PDA

View Full Version : Bavarian Motorwerks CF Diffuser?

johnrando
05-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Saw a CF diffuser at bimmerfest and I really like it. Anyone have any experience with Bavarian Motorwerks? These come from Taiwan. Any other options? There are a few on ebay but this seemed legit, and from reading old posts (very old unfortunately) these people seem to be reputable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E46-ZHP-MTEC-MTECH-2-CARBON-FIBER-REAR-DIFFUSER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b98059ffQQitemZ14055 1150079QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_3459wt_1170

EDIT: Found another one. Thoughts?
http://www.exquisitemotorsports.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=E464D2DMTRDCF

TRELO
05-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I would like to know also. I'm so tempted to order eBay one

Opa iPhone

kayger12
05-21-2011, 02:58 AM
You can by an oem cf diffuser from BMW here http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=467001&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462

Have it on my car and love it.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 07:35 AM
You can by an oem cf diffuser from BMW here http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=467001&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462

$500.00, cough, cough....

TRELO
05-21-2011, 08:50 AM
$500.00, cough, cough....

Trelo 2nds that

Marcus-SanDiego
05-21-2011, 08:50 AM

^^^Daddy Warbucks

iZHP
05-21-2011, 08:55 AM
I personally would not buy the Taiwanese one in fear of bad fitment...

Marcus-SanDiego
05-21-2011, 09:15 AM
I personally would not buy the Taiwanese one in fear of bad fitment...

That's my problem too.

Knowing me, I would spring for the BMW part (knowing that the fit will be outstanding).

Dean
05-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I am going to try to take on the project of creating a mold and making my own carbon fiber diffusor. It may take a little while, however my goal is to be able to replicate the splitter multiple times while have a quality carbon fiber product. I learned a lot about carbon fiber fabrication from my father after he had training on aircraft structural components involving carbon fiber. I'm not sure about the material of the eBay or other diffusers as far as 100% carbon fiber goes, because im pretty sure most have a plastic or fiberglass base which is then wrapped in CF. If I create the mold, I plan to make the components entirely out of carbon fiber. I have to plan out the process in which I will create the components (room temp cure, vacuum sealed and oven baked, clear coat as opposed to natural shine of the CF resin) also I have to analyze strength concerns due to the fact that it is not a structural part. More strength=costlier product. I'm done with my essay however, and for those of you interested, stay tuned!

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 10:00 AM
^^^Daddy Warbucks

He's going by "Baller" now. Just what I heard.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 10:02 AM
I am going to try to take on the project of creating a mold and making my own carbon fiber diffusor. It may take a little while, however my goal is to be able to replicate the splitter multiple times while have a quality carbon fiber product. I learned a lot about carbon fiber fabrication from my father after he had training on aircraft structural components involving carbon fiber. I'm not sure about the material of the eBay or other diffusers as far as 100% carbon fiber goes, because im pretty sure most have a plastic or fiberglass base which is then wrapped in CF. If I create the mold, I plan to make the components entirely out of carbon fiber. I have to plan out the process in which I will create the components (room temp cure, vacuum sealed and oven baked, clear coat as opposed to natural shine of the CF resin) also I have to analyze strength concerns due to the fact that it is not a structural part. More strength=costlier product. I'm done with my essay however, and for those of you interested, stay tuned!

In for updates. May want to start a new project thread, that you can update periodically.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

kayger12
05-21-2011, 10:17 AM
He's going by "Baller" now. Just what I heard.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Lol-- not quite-- the cf diffuser was on the car when I bought it. To be honest, it could be aftermarket for all I know. I always assumed it was the BMW one due to the look and fitment.

I'll have to poke around when I'm back out there with the Porter Cable and see if I can figure it out.

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Lol-- not quite-- the cf diffuser was on the car when I bought it. To be honest, it could be aftermarket for all I know. I always assumed it was the BMW one due to the look and fitment.

I'll have to poke around when I'm back out there with the Porter Cable and see if I can figure it out.

Of course it's the oem one. Rockstars only have oem stuff on their cars....

TRELO
05-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Well if it's not oem. Order am oem one and I'll take your jdm made diffuser. $56.78 shipped.

LOL

Opa iPhone

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Well if it's not oem. Order am oem one and I'll take your jdm made diffuser. $56.78 shipped.

LOL

Opa iPhone

Heck...I would even be gracious enough to just let him send me the oem one for 89.97 shipped.

TRELO
05-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Heck...I would even be gracious enough to just let him send me the oem one for 89.97 shipped.

You're a deal maker. The end.

