PDA

View Full Version : What did you do for your ZHP/BMW today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41

Ryans323i
11-14-2012, 10:11 AM
I want to lower the ///M another 1/2" but the way the roads up here in New England are....I think I might just leave things the way they are....

Could do coilovers. Make out lower when you want and keep it up for most driving.

Home from the dealer... Shopping for wheels..

Cracked rim FTL... :rolleyes

Dang. That sucks. At least you get to shop got wheels!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

alexandre
11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
My turn to activate winter mode. I'm pretty happy with the look of the gunmetal style 44's on Imola!

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9234/photo20121114114138am.jpg

cakM3
11-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Could do coilovers. Make out lower when you want and keep it up for most driving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Ry, the ///M is setup on coilovers....I can lower it more but because of how "awesome" the roads are up here, especially when I go through the NYC area, I would surely bottom out or damage my lip.....I don't know if lowering it more would be worth it....I'll have to see....but damn! Just a half inch would change the look...:)

Ryans323i
11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Another reason to hurry up and move to NC. The roads are great!

Crickett
11-14-2012, 12:32 PM
I @$!!#% hate stripping bolts!!

iP5. Tapatalk. Bauce.

Hornung418
11-14-2012, 12:43 PM
That's an Allen head not a Torx head.

Crickett
11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
That's an Allen head not a Torx head.

Yeah, I discovered that after a little search engine-ing. I'm going to try again, but I tried my 8 mm Allen bit & couldn't get it in (STS).

Sockethead
11-14-2012, 12:59 PM
:rofl That's me at my tire shop. And I'm not that low.
Hell that us in the 135 and ZHP in my driveway... extreme angles is the only way we can get in the driveway...

JupiterBMW
11-14-2012, 03:14 PM
No Bueno :( what happened?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

:eeps It cracked...? I dunno, I drove it to the dealer yesterday to pick up the exhaust, and then we went out the door last night to go to dinner, and noticed the tire was low. Back to the dealer today to get it filled and they inform me its cracked... Sucks!!

Hornung418
11-14-2012, 03:59 PM
You're not alone. See the massive thread with cracked 135s...

Johal E32
11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Home from the dealer... Shopping for wheels..

Cracked rim FTL... :rolleyes

Style 135's suck... But, I really like their design, and they look sexy.

They have two MAJOR flaws.

1- They are heavy. These things are like boat anchors. My 323i's acceleration was a tad slower with these wheels. Light wheels>heavy wheels.

2- Cracking and bending. My stupid self jumped on a set of decently priced 135's.. I mount them on my car, leave it for a month. Go to the tire shop and they refuse service because of a cracked rim.. I later took it to a Bay area renowned wheel repair shop, he said three were bent, and other is cracked.

- That is when I switched to the umnitza lm reps.

Good luck getting every sorted!

I think some silver Apex arc-8's or ec-7's would look great on your car :drool:

UdubBadger
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
My turn to activate winter mode. I'm pretty happy with the look of the gunmetal style 44's on Imola!

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9234/photo20121114114138am.jpg

:like

cakM3
11-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Another reason to hurry up and move to NC. The roads are great!

Ry, I wish I could do this now but will have to look several years down the road - daughter finishing HS and then going to college...

perhaps after that... ;)

JupiterBMW
11-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Style 135's suck... But, I really like their design, and they look sexy.

They have two MAJOR flaws.

1- They are heavy. These things are like boat anchors. My 323i's acceleration was a tad slower with these wheels. Light wheels>heavy wheels.

2- Cracking and bending. My stupid self jumped on a set of decently priced 135's.. I mount them on my car, leave it for a month. Go to the tire shop and they refuse service because of a cracked rim.. I later took it to a Bay area renowned wheel repair shop, he said three were bent, and other is cracked.

- That is when I switched to the umnitza lm reps.

Good luck getting every sorted!

I think some silver Apex arc-8's or ec-7's would look great on your car :drool:

Yep, absolutely... I've got my rims picked out already, going with the AG M359s. Just need to find the cheapest place to buy... And it does suck that the 135s are so prone to cracks...

Meric
11-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Question!

Did anyone ever went flat-out with their zhp?

danewilson77
11-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Question!

Did anyone ever went flat-out wither their zhp?

Huh?

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Crickett
11-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Yep, absolutely... I've got my rims picked out already, going with the AG M359s. Just need to find the cheapest place to buy... And it does suck that the 135s are so prone to cracks...

I want those AG M359s! Maybe I should check my M135s for cracks . . .

And it turns out my hydraulic tensioner is, indeed, an 8 mm hex socket. I gently used a hammer to persuade my 8 mm hex bit to fit & reshape the socket to fit.

iP5. Tapatalk. Bauce.

Meric
11-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Huh?

Top speed.. I'm on to something just need to confirm it..

HokieZHP
11-14-2012, 06:31 PM
I've come very very close to advertised top speed but never topped out for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meric
11-14-2012, 06:39 PM
I've come very very close to advertised top speed but never topped out for sure

Thanks Chris! :) How close were you?

HokieZHP
11-14-2012, 07:05 PM
My speedo read 154-155 so i figure 150-152ish

Hermes
11-14-2012, 07:11 PM
I will preface this by saying I do not encourage behavior of this sort, I was younger and much less mature at the time...

I went appx 155-160 on the 15 after passing Primm/stateline about 4 years ago. Late January, cold thick air... the car got up to speed fine but did not handle that nice at extreme speed on that stretch of road. I blame aerodynamics for the issues I had at speed. Hell, M3 GTRs (600hp monsters) would only get up to around 190 on the stretch between the gantry and bridge (Green Hell reference)

Edit: Honestly Meric, to give you an example you will better understand it would be like one of your buddies saying then went top speed in a Cessna. If you want to go fast, find a car that can do 200. That is the true measure of driving a fast car.

M0nk3y
11-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Question!

I don't like these questions

HokieZHP
11-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah I did this on a closed stretch of road. Car got up to that speed in less than a mile and was surprisingly stable for me at those speeds.

nike001
11-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Question!

Don't even. You speeding is the last thing anyone on the road needs. None the less topping out your 330.

cakM3
11-14-2012, 07:38 PM

+1

Last thing I want to hear is someone getting killed for doing something like that......be safe guys/gals....

I've taken my car at speed but never pushed them to see just how fast they could go....not even my ///M.

Hermes
11-14-2012, 07:44 PM
FFFFF....

just started the ZHP for the first time in a few days, sounds weird like its not running on all cylinders... then SES light came on. I guess I'll be driving the 320 tonight.

M0nk3y
11-14-2012, 07:45 PM
FFFFF....

just started the ZHP for the first time in a few days, sounds weird like its not running on all cylinders... then SES light came on. I guess I'll be driving the 320 tonight.

Check coil connections, make sure spark plugs are all torqued correctly.

Hornung418
11-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Meric posting about going flat out? :rofl...you couldn't pay me to ride with that lunatic.

UdubBadger
11-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Meric I'm starting to doubt how smart you really are.

Take it to a track if you are planning something please.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Meric
11-14-2012, 11:27 PM
I asked because I'm working on coding the ECU not because im going to max out the car.. I'm getting really good at coding e46's and now trying to do stuff with ECU modifications..

