PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on rear trailing arm bushing signs of needing replacement

Bimmernut2
09-12-2021, 11:22 AM
Guy, as the title says, I'm looking for input from you guy on what worn RTAB does to handling. I have a '05 ZHP convertible with 99,500 miles. How can you tell, if & when they need to be replaced?
Is there a handling issue difference between the front control are bushings needing to be replace than the rear?
I have replaced the fronts at 68k, using the Meyle HD sold by FCP. The originals were shoot at that point.
Currently, I noticed yesterday, while driving on the interstate & going into a down hill steep curve, as if the rear end was moving, like when you have a low rear tire. I stopped & checked the tires to see if they were low but all is well (Nitto Motivo's) and they are only a couple weeks old.
So, now I'm wondering if I need to replace the rear Trailing arm bushings or would it be the fronts?

Would love to hear input on this.

t.er
09-12-2021, 08:44 PM
Sounds like it could be the RTAB. My friend's old 320 had shot RTABs, the rear end would sway quite a bit on the highway. And after about a year he corded his rear tires.

Best thing to do would be to jack it up and see how much play there is between the RTA and the body

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Will
09-13-2021, 06:37 PM
I concur, that wondering rear axle feeling is a sign and symptom.

Dave1027
10-05-2021, 05:29 PM
Should have the alignment checked and put a pry bar on the trailing arms to see if the bushings are spongy.

5Field
11-26-2021, 12:44 PM
Commenting to follow. I've been noticing a very similar swaying in mine, with known recent front suspension work, so that's in good shape. Car has 188k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk