PDA

View Full Version : Doing a bunch of work on the ZHP

Fried_Chicken
03-16-2019, 10:27 PM
No diagnostic request here. I just want to let someone know I'm doing a whole bunch of stuff.

Gym memberships are overrated, just drive 16 year old German car with over 160k miles.

It's amazing how stuff just seems to add up.
It started like 2 years ago when I for whatever reason was in a bad mood, turned my traction control off, and spun out the car, hitting the sidewalk with my rear left wheel. After this incident, I'm convinced pedestrians have no rights.

My lower suspension mount got bent and needed immediate replacing, and my mechanic also knew I'd need a new wheel bearings. I ordered 2, and they've been sitting comfortably in my garage for the past 2 years (FAGs).

Fast forward to today, and I'm finally getting stuff done. Only now, I also need new differential bushings (I drive hard and fast), and since I need to unhook the driveshaft to do those anyway, and removing the driveshaft requires disconnecting the exhaust, and disconnecting the exhaust helps with everything else in the rear, I went ahead and did everything all at once.

So everything I'm doing:
flex disk (had cracks, needed replacing whoo!)
center support bearing. I think I was getting driveline vibrations, so doing this isn't wasted time.
differential bushings, front and rear (currently in the freezer)
wheel bearings (also still in the freezer). They made a noise after the accident, but it didn't get worse as promised. Still, worth doing.
Replace stupid squeaky Bilstein with OEM Sachs rear shocks

Some BS I ran into while doing the work (so far):

1. I ordered front struts (Sachs OEM). I got two Sachs struts with the correct part number, but one said "Super Touring" and had a blue label, the other had a white label. When compressed, the "Super Touring" strut rebounded more slowly than the white labeled "regular" srut. I don't know what's going on here, but I don't like this, and I'm going to re-order them.
2. the locking nuts for the half axle were a PITA to get unlocked. The impact did the trick.
3. one of the flex disk bolts was FUSED to the flex disk and required oiling and bashing
4. the rear of the driveshaft was fused to the CV joint, requiring some oiling, bashing, and prying to get off
5. I wasn't sure how best to remove the center support bearing. Eventually I managed to pry it off with a puller after I just went gorilla on it
6. the left transaxle (from the broken bearing) REFUSED to come off, even with a sledge hammer. I got the biggest baddest puller I could find to end the negotiation
7. My parts supplier didn't have the rear differential mount. I had to get one from the dealer for $60 more than I should have spent on it.
8. I couldn't find a shifter rebuild kit for the ZHP, so although now would be the perfect time to do it, I'm not doing it.

By the time everything is done, I expect to have used a full bottle of penetrating oil.

I can diarrhea some pictures into this post:

Tomorrow I hope to finish all this. I hope I don't total the car immediately. I would be pissed.

fredo
03-17-2019, 09:08 AM
I’m interested what you find about the front Sachs. I plan to go the same route someday.

Fried_Chicken
03-17-2019, 09:24 PM
I can't get the rear half axles into the wheel hub.

The car is now stuck on the lift, and I'm going to have to explain it to the owner.

grr

Thatguy_JZ
03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
I appreciate your enthusiasm. I can relate, lol

Fried_Chicken
03-18-2019, 02:12 PM
It's the really stupid things that end up taking a long time.

Final major inconvenience:
After filing the axle, the wheel hub, torching the wheel hub, and dry-icing the axle, I finally got everything set and torqued.

The rear end runs like butter. The front end is going to happen next, but not for a while.

johnrando
03-18-2019, 09:37 PM
Wow, a lot of work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DeathTrap
03-19-2019, 05:51 AM
That's exactly why I purchased the axle puller tool. I plan to do a similar refresh eventually. I'm not at all confident in getting the exhaust bolts off. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190319/183c797ded23a59e0817b2d5bc64e77e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fried_Chicken
03-19-2019, 03:44 PM
That's exactly why I purchased the axle puller tool. I plan to do a similar refresh eventually. I'm not at all confident in getting the exhaust bolts off. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190319/183c797ded23a59e0817b2d5bc64e77e.jpg

Those were surprisingly easy. I just sprayed penetrating stuff and let it sit for like an hour while I did other stuff. I think I also bashed it with a hammer a little bit.... like (nut) <-- (socket) <-- hammer

If you do the job, you're going to need a lot of penetrating stuff.