I will preface this by saying I do not encourage behavior of this sort, I was younger and much less mature at the time...
I went appx 155-160 on the 15 after passing Primm/stateline about 4 years ago. Late January, cold thick air... the car got up to speed fine but did not handle that nice at extreme speed on that stretch of road. I blame aerodynamics for the issues I had at speed. Hell, M3 GTRs (600hp monsters) would only get up to around 190 on the stretch between the gantry and bridge (Green Hell reference)
Edit: Honestly Meric, to give you an example you will better understand it would be like one of your buddies saying then went top speed in a Cessna. If you want to go fast, find a car that can do 200. That is the true measure of driving a fast car.
Yea I heard e46 sucks at aerodynamic and drag is it true?

Meric posting about going flat out? :rofl...you couldn't pay me to ride with that lunatic.
Dude whats up with you and me asking something related with speed?? Nobody pays you sh!t to get inside my vehicle.. Did I say anything about me maxing out the car? I asked because People were saying ZHP's dont have speed limiter.. Get your shit together and stop dealing with me..

Meric I'm starting to doubt how smart you really are.

Take it to a track if you are planning something please.
- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile
It's just something related with ECU Programming.. I'm really interested in coding now im into ECU..

Hornung418
11-14-2012, 11:44 PM
If you were smart, you'd already know that ZHPs have a 155 mph limiter.

Meric
11-15-2012, 12:01 AM
If you were smart, you'd already know that ZHPs have a 155 mph limiter.

How does that have to do with me being smart???
+ If you were smart you'd put a S54 Engine instead of M54.. ;)

zhpnsnv
11-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Oy! This all could have been prevented had A, the question been specific ("Does anyone actually know if there's a limiter on the E46 because I'm coding something and want to know?) and B, had we simply asked "Why do you want to know?" instead of jumping to conclusions.

http://youtu.be/8riXGpPFD34

danewilson77
11-15-2012, 05:03 AM
Really though...Meric never said he was thinking about going fast. Everyone just bit on it. He just said, "I'm on to something". I never got he was going to try to attain max speed (though his history may lead one to believe otherwise).

Name calling will now stop in this thread.

Meric, If you feel like sharing your specific thoughts, please do so.

Thanks.

cakM3
11-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Meric,

I think it's awesome that you're going all out trying to learn how to code the E46! Props to you man :thumbsup Just be careful when messing around the ECU.....proceed with caution brother...

Looking forward to seeing what you learn from coding!

UdubBadger
11-15-2012, 06:09 AM
I asked because I'm working on coding the ECU not because im going to max out the car.. I'm getting really good at coding e46's and now trying to do stuff with ECU modifications..

Yea I heard e46 sucks at aerodynamic and drag is it true?

Dude whats up with you and me asking something related with speed?? Nobody pays you sh!t to get inside my vehicle.. Did I say anything about me maxing out the car? I asked because People were saying ZHP's dont have speed limiter.. Get your shit together and stop dealing with me..

It's just something related with ECU Programming.. I'm really interested in coding now im into ECU..

That's fine, and sorry if I came off harsh, just don't want to see anything bad happen. I remember what it was like being in my early adolescence, topping out cars on the interstate... It's not a good road to go down (sorry for being puny).

Just stay safe man. If you want ECU help I can alway introduce you to Jerry our boss at Eurocharged.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Vas
11-15-2012, 06:49 AM
I live my life a quarter mile at a time....

UdubBadger
11-15-2012, 07:40 AM
On a side note the "Frank-intake" has hit a bump - need to order a few more parts to make it happen. I took out the GruppeM I sold to Ryan to clean it up for him and was just gonna run the stock airbox till I get the rest of the parts. Went and dug it out of my crawl space and noticed an oiled K&N drop in filter in there. :rofl

So at least I'm not fully stock now in that regard... I'm willing to bet I could see a few extra ponies even.

Ryans323i
11-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Ry, I wish I could do this now but will have to look several years down the road - daughter finishing HS and then going to college...

perhaps after that... ;)

Can't wait. We'll be here!

I live my life a quarter mile at a time....

I lol'd. :eeps

midlandtech
11-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Really though...Meric never said he was thinking about going fast. Everyone just bit on it. He just said, "I'm on to something". I never got he was going to try to attain max speed (though his history may lead one to believe otherwise).

Name calling will now stop in this thread.

Meric, If you feel like sharing your specific thoughts, please do so.

Thanks.

I agree guys let's not tarnish our forum with childish behavior. I've had mine up to 135 in 4th after tune, intake and exhaust before running out of straight track. Never hit the 155 mark but the car seemed like it would achieve every bit of 155 given enough road.

~Steve

Sockethead
11-15-2012, 10:21 AM
I've had the ZHP up to 140. Still seemed to have decent power and handling was good although you don't want to make even the slightest mistake at that speed.
I was impressed on how stable the car seemed. I have a Dinan stage 3 tune, intake and throttle body

Vas
11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Can't wait. We'll be here!

I lol'd. :eeps

Glad somebody got the joke :-)

cakM3
11-15-2012, 10:41 AM
I've had the ZHP up to 140. Still seemed to have decent power and handling was good although you don't want to make even the slightest mistake at that speed.
I was impressed on how stable the car seemed. I have a Dinan stage 3 tune, intake and throttle body

Agreed... At speeds in excess of 130 you really have to know your car and be aware of what's happening around you. I'm sure most of us have taken our cars at high speeds to "feel" them out... I for one did when I first got my ///M...you just have to be careful when and where you do this ... First rule being safety...

Anyway, today I took my ///M in for an oil change (too lazy to do my own) and a thorough inspection, including my rear subframe area at my new dealer. Service is much improved over the old dealer I used to take my babies to. Nothing but the best for my babies!

The mechanic identified obvious issues (need new rear tires and windshield replacement) other than that, he told me my ///M was perfect :) Nothing better than starting a new relationship with your new mechanic by presenting a beautifully maintained BMW! :thumbsup

Hermes
11-15-2012, 02:28 PM
to get this thread back on topic...

this car is gonna end up such a mix of assorted different cars

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/320i/D902279D-902C-461C-A73B-C3261E4F5166-7608-00000AE43CC40088.jpg

^ early E24 sports wheel, also picked up a 90 amp E30 alternator

Crickett
11-15-2012, 02:37 PM
to get this thread back on topic...

this car is gonna end up such a mix of assorted different cars

^ early E24 sports wheel, also picked up a 90 amp E30 alternator

Sexy steering wheel! I love the Motorsport striping!

nike001
11-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Just spent an hour and a half peeling off 2 year old plasti-dip from my winter wheels -________-

I'll be re-coating it tomorrow, as well as touching up the rest of the 3. Hopefully I can get em on Saturday or Sunday...

JDDsZHP
11-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Vacuumed my floor mats...again. This black interior may not be good for my low level OCD. :)

Taking it into my Indy shop tomorrow for a baseline maintenance and look through. Bruce, will let you know what they say about the car if you are interested.

danewilson77
11-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Vacuumed my floor mats...again. This black interior may not be good for my low level OCD. :)

Taking it into my Indy shop tomorrow for a baseline maintenance and look through. Bruce, will let you know what they say about the car if you are interested.

If you ever get the inkling.....WeatherTech makes die-cut floor mats for our cars, that basically can just be wiped out. I love them.

JDDsZHP
11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
If you ever get the inkling.....WeatherTech makes die-cut floor mats for our cars, that basically can just be wiped out. I love them.

I looked at those. Then my post would probably just read "Wiped out my WeatherTechs....again"

danewilson77
11-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Ha! Sure......but you would have had to drag out the vacuum.

BCS_ZHP
11-15-2012, 06:56 PM

John,
I believe I addressed everything I knew/thought needed to be done, will be curious as to what your Indy says.

