PDA

View Full Version : New member in Utah saying hello

jamesdak
06-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Stumbled onto the site yesterday while doing a bit of research on a car maintenance issue. Joined up and thought I'd drop in and introduce myself.

I've got a 2004 330ci ZHP in Orient Blue with a black leather interior. To be honest I've been wanting an M3 for years but had a hard time justifying the cost and this car was a good compromise of performance, value, and comfort.

I bought mine from a used dealership that did not realize it was a ZHP so I got a really good deal on it. Condition wise it was perfect except for some delamination of the drivers side mirror and dry rot on the rear window gaskets.

The dealership I bought it from took it to the BMW dealership for a check out prior to the purchase. The BMW dealership tried to buy it on the spot although the dealership did not tell me that until after the purchase.

Oh, did have issues with the A/C being a bit low also. Found guidance on the web and my local do it all mechanic took car of it easily. No other problems in the couple of years I've had it.

Replaced the battery this Spring and did the oil myself yesterday. Biggest problem with that was that the car would not fit on my ramps. Had to drive it up on a couple of boards to get it up high enough to reach the plug. Easy job other than that. Washed it good afterward so the car is looking and running great. Still the original cooling system with around 67,000 miles.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/111010031.jpg

Here's an old shot of my first BMW. A heavily modified 2002ti I had in Germany back in the mid 80's. The car was a hoot to drive also.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/110436221.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to say hi! Glad I found this site.:thumbsup

Alphatek45
06-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Welcome to the Mafia! Glad you found us.Nice color choice :)

danewilson77
06-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Welcome to the Family.

No comprimising with the zhp. Ranked #1 above the ///M3 as the untimate drivers BMW.

Just saying.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

kayger12
06-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Welcome to the Family.

LOVE Orient Blue.

Glad you found us.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Welcome to the site. Car looks great. Nice find.

GMATT
06-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Welcome............sweeet ride! Lots of good info here!

mimalmo
06-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Welcome. I love that 2002!

midlandtech
06-05-2011, 10:25 AM
welcome

johnrando
06-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Welcome. Glad you found us. Wealth of information here.

static667
06-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the mafia! Your ZHP is nice but the 02 was pimp.

quikryptonite
06-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Welcome to the forum. You've got a nice ride. Was it checked out at BMW of Murray? Where are you located in Utah?

Smilez
06-06-2011, 08:47 AM
WELCOME!!!

and that 2002 :drool:

Mtnman
06-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Welcome! Glad you found us.

zhpnsnv
06-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Welcome. Great cars!

jamesdak
06-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the forum. You've got a nice ride. Was it checked out at BMW of Murray? Where are you located in Utah?

It was. I'm up in the Ogden Valley so the car sits for several months of the year due to the winter conditions. That's when I press my WRX into duty. Dedicated snow tires on the Subie and all is good to go no matter what the conditions.

jamesdak
06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the mafia! Your ZHP is nice but the 02 was pimp.

Thanks, the body had a bit of rust when I got it but man would that car move. I was young and naive in those days and don't know really what all was done to the car. While it was running it was brutally fast and handled really well. When the engine finally died and we took it apart we found a shaved,ported, and polished head, dome pistons, and that the supposedly right head gasket did not fit. Took the head to a local dealership and after some time he said the engine belonged to some 70s race program and parts were not available?? Parted the car out and junked it. When I bought it the body was from an early round tail light 2002 but the engine was supposed to be a later ti engine. It did have the dual Solex side draft carbs and dual filter canister air intake like a standard ti. Oh and a nice Recaro bucket seat for the drive with a 5 point harness. I was around 140 lbs in those days and that seat hugged me like a glove. It was "leather" and had nuts/locknut setup to make seat adjustments with.

After many, many cars the ZHP has brought me closest to the feeling I used to get with the ol' 2002 but is much nicer overall.