PDA

View Full Version : New Rear Shock Cost etc....

Dathaeus
01-19-2022, 10:07 AM
Ran over something on the street a month ago...

Contacted the city and they want me to fill out a form and see if they can reimburse me, I am not hopeful.

Since the run over, the car has been making some loose noises back there so last time I went to get new tired at PepBoys I had them take a look and they said the rear shocks need replacing, $282.

1. Is that a reasonable price and isn't it a simple enough job to have them do it, or if that is expensive I might as well take it to a BMW shop and pay about the same

2. Is it advisable always to replace both/all 4 shocks on that side or that doesnt matter? Have never replaced them since I have owned it from 2014.

az3579
01-19-2022, 10:43 AM
That price sounds about right for a pair of rear Sachs shocks. Just make sure they don't use a cheapo shitty brand.

Rear shocks are super easy to install and they really shouldn't be charging you a whole lot for labor.

Replace shocks in pairs; you shouldn't need to do the fronts if they're not broken, but definitely do both rears.

Galapolis
01-19-2022, 11:49 AM
Rear dampers are only $64 per unit if buying Sachs: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-shock-absorber-rear-e36-e46-sachs-556-882

$282 is a major ripoff, assuming we are talking dampers only (not clear from original post).

John in VA
01-19-2022, 02:41 PM
You might also consider replacing the upper shock mounts while you're in there.
https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogue-Engineering-E30E36E46-Rear-Shock-Mount-Pair_p_270.html

Or at least the Lemforder mount with shock mount reinforcement. This listing is for the coupe, so make the changes to see sedan parts if they might differ:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/330Ci/?year=2006&m=20&e=180&t=6&b=9&d=589&v=&keywords=rear%20shock%20mount

az3579
01-19-2022, 05:31 PM
Rear dampers are only $64 per unit if buying Sachs: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-shock-absorber-rear-e36-e46-sachs-556-882

$282 is a major ripoff, assuming we are talking dampers only (not clear from original post).

I'm curious why you think it's a major ripoff. It sounds pretty spot-on to me.

Some loose math:

Let's say their cost is lower than $64 per shock so for this example, they charge $64 per shock including their markup
Add tax (let's go with 7% as an example)
Add shop supplies (let's make something up), $10 (it's usually a low cost like this)
Hourly rate. I don't know what book time is, but this can be done in less than an hour, so let's go with 1 hour at a typical shop rate, $120/hr

$64 x 2 = $128
Shop supplies = $10
Labor @ 1 hour = Let's assume $120
Tax @ 7% =
Total = $276.06

Obviously the final figure is dependent on a number of things, but that really isn't off base.

Dathaeus
01-19-2022, 09:26 PM

Sorry are dampers the same thing as shocks? or struts, do they all come in one package?

Dathaeus
01-19-2022, 09:27 PM
I'm curious why you think it's a major ripoff. It sounds pretty spot-on to me.

Some loose math:

Let's say their cost is lower than $64 per shock so for this example, they charge $64 per shock including their markup
Add tax (let's go with 7% as an example)
Add shop supplies (let's make something up), $10 (it's usually a low cost like this)
Hourly rate. I don't know what book time is, but this can be done in less than an hour, so let's go with 1 hour at a typical shop rate, $120/hr

$64 x 2 = $128
Shop supplies = $10
Labor @ 1 hour = Let's assume $120
Tax @ 7% =
Total = $276.06

Obviously the final figure is dependent on a number of things, but that really isn't off base.

The quote was for one rear shock and no tax included I think.

az3579
01-19-2022, 09:48 PM
The quote was for one rear shock and no tax included I think.Ah. Then that is definitely too expensive. It's odd that a shop would quote you a single shock as standard practice is to replace them in pairs.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Dathaeus
01-19-2022, 09:50 PM
Ah. Then that is definitely too expensive. It's odd that a shop would quote you a single shock as standard practice is to replace them in pairs.

Well it was pepboys so LOL

az3579
01-19-2022, 09:52 PM
Well it was pepboys so LOLDefinitely not a place I would ever go for service. They don't get paid enough to give a crap about your car so the quality of work is a big wildcard.

