PDA

View Full Version : AC compressor leak?

jlodge
10-11-2020, 05:48 AM
I've been watching a small yellow/greenish leak from the AC compressor since I bought my car in the spring. Initially the leak was very small and intermittent, but yesterday I noticed quite a bit more accumulation (see photo).

A/C still blows cold, although it occasionally makes an odd whooshing/pulsing sound when starting up. I've noticed this since purchase.

As far as I know, everything is stock, although the PO had the system recharged ~ a year ago.

Couple of questions:
- Is this usually caused by the compressor failing or are there other possible explanations?
- How urgent is it to resolve the issue? I.e. should I do something preventatively or wait until something breaks?
- Is a DIY possible or is this one to leave to the pros? Re: my skill level, I've done all my fluids, cooling system refresh, and suspension refresh but am otherwise learning as I go

Thanks in advance for any guidance and suggestions.

jlodge
11-09-2020, 07:28 AM
Bump. Any thoughts on my AC leak?

BMWCurves
11-09-2020, 08:21 AM
Sorry jlodge,

I'm really not familiar with the AC system and common failure points. I have only ever had my AC serviced by a mechanic with the appropriate equipment. Someone here probably has a better idea.

jlodge
11-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Thanks, @BMWCurves. Appreciate the response!

t.er
11-09-2020, 09:32 AM
I did notice a bit of residue on mine, looking similar to yours but not quite as bad. Honestly, I've just been topping-off, using 1 small R134a can every summer, which keeps the air cold. Been doing this for a few years now with no issues, and it's cheap at $20/can

jlodge
11-09-2020, 10:07 AM
Glad that's been working for you @t.er. Sometimes a small bit of hassle / maintenance is better than fixing the real problem!

In this case, I was under the impression that the yellow substance is oil from the compressor. Anyone spent enough time with the AC system to weigh in?

Fried_Chicken
11-10-2020, 09:47 PM
I did notice a bit of residue on mine, looking similar to yours but not quite as bad. Honestly, I've just been topping-off, using 1 small R134a can every summer, which keeps the air cold. Been doing this for a few years now with no issues, and it's cheap at $20/can

Be very careful doing that. I blew up my AC system and ended up in a world of hurt getting it fixed.

The greenish fluid is meant to show leaks (although I've never seen that much of it leak!)
You can use this (https://www.amazon.com/REALHUNLEE-Conditioner-Flashlight-Detection-Protective/dp/B08DVBM9ZF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=AC+oil+light&qid=1605073577&sr=8-1) to find the leak and that should put you on the right path.