PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble deciding.... =/

Mp0wered
06-05-2011, 11:07 PM
So I'm saving up about 1.5k and I'm having trouble deciding to either spend it on suspension/brakes or performance software and a cold air intake. The suspension/brakes and performance software, i might get at ActiveAutowerkes, and the cold air from dinan. Any suggestions or where i should get it?

az3579
06-06-2011, 01:39 AM
So I'm saving up about 1.5k and I'm having trouble deciding to either spend it on suspension/brakes or performance software and a cold air intake. The suspension/brakes and performance software, i might get at ActiveAutowerkes, and the cold air from dinan. Any suggestions or where i should get it?

Suspension and brakes are far more important than performance software and a cold air intake.
These can be considered safety options. Plus, taking the corners faster > straight line speed.

Besides, the software and CAI won't really do anything for you in the speed department.

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 02:30 AM
I would go with susp/brakes. Buy a quality setup and it will treat you well.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

static667
06-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Definitely suspension.

cakM3
06-06-2011, 02:47 AM
+1

Suspension and brakes first :thumbsup

Marcus-SanDiego
06-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Yep. I would also go with brakes and suspension first.

Terry
06-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Out of curiosity what do you mean when you speak of brakes? New lines and pads? Or just maintaining your current setup? If you're talking about a 'bbk' I would think that's unnecessary, mainly cosmetic. Unless of course you'll be racing in Northern France this weekend down the Mulsanne Straight and must repeatedly bring the car down to 50mph from 150mph. That's my opinion anyway :). I think the boys hit it right, suspension and 'brakes'. The other stuff do as a cherry on the top down the road?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-06-2011, 06:41 AM
I would not put a BBK on the ZHP. The stock set up is plenty good.

johnrando
06-06-2011, 06:43 AM
I agree suspension/brakes is the answer in general. The real question is what are you trying to do with it? Are they worn and in need of replacing or are you just thinking "upgrade"? Then, are you just doing street driving or auto-x or tracking it? IMHO, if they are in good shape and you are just thinking upgrade, and it's just street driving, then maybe the answer could be the other mods, as the stock ZHP set up is great for street. Just food for thought.

spencers
06-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Besides, the software and CAI won't really do anything for you in the speed department.
I noticed a huge difference when putting Euro code on my DME.

johnrando
06-06-2011, 07:02 AM
I got the AA s/w plus an BMW Perf Intake, and while I wouldn't say the difference is huge, it does have a little more oomph. A suspension/brake upgrade would really help more on a track/auto-x than those mods from everything I've read..

GSEN820
06-06-2011, 09:43 AM
What type of suspension upgrade are you talking?

Coilovers, cup kit, springs with new shocks and struts??????

Perfromance mods are great but I for one have went after the look........

I have two cars. 325ci which is slow but looks really cool. ZHP which is going on 3 weeks old (well to me) already recieved some love in the way of matte black kidney grilles, new side markers, windscreen, trunk lip (it is a convertible so did not come with lip) rubber mats, stubby antenna. I would upgrade suspension but it is fine for now just going to put some spring in the front to take out some of the gap. It will be getting BMW PERFORMANCE Ebrake, Shift knob, and strut bar.

I have the luxury of owning a non ZHP and ZHP, the suspension is far better than I had on the 325ci. Even with the H&R cup kit I like everything about the ZHP. 325ci does handle better due to sway bars too. That is a lot of loot to spend you can put a lot into your ride.

mimalmo
06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
For $1,500 you should purchase some quality coilovers.

gr330zhp
06-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Suspension first. Skip a BBK if that's what you were planning, the ZHP's brakes are plenty. Maybe do cross-drilled rotors to keep temps down. :dunno

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
For $1,500 you should purchase some quality coilovers.

KW V2's

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

gr330zhp
06-06-2011, 08:10 PM
KW V2's

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

This. Or PSS9s

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

danewilson77
06-07-2011, 03:42 AM
This. Or PSS9s

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

+1

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

billschusteriv
06-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Mmmmmm... KWs....