Time to find a trusted Indy. It's a fine balance between cost and people who know what they're doing and care.

Dathaeus
01-19-2022, 09:56 PM
Definitely not a place I would ever go for service. They don't get paid enough to give a crap about your car so the quality of work is a big wildcard.

Time to find a trusted Indy. It's a fine balance between cost and people who know what they're doing and care.

Ya I agree, just that it is always something with these F%%$# mechs and shops man

Dathaeus
01-21-2022, 09:23 AM
The mech that wanted to charge higher, he asked me to bounce the car to test the shocks.

Result is the right rear is much bouncier and weaker than the other 3. I can press it down much more easily and there is much more give, not stiff at all.

It bounces up and down 3-4 times after I let go.

Does this mean most likely need new shocks, or can it still be the mount also, OR is it suggested they both be replaced through pothole damage like this?

Galapolis
01-21-2022, 10:05 AM
Just check the top mount, you will see if it is broken or not. If it's the dampers, they should always be replaced in pairs.

az3579
01-21-2022, 04:35 PM
Result is the right rear is much bouncier and weaker than the other 3. I can press it down much more easily and there is much more give, not stiff at all.

It bounces up and down 3-4 times after I let go.

That shock is done. Definitely replace the rear left and right shocks.

A good sport-suspension shock should not bounce at all when pushed down, and it shouldn't be that easy to push down on it. It should rebound and stay.

Dathaeus
01-21-2022, 04:42 PM
That shock is done. Definitely replace the rear left and right shocks.

A good sport-suspension shock should not bounce at all when pushed down, and it shouldn't be that easy to push down on it. It should rebound and stay.

Is doing the mount also standard procedure or ONLY if the mounts are also compromised?

2003 and dont think anything in that area has ever been replaced so... but will only replace if needed, not just to "be nice to do it together."

I can do the rest when I get more funds.

az3579
01-21-2022, 04:49 PM
Is doing the mount also standard procedure or ONLY if the mounts are also compromised?

2003 and dont think anything in that area has ever been replaced so... but will only replace if needed, not just to "be nice to do it together."

I can do the rest when I get more funds.

Doing the mounts is an absolute no brainer if the shocks are being replaced anyway. Shock mounts are cheap and could save you from having to do the work again soon anyway to replace the mounts, as they are a failure item.

Rear shock mounts are easy, so if you want to penny pinch at this moment in time then you can if you're willing to replace them later down the road yourself. Otherwise, for efficiency's sake, replace them now, especially if you plan on paying someone else to do it.

If you're really strapped for cash, then yes - you can probably ignore the mounts as long as they're not failed. If they are failed, don't skip them.

Dathaeus
01-21-2022, 04:51 PM
Doing the mounts is an absolute no brainer if the shocks are being replaced anyway. Shock mounts are cheap and could save you from having to do the work again soon anyway to replace the mounts, as they are a failure item.

Rear shock mounts are easy, so if you want to penny pinch at this moment in time then you can if you're willing to replace them later down the road yourself. Otherwise, for efficiency's sake, replace them now, especially if you plan on paying someone else to do it.

If you're really strapped for cash, then yes - you can probably ignore the mounts as long as they're not failed. If they are failed, don't skip them.

Perfect answer, thanks as always man and the rest of you guys, dunno what I would without ya'll

az3579
01-21-2022, 04:54 PM
Perfect answer, thanks as always man and the rest of you guys, dunno what I would without ya'll

You get to reap the benefits of "been there done that" with regards to having to pick what to fix. I know your pain. lol

Dathaeus
01-21-2022, 05:00 PM
You get to reap the benefits of "been there done that" with regards to having to pick what to fix. I know your pain. lol

Yes true that, but I more appreciate the helpfulness in attitude and understanding as well... not many are that patient and considerate to actually answer without being critical or patronizing LOL ... If i had time and were like a hobbyist, all this would be FUN, but right now all I see is how much money I have to spend on this and to get the process done correctly ASAP without making some stupid mistakes because of these ahole or incompetent mechs I have to deal with.

