PDA

View Full Version : Trim Panel with broken tab installation

Fried_Chicken
09-13-2022, 07:30 AM
Anyone know what to do about the dashboard trim panels with broken tabs? Any trick there?

I've tried JB weld plastic and whatnot, but it refuses to install right. My tabs are pretty much all broken, but I still have those aluminum thingies.

John in VA
09-13-2022, 08:06 AM
Try 3M thin double-sided foam tape.

Fried_Chicken
09-13-2022, 06:18 PM
Does it hold? I feel like tape comes off with time.

John in VA
09-14-2022, 03:28 AM
3M tape is used to hold body parts on - get the proper stuff.

Fried_Chicken
09-14-2022, 08:10 AM
I'll give it a shot. I think I have some. Where is it best applied?

BavarianZHP
09-14-2022, 09:33 AM
I can vouch for 3M. It'll keep it retained and you can also vary how much you use. The only "concern" I would have, if all of my pins were broken, would be in case of a bad accident. I wouldn't want any trim pieces flying around when airbags are being deployed and such. Just something to keep in mind when you mount them. The pins really do hold them in very securely for a reason.

Fried_Chicken
09-16-2022, 12:08 PM
Where exactly do you apply it?

I found this stuff:
https://www.rshughes.com/p/3M-4492-White-Double-Coated-Foam-Tape-1-In-Width-X-72-Yd-Length-1-32-In-Thick-24315/021200_24315/

Which can be used up to 158°F. I just tried with some other 2-sided tape I have, but I had no clue where/how to apply it that it would stick.

John in VA
09-16-2022, 04:47 PM
Apply the tape to the flattest part of the trim & dash, between where the spikes & plugs should be.

Fried_Chicken
09-16-2022, 08:56 PM
So tape to the plugs not the dashboard?

sillieidiot
09-17-2022, 08:15 AM
I usually use PascoFix's superglue to fix stuff like that. My body shop guy was the one that showed me what he uses. You still got to prep the area, clean/sand a bit. if there's a gap, use the filler to bridge it. It's like the strongest super glue I've ever used lol It doesn't sound like you have the plastic pieces that hold the aluminum things anymore but should still work.

https://www.amazon.com/Strongest-Materials-Plastic-Industrial-Adhesive/dp/B07RYN1TJN/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

As for 3M double sided tape. You're probably going to want the VHB ones. Most of the 3M double-sided tape are pressure activated, so you got to push and kind of wiggle it for good adhesion. You can use adhesion promoter too if you want, but then it would be such a bitch to take off later lol

Fried_Chicken
09-18-2022, 07:16 AM
I have all the metal thingies and plastic thingies. What if I have to remove the trim later?

sillieidiot
09-20-2022, 11:08 AM
I have all the metal thingies and plastic thingies. What if I have to remove the trim later?

I was talking about the plastic part that holds the aluminum on the trim side. I assumed you lost those pieces. Not the orange pieces that are on the dash that hold them in.

Well, the superglue would just be for the pin to the trim itself. then you just push it in like normal. And it comes out with the trim when you remove them.

for the VHB tape, you can take it out still, it's just harder. You could heat it up a bit with a hair dryer before you pull.

Fried_Chicken
09-20-2022, 01:13 PM
Yeah I have all the mounting hardware, but trying to glue the aluminum pins to the plastic didn't work for me.

thinkpad240
11-14-2022, 01:16 AM
For the long trim over the glove box, I put thick velcro from Home Depot, in multiple spots on the trim piece and opposing side. I only had one good pin left holding it. But this fix held it up well. Once a year or twice, the adhesive will fall off due to high summer temp over 110F. I just jab it back on.

Fried_Chicken
11-23-2022, 05:53 PM
I used E6000 and some plastic epoxy shit to glue the metal trim pieces to the panel, then replaced the red things with these I got on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6KM991?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It worked a charm.