Opa iPhone

lilcdkey
05-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm interested too..

kayger12
05-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Man-- take 7 or 8 hours off to detail a car, and my diffuser gets sold right out from under me...

billschusteriv
05-21-2011, 01:40 PM
I like the diffuser mod.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I'd take KG's diffuser for $100.

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 02:41 PM
$101...

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
05-21-2011, 03:40 PM
$102

Dean
05-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Tell you what, Il give you 40 bucks for it.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll1ipgvBim1qf9qfwo1_500.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
05-21-2011, 04:56 PM
^^ :rofl

Sockethead
05-21-2011, 05:04 PM
I bought a CF diffuser & splitters from Smilez when he was with Eurodyne. I had to tweak it to get it to fit but it wasn't that bad for the price. The diffuser's been holding up well but the splitters have taken a beating from driving 100+ hiway miles everyday. For the price, they were worth it though.
I did a review of them over at BFC. It's funny Dane, looking at the review, you were the first to respond to it... haha
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302044

You guys can check 'em out at the meet in a couple of weeks....

Forgot to say that the review has pics too

johnrando
05-21-2011, 09:27 PM
@Keith - thanks for the heads up. $500 is a little much for my wallet though - but I am concerned about fit 'n finish.
@Dean - you and I are going to be best friends. I'm feeling money flowing your way for a homemade CF diffuser and a homemade exhaust/header set up. BTW, I don't even care if it's real CF. In fact, real CF sounds expensive, no? (did I just turn French)?
@anyone bidding for Keith's diffuser - I permanently up your bid +$1.00.
@sockethead - do they still sell those?

Sockethead
05-22-2011, 05:03 AM
I think Eurodyne got bought out by someone else... can't remeber who..

Marcus-SanDiego
05-22-2011, 05:32 AM
I think Eurodyne got bought out by someone else... can't remeber who..

Yes. Jim Powell's company, DDM Tuning, bought Euro-Dyne.

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Yes. Jim Powell's company, DDM Tuning, bought Euro-Dyne.

But there's still a Euro-dyne division...correct?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
05-22-2011, 06:31 AM
I'd have to ask Jim about that. Last I heard, Euro-Dyne was a division of DDM Tuning.

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 06:34 AM
I'd have to ask Jim about that. Last I heard, Euro-Dyne was a division of DDM Tuning.

Lolwut?

I thought that's what I asked? Hehe. Boss....you craaaaazy.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
05-22-2011, 06:40 AM
You asked if Euro-Dyne was a separate division. I said I was not sure. As a result, I would have to ask Jim directly -- to get a definitive answer.

No? :biggrin

Sockethead
05-22-2011, 06:43 AM
I just checked DDM and all I see are the CF splitters.
On Eurodyne, I don't see either but if I remember right, I PM'd Smilze and he got them for me eventhough they weren't listed on the site...

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 06:45 AM
I just checked DDM and all I see are the CF splitters.
On Eurodyne, I don't see either but if I remember right, I PM'd Smilze and he got them for me eventhough they weren't listed on the site...

Ray is not affiliated with Euro-dyne anymoar.....

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Sockethead
05-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Ray is not affiliated with Euro-dyne anymoar.....

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

I know. I should of added that one could call over there and see if it could be ordered...:dunno

Dean
05-22-2011, 08:51 AM
@Keith - thanks for the heads up. $500 is a little much for my wallet though - but I am concerned about fit 'n finish.
@Dean - you and I are going to be best friends. I'm feeling money flowing your way for a homemade CF diffuser and a homemade exhaust/header set up. BTW, I don't even care if it's real CF. In fact, real CF sounds expensive, no? (did I just turn French)?
@anyone bidding for Keith's diffuser - I permanently up your bid +$1.00.
@sockethead - do they still sell those?

Well, what is comes down to is really what you guys want. A full carbon fiber diffusor would be on the expensive side, however definitely not 500 dollars. The cheaper more economic way is to do two to three layers of carbon fiber, and two to three more fiberglass layers on the inside for added strength without using the expensive carbon fiber. Both can be done, and one is half the price (obviously the carbon/fiberglass mix) . Just to confirm though, I would be using 100 percent real carbon fiber, not dyed fibers of some other material. As well as epoxy resin, which is uv resistant and makes for a quality flexible product in comparison with polyester resin which is more brittle and yellows over time. The polyester resin is cheaper, and when buying cheap carbon fiber parts, it is often used and then coated with clear coat to protect the finish.

Now the headers and exhaust, that is a more complicated job....it could be done, however I am going to need a lot more practice before I'm proficient in making such a complex mold. In addition to this the material would be 100 percent carbon fiber throughout, and would have 6+ layers. It would definitely be expensive.