Maybe one day one of these guys will finally come through and I'll be able to trust them.

The cheaper guy, he just agrees with everything I say to him about suggestions, and just keeps saying I'll do whatever you want" LMAO... I mean, if I get the info from you guys and I tell him to just do it and he does a perfect job, I guess that isn't a and way to do things as long as he can do the actual job... but kinda bothers me that he didnt even suggest that I should do both rear shocks, that I should also do the mount, that the coils are not that important right now, its like working with some robot slave.

Gotta love these first world problems huh

az3579
01-21-2022, 05:18 PM
It sounds like the cheaper guy is an idiot. Take that with a grain of salt; he should have said something about replacing both shocks instead of just one, but he seems to be too agreeable just to get the work instead of having your best interests at heart.

My advice: get the shocks done first as that is a legit safety item. Then do the coils, as long as the misfiring or whatever the problem is isn't too bad. Since Tapatalk won't let me read the thread on the same page as my response, I can't read what the actual problem is so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Dathaeus
01-22-2022, 09:10 PM
Which do you think is the best option for me.. if none please tell me what to look for...
I think all of these have the mounts with the shocks/dampers (all the same seller too):
(the reason I am using ebay is because there is a cryptocurrency app that gives you up to 50% money back for sales on ebay)

$117
NEW Rear Shock Absorbers and Upper Mounts Kit KYB Excel-G For BMW E46 3-Series (https://www.ebay.com/itm/352769566313?fits=Model%3A330i%7CMake%3ABMW&hash=item5222b46669:g:l3sAAOSwaJBdZaKH)

$192
OEM Rear Shock Absorber Kit For BMW E46 325Ci 330Ci Coupe 325i 330i Sedan (https://www.ebay.com/itm/362914043558?hash=item547f5cd6a6:g:qKAAAOSw)

$198
Sachs Rear Shocks and Mounts & Bellows Kit For BMW E30 E36 E46 3-Series L4 L6 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/154307662473?fits=Model%3A330i%7CMake%3ABMW&hash=item23ed741289:g:ATQAAOSwAnZgEH-P
E19eRasa)

az3579
01-22-2022, 10:20 PM
Which do you think is the best option for me.. if none please tell me what to look for...
I think all of these have the mounts with the shocks/dampers (all the same seller too):
(the reason I am using ebay is because there is a cryptocurrency app that gives you up to 50% money back for sales on ebay)

$117
NEW Rear Shock Absorbers and Upper Mounts Kit KYB Excel-G For BMW E46 3-Series (https://www.ebay.com/itm/352769566313?fits=Model%3A330i%7CMake%3ABMW&hash=item5222b46669:g:l3sAAOSwaJBdZaKH)

$192
OEM Rear Shock Absorber Kit For BMW E46 325Ci 330Ci Coupe 325i 330i Sedan (https://www.ebay.com/itm/362914043558?hash=item547f5cd6a6:g:qKAAAOSw)

$198
Sachs Rear Shocks and Mounts & Bellows Kit For BMW E30 E36 E46 3-Series L4 L6 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/154307662473?fits=Model%3A330i%7CMake%3ABMW&hash=item23ed741289:g:ATQAAOSwAnZgEH-P<br />E19eRasa)

I have a tough time with eBay because of the lack of proper information on a lot of the parts sold on the platform. In this case, the second link you posted ($192) seems like the best out of the three and would be a kit I would purchase IF I knew for certain the shocks are for the sport suspension. The part number for the shocks for sport versus regular suspension is different, so this would be important to know. That page does not mention which shocks the kit actually has, despite listing both sport and regular suspension equipped vehicles as being compatible. That does not give me a good enough feeling to think these are sport. I would also be hesitant with an answer from the seller as lot of them just go by the built-in compatibility checker, which in this case isn't accurate.

I would ask them for a specific part number for the shocks, or buy from a place that can give you a definitive part number on the shocks such as ECS Tuning or FCP Euro. It's worth looking into this as non-sport shocks on your ZHP isn't going to be "right".

For reference, RealOEM lists the part number for the RWD E46 330 with sport suspension as 33522282461.