Mp0wered
06-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm just doing it for the upgrade. Im not tracking my car. I will in the future just a few times only, nothing to crazy. I guess just driving it on the streets and yeah. Thanks for the suggestions! Really helped. Now i need to decide what brand of coils and brakes I need? Any suggestions? lol

Mp0wered
06-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I was just planning coilovers, rotors and brakes. nothing to to crazy but i cant find much for 1500. What do you think about this?
http://store.activeautowerke.com/coilover-kits-c5.aspx

mimalmo
06-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I love my KW's.

ModBargains guarantees the lowest price on KW's.
http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf_id=KW_E46_reg_PR

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 03:11 AM
I love my KW's.

ModBargains guarantees the lowest price on KW's.
http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf_id=KW_E46_reg_PR

+1...I would go with MB's

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

az3579
06-08-2011, 03:21 AM
When I get my CO's, I will get the Bilstein B16 system. Electronic ride height control, FTMFW.

GSEN820
06-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Seeing that you are trying to budget and not really going to track your car. I would go with ST's Suspension Techniques. You will get the most bang for your buck as they have been bought out by KW. I rode in a friends car with them, I must say that it was worth every penny. He has no intention of tracking his car, just wanted nice set of Coilovers.

Look into it. I was talking to Modbargains about this.

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Seeing that you are trying to budget and not really going to track your car. I would go with ST's Suspension Techniques. You will get the most bang for your buck as they have been bought out by KW. I rode in a friends car with them, I must say that it was worth every penny. He has no intention of tracking his car, just wanted nice set of Coilovers.

Look into it. I was talking to Modbargains about this.

Need link to ST's please....

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

GSEN820
06-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I have provided 2 links. These would be a great budget coilover in place of the KW variant 1. This fits right inline with pricing keeping under 1500 (with about $500 or so left over). It came down to ST coilovers or cup kit. I went with cup kit as there I did not have any plans on adjusting.

Here is one link from ST website relieving awards at SEMA
http://www.stsuspensions.com/rss_news-entry.php?NewsNameId=KW%20Automotive%20North%20Ame rica%20receives%20three%20prestigious%20Awards%20a t%20SEMA%202010&page=1&cat=st-in-the-press

Here is what I found on the KW site scroll to 2005
http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_history.php

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Linky I was lookin for...

http://stsuspensions-store.com/products/complete-coilover-kit/st-coilover-kit-1.html

$1149.00...isn't too bad. Wonder what the warranty is.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

GSEN820
06-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Modbargains was going to let them go to me for $200 less than the price you saw = )

That was even more reason I wanted them at the time.

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Sooo....$949.00?

What kind of reviews do they get? Warranty info?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

GSEN820
06-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I hear many opinions when it comes to coilovers. I rode in a car that had them and it felt really solid. It was just enough to really make the car handle (as we did a few times hitting some corners). He uses his car for a Daily. I was reading different post about these, but we know how some can get.

I was looking through emails for the pricing I recieved from Modbargains, I am sure with a little research ST coilovers can be found at this price. For the price and quality name backing these coilovers they seem to be a great deal.

Construction
ST Speedtech Coilovers are constructed of high grade steel, and heavy galvanized for great rust protection.
KW Coilovers are made from INOX stainless steel, which is 100% rust free.

Damper Options
ST Speedtech Coilovers offer only a non-dampening adjustable solution along with the height adjustability, just like the KW V1’s.

Warranty
ST Speedtech Coilovers offer a 5 year Limited Warranty to the original purchaser.

Features:
*Excellent all around performance, providing a balance between performance and comfort for everyday use
*High-quality components for long durability
*Use of twin-tube technology, independent reactions from damping inputs minimized chassis vibrations and increase driving dynamics
*Coilovers come with all necessary components, vehicle-specific certificate and installation