PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Cowl Trim Replacement - tool?

nsk040
03-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Is a special tool needed to replace this part? DIYs on the internet that I've seen say no, but I recall there being a special tool (perhaps to get the wipers off)? It's a sedan, if that makes a difference.

az3579
03-20-2019, 08:19 AM
No special tools.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
03-20-2019, 10:20 AM
Wiper tool is the only one that you may need. I had to borrow it for mine because even little gear pullers couldn't get it off.

az3579
03-20-2019, 11:46 AM
Wiper tool is the only one that you may need. I had to borrow it for mine because even little gear pullers couldn't get it off.

You don't even need a wiper tool. Just put the wipers into their service position (as though you're changing the wiper blades) and they should come right off.

ZHPizza
03-20-2019, 12:11 PM
You don't even need a wiper tool. Just put the wipers into their service position (as though you're changing the wiper blades) and they should come right off.Lmao yeah I totally didn't think of that crazy idea

Sometimes shit gets real real stuck. That's when BMW makes a special tool. I didn't think it was necessary either, but nothing else could break that little bastard free.

John in VA
03-20-2019, 12:26 PM
I used my longest flat blade screwdriver as a prybar to get them off our 2000 328i. Was going to give up but didn't let it happen! You'll need a fulcrum, of course.
I thought Autozone or Advance Auto would have the wiper puller for rent since they had them on the shelf, but it didn't work that way.

johnrando
03-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Mark where the wipers were with blue tape on the windows so you know where to put them back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reasoned1
03-21-2019, 12:21 AM
I got mine off without a tool, but it was a real bitch—so much so that I bought the wiper pulling tool after the fact for the next time (they’re cheap).

az3579
03-21-2019, 03:11 AM
What the hell, was mine the only car on which they came right off without much effort? [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
03-21-2019, 08:54 AM
mine wasn't hard to come off. you just wiggle it back and forth until it comes off. wiggle it..hehe lol

GotZHP
03-22-2019, 04:59 PM
I need to do this still, been so lazy. It normally never rains in Cali, but this past winter / spring have been drenched

johnrando
03-23-2019, 11:56 AM
I need to do this still, been so lazy. It normally never rains in Cali, but this past winter / spring have been drenchedDrenched!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oli77
03-23-2019, 01:17 PM
I found out that an easy way to remove the arm once the nut is removed, is to push on the arm against the windshield.
Place one hand at the connection between the arm and the blade (middle of the blade), push against the windshield, and with the other hand and a flat screwdriver or prying tool, lift the base of the arm right near where the bolt goes through the arm (opposite side of the arm, or side away from the blade).
Sucker pops right off without much effort. Since the bolt is conical, it really helps to do that.

danewilson77
03-24-2019, 09:26 AM
I found out that an easy way to remove the arm once the nut is removed, is to push on the arm against the windshield.
Place one hand at the connection between the arm and the blade (middle of the blade), push against the windshield, and with the other hand and a flat screwdriver or prying tool, lift the base of the arm right near where the bolt goes through the arm (opposite side of the arm, or side away from the blade).
Sucker pops right off without much effort. Since the bolt is conical, it really helps to do that.This. Sometimes it's a bitch.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

GotZHP
03-27-2019, 12:01 PM
Where did you buy your cowl from? I am looking for a genuine BMW one and ECS Tuning & Turner have it listed for $79.39.

You get a better deal somewhere else?

Reasoned1
03-27-2019, 03:09 PM
They seem to be going up in price about $10 a year. $70-$80 is typical now for new OEM.

TomSc
03-28-2019, 05:44 AM
Just bought one from Turner so will be doing it this weekend. Saving this for when I get confounded by my wiper blades. Turner and ECS had the same price and were the cheapest I could find.