Picked up the new family SUV today, also received the new tires, dropped both off at my Indy for install tomorrow. Always love getting new shoes.

UdubBadger
11-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Just spent an hour and a half peeling off 2 year old plasti-dip from my winter wheels -________-

I'll be re-coating it tomorrow, as well as touching up the rest of the 3. Hopefully I can get em on Saturday or Sunday...

Just got mine on tonight.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

alexandre
11-15-2012, 07:18 PM

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

These reps or OE ? Plasti-dip ?

UdubBadger
11-15-2012, 07:19 PM
OEMs dipped

nike001
11-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Looks good! If I were to run my 135's in the winter I'd be torn with whether or not to dip them. I probably would for protection. I guess I'll see next winter if these pirelli winters I'm selling don't move...

danewilson77
11-15-2012, 07:21 PM

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Looks great Seth.

JKO_ZHP
11-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Went over to eas (European Auto Source) earlier today to check it out. Looked like a legit place, made me :drool
There was a decked out white E92 M3 and F10 M5 out front with a bunch of sponsor decals and etc., had to be their project cars. Also a Z4M.

It seriously looked like an E92 M3 safehouse. Besides their own, there were a couple others in the garage and outside. I asked about some parts for the ZHP and the guy tells me they mainly focus on the M models :rolleyes

Johal E32
11-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Did the winter detail on the wagon earlier today.. She turned out great! I am just letting the Wolfgang sealent cure for the next 12 hours, then I will hit it with two coats of wax.

the downside is I will have to pick up my younger brother tomorrow from school and it's going to rain all day tomorrow :/

nike001
11-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Did the winter detail on the wagon earlier today.. She turned out great! I am just letting the Wolfgang sealent cure for the next 12 hours, then I will hit it with two coats of wax.

the downside is I will have to pick up my younger brother tomorrow from school and it's going to rain all day tomorrow :/

Haha, that happened to me the day after I did my winter detail - rain.

I hit mine with my PC and I did a good job with no holograms.. until I noticed my door pillars. Damn!

UdubBadger
11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
thanks D, gonna touch um up a bit tomorrow (which is why i left the caps off)

Johal E32
11-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Haha, that happened to me the day after I did my winter detail - rain.

I hit mine with my PC and I did a good job with no holograms.. until I noticed my door pillars. Damn!

The gloss black part?! I know I would probably overlook them too!

I did a 2k grit wetsand on my hood, then I used a Surbuf pad with PC- Meg's 105 compound, then I did the whole car with a light Menzerna polish on a white pad. I started at 12-30 and finished at 8pm. I took multiple breaks in between and decided to go for a spirited drive after :)

I really like the Wolfgang sealant, it lasted me a good 6 months and the car maintained a good gloss!

Crickett
11-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Rebuilt my DISA! I had an only slightly completely broken bellcrank:

Also cleaned out my ICV while I was there & now I'm just waiting on my new intake boots to get her all buttoned up!

iP5. Tapatalk. Bauce.

acontzhp
11-16-2012, 02:30 AM
I traded in the ZHP for a 2012 tdi golf over the weekend. The price was right and the zhp was beginning to cost me quite a bit of money. I like the golf but I don't feel as sexy as I did when driving the zhp.

Here she is after I said goodbye and emptied her out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

az3579
11-16-2012, 05:20 AM
^^ Noooooooooo!!!!

Hope you're happy with the TDI.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

UdubBadger
11-16-2012, 06:00 AM
:(

Ryans323i
11-16-2012, 08:15 AM
I traded in the ZHP for a 2012 tdi golf over the weekend. The price was right and the zhp was beginning to cost me quite a bit of money. I like the golf but I don't feel as sexy as I did when driving the zhp.

We all make tough decisions. Hope the new ride works out for ya.

Johal E32
11-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Nice trade! I think the golf tdi is a sweet ride! Totally different car from the zhp, but the 50 mpg will be nice!

I hope they bring the golf Gti/tdi over to the states, that would probably be next car if they do :drool:

nike001
11-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Adding my finishing touches of plasti dip to my winters :/

I'll see how they dry and maybe put em on tonight if I don't have anything better to do

acontzhp
11-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Nice trade! I think the golf tdi is a sweet ride! Totally different car from the zhp, but the 50 mpg will be nice!

I hope they bring the golf Gti/tdi over to the states, that would probably be next car if they do :drool:

Yeah that car is sweet. It's called the "GTD".

jayjay_dee
11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Ordered pins and clips for my black cube trims (orange clips are so easy to break) plus all weather cargo mat for the ZHP...

Ordered Led lic plate lights, white Led H8 (angel eyes), and black floor liners for the e70...

GMATT
11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Ordered pins and clips for my black cube trims (orange clips are so easy to break) plus all weather cargo mat for the ZHP...

Ordered Led lic plate lights, white Led H8 (angel eyes), and black floor liners for the e70...

Where did you get the items for the Black Cube, I also have 2 broken clips:(

Sent from my fancy telephone!

zhpnsnv
11-16-2012, 02:45 PM
So today I was a helicopter parent for my BMW. Annoyed that it hadn't left the port in Germany yet after sitting there for 2.5 weeks, I contacted my dealer and told him that I'd have to cancel the deal if this thing wasn't going to get on a boat soon.

Update came through that it's on a boat with its swim trunks and its flippie-floppies; it's flipping burgers, you at Kinko's Straight flipping copies.

The boat is called "Porgy." Don't know what else to say about that.

webster
11-16-2012, 03:18 PM
So today I was a helicopter parent for my BMW. Annoyed that it hadn't left the port in Germany yet after sitting there for 2.5 weeks, I contacted my dealer and told him that I'd have to cancel the deal if this thing wasn't going to get on a boat soon.

Update came through that it's on a boat with its swim trunks and its flippie-floppies; it's flipping burgers, you at Kinko's Straight flipping copies.

should name your car "Bess"

JupiterBMW
11-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Well, as much as my bank account didn't want me to, I ordered a replacement for my cracked Style 135. To be exact, I ordered 4 replacements... :shifty

UdubBadger
11-16-2012, 03:22 PM
you shoulda just ordered 4 VMRs from me ;)

JupiterBMW
11-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Sorry homey, I would've but VMR didn't have anything that I wanted...

danewilson77
11-16-2012, 03:42 PM

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=351126000

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/schiffe_carcarrier_porgy_20090824_1_9409338_bhv_ba rth_h007-130.jpg

ryankokesh
11-16-2012, 03:55 PM
That's strange... Why'd it come from Sweden?

JupiterBMW
11-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Most ships make more than one stop. If you look before Goteborg, it was in Bremerhaven. Chances are, Marc's new car was loaded there. If you notice, it was in Sweden for less than 24 hours...

UdubBadger
11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Sorry homey, I would've but VMR didn't have anything that I wanted...

I meant my custom powdercoated ones I just took off my car. ;)

JupiterBMW
11-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Ohhhhh, gotcha... Yeah, I didn't really want to spend the money right now, but knowing that I have 4 new, perfect rims will make me happy. Assuming I'm the only one that drives the car, they should stay perfect, at least without curb rash..

zhpnsnv
11-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Ya loaded in Germany than up to Sweden then back down. It's going to the uk then Halifax then ny. Woohoo!

HokieZHP
11-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Look into tunes for it and it'll be just as fast if not faster than your ZHP.

UdubBadger
11-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Look into tunes for it and it'll be just as fast if not faster than your ZHP.