Just a side note:

If people just want CF WRAPPED parts,there is a sponsor on the site to help with that stuff :)

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 09:14 AM
As a reminder as well.....we have a sponsor of the site that provides CF wrapping services.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Dean
05-22-2011, 09:30 AM
As a reminder as well.....we have a sponsor of the site that provides CF wrapping services.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Took care of it :)

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Took care of it :)

It's all good Dean. Just wanted to make sure people knew as well. That's all.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?43-Carbon-Effects.com

Dean
05-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Of course, gotta give sponsors some love.

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Of course, gotta give sponsors some love.

Of course. I don't believe he offers a solid CF diffuser though.

Dean
05-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Oh I'm still going to attempt that, don't worry :)

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Hehe.....great.

Sockethead
05-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Dean, you bring up a good point. The parts I reviewed are ovelays...

Dean
05-22-2011, 12:33 PM
And it makes sense when it comes to aesthetics. Most of us do not require a 100 percent carbon fiber part for most applications..Im still doing my homework and adding up prices. Pay day is wednesday (not this week, next week) so once I have some extra money im going to start. I have decided my first mold will be carbon fiber mirror covers to replace the body colored OEM mirror covers.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Of course. I don't believe he offers a solid CF diffuser though.

I don't believe that Bill does a full CF diffuser.

johnrando
05-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I was thinking that by the time I removed mine, shipped it to Canada (that's where our sponsor is, right?), got it wrapped, and got it back, it might be worth just buying another one already wrapped, or having someone who can wrap mine w/o shipping.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I was thinking that by the time I removed mine, shipped it to Canada (that's where our sponsor is, right?), got it wrapped, and got it back, it might be worth just buying another one already wrapped, or having someone who can wrap mine w/o shipping.

Yeah. I bet it's not cheap to have the whole thing done in CF. Shoot Bill a note. See what he'd charge.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I got an answer on Euro Dyne and its relationship to DDM:

DDM, as we all know, bought Euro Dyne. Euro Dyne was supposed to sell high end products. However, the company went to crap when one of the main employees started stealing stuff. The company is no longer active.

There is another Euro Dyne in Canada. It doesn't have any affiliation with the Euro Dyne that was located in Southern California.

Sockethead
05-27-2011, 07:49 PM
I got an answer on Euro Dyne and its relationship to DDM:

DDM, as we all know, bought Euro Dyne. Euro Dyne was supposed to sell high end products. However, the company went to crap when one of the main employees started stealing stuff. The company is no longer active.

There is another Euro Dyne in Canada. It doesn't have any affiliation with the Euro Dyne that was located in Southern California.

Good info... tnx for the follow up

thesixsins
05-28-2011, 09:30 AM

If you make this I'll buy it. I also have some creative ideas for other parts. Pm me if you want to discuss.

danewilson77
05-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Good seeing you Six!

thesixsins
05-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks man!

This guy made his own splitters. http://http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821594 (http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821594)

I want these!

danewilson77
05-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Nice....

PKR
05-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Count me as "interested". As others have said, I can't see any real world benefits to doing them in 100% CF.

Sockethead
05-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks man!

This guy made his own splitters. http://http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821594 (http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821594)

I want these!

Interesting... they look more like M3 splitters...

Au2bahn
05-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Nothing beats OEM quality but the price is a disadvantage. I have the OEM BMW Performance Mtech II CF splitter and they are definitely top notch authentic carbon fibre. I know some people who purchased replica diffusers and always had fitment issues one way or another which makes me stay away from the replicas and shoot for OEM.

Since BMW is lowering prices on certain BMW Performance products, Im hoping they may do the same on the diffusers.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Nothing beats OEM quality but the price is a disadvantage. I have the OEM BMW Performance Mtech II CF splitter and they are definitely top notch authentic carbon fibre. I know some people who purchased replica diffusers and always had fitment issues one way or another which makes me stay away from the replicas and shoot for OEM.

Since BMW is lowering prices on certain BMW Performance products, Im hoping they may do the same on the diffusers.

+1

Au2bahn
06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, BMW Performance Mtech II CF diffuser has been discontinued. Sucks.

thesixsins
06-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately, BMW Performance Mtech II CF diffuser has been discontinued. Sucks.

I just came from my dealer trying to get the carbon strut brace and he showed ZERO in the system. Anyone know where I can order it!?

kayger12
06-02-2011, 02:03 PM
I just came from my dealer trying to get the carbon strut brace and he showed ZERO in the system. Anyone know where I can order it!?

Only place I've seen them anymore are on Ebay-- and they are running anywhere from $800-$1k. C-R-azy...

