PDA

View Full Version : Superchargers.... Educate me

sna77
11-26-2020, 03:59 PM
I've been reading up on superchargers for a while now, and honestly don't know enough to understand the differences other than the max HP ratings.

From what I gather, the major brands are ActiveAutowerkes, ESS Tuning, and VF Engineering. All seem to have a stage 1, 2, etc.

Besides cost, and HP, what are the major things I should be concerned with? What are tradeoffs? Reliability? Ease of installation? Lowest maintenance? Fuel economy?

Would love to hear some feedback... And if anyone has a supercharged ZHP in the Boston area... I want to drive it lol. :)

Thanks!

BADCLOWN
11-26-2020, 06:33 PM
I think all the members on here that are supercharged are twin scroll charger users. I think those kits offer slightly more horsepower than the VF ones but they also don’t make them anymore and you’d be hard pressed to find a new one for sale.

sna77
11-26-2020, 07:17 PM
who made the twinnscroll ones?

BADCLOWN
11-27-2020, 05:27 AM
ESS I believe. I had a stg2 VF supercharged Mk3 GTI VR6 when I was younger and loved the sound/power it made. I’ve never driven a supercharged ZHP, only watched various YouTube videos.

I plan on going VF in the next year or less. I don’t really have a technical reason other than last experience with VF and I love the sound. I’m sure the more technical guys with TS charger will chime in with their experiences.

johnrando
11-27-2020, 02:27 PM
I have an ESS Stage 1 (as my car is auto). The purchase came with free instsllation. I love it, but a stage 1/auto is not super fast. To me, it feels more like the car shld hv from the factory. Very smooth power delivery, u can feel it when it kicks in, and it doesn't hurt drivability at all. I got this one as it revs up near lower RPMs. I've had it a couple years so can't comment on reliability. As said, you can't get them new anymore. Mine makes idle after cold starts rough, but that goes away. If you are looking for a well tested product that definitely provides a boost, I recommend one. I have ridden in a Stage 2 and it's much faster, and has a nice SC whine. Technically the cost new is not worth it compared to the value of the car, but if you're keeping the car, who cares?!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Galapolis
11-27-2020, 02:32 PM
That's a very good point to consider, if you are looking to buy a SC, realistically you'll be limited to whatever you can find used for a decent price. Not much choice these days.

BADCLOWN
11-27-2020, 02:46 PM
You can still buy the VF kit new from various vendors, the personal problem I have is that it comes standard with a 6psi tune. I have contacted Vortech and VF, both of which stated they cannot provide a map for 8-9psi which is what I would prefer. I would have to find someone to do a custom tune.

sna77
11-28-2020, 04:33 AM
That's a very good point to consider, if you are looking to buy a SC, realistically you'll be limited to whatever you can find used for a decent price. Not much choice these days.

Thanks all—the Active Autowerks and ESS kits are still available new it appears...

johnrando
11-28-2020, 10:11 AM
ESS avail new? I thought they were sold out. Where?

sna77
11-28-2020, 01:43 PM
ESS avail new? I thought they were sold out. Where?

Looks like they are available on their website:
https://esstuning.com/m54b30-twin-screw-stage-2-ts2/

BMWCurves
11-28-2020, 02:55 PM
Which member was it that really struggled with ESS in terms of tuning? They kept having issues with getting a good AFR.

johnrando
11-28-2020, 03:22 PM
Looks like they are available on their website:
https://esstuning.com/m54b30-twin-screw-stage-2-ts2/Hmmm, I really thought they were sold out. I guess not!

Reasoned1
11-28-2020, 03:26 PM
I do remember somebody struggling with an ESS kit. I distinctly remember thinking, "I dodged that bullet..." I still wrestle with a desire for that power, but I keep reminding myself that my car goes 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, will go 160mph, and is fun as hell now. Then, I also consider all the mods I could do with $7,000 (or cars it would help me buy) and what a shame it would be to ruin my ZHP which is already so perfect. And it's not like you'll ever get that money back out of the car...

BADCLOWN
11-28-2020, 03:33 PM
Edit: disregard.

The ESS kit gives more tq but the HP is pretty much the same. For roughly HALF the price, I think VF is worth it.

I don't think it ruins a ZHP by any means. I haven't driven a supercharged ZHP but generally speaking: I think it wakes cars up and shows what they really SHOULD be from the manufacturer. Plus, I think its SAFE power. Not as violent as turbo charging can be on the motor/drive train/etc.

Reasoned1
11-28-2020, 04:14 PM
By "ruin", I was referring to the potential reliability issues--vacuum leaks, A/F ratio, etc.--that multitudes of installers seem to run into. If it wasn't for that, I'd buy one immediately for the performance gain (twin screw or centrifugal).

fredo
11-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Which member was it that really struggled with ESS in terms of tuning? They kept having issues with getting a good AFR.

I do remember somebody struggling with an ESS kit.

I believe that was Sockethead.

BADCLOWN
12-03-2020, 05:42 AM
I've personally never heard of people (BMW or not) that have had reliability issues with their chargers. Like I said before, its reliable power. I think when you start to get into customizing a "kit" from a manufacturer, that's when you start to potentially run into issues i.e. wanting to up the boost via a tune not provided by the manufacturer, bigger injectors, etc. etc.

The only "issue" I had with my sgt2 VW GTI VR6 was belt slip and VF offered a (I think it was 35%) belt "wrap" kit that assisted in minimizing that issue to it almost being a null one. Some guys would convert their setups to a cogged belt which resulted in ZERO slip.

GMBBS
02-04-2021, 11:21 AM
I have a 6-speed ZHP, and a VF supercharged 330i 5-speed sport package. Love the ZHP, but SC 330i is much more fun to drive. It gives the car the power to match the chassis and looks. Power is very linear, so it does not change the characteristics of the M54. It's not tire shredding torque, just smooth linear power. Its like have a 4.5 liter M54 under the hood. It's pretty much seamless integration, with no real negatives. And compared to the S-54 swap, you could spend $5K on a VF, install in a weekend, then remove and sell later for $3K. And yes, I do have a plans to SC my ZHP.

Reasoned1
02-04-2021, 11:57 AM
Damned, you guys are a bad influence on me...

d-rod
02-04-2021, 12:01 PM
I have the Active Autowerks setup and it makes the ZHP so amazing and fun to drive ! It’s worth it for the added power if you love your ZHP. The way I see it, It’s cheaper than buying another “fun” car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADCLOWN
02-04-2021, 03:44 PM
All this FI talk is getting my juices flowing and my credit card is vibrating in my wallet

cakM3
02-04-2021, 04:36 PM
All this FI talk is getting my juices flowing and my credit card is vibrating in my wallet

I can relate Jacob [emoji1787]

I ended up buying two different FI cars to satisfy my FI itch [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] Different kind of FI but FI nevertheless...

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

ItsRichieRich
04-29-2021, 09:15 AM
For those that don't browse ebay everyday like I do...: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294041891450?hash=item447643327a%3Ag%3AAQIAAOSwyRx gPmIu&LH_ItemCondition=3000

BADCLOWN
04-29-2021, 09:27 AM
I check daily for lightly used charger kits. You can buy a VF kit brand new for $4500 bucks though

ItsRichieRich
04-29-2021, 09:32 AM
That means we should offer this guy $3k and see if he takes it haha.