PDA

View Full Version : Dice Mediabridge vs USA Spec

2004_blue_zhp
05-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi all,

Just bought a 2004 ZHP coupe. It came with a Dice Silverline unit installed, but it doesn't work with my iPhone4 so I'm going to switch to something else.

What do you guys think of the Dice Mediabridge and the USA Spec. Bluetooth would be nice, but it's not a must. From what I've read, the USA Spec is bombproof, but the Mediabridge trades off some stability for extra features. I intend to do almost all of my song selection from the iPhone so I'm not terribly concerned with the "music navigation" features that are controlled from the wheel/headunit. That said, I'd like the solution to display song titles/etc.

Thoughts?

Marcus-SanDiego
05-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I know a couple of guys have dealt with this issue before.

Here's one: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1743-USA-Spec-PA12-iPod-iPhone-adapter

And here's an install and review that Shadowpuck did on the DICE unit: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?242-DIY-Dice-Mediabridge-Radio-Interface-for-BMW-E46

And here's some information that Eli provided on the Dension: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?565-Need-iPod-integration-kit&p=8950#post8950

mimalmo
05-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Check out the Dension setup too.

2004_blue_zhp
05-02-2011, 04:52 PM
It looks like none of the dension products for the '04 3 series will do bluetooth, text display and aux in at the same time, is that right?

Do you guys know if the medibridge will use the steering wheel "talking man" button?

az3579
05-02-2011, 05:02 PM
It looks like none of the dension products for the '04 3 series will do bluetooth, text display and aux in at the same time, is that right?

Do you guys know if the medibridge will use the steering wheel "talking man" button?

Looking on Dension's website reveals that the Dension Gateway Five does all of those; bluetooth, text display, and aux. I can't vouch for this unit as I don't have it, though.
I have the Gateway 100 (GW33BM1). It is the ONLY unit that I personally have considered as it does EVERYTHING I want it to do. To me, album browsing and seamless integrated were a must, which ruled out pretty much everything except the DICE unit. The massive amounts of issues with the DICE, however, ruled itself out, which left on the Dension.

I've been meaning to make a review video on the Dension 300's features for months now but just never had the time to really sit and make a video and edit it afterwards. It's still on my to-do list though. If enough people request it, I'll bump it up the priority list.

I would have preferred Bluetooth as well, but in the end I found that I shouldn't be making calls in the car anyway as it's highly distracting, so I stopped having conversations in the car with my Bluetooth headset, so the lack of this feature doesn't bother me one bit. Don't know how you are on the issue, but if you absolutely need BT, perhaps a look at the Five would be worth it. When I asked my installer about it, he said he doesn't recommend the Five, however. I don't remember the reasons though.

EDIT: Just checked again, and the Five is only available for E46 models with the 16:9 navigation unit. Does yours have Nav?

2004_blue_zhp
05-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Unfortunately, no nav for me, just the business CD.

Looks like you're in Bridgeport, CT. I'm in NYC. Any installers you trust/would recommend? If I decide to skip the BT, it sounds like you think the Dension >> Dice. Any particular reason why?

az3579
05-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately, no nav for me, just the business CD.

This is actually a good thing. You'll find less compatible units with the nav.

Looks like you're in Bridgeport, CT. I'm in NYC. Any installers you trust/would recommend? If I decide to skip the BT, it sounds like you think the Dension >> Dice. Any particular reason why?

It's actually a very easy install. I only had it installed for me because I got an offer from the guy I bought it from (he has a shop in NJ) to install it for free if he could make a general video of the install and put it on his YouTube channel. He didn't have any vids for an E46, so I said what the hey. I watched him do it and it didn't take that long to do; it's supposed to be a plug & play unit. Mine took a little longer than usual because I had the OEM iPod unit installed, so we had to "undo" that.

I would buy the Dension over the DICE because I've read page after page after page of problems that people have had with DICE units. Just Google "DICE issues" or "DICE problems" and you'll get endless threads on it. I didn't want to take the chance, and am very glad I went with the Dension.

JFS
07-09-2011, 02:31 AM
It's actually a very easy install. I only had it installed for me because I got an offer from the guy I bought it from (he has a shop in NJ)

Thinking of purchsing the GW33BM1 unit. Did you get it installed from EnfigCarStereo?
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/contact.html

Thanks.

az3579
07-09-2011, 02:38 AM
Thinking of purchsing the GW33BM1 unit. Did you get it installed from EnfigCarStereo?
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/contact.html

Thanks.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. :)

Washburn
07-09-2011, 01:38 PM
USA Spec is great - solid product, and functions flawlessly, easy install - love mine.

SC4ME
07-11-2011, 05:06 PM
great info in this thread. exactly why i like coming around here (should do it more often!)

Marcus-SanDiego
07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
great info in this thread. exactly why i like coming around here (should do it more often!)

You should definitely hang around here more often!

2004_blue_zhp
07-11-2011, 07:40 PM
SC4ME...I went with the Mediabridge...I wanted bluetooth and didn't want to go with the more expensive units with a video screen that replace the stock stereo. I had one issue with a noise when the unit updated the radio display. If the unit is set to "scroll" text on the screen, this is super-annoying since it makes a clicking noise once/second. One person suggested that a "headunit" install might avoid that issue (mine is a trunk hookup install). Another suggested turning off scrolling. I went that route and absolutely no noise since. Otherwise, I really like the mediabridge. Bluetooth works great. Ipod/iphone integration works great. I put my device behind the glovebox and routed the cables to the sunglass cubby. Totally "stealth". One very cool feature is the bluetooth audio playback. I can get into my car, let my iPhone auto pair w. the bluetooth, use the steering wheel to activate voice dialing, say "play playlist driving music", and it just works...all without my phone leaving my pocket. Nice. And, of course, if I do plug it in, it charges. Works for me.

yura
07-11-2011, 08:16 PM
My Dice Silverline Duo works with the iPhone 4, but I hate the unit. My buddy feels similarly about his own. Cheaply made product, tons of bugs, constant problems. It recently gave out on me while I was 2 days drive away from home, and wouldn't work until I came home, pulled it out, and updated the firmware. Pain in the ass.

Used to have a USA Spec on my previous car and it was a solid problem - not a single issue over the two years I had it.