Oh don't u worry he and I have been talking...

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

JupiterBMW
11-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Well this is more of what have I been doing for my ZHP for the last couple of days, and the following week, but here's a couple teaser pics...

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S... :shifty

Crickett
11-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Ooooh, Jon's getting some wheel well bling! :thumbup

Last night I replaced my upper & lower intake boots; each had a pretty big hole in the usual place. I suspect those leaks were the source of my rough, low idle.

zhpnsnv
11-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Well this is more of what have I been doing for my ZHP for the last couple of days, and the following week, but here's a couple teaser pics...

I think those rotors are spinning the wrong way. If the holes are directional to the vanes, then they should be expelling air not taking it in. Could be wrong but this is how BMW perf rotors are installed.

midlandtech
11-17-2012, 11:24 AM
spent 3 hours polishing in final prep for winter.

JupiterBMW
11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
I think those rotors are spinning the wrong way. If the holes are directional to the vanes, then they should be expelling air not taking it in. Could be wrong but this is how BMW perf rotors are installed.

Nah they're correct. The vanes on the front are straight, but the rears are directional, and the holes are opposite of the internal vents. So the fronts could technically be swapped, but they will match the rears.

Alobi
11-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Woke up early this morning and cleaned the MAF, DISA, ICV and throttle body, and also replaced the lower intake boot (thought that was the culprit of a high pitched squeal when accelerating - after finishing, the squeal has subsided partially but you can still hear it a little when the driver window is down).

Took me about 3 hours total at a leisurely pace. I'm stoked that everything went so smoothly :cool

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8062/8194848864_c1e276e372_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8194848864/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8194849116_e2ddd6e3de_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8194849116/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8193756457_dd45a22f5e_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193756457/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8208/8194849376_b062904f45_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8194849376/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8479/8193756823_5cf416b59d_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193756823/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8193757155_1b68a72e98_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193757155/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8349/8194850032_8840d079c3_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8194850032/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8194850290_952bc4291a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8194850290/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8193757757_f19b48bffe_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193757757/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8058/8194850818_38e44d66e8_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8194850818/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8068/8194851038_6c542fc559_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8194851038/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8489/8193758537_152bb213d0_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193758537/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8069/8193758775_a0041a3bcb_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193758775/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8197/8193758979_ed4d29f5bd_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193758979/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8068/8193759211_f3f6f4f48c_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193759211/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8209/8194852126_e25f0d6679_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8194852126/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8194852460_b0a9bde453_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8194852460/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8058/8193759957_894afdec42_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193759957/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8481/8193760227_3b7664abfa_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193760227/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8349/8193760623_4e2ac76b76_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8193760623/)

danewilson77
11-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Well done. You put that K&N in there?

Alobi
11-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Well done. You put that K&N in there?

Nah PO did. I read somewhere else that that might be the culprit of the squeal when accelerating. Someone else had a squeal, took off their K&N and put stock airbox back on, and squeal went away. I might just have to live with it because I don't want the stock box back on.

danewilson77
11-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Nah PO did. I read somewhere else that that might be the culprit of the squeal when accelerating. Someone else had a squeal, took off their K&N and put stock airbox back on, and squeal went away. I might just have to live with it because I don't want the stock box back on.

Pulleys = Squeal?

Hornung418
11-17-2012, 04:19 PM
I think you're confusing a whistle for a squeal.

Sent from my GSIII, bitches.

Alobi
11-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Whistle is probably much more accurate. Definitely not a pulley squeal.

I was sitting here for like 5 minutes trying to think of a word for it and squeal is all that came to mind :blink

BCS_ZHP
11-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm looking at your DISA seal (the big round orange o-ring) and its definitely flattened out when it should be voluptuous and protruding like collagen injected lips. Try replacing that (try GAS website) and I think your whistle will be gone.

Hornung418
11-17-2012, 04:55 PM
If you have an open filter you'll hear a whistle at partial throttle.

Johal E32
11-17-2012, 05:17 PM
My inner "ricer" came out today..

I bought an OEM BMW aero kit for pre-face sedans (super RARE). I asked the seller for some pictures of the content, he opened it and the front lip had a twist, I opted out and got a full refund.

I'll stick to my original plan of a full oem m-tech 2.

Then, I bought some red 1156 48 LED bulbs for the back up lights on the wagon :shifty I think it'll look cool, and it will be super bright, it's just kinda ricey, lol.

I also bought some 48 led's for the turn signal part of the rear lights, if they work out good, I will buy some for the parking light and brake lights. I really like LED's for their instant on/off when they flash, they just look so much sharper than oe halogens..

zhp43867
11-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Sup guys? I stepped out for a minute but I'm back now.

I've missed this place.

:wub

In other news this ZHP might be a little rough around the edges- but it seems like a great deal! I dunno if it has been posted, but the going rate is $7600!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=954544

danewilson77
11-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Sup guys? I stepped out for a minute but I'm back now.

I've missed this place.

:wub

In other news this ZHP might be a little rough around the edges- but it seems like a great deal! I dunno if it has been posted, but the going rate is $7600!

Good seeing you.

Johal E32
11-17-2012, 05:26 PM
^ i saw that. Just needs some basic tlc. A good detail, some new plugs, new fluids, new filters, new belts, and enjoy the piss out of it!

It might not even the service, even though it's only $250 or so from autohaus az..

He does mention it only needs tires and he has all paper work!

Alobi
11-17-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm looking at your DISA seal (the big round orange o-ring) and its definitely flattened out when it should be voluptuous and protruding like collagen injected lips. Try replacing that (try GAS website) and I think your whistle will be gone.

Voluptuous lmao. Good call - will do that soon.

And thanks for the info Hornung. Good to know.

danewilson77
11-17-2012, 06:39 PM

And where exactly would one acquire a DISA oring? BMW surely doesn't make one. :)

I'll let you finish it off.

BCS_ZHP
11-17-2012, 06:49 PM
GAS sells them, only a 12 bucks for the top of the line silicone one and then you're dancing with Anjolliene Jolllie.

JupiterBMW
11-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Well, more progress on the brakes this evening. Got 3 of 4 new rotors installed (TMS sent me TWO left rear rotors, have to get one swapped for a right rear), and the front calipers are all painted up and ready for install. So, tomorrow I will bolt up the new front brake setup (lines, calipers, and pads) and continue working on the rear. I also laid out the Dinan muffler and got the OEM pipes marked for cutting. I need a metal blade for the sawzall, but I will handle that tomorrow as well.

Slow and steady progress... I find that when I only work on it for a couple hours at a time, I enjoy it more, and I take my time more. :) That being said, the brakes will probably take me a full week. :facepalm

Aaaaand I'm out for the night. Catch you all in the morning.

Hermes
11-17-2012, 08:23 PM
^ what rotors did you get? Only my fronts were side specific

-------

in other news, the E21 got a Euro high reflective yellow plate w/blue lettering, my correct registration numbers, military mark, Munich reg sticker, and BMW Autohaus München plate mount/frame

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/320i/8B185674-728C-41F2-B61A-D9E8070ABCFC-241-0000002239A59CE3.jpg

I like the color on the car, especially the fact that it is the opposite of my real blue and yellow plates

wsmeyer
11-17-2012, 09:18 PM

+5

Somethings strange. I know you've been on a boat the last 3 months so to confirm... the rotors on the bow have veins that come straight out from the center so they can go on either side but the ones on the stern have curved veins so there's a specific right / left??

