PDA

View Full Version : Key battery replacement

nsk040
05-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Anyone done this? My remote unlock is working at increasingly shorter distances, if I don't replace the battery will the ignition stop working as the key is matched to the ignition?

az3579
05-02-2019, 08:00 AM
Anyone done this? My remote unlock is working at increasingly shorter distances, if I don't replace the battery will the ignition stop working as the key is matched to the ignition?

The key will continue to work in the ignition even with a dead battery.

JohnnyGraphic
05-04-2019, 09:34 AM
My wife's key battery is dead and it still works in the door and the ignition no issues. I've seen some videos on how to replace the battery. But they seem to have different procedures, some say soldering and some say no soldering needed etc. So, she still has a dead key after maybe 8 years or so? Mine still works.

DeathTrap
05-04-2019, 03:11 PM
I've done it. You need to solder, but most importantly, you need to desolder the old battery.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dual
05-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Came across this:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?18166-Diamond-Key-Rechargeable-Battery-Replacement-DIY

JPMo
05-06-2019, 02:20 PM

The key will continue to work in the ignition even with a dead battery.

Interesting you guys say that because I about a year ago, I returned from grocery shopping to find my car wouldn't start despite being able to open the door.
Naturally I freaked out and called a local indy who stated it was probably the key. Car eventually started and when I got to my apartment and switched to the spare, boom. Instant start. I bought another key from BMW and never had that happen again. Very strange

az3579
05-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Unrelated to the battery. The key itself could go bad, but a dead battery won't prevent an otherwise functioning key from starting the car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DeathTrap
05-06-2019, 04:37 PM
What they said. The actual transponder is powered inductively through the ignition column ring.

You'd have other issues, that's not battery related, if you couldn't start the car.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk