PDA

View Full Version : Braking vs Downshifting to Slow

Dathaeus
09-12-2022, 05:19 PM
So I don't replace my brakes much at all because I tend to slow in gear rather than use the brakes, unless I of course have to slow down quickly or in the last 10-20 feet of a stop light etc. where I slightly massage the brakes.

So I was wondering if I am missing any pros/cons for his?

I think by using engine braking you save brakes but you waste a little gas matching engine speed while downshifting and if not done properly you might wear out the clutch prematurely.

Any other major factors, i.e., does engine braking by itself really wear out components or cause damage if downshifting properly?

san
09-13-2022, 04:42 AM
It’s going add additional wear not just on the clutch but on the engine as well.
If you’re doing this to purely save brakes, then I’d say it’s easier to change brakes than a clutch…

Having said that, I do rev match and downshift as much as I can cause I like to do it, not to reduce wear on the brakes on anything like that…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galapolis
09-13-2022, 05:44 AM
Engine braking is mostly useful in the snow, when I'm just daily driving in normal conditions I usually switch to neutral and use brakes to slow down before a light or corner. Keeps the pads up to temp as well that way.

BADCLOWN
09-13-2022, 05:47 AM
I normally don't rev match/downshift solely to slow the car down. Typically I do it in anticipation of making a turn, entering a parking lot, spirited driving, etc.

I'm no mechanical expert but I can only assume it adds additional wear to the clutch simply because you are increasing its use outside of shifting gears. That being said, if you are rev matching/doing it right, I don't think its harmful.

az3579
09-13-2022, 09:39 AM
In normal driving, you wear a clutch by introducing heat, which mainly happens when it's slipping. Otherwise clutch wear is super negligible. Engine wear is also super negligible. Engine braking is a normal function of the engine; it's designed to withstand it.

Do whatever works for you.

I slow down by downshifting only when I know for a fact I won't have to stop, such as when I know the light is going to turn green by the time I get there. If I'm definitely going to stop then I use the brakes.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Dathaeus
09-13-2022, 08:21 PM
Engine braking is mostly useful in the snow, when I'm just daily driving in normal conditions I usually switch to neutral and use brakes to slow down before a light or corner. Keeps the pads up to temp as well that way.

Pads up to temp while the braking is happening or overall in the life of the car (which doesnt make sense to me)....
Seems like optimal temp only matters if you are anticipating hard braking like downhill racing and you are prepping the temp for the hard braking corner for slightly better performance but then anything more it can also overheat so......

Dathaeus
09-13-2022, 08:21 PM
In normal driving, you wear a clutch by introducing heat, which mainly happens when it's slipping. Otherwise clutch wear is super negligible. Engine wear is also super negligible. Engine braking is a normal function of the engine; it's designed to withstand it.

Do whatever works for you.

I slow down by downshifting only when I know for a fact I won't have to stop, such as when I know the light is going to turn green by the time I get there. If I'm definitely going to stop then I use the brakes.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Pretty much exactly my thinking, thanks!

Galapolis
09-14-2022, 03:06 AM
Pads up to temp while the braking is happening or overall in the life of the car (which doesnt make sense to me)....
Seems like optimal temp only matters if you are anticipating hard braking like downhill racing and you are prepping the temp for the hard braking corner for slightly better performance but then anything more it can also overheat so......

Up to temp for the drive of course. Temp matters because they won't bite if they are cold. Overheating is not an issue. Underheating is though.

JJR4884
09-14-2022, 05:58 AM
I've always engine braked in my prior e46 for 15 years. She happily went 250k miles with the original clutch and still drives strong. One thing to consider - rev matching every single gear on the way down is a bit excessive unless you're having fun on a spirited drive. If I'm driving casually I can usually role to an almost stop with just one downshift, maybe two.

Our cars will happily decelerate down to that last 10-15mph in 3rd gear, so if you are driving at any speed, you can easily stay in top gear until 40ish miles an hour, downshift to 3rd, then engage the clutch and use the brakes to stop once your RPMs hit idle speed. Rowing every single gear on the say down is a bit much for daily driving. 2nd gear has its uses as well but if I'm driving fast enough, I usually downshift to 3rd at the right time and then let it be from there.

Fried_Chicken
09-20-2022, 08:52 AM
If you engine brake, your ECU shuts off the injectors saving gas. You can see it on the needle as it goes to infinity mpg.

That said, brakes cost less than engines, but in this case I really don't think it matters.

Dathaeus
09-21-2022, 07:35 PM
I've always engine braked in my prior e46 for 15 years. She happily went 250k miles with the original clutch and still drives strong. One thing to consider - rev matching every single gear on the way down is a bit excessive unless you're having fun on a spirited drive. If I'm driving casually I can usually role to an almost stop with just one downshift, maybe two.

Our cars will happily decelerate down to that last 10-15mph in 3rd gear, so if you are driving at any speed, you can easily stay in top gear until 40ish miles an hour, downshift to 3rd, then engage the clutch and use the brakes to stop once your RPMs hit idle speed. Rowing every single gear on the say down is a bit much for daily driving. 2nd gear has its uses as well but if I'm driving fast enough, I usually downshift to 3rd at the right time and then let it be from there.

Ya agreed.... I only down every gear when I just feel like "practicing" but otherwise ya 3rd is a good one to come to near stop and then massage the brakes.

I cant honestly remember when I put in my ceramic brakes... my local ZHP friend did it with me and it might almost be a decade LOL... I been so paranoid with that I asked the last shop again to please check my brakes, even the dealer said it was ok so I am sure its fine.