JupiterBMW
11-18-2012, 04:16 AM

I purchased the Turner performance cross drilled rotors. They're Centric rotors, which I believe are manufactured by Stop Tech... At least that's what all the boxes and papers inside the box say... As for being side specific, see below.

+5

Somethings strange. I know you've been on a boat the last 3 months so to confirm... the rotors on the bow have veins that come straight out from the center so they can go on either side but the ones on the stern have curved veins so there's a specific right / left??

Real funny... :rofl As for my rotors, the fronts have straight cooling vanes, so technically they are not side specific. The rears on the other hand have directional cooling vanes, so they are side specific.

Everyone knows that the direction of the holes doesn't matter for braking and/or cooling... Well on the rear rotors, when installed with the internal cooling vanes in the correct direction (expelling air from rotor hat, not pulling it in) the holes are opposite (hence the term CROSS drilling)... Picture below is for reference... My rear rotor...

So, to coincide with this look on the rears, I put the fronts on with the holes in the same orientation...

Well that's the drivers side which is all good. Now, looking at the passenger side, we see the front is also as it should be...

But the right rear is backwards. The internal cooling vanes are also backwards, proving this to be a left only rotor...

The ironic part is that the fronts and rears were all marked with L and R and the markings coincide for all rotors, further proving that I have two left rears...

Of course it's a weekend, so I have to wait until tomorrow when Turner is open.

danewilson77
11-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Such bullshit.

+6

JupiterBMW
11-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Such bullshit.

+6

Agreed... I could probably finish this job this weekend, but instead the car will sit on stands through the rest of the weekend, waiting. Of course, if I get the other 3 wheels done, I can work on swapping the exhaust... :)

Quicky update, passenger front is done, looks very OEM with the black calipers, but also looks oh so sexy... :biggrin

cakM3
11-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Today I installed one of my First Aid boxes :) The ZHP was the first and I'm pleased with the results :thumbsup

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/2e8u6ama.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/atypeta9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/bejedy6e.jpg

UdubBadger
11-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Nice Charlie!

What's the supply list contain in those bad boys anyway?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

zhp43867
11-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Very nice! I've always meant to pick one of those up.

One question I have is does it cause any rattles? I remember some European owner mentioned something about them possibly rattling, and I hate rattles!

328ioc
11-18-2012, 08:21 AM
If you have an open filter you'll hear a whistle at partial throttle.

This....My AFE whistles as does my buddies home build long tube.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

nike001
11-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Finally get my winter tires on after submitting my summers to many cold days... And now the forecast is 50 for the rest of the week, and 55 from thurs-sun. Ohhh my life

danewilson77
11-18-2012, 10:47 AM
LOL.....never fails.

JupiterBMW
11-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Move to warm weather... No such thing as "winter tires"... :biggrin

Local weather check: 78*, sunny with a light breeze.

Hornung418
11-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Today I installed one of my First Aid boxes :) The ZHP was the first and I'm pleased with the results :thumbsup

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/2e8u6ama.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/atypeta9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/18/bejedy6e.jpg

What the hell is wrong with your thigh bolster?! That looks dreadful.

cakM3
11-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Justin, that's what happens when you are using the BMW seat covers

They look that way after the seat covers are installed. I could care less how they look since they are there to "protect" my aging alcantara seats....

On another note, got the first aid box installed in the ///M as well.... and no Justin, not using seat covers over my black Nappa Leather interior....

UdubBadger
11-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Finally get my winter tires on after submitting my summers to many cold days... And now the forecast is 50 for the rest of the week, and 55 from thurs-sun. Ohhh my life

same partner... oh well.

Hornung418
11-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Couldn't see the details on the phone.

cakM3
11-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Nice Charlie!

What's the supply list contain in those bad boys anyway?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Seth, not sure what is on the supply list and will look into it. Just glad Stuart had these and I was able to get them...:thumbsup

Very nice! I've always meant to pick one of those up.

One question I have is does it cause any rattles? I remember some European owner mentioned something about them possibly rattling, and I hate rattles!

Derek,

Haven't had any rattle issues as of yet! :thumbsup

terraphantm
11-18-2012, 12:05 PM
F10 M5 shift knob

http://i.imgur.com/02MVIl.jpg

For once my procrastination paid off :D

cakM3
11-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Looks great Terra! :thumbsup How was the fitment?

BimmerWill
11-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Agreed... I could probably finish this job this weekend, but instead the car will sit on stands through the rest of the weekend, waiting. Of course, if I get the other 3 wheels done, I can work on swapping the exhaust... :)

Quicky update, passenger front is done, looks very OEM with the black calipers, but also looks oh so sexy... :biggrin

I noticed this as well with my stoptech rotors...I was too excited with them in the installation that I didn't notice the direction of the holes rotating different on the front then on the rear. Im hoping that in my giddiness I just put the wrong side on the left/right which caused them to go in the opposite direction. The fronts are going in the opposite direction as the ones in your pic. Hoping I can just swap sides. They've been this way for a quite a while but my pcs hasn't kicked in enough for me to take them off and swap them.

May do it when I do a refresh on my caliper paint.

328ioc
11-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Definitely interested on how the fitment went.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Alobi
11-18-2012, 02:27 PM
F10 M5 shift knob

Looks good :thumbsup

JupiterBMW
11-18-2012, 03:46 PM
I noticed this as well with my stoptech rotors...I was too excited with them in the installation that I didn't notice the direction of the holes rotating different on the front then on the rear. Im hoping that in my giddiness I just put the wrong side on the left/right which caused them to go in the opposite direction. The fronts are going in the opposite direction as the ones in your pic. Hoping I can just swap sides. They've been this way for a quite a while but my pcs hasn't kicked in enough for me to take them off and swap them.

May do it when I do a refresh on my caliper paint.

In terms of the fronts, yes you can swap side to side without problem. The cooling vanes are straight, so they really aren't side specific. It's all a preference at that point for the aesthetics of the holes. The rears on the other hand are directional as the internal cooling vanes are curved. So you may have your backs on correctly or incorrectly, or perhaps one of each like what I received.

Either way, it's all very dumb and Turner is getting a phone call in the morning.

wsmeyer
11-18-2012, 04:49 PM
In terms of the fronts, yes you can swap side to side without problem. The cooling vanes are straight, so they really aren't side specific. It's all a preference at that point for the aesthetics of the holes. The rears on the other hand are directional as the internal cooling vanes are curved. So you may have your backs on correctly or incorrectly, or perhaps one of each like what I received.

Either way, it's all very dumb and Turner is getting a phone call in the morning.

What I found so strange is I've ever only seen straight veins on rear disks. I was always under the impression that curved veins were far more efficient than straight veins.

William.

JupiterBMW
11-18-2012, 05:20 PM
What I found so strange is I've ever only seen straight veins on rear disks. I was always under the impression that curved veins were far more efficient than straight veins.

William.

Yes and yes... You are correct, the curved vanes are more efficient, assuming of course they're installed in the correct direction. The vanes are meant to mimic an impeller on a pump. So, I was actually quite surprised when I found that the front rotors have the straight vanes, yet the rears have the curved vanes. That seems sort of backwards to what would make the most sense. Seeing as how the front brakes typically handle most of the stopping, you'd think the more efficient curved vanes would be on the fronts and straights on the rear...

The rotors that came off the car had the same setup though, so apparently that's how BMW meant for it to be... And no matter what we may think, they have a LOT more time and money invested into R&D than we'll ever have... So if that's what they intended, that's fine with me...

toddness
11-18-2012, 06:29 PM
So I actually had the time to start cleaning my ZHP today. First time really since I bought it in March. Got through removing the wheels and a thorough washing and waxing, and cleaned the wheel wells, strut assemblies, etc. while they were off .

The wheels only saw a few thousand miles since I bought them two months ago, so they weren't so bad. The wheel wells took a bit more effort. Solid 4 hours.

Still need to clean up the wax a bit, but getting close anyway. Hope to get through a good exterior clean tomorrow, maybe some clay/wax too.

JDDsZHP
11-18-2012, 06:32 PM
CDV delete!

Had them do it as part of baselining all the fluids. Oil change. Flushed transmission and diff. Bled brake and clutch. Brake fluid was new when Bruce swapped the calipers before purchase. Indy shop noticed it was brand new even though I forgot to tell them. Great service.

Now, CDV delete:
When I first got the car, I thought I was having trouble with the clutch because I hadn't driven a MT in a while. I was slipping the clutch on shft 1-2 during spirited 0-60 runs. I think I was getting on the throttle too soon, and never could get the feel of the clutch engaging.

Also, when driving it back to Atlanta after picking it up, I got the chance to experience DC area rush hour traffic. Its a lot like ATL...lots of creeping along. I had always been able to creep in a MT by just engaging the clutch enough with just engine idle to move along on flat ground. I could never get this car to do that. I always needed some revs just to creep. Annoying.

After CDV delete, I am happy to say the car now feels like it should. Much more control over the engagement point, and I can shift much smoother. Took it out for my weekend drive about today, and the car feels so much better. Very happy to have run across that mod.

I am also now able to creep along at just idle too. That will come in handy as I don't see ATL traffic really ever getting any better.

BCS_ZHP
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Great find on the CDV John. Sounds like your weekend warrior is finding some daily driver time, can't blame you.

Preston is home from college for Thanksgiving, he said anytime you grow tired of that ZHP he'll jump on a plane to come retrieve it.

JDDsZHP
11-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Great find on the CDV John. Sounds like your weekend warrior is finding some daily driver time, can't blame you.

Preston is home from college for Thanksgiving, he said anytime you grow tired of that ZHP he'll jump on a plane to come retrieve it.

Yeah, it has been my daily pretty much since I brought it home. Will swap it out for the truck this weekend so I can bring back firewood after Thanksgiving, but will have it back by the weekend for a run through the N GA mountains. I just love driving it.

BTW, the car checked out great on my service appt. They did see that the VCG is leaking from rear corner as PPI had noted. He thinks maybe it was a bad gasket because he agreed it was fairly new. He also reproduced the leak by putting the nose in the air like I had noticed when I was idled on an incline.

BCS_ZHP
11-18-2012, 07:11 PM
If I was nearby, I'd help you do the VCG replacement, it's an easy DIY.

terraphantm
11-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes and yes... You are correct, the curved vanes are more efficient, assuming of course they're installed in the correct direction. The vanes are meant to mimic an impeller on a pump. So, I was actually quite surprised when I found that the front rotors have the straight vanes, yet the rears have the curved vanes. That seems sort of backwards to what would make the most sense. Seeing as how the front brakes typically handle most of the stopping, you'd think the more efficient curved vanes would be on the fronts and straights on the rear...

The rotors that came off the car had the same setup though, so apparently that's how BMW meant for it to be... And no matter what we may think, they have a LOT more time and money invested into R&D than we'll ever have... So if that's what they intended, that's fine with me...

Odd. The BMW performance rotors definitely had curved vanes in the front and straight in the rear. The US-spec E46 M3 is set up the same way (euro spec and all ZCP/CSL M3s get curved vanes all around). I don't remember there being left/right specific part numbers for the 330

Are your rotors OE?

Hermes
11-18-2012, 08:02 PM
terra makes a good point, who made the rotors you took off the car? I will also agree to his description of the vanes in the performance rotors as those are what are on my car now

JupiterBMW
11-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Odd. The BMW performance rotors definitely had curved vanes in the front and straight in the rear. The US-spec E46 M3 is set up the same way (euro spec and all ZCP/CSL M3s get curved vanes all around). I don't remember there being left/right specific part numbers for the 330

Are your rotors OE?

terra makes a good point, who made the rotors you took off the car? I will also agree to his description of the vanes in the performance rotors as those are what are on my car now

As far as I know, my rotors are OEM. For the amount of wear on them versus the mileage on the car, they must be original, or the PO was an extremely late braker. Either way, they had straight vanes up front and curved in the rear. I agree it's odd...

Anyone on here that is original owner with original brake rotors want to verify the cooling vanes in their rotors? :biggrin

Crestwood1001
11-19-2012, 03:30 PM
On my way to work this morning I heard a snap, smelled burning rubber, about 5 mins later my battery light popped on. I knew the accessory belt was gone, I pulled into a gas station and as I was parking the temp started rising and I lost power steering, luckily I parked and shut it off before the needle got past 3 quarters of the way up. Had to get to work so I had it towed home via AAA, it was the tensioner and idler pulley. I have spares and will be installing tonight. I'm lucky it didn't overheat

Beau B
11-19-2012, 05:38 PM
New upper/lower intake boots and a new MAF..

MiniD
11-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Are you keeping your car now, Beau?

KevinC
11-19-2012, 06:59 PM
A week or so ago: new rear brakes: new Zimmerman rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. Should keep wheels MUCH cleaner. Bad news: fronts still have lots of wear left and are the stock filthy pads.

Saturday: rear ended in SoCal! Fuuuuuucccccc... 1st estimate: just under $3k. I stalled it leaving a red light, dude behind me in giant pickup just gunned it on green and slammed into me at about 10 mph. Moving back and forth between my M Coupe and the ZHP is tricky because the clutches are SO much different. Mile long throw and cushy engagement on the ZHP (CDV still in place), much shorter throw and very abrupt engagement in the M (CDV is gone). He's insured by Mercury, who sucks hind tit, hopefully I won't have any hassles with them.

Excellent 2-man shop fixed very similar damage on GF's car 2 years ago to absolute perfection, so I'll have it done there. Not EVEN posting pics of the carnage. :(

Sockethead
11-19-2012, 07:22 PM
New upper/lower intake boots and a new MAF..
Why did you replace the MAF? was it definitely bad?

JupiterBMW
11-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Well, until I exhaust ALL avenues, I will hold off on finishing my brakes. I'm still waiting to figure out the rear rotor situation.

So, tonight, I put a couple more coats of paint on the rear calipers, and also took the time to install my Dinan exhaust. Full install from start to completely finished took about 2 hours, taking my time to text Charlie and a couple others. :biggrin

I haven't started the car with it on there, but I will soon... The quality is top notch and the instructions were clear. The only confusing part, the instructions mentioned blocking off the vacuum line that goes to the exhaust flap solenoid... I assume this is an ///M thing, because I know I didn't have anything of the sort...

zhpnsnv
11-19-2012, 07:37 PM
No it's actually a regular 330i thing but not present on ZHP.

JupiterBMW
11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
No it's actually a regular 330i thing but not present on ZHP.

Oh, ok... Cool I s'pose!

Sockethead
11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Oh, ok... Cool I s'pose!
Yea, most people permanently open the flap on the 330 I'm glad it's not on the ZHP. It's sole purpose is the make the exhaust quieter at certain times.

I'm looking forward to your review of the Dinan exhaust :thumbsup

Johal E32
11-19-2012, 08:18 PM
F10 M5 shift knob

For once my procrastination paid off :D

Hey, what kind of trim is in your car? Carbon fiber? Or is that zhp cube trim?