Sockethead
06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Did he look in Canada? I've had the dealer find stuff there that wasn't in the states...

thesixsins
06-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Did he look in Canada? I've had the dealer find stuff there that wasn't in the states...

I'll email him on that.

Sockethead
06-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I could of sworm Otto's BMW in West Chester PA had one on display in the show room when I was there a few weeks ago....

johnrando
06-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I could of sworm Otto's BMW in West Chester PA had one on display in the show room when I was there a few weeks ago....

A strut brace or a diffuser?

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Just send your's to Bill and have him CF wrap it.

Sockethead
06-02-2011, 04:30 PM
A strut brace or a diffuser?
strut brace...

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 05:46 PM
OK....now I'm lost. Thread title = CF Diffuser.

I must have missed a post or two.

Just get this one. It's pretty much just eye candy anyways. It's the one I have. Simple install.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Suspension/Strut_Bar/ES10997/
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/8712_x600.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/8713_x600-1.jpg

johnrando
06-02-2011, 06:28 PM
No worries DW, the post did somehow move from diffusers to both diffusers and strut braces. But, maybe we can close the strut brace discussion and open that up in a separate thread if anyone has more strut brace questions.

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 06:37 PM
No worries DW, the post did somehow move from diffusers to both diffusers and strut braces. But, maybe we can close the strut brace discussion and open that up in a separate thread if anyone has more strut brace questions.

That sounded very moderatorish John. You out for my job?

Lol.

Great idea...srsly.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

johnrando
06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
That sounded very moderatorish John. You out for my job?

Lol.

Great idea...srsly.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

I've adapted my life to WWDWD, and then I do that. "What would DW do?" :)

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I've adapted my life to WWDWD, and then I do that. "What would DW do?" :)

That's awesome. Thanks :danehappy

Hey Boss....anyway to get me a moar manlier, happy smiley. Feeling a lil.....idk.....you know.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
That's awesome. Thanks :danehappy

Hey Boss....anyway to get me a moar manlier, happy smiley. Feeling a lil.....idk.....you know.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Sorry, DW. Hehe.

I will see what I can find. I will keep that smiley too.

danewilson77
06-03-2011, 03:04 AM
Lol.....Mmmmmm

johnrando
06-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I bought a CF diffuser & splitters from Smilez when he was with Eurodyne. I had to tweak it to get it to fit but it wasn't that bad for the price. The diffuser's been holding up well but the splitters have taken a beating from driving 100+ hiway miles everyday. For the price, they were worth it though.
I did a review of them over at BFC. It's funny Dane, looking at the review, you were the first to respond to it... haha
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302044

You guys can check 'em out at the meet in a couple of weeks....

Forgot to say that the review has pics too

So how much did you pay for the Euro-dyne diffuser new if you don't mind me asking? PM'd you too, if that's better.

Sockethead
06-03-2011, 06:15 PM
I responded to your PM cause I saw that first :)

johnrando
06-03-2011, 06:32 PM

Nothing in my inbox. Could you resend?

INDY|UND3RGROUND
06-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Anybody with a coupe may be interested. "Autocarbon.de" a German carbon fiber manufacturer makes a very nice, high quality CF diffuser. As many of you may know, bimmian.com is a distributes and or sells their products. They sell their rear m-tech coupe diffuser on bimmian for around $350, I believe.

http://www.bimmian.com/46/CRD/

johnrando
06-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Anybody with a coupe may be interested. "Autocarbon.de" a German carbon fiber manufacturer makes a very nice, high quality CF diffuser. As many of you may know, bimmian.com is a distributes and or sells their products. They sell their rear m-tech coupe diffuser on bimmian for around $350, I believe.

http://www.bimmian.com/46/CRD/

I had no idea, thanks! Wonder if the Euro-dynes are as good as these, I found a new one that I can potentially buy from an owner.

johnrando
06-03-2011, 07:28 PM
They do group buys of 5 or more. Anyone interested?

johnrando
06-03-2011, 07:51 PM

Now your inbox is full! lol. I got your PM. I have a line on a new one from someone local for $200 and I was just wondering about what they went for new.

INDY|UND3RGROUND
06-04-2011, 03:56 AM
I had no idea, thanks! Wonder if the Euro-dynes are as good as these, I found a new one that I can potentially buy from an owner.

From what I've seen from the company they do make very high quality, long lasting carbon fiber. It won't discolor over time due to cheap resins and the weave is flawless.

Sockethead
06-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I can tell you that the one I got wasn't made by Eurodyne. I forget who's it was.

Here's a pic of mine after two years:

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/DSC_0213-1.jpg

danewilson77
06-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Liked^

Au2bahn
06-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Definitely interested in a high quality CF diffuser or Autocarbon but out of stock.