PDA

View Full Version : Gear oil mix?

Alphatek45
06-04-2011, 10:23 AM
So the ecs differential kit came w/ 1 quart of redline. That not enough. Can't get redline locally.
Any compelling reason why I can't top it off w/ valvoline synthetic w/ same specs. I'd like to wrap it up today.

Thanks

ZHP-FTW
06-04-2011, 11:59 AM
None that I can think of. As long as both oils are the same weight, full synthetic, and have the same ratings, you should be fine. I actually just resealed my diff cover this last week and I only used 1 quart of oil. it says to use 1 liter (quart) and the bottle is .964 liters, so for me that was close enough. I don't think .36 of a liter will hurt the diff. But some people are really anal about measurements, so just my 2 cents. GL

danewilson77
06-04-2011, 01:07 PM
None that I can think of. As long as both oils are the same weight, full synthetic, and have the same ratings, you should be fine. I actually just resealed my diff cover this last week and I only used 1 quart of oil. it says to use 1 liter (quart) and the bottle is .964 liters, so for me that was close enough. I don't think .36 of a liter will hurt the diff. But some people are really anal about measurements, so just my 2 cents. GL

.036 of a liter.

I qt is enough bro. The kit came with what you need.

Alphatek45
06-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Car was level. Oil wasn't quite where the bentley said it should be. Went ahead and topped it off. Didn't take much at all though.

kayger12
06-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Yep-- mine took more than a quart as well.

No worries on the mix, Adam.

MasterC17
06-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure if I would mix different brands. Mixing the same brand is fine, but the different additives between brands could result in negative effects. Redline is Ester based and can be quirky when mixed with other conventional Group III/IV oils. Regardless, I doubt you will have any issues.

kayger12
06-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Good info, Master.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Alphatek45
06-04-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure if I would mix different brands. Mixing the same brand is fine, but the different additives between brands could result in negative effects. Redline is Ester based and can be quirky when mixed with other conventional Group III/IV oils. Regardless, I doubt you will have any issues.

Agreed. I think I'll consider today's work a "flush" and do it again with my next oil change. Its easy enough.
Probably not a good idea to mix a polyol ester oil with mineral... Or anything else really. I had a full day and wanted it done lol.

billschusteriv
06-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Sounds good. Good info.

ZHP-FTW
06-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Haha, oops, missed by a decimal point. Thanks Dane. I meant .036 isn't anything to worry about. :thumbsup

danewilson77
06-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Haha, oops, missed by a decimal point. Thanks Dane. I meant .036 isn't anything to worry about. :thumbsup

Always here for you brutha.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!