Hermes
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Saturday: rear ended in SoCal! Fuuuuuucccccc... 1st estimate: just under $3k. I stalled it leaving a red light, dude behind me in giant pickup just gunned it on green and slammed into me at about 10 mph. Moving back and forth between my M Coupe and the ZHP is tricky because the clutches are SO much different. Mile long throw and cushy engagement on the ZHP (CDV still in place), much shorter throw and very abrupt engagement in the M (CDV is gone)

damn, sorry to hear. I have that same issue when I go between the 2002/E21 and my brother's Corolla or my F550 delivery truck... the Toyota clutch has a significantly longer travel and the truck has a release point almost at the floor (that thing also has a throw nearly a mile long and grinds every time you throw it in first, synchro is going). Hopefully everything works out fine.

Just wondering but where exactly did this happen in SoCal?

terraphantm
11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey, what kind of trim is in your car? Carbon fiber? Or is that zhp cube trim?

It's CF - previous owner installed it. No idea who makes it

RITmusic2k
11-20-2012, 01:13 PM
I finally got sick of my loose A-pillar fabric and decided to do something about it. I don't have the time to try a full disassembly and glue repair, but on a hunch I tried simply removing the fabric. Turns out that with the charcoal ZHP interior, leaving the pillars bare looks fine enough to be a temporary solution while I wait for the time and budget and motivation to get replacement ones.

I did have to pry out the screw covers, and from there I just peeled the fabric off. It tore a little around one of the screws but there wasn't enough material left to interfere with the cover when I replaced it. Looks much better to me than cloth-covered pillars with flappy ends.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hZVXtzhDcvI/UKEotJskoFI/AAAAAAAACiE/zxTgOIc62K0/s800/3662FC6A-9B42-42AE-8B64-5515E3FD33E8.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mwdaUB3iO7k/UKEot9KDwFI/AAAAAAAACiM/3tr6Qs1yGUw/s800/7277CBE4-3EC6-49B3-B03C-04B3F783F83E.JPG

JupiterBMW
11-20-2012, 01:27 PM
^^ Very cool, looks pretty good!

webster
11-20-2012, 02:06 PM
thats what i did to my pass side B-Pillar...

danewilson77
11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Ha. Nice job. My pillars were white underneath.

Alobi
11-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Started working on my sunroof last weekend but I didn't have time to finish. The shade fell off track so I took it apart and found a few pieces broken. I also found that the sunroof driver was bent a little upwards so it would glide over the sliding pieces on the shade that pushes it forward and backward, so I bought some thin pieces of aluminum from the hardware store and used epoxy to affix it to the sliding pieces to make them thicker and easier to be caught by the driver. Will see if it works when I put everything together this weekend.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8200/8203913927_ec1c78e5c6_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8203913927/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8205006420_20b1d2ebef_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8205006420/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8481/8205006826_75375fb930_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8205006826/)

This stuff is complete shit.. DO NOT USE. The bond didn't hold for shit. I bought some good epoxy from Lowe's after this stuff failed me.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8068/8203914869_3bd7283a65_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8203914869/)

You can't really see it, but this pic shows how the driver would just pass right over that sliding piece:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8203915895_0e738cf91a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8203915895/)

So I did this:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8481/8203915999_ebae2f8c30_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8203915999/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8210/8205008398_bebb68ef52_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8205008398/)

Added it to both of them just to be safe:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8205008988_64141deff0_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90183204@N03/8205008988/)

jayjay_dee
11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Where did you get the items for the Black Cube, I also have 2 broken clips:(

Gary, I ordered the pins and clips from GetBMWParts.com

Pin = 51 45 8 266 808 ($2.15)

Orange clip = 51 45 8 266 814 ($0.71)

I got them plus some other stuff and shipping was about $12.

nike001
11-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Alobi, you got it easy. I took my sunroof out, and the metal things from your first picture were twisted like cinnamon rolls. Therefore making for a whole useless sunshade. Been rocking the car without one and it's annoying since I like(d) to keep it closed most of the time. Just don't want to drop $100 for a new one just yet...

Alobi
11-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Alobi, you got it easy. I took my sunroof out, and the metal things from your first picture were twisted like cinnamon rolls. Therefore making for a whole useless sunshade. Been rocking the car without one and it's annoying since I like(d) to keep it closed most of the time. Just don't want to drop $100 for a new one just yet...

Damn. I can imagine mine would have looked like that if I kept trying to use it. Are the bent beyond home repair? If you can get them somewhat straight again with a pliers or something... The only thing they do is keep the shade in its track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KevinC
11-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Just wondering but where exactly did this happen in SoCal?

On Valley View in Garden Grove, heading towards my former home of Huntington Beach.

Found out yesterday the kid who hit me has told his adjuster that I either backed up or "rolled into" him. Riiiight, I always roll backwards on level ground when leaving green lights, or just throw it into reverse. They had best not take his side and refuse to cover the claim - I'm not letting my insurer (State Farm) pay, I'll sue the JAMF in small claims in California, tacking on my travel expense to file & testify, and ask for "diminished value" as a result of the damage repair. And I'll win, though how much above the actual damage might get awarded, I have no idea. What a clusterfuck.

JKO_ZHP
11-20-2012, 09:16 PM
On Valley View in Garden Grove

:facepalm

Hermes
11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
On Valley View in Garden Grove, heading towards my former home of Huntington Beach.

Found out yesterday the kid who hit me has told his adjuster that I either backed up or "rolled into" him. Riiiight, I always roll backwards on level ground when leaving green lights, or just throw it into reverse. They had best not take his side and refuse to cover the claim - I'm not letting my insurer (State Farm) pay, I'll sue the JAMF in small claims in California, tacking on my travel expense to file & testify, and ask for "diminished value" as a result of the damage repair. And I'll win, though how much above the actual damage might get awarded, I have no idea. What a clusterfuck.

Honestly, I hate driving in metro LA... the last time the ZHP was there was 2008 when I bought her. I completely understand the frustration you are currently going through.

-------

I guess I'll vent on the ZHP here...

so late Thursday (I think?) night I turned her on just to move cars around, she sounded like schiesse and SES came on so I turned her off right away and left her alone. In the morning I called the stealer and made an appt for 7am Monday with the current president of the local CCA chapter as my tech, saw him at Big SoCal Euro on Saturday and gave him my assessment of issues. Started it up Monday morning, no issues (ran perfect) besides SES light on. Drove appx 20 miles to SoCounty, dropped off for service/got E90 335i loaner (win!). Stored codes for misfires on four of six cylinders, RR hub bearings need replacement. All coils test fine, fuel pump tests fine, Nick will do one last test and check the oil separator tomorrow. I'm so happy I bought the E21 and can store the last 10k miles on my extended warranty!

cakM3
11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
This morning I took my ///M out for a drive....I drove down to Newport just so I could get a good run on the car. When I drove back I found a spot where I could take it up and let the car rip. Nice part of taking the day off is going at a time where there's very minimum traffic...anyway I just wanted to say that it was very intoxicating hearing my S54 rip over 7000rpm :drool :drool :drool

Man did my ///M want to fly!!! Just the pull as the car was ripping along was an awesome feeling....80mph comes really quick, that's for sure!!! Then I took some side roads where there were plenty of twisties....yeah, I had a blast today :biggrin Anyway, the ///M is tucked away back in it's home for awhile....I feel content ;)

Vas
11-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Now you are making me rethink on which direction I want to go with my zhp. S54 swap or boost.