Fried_Chicken
03-19-2019, 03:45 PM
Now that I've done that job, I wish I'd taken the entire subframe off and done every bushing there.

GotZHP
03-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Do you think rear subframe can be done on jack stands? My rear end is really squishy and I know all my bushings need to be replaced

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Fried_Chicken
03-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Do you think rear subframe can be done on jack stands? My rear end is really squishy and I know all my bushings need to be replaced

Yeah; just make sure you jack it high enough that the subframe can be slid out on a jack. You'll definitely have to remove the shocks (easy).
Just FFS be careful jacking the car up high like that. Just thinking about it gives me heeby jeebies.

GotZHP
03-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Yeah; just make sure you jack it high enough that the subframe can be slid out on a jack. You'll definitely have to remove the shocks (easy).
Just FFS be careful jacking the car up high like that. Just thinking about it gives me heeby jeebies.

Your telling me, I hate putting the car on jack stands, especially in a parking lot. I think about earthquake's happening while I'm under there. I may go to one of those places where you can rent a work space and a lift considering there are a few nearby in the LA area. Or ill try and rent someone's garage space for the weekend so at least I can be on level ground.

This work wont happen for awhile since im just starting a new job after a period of unemployment. Going to try and save enough cash (and hope the car holds up) and do new struts all around, a full rear suspension rebuild, and all bushings and engine mounts, o and guibos. If the car is going to be out of service might as well get as much done as possible.

DeathTrap
03-26-2019, 03:27 PM
One day I'll do this. I'm dreading this even more than the OPG job. Since this is my daily, I have to do it all in one weekend...ugh.

Also, I bought the XI shifter kit from FCPEuro, and I think all the parts are the same. I'll find out soon enough.

GotZHP
03-26-2019, 03:44 PM
One day I'll do this. I'm dreading this even more than the OPG job. Since this is my daily, I have to do it all in one weekend...ugh.

Also, I bought the XI shifter kit from FCPEuro, and I think all the parts are the same. I'll find out soon enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TapatalkHonestly, OPG is not too bad. I did it on jack stands and the front subframe comes out / drops pretty easily, at least it did for me. I wish I had bought engine mounts too since I had the upper engine support bar in place.

johnrando
03-27-2019, 06:12 AM
Your telling me, I hate putting the car on jack stands, especially in a parking lot. I think about earthquake's happening while I'm under there. I may go to one of those places where you can rent a work space and a lift considering there are a few nearby in the LA area. Or ill try and rent someone's garage space for the weekend so at least I can be on level ground.

This work wont happen for awhile since im just starting a new job after a period of unemployment. Going to try and save enough cash (and hope the car holds up) and do new struts all around, a full rear suspension rebuild, and all bushings and engine mounts, o and guibos. If the car is going to be out of service might as well get as much done as possible.

At some point coming up I will have a lift you can use for free. Also, I have race ramps so that helps with stability vs. jack stands. Not sure if they are high enough for you to get out the subframe but might be worth it. The problem is you've have to drive to the South Bay. Might be easier to rent, but if you want to make the drive, we can do the work in my driveway. I only have the most basic tools though, so you'd have to bring ones that are beyond std wrenches.

Chaplian
03-29-2019, 07:06 PM

Not OP, but I dropped my whole rear end on jack stands. Parked the front of the car on ramps, jacked the rear up and supported the car with jack stands. Having a buddy to help is incredibly helpful, really helps when you're dropping the sub frame itself. Also, don't replace your upper rear control arm's inner bushings with poly... it will squeak to high heaven over every bump after the first car wash with an undercarriage spray.