PDA

View Full Version : New ZHP Owner in Atlanta

Anferney
05-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I have been a new owner of this fine beauty for a couple weeks now. 2003 Model. Seems mostly stock. I absolutely love it.

Two questions.
1. Has anyone put on a K&N CAI and realized an actual power increase?
2. Has anyone put on the Bavauto high performance ignition coil set?

Both of these items seem like a cheap way to increase power by a couple HPs.

Comments?

Marcus-SanDiego
05-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Anferney, welcome to the site.

GMATT
05-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Welcome......much info on this site, along with nice people!

zhpnsnv
05-27-2011, 01:02 PM
I have been a new owner of this fine beauty for a couple weeks now. 2003 Model. Seems mostly stock. I absolutely love it.

Two questions.
1. Has anyone put on a K&N CAI and realized an actual power increase?
2. Has anyone put on the Bavauto high performance ignition coil set?

Both of these items seem like a cheap way to increase power by a couple HPs.

Comments?

1. You don't really put intakes on for power on these cars, especially in the absence of other major engine work. The stock unit works fine. Some say K&N filters worse than stock and is actually worse for your engine in general. Intakes make nice noises. If that's what you want it for, go for it.

2. There's really no such thing as a "high performance" ignition coil set in that there's nothing those coils or wires are going to give to beyond what the stock gives you given the stockers are in decent condition.

Those things might give you a couple (2) horsepower, but the K&N intake, if it's open, could bring hot air into the engine, which leads to losing power.

I LOVE TiAg SEDANS! Welcome!

danewilson77
05-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the Mafia. Beautiful TiAg.

I think you may gain a few, but really won't be that noticeable in the drive. May seem peppier and more throaty.

I have AFE Pro5R...and a bunch of guys are runnin the BMW Performance intake....its on sale right now.

Don't know of anyone running the coils, but would be interested in the review...on your dime...hehe.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

kayger12
05-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the family.

I opted for the BMW Performance intake.

Looks purty under the hood with a nominal hp gain reported by others (approx 6.5).

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

static667
05-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the family.

I had the Bav Auto high energy coils on my last E36. Not any noticeable horsepower gain but the car idled a little lower and smoother.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

05ZIPPYZHP
05-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Welcome,

Nice to see another local ZHP enthusiast. Can't say much for having experience with either of your questions but this is definitely the place to ask!

mimalmo
05-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Welcome.

gr330zhp
05-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Welcome!

I have an AFE ProDry intake. There arent any gains that you actually feel. I got it for the sound though, which in 3rd at 4k rpm, the sound is godly! Plus being the prodry you dont have to worry about oiling as well as ruining your MAF :dunno

Mtnman
05-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Welcome! I have to agree with the rest. The BMW Perf. intake sounds great and looks good, but no one has realized much hp gain from any we have tried here. Dont know about the coil set, but with this many people looking for cheap HP gains.........doubt it will be the golden egg....but try it and report back to us!

johnrando
05-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Welcome! I have to agree with the rest. The BMW Perf. intake sounds great and looks good, but no one has realized much hp gain from any we have tried here. Dont know about the coil set, but with this many people looking for cheap HP gains.........doubt it will be the golden egg....but try it and report back to us!

Welcome, and, +1 to above comments. I have the BMW Perf Intake. Like it, better sound, butt dyno likes it. Not an overwhelming mod, but I'd do it again. Definitely good engine eye candy.