PDA

View Full Version : Noise When Reversing

ElNiko
04-16-2024, 05:39 PM
Hi all, long time no post from Texas. My 2005 automatic 330i ZHP sedan just hit 130,000 miles on my home from work today which is pretty cool. Within the last few days it has begun to make a weird grinding type noise when reversing and going forward for a few miles after initial start-up. After a few miles it is fine and there is no noise when stopping and restarting after being warm. I found on a forum someone with what sounded as similar issue to mine which I posted below in quotes. Have any of you encountered this and could it be something different? If it is indeed the wear sensor am I doing further harm by continuing to drive with it loose? Any guidance much appreciated.

"Brake wear sensor had come lose, and was getting stuck between the brake caliper and wheel rim."

Oli77
04-17-2024, 04:55 PM
hmmmm, if brake wear sensor comes loose, you could try putting it back in its spot.
Do you have a brake warning light on in the cluster?
It is such a small piece of metal that I have a hard seeing this causing a "grinding" sound.
But I could be wrong and will let others chime in.

BADCLOWN
05-31-2024, 04:57 PM
Can you tell where the noise specifically is coming from?

I’m agreeing, I’d find it hard to believe that a wear sensor would make that noise.

danewilson77
06-04-2024, 11:25 AM
Brake pad wear sensor is an easy look. Any feedback or update? You should be able to pop your head under there and see if it became unseated from the pad. Or even look through the rim.

thinkpad240
06-04-2024, 07:15 PM
I had grinding and clunk noises from going Reverse, since I got the car used in 2017. I've been driving it since. I've had my car lifted by my mechanics on so many other ocassions for other issues to fixes\replacements, and the noise is still there. I learned to live with it.