratchinghead:biggrin

:rofl

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 03:38 AM
That right there is the only leather option I probably would have bought. I almost pulled the trigger on an I/R and black leather, but the leather held me back.

Identification of awesomeness is allowed. Grammar policing, is not.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-08-2011, 07:33 AM

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Washburn
06-08-2011, 01:13 PM
:eeps

zhpnsnv
06-08-2011, 02:22 PM
:eeps

nono

SoarinZHP
06-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Mine has the black leather. My first BMW had leather, too. From my perspective the leather in the ZHP is of a much higher grade. In Texas, we already have 100+ degree temperatures and it cools off quickly. Either that or I'm used to the heat associated with leather seats.

das boots
08-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Something I noticed that I have not asked before on interiors. There are leather and cloth seats. Does it matter on pricing or what-not if the seats are cloth? By cloth, does that mean all of the seats are cloth? Are cloth any good on wear and tear? Comfort level? Wrinkles? Pardon the ignorance. Please enlighten me. Marcus...nice meeting you.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Lawrence, nice meeting you this weekend. Love the E30 M3.

As for pricing, no. I have not seen it make a difference. In other words, I have not seen cloth-seat versions of our cars get a premium over leather-seat cars.

I've never had cloth, so other people will need to chime in.

I'm also using your question to create a new thread. It's a good question that someone may be interested in.

mimalmo
08-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Here's a previous thread where we discussed some of the differences.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3207-Alcantara-vs.-Leather

Marcus-SanDiego
08-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Good Eli, thanks for the thread. I have merged them.

sna77
08-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Personally, i don't like the alcantra. I specifically set out looking for a ZHP with leather. Then I swapped the steering wheel and shift / ebrake boot to black leather to complete the look.

Before:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/stella-fanatics/before/zhp-before2.JPG

After:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/stella-fanatics/7.jpg

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/stella-fanatics/8.jpg

RVAzhp
08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
i have leather in my BMW and love it, except on those ridiculously hot summer days, but in the winter you can't beat it.

i had alcantara in my LS integra, had Type R front and rear seats and arm rest, and i loved that as well. people hate on the alcantara, but i think it's best when it's worn down and not all fuzzy anymore. my biggest complaint about the leather is my all black car, plus black leather, plus sunny parking spot...it must get about 200 degress in my car some summers.

danewilson77
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I have had both and I prefer alcantara. Both leather and alcantara have pros and cons.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I have had both and I prefer alcantara. Both leather and alcantara have pros and cons.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

+1

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

az3579
08-02-2011, 02:42 AM
One thing's for sure; the alcantara is awesome when new, but when worn it's kind of disappointing, IMO. Once my bolsters wear down, they are getting rewrapped in the same cloth material as the seat centers, to make them 100% cloth.

RVAzhp
08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
One thing's for sure; the alcantara is awesome when new, but when worn it's kind of disappointing, IMO. Once my bolsters wear down, they are getting rewrapped in the same cloth material as the seat centers, to make them 100% cloth.

one man's trash is another man's treasure. well worn alcantara =awesome.

lilcdkey
08-04-2011, 01:09 AM
I wish I had Alcantara interior w/ leather wheel :( I love my alcantara wheel though, it would suck to have ALL leather. Wouldn't feel like a ZHP.

az3579
08-04-2011, 02:43 AM
one man's trash is another man's treasure. well worn alcantara =awesome.

I don't really know what worn alcantara is like since I've never had Alcantara before. I don't like the direction it's going though; perhaps it'll be better after a cleaning and "de-moth"ing. Just need the time to do it. lol

jayjay_dee
08-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Personally, i don't like the alcantra. I specifically set out looking for a ZHP with leather. Then I swapped the steering wheel and shift / ebrake boot to black leather to complete the look.

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/stella-fanatics/8.jpg

sna77, where did you get your leather steering wheel? how much?

got more pictures of them installed on your car?

TIA...

