PDA

View Full Version : Console Storage Compartment Removal: How to?

Satcho
08-01-2021, 04:06 PM
ZHP Members:

I am installing Karbonius carbon fiber interior trim. Since I have the console taken a part, I am going to remove the rubberized coating on the ashtray door and storage compartment door. I looked at a ShopLife video but it does not match the configuration of the ZHP 2005.

How do you remove the storage console compartment?

It seems that, I will have remove the radio and push from behind if it is held side push tabs. There is no way to grab a hold of anything to pull out. I am refraining from using the door a the pull point. I am assuming that once the storage compartment is removed the two upper screws will be revealed, allowing the removal of the ashtray and fraemwork.

Also, if I don't like the natural finish, I can paint the doors. How do I prep the plastic before painting? Is there a specific paint that others have used successfully?

Thanks for your assistance.

John in VA
08-01-2021, 04:23 PM
I believe the sunglass storage box just slides in/pulls out. I'd read about putting your hand in the box & working it out.

Satcho
08-01-2021, 04:53 PM
John:

I tried that but after I open the door, there is not anything to grab ahold of. Can't get your hand in hardly at all.

John in VA
08-01-2021, 05:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zavqY8x7oo0

See 5:49 here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqAwtIFc-sM

See 3:00 here - URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwjrN3Q-1g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwjrN3Q-1g[/URL]

Satcho
08-01-2021, 05:58 PM
John:

I look at these. Shop Life on Youtube is reliable. The BMW model they performed the task was easy to get your hands in to pull. The door opened on mine does not leave hardly any room to even insert your hand, let alone trying pull and remove. I hesitate using the door to pull on.

az3579
08-01-2021, 06:39 PM
Pull on the door, it can handle it.

Satcho
08-01-2021, 06:59 PM
I had a chance to watch the first video. Mine opens the opposite way. Also, mine just has a tray as opposed to a cavernous cavity which allows more pull points. I try some these. If I still have troubles, I'll post a picture.

John in VA
08-02-2021, 05:24 AM
The later boxes were hinged at the bottom vs. top. Sorry you're having so much trouble!

Vas
08-02-2021, 03:49 PM
The later boxes were hinged at the bottom vs. top. Sorry you're having so much trouble!Hinged at the bottom are for convertible cars.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Satcho
08-02-2021, 04:35 PM
I returned to removing the storage compartment and finally had success. I used a trim removal tool and levered from the passenger side and easy removed the compartment. Here are pictures of the compartment in the event someone else encounters this challenge. All of the videos and instructions I viewed showed the compartment with a different configuration which allows one to place hands inside to pull it out. That is impossible with the 2005 ZHP configuration I have.

Satcho
08-02-2021, 04:46 PM
The remaining input I seek is potential repainting.

Once I removed the rubberized coating on the storage compartment door and cigarette door (hot water first attempt, then if needed denatured alcohol) I will assess the color matching between the two doors. In the event they need to be homogenized, can Rust-o-leum paint be used? Does the surface need to prep in any certain way before painting?

Thank you for everyone's assistance. I take the approach to ask questions and not force anything. I have a long list of repairs and maintenance tasks which do not need to be increased because of my errors.

Vas
08-02-2021, 05:43 PM
The remaining input I seek is potential repainting.

Once I removed the rubberized coating on the storage compartment door and cigarette door (hot water first attempt, then if needed denatured alcohol) I will assess the color matching between the two doors. In the event they need to be homogenized, can Rust-o-leum paint be used? Does the surface need to prep in any certain way before painting?

Thank you for everyone's assistance. I take the approach to ask questions and not force anything. I have a long list of repairs and maintenance tasks which do not need to be increased because of my errors.SEM trim paint satin black matches factory automotive finishes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

John in VA
08-02-2021, 05:50 PM
Some like the result of Plasti dip, covering everything in it! I believe bumper paint is a better option - it stays flexible, but doesn't peel off like Plasti dip.

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/trim-bumper-paint/
https://www.semproducts.com/product/bumper-coatertm-aerosols

Some prep ideas here - https://www.semproducts.com/product/bumper-coatertm-aerosols#product-videos

Satcho
08-02-2021, 05:56 PM
Thanks! Where does one purchase it? Is there any special surface prep required other than clean?

Satcho
08-02-2021, 05:57 PM
John:

Thank you!

Satcho
08-02-2021, 06:30 PM
John:

Is a clear coat recommended?

John in VA
08-03-2021, 06:48 AM
John: Is a clear coat recommended?
You'd want a satin or matte finish if you did clear. The flexible bumper paint is more durable than the original BMW "coating" to fingernail scratches, etc.

Satcho
08-03-2021, 12:25 PM
You'd want a satin or matte finish if you did clear. The flexible bumper paint is more durable than the original BMW "coating" to fingernail scratches, etc.

Good point. I ordered the SEM products for plastic ( I tested the plastic with acetone) which yielded the SEM Stand Free according to SEM's website, the SEM 38353, Plastic and Leather Prep and the SEM Flexible Bumper Coater. All which were purchased via Ebay.

John, thanks for your assistance.

Now on to removing the rubberized coating. I am going to try a citrus cleaner and Goo Gone first. I think I can control the removal better with these products. If not, I think I'll try acetone next.

John in VA
08-03-2021, 12:40 PM
Many different approaches to removing the coating. Most involve a not-too-heavy Scotch-brite pad.

Satcho
08-04-2021, 07:18 PM
Many different approaches to removing the coating. Most involve a not-too-heavy Scotch-brite pad.

I tried a citrus cleaner first ... no material benefit. Next, Goo Gone ... no material benefit. Next, hot water (heated in a microwave). This worked great. I used a scotch brite pad (dark green) and vigorously applied pressure to remove the coating. I left the pieces in the water for 1-2 minutes. This method was effective after two to three soaks and rubs.

Now awaiting SEM products to refinish.

Satcho
08-10-2021, 01:27 PM
Here is an image of the refinished storage compartment and ashtray compartment. Outcome was excellent.

Just follow SEM website application steps and instructions on the cans. The interesting aspect to the process is after the parts are cleaned, you apply the "Sand Free" (just noticed i misspelled previously) while it is wet lightly apply "Bumper Coater" wait for typical drying time then apply a final coat. Let dry.

Flawless finished product. Thanks to John for recommendation.

sillieidiot
08-12-2021, 06:50 AM
Great work. But that is the worst picture of the final product that I have ever seen lol