Hobbes
08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I really dig both, but my car has the alcantara wheel/black leather combo.

My overall preference is the combination I have- My car will never see the track so sliding isn't a problem, and I really love the feel of the alcantara wheel. In fact, I'm probably going to have it re-wrapped by cobywheel.com pretty soon.

Both materials age, but I prefer the extra clean sheen of the black leather. I don't know what it is, but it's so crisp and minimalist, just makes me smile.

To be honest, you really can't go wrong when it's a ZHP ;)

rickflairne
08-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Love the Alcantara. I have had both and both have their pros and cons. I find myself gripping my wheel with as little as 1 finger (and a thumb) to keep from any wear. It just feels so good to grip after a fresh detail.

I do miss getting to actually "clean" my leather seats though. About all I have to do is vacuum the alcantara.

llll1l1ll
08-17-2011, 03:32 AM
I have alcantara and the seats aren't that worn, but the steering wheel is. I think the previous owner just used some random carpet cleaner on the seats and wheel. The wheel is bare in some spots. I'll get it rewrapped soon!

FWIW, I set out looking for alcantara because I was getting tired of leather. I like the cloth because it's not so slid-ey.

webster
08-17-2011, 06:14 AM
after living in texas and having black leather for the past 4+ years, i was ready to be done with it. i love the alcantara/cloth seats, i can get in my car after sitting in the sun for a while and the seats are still cool. love it. only thing that sucks, as others have stated, is the wear on the steering wheel. i'll need to get mine re-wrapped soon, maybe i'll make that my x-mas present :)

aurelius
08-17-2011, 07:11 AM
after living in texas and having black leather for the past 4+ years, i was ready to be done with it. i love the alcantara/cloth seats, i can get in my car after sitting in the sun for a while and the seats are still cool. love it.

+1 on the Texas heat & sun. I do love my particular color combo (sapphire blk metallic/natural brown leather) but if I were ordering a ZHP back when they were new, I'd have gone with Alcantara interior, especially considering the up charge for leather, which was something like $1400.

...only thing that sucks, as others have stated, is the wear on the steering wheel. i'll need to get mine re-wrapped soon, maybe i'll make that my x-mas present :)

Have patience. Mine looked a lot worse at 45-50k miles than it does now at 65k. The "hairy" stuff will come off naturally, or you can speed the process by following the steering wheel cleaning DIY elsewhere on this site. I'll eventually need/want to get the wheel recovered with new Alcantara but it's ok for the moment.

das boots
08-25-2011, 11:32 AM
After going through the whole thread, I have not come upon on how to clean or take care of alcantara interiors and/or the steering wheel. Steering wheel as in not completely removing the suede. Just proper cleaning....

Marcus-SanDiego
08-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Lawrence, here you go: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?402-DIY-Restore-Your-Alcantara-Steering-Wheel

This was brought to you by ZHP Mafia Family Search.

:familysearch

das boots
08-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks Marcus. I was more inquiring into the alcantara seats maintenance and cleaning.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Sorry about that. I saw steering wheel and pounced.

danewilson77
08-25-2011, 01:24 PM
After going through the whole thread, I have not come upon on how to clean or take care of alcantara interiors and/or the steering wheel. Steering wheel as in not completely removing the suede. Just proper cleaning....

Buy the alcantara cleaner from BMW. I thought I had a thread somewheres.....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

danewilson77
08-25-2011, 01:49 PM
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/DSC04271.jpg

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hermes
08-25-2011, 03:23 PM
I have the black leather in mine but the problem I have is my car bakes in the sun. I got in my car earlier today and it must have been 120 in there.

One thing I think I read earlier was cloth vs. leather. The answer to that (and some might not like what I say) is that technically Alcantara is a cloth interior. From Wikipedia: "Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be incorrectly identified as such."

If you take your shift/handbrake boot out and look at the backing you can tell it's just fabric with a suede kinda feel. I personally replaced my boots with Alcantara cause they dont get as much wear but i have leather everywhere else