JupiterBMW
11-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, after the replacement caliper and a few small odds and ends, the brakes on the car are officially complete. I still have to bleed (waiting for my wife to come out to the garage....) but after she's bled, I'm going to put her on the ground and hopefully get a good drive in today and get them settled in nicely. :) Very excited to feel the brakes and also hear the new exhaust!

cakM3
11-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Now you are making me rethink on which direction I want to go with my zhp. S54 swap or boost.

VAS....I have the best of both worlds....I have my ZHP (which I will put a ESS Twin Screw in someday), and my ///M3. Both cars have their characters which I enjoy so I have no need for anything else...;)

@Jon, glad to see things coming together for your ZHP! :thumbsup

Vas
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I am just itching to dig into the zhp and do something cool. And since I own another car with boost, that addiction is there. But an s54 swap would be also awesome since the e46 m3 is not that appealing to me but the motor is.

Johal E32
11-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Do both. S54 until you get bored, then boost it for even more excitement.

JupiterBMW
11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
@Jon, glad to see things coming together for your ZHP! :thumbsup

Thanks Charlie! Brakes are flushed and bled with snazzy new ATE blue fluid, wheels are on the ground, and I'm heading out for a test drive. Gonna try and find a quiet piece of road to bed them in, we'll see how it goes. :)

cakM3
11-22-2012, 09:43 AM
This morning I won an auction for a used Sprint Booster for my ZHP. I will be looking to do the Sport Button mod once I receive the sprint booster. Should change how my car drives for the better! Can't wait to get this done!!! :)

az3579
11-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Wobbie received a quick rinse and an interior vacuum.

Stu
11-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Went to go adjust my window because I moved it to far to the left, causing a faint whistle on the highway at 74+. The reason is because a tiny bit of the window is not being sealed by the gasket, causing air to swirl around in there and create a whistle noise. I found out I don't have an E7 Torx, and everything is closed today so I can't get it.

My occupancy sensor is on its way out. If I sit in the passenger seat, the airbag light goes off. If I get out of the seat, the light turns on. If I let it sit for a while, it just mystically fixes itself. It seems to be related to both temperature and how often people sit in the seat.

I'm thinking I will make it a project at this year's ZHP Mafia Meet. That'll be kind of fun to figure out. Anyone wanna help me with that? I'll bring hog ring pliers and new hog rings. I plan on replacing the actual mat rather than doing a bypass.

Good DIY info here:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/47733933/Occupancy-Sensor-Replacement-Gui
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=127666

danewilson77
11-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Went to go adjust my window because I moved it to far to the left, causing a faint whistle on the highway at 74+. The reason is because a tiny bit of the window is not being sealed by the gasket, causing air to swirl around in there and create a whistle noise. I found out I don't have an E7 Torx, and everything is closed today so I can't get it.

My occupancy sensor is on its way out. If I sit in the passenger seat, the airbag light goes off. If I get out of the seat, the light turns on. If I let it sit for a while, it just mystically fixes itself. It seems to be related to both temperature and how often people sit in the seat.

I'm thinking I will make it a project at this year's ZHP Mafia Meet. That'll be kind of fun to figure out. Anyone wanna help me with that? I'll bring hog ring pliers and new hog rings. I plan on replacing the actual mat rather than doing a bypass.

Good DIY info here:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/47733933/Occupancy-Sensor-Replacement-Gui
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=127666

I don't recommend you try to fix that.

Obtw...I have the mat sensor in my shop.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMG_20101226_212145.jpg

Stu
11-22-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't recommend you try to fix that.

Obtw...I have the mat sensor in my shop.
[/IMG]

Yeah I know, it's a bit of a project but I think I can do it. The seat cover is held in by hog rings, shouldn't be too bad if I get a pair of hog ring pliers. I just gotta be slow and methodical.

Is that sensor new, and if so, can you save it for me and I'll give you cash for it at the meet?

Hornung418
11-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Turned my CEL on!

Going to get her emissions inspected tomorrow!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/23/e7aru9uj.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/23/megu9uqe.jpg

Just took some insulated copper wire and touch the LEDs to power the CEL. It's repeatable and hopefully will visually trick the inspectors.

az3579
11-22-2012, 03:28 PM
So the light is not actually functional, right?
Forgive for not knowing, but how come it doesn't come on? Is it your Euro tune that you mentioned before or is it something else?

Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of the Euro tune? Power?

terraphantm
11-22-2012, 04:02 PM
So the light is not actually functional, right?
Forgive for not knowing, but how come it doesn't come on? Is it your Euro tune that you mentioned before or is it something else?

Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of the Euro tune? Power?

In Europe, they didn't have their equivalent of OBDII until MY2001.

Benefits are a more aggressive cam and ignition timings, more linear throttle map, etc... Basically it just feels better and has a slightly broader torque curve.

Hornung418
11-22-2012, 04:13 PM

Benefits are a more aggressive cam and ignition timings, more linear throttle map, etc... Basically it just feels better and has a slightly broader torque curve.

When first coded it and reset adaptations, I was able to chirp the tires all the way through third!!

When I put the headers on I'm certain they will give more power. Looking to dyno above 200 whp.

danewilson77
11-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Yeah I know, it's a bit of a project but I think I can do it. The seat cover is held in by hog rings, shouldn't be too bad if I get a pair of hog ring pliers. I just gotta be slow and methodical.

Is that sensor new, and if so, can you save it for me and I'll give you cash for it at the meet?

It's not new.

az3579
11-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Well there's something for the "what did you learn today" thread. Thanks!

nike001
11-22-2012, 08:52 PM
When first coded it and reset adaptations, I was able to chirp the tires all the way through third!!

...3rd? I can't even catch 2nd lol. With my 255's or my 225 blizzys.

HokieZHP
11-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Chirp the tires going into 3rd?? Jeez I need to get that tune haha

Hornung418
11-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Resetting adaptations was the kicker. And my throttle is cable actuated, so it has more responsiveness for the time being. Working on the conversion to MS43, so that will cause the move to the e-pedal, but with tuning, the delay should be reduced to below five milliseconds.

And Chris...Change that clutch and you'd be surprised what the dual-mass is capable of ;)

Meric
11-22-2012, 09:26 PM

Can you tell me how does not having equivalent of OBD2 related with OBD2 Engine and Later updated ECU?

When I put the headers on I'm certain they will give more power. Looking to dyno above 200 whp.

Yea? Tell me how you did that with almost 200 WHP?

Hornung418
11-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Because torque.

Meric
11-22-2012, 09:39 PM
A diesel engine has a high compression ratio which produces a bigger punch per stroke at low revs than a petrol engine of the same capacity. Your / Our car doesnt have that much torque to turn the wheels faster than it actually goes on the asphalt. A DMF is less necessary on a 6cyl etc because the torque generated by the firing stroke on one cylinder in damped by the relative position of other pistons. Specially on the inline-6..

It wont chirp the wheels even if you have DCT because the gearing ratio wont be enough for engine's power..

Or you probably have some sh!tty tires.

terraphantm
11-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Can you tell me how does not having equivalent of OBD2 related with OBD2 Engine and Later updated ECU?

Uhm.... I'm not really sure what you're trying to ask

Meric
11-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Uhm.... I'm not really sure what you're trying to ask

He changed his engine and probably has MS45 ecu..

You said

"In Europe, they didn't have their equivalent of OBDII until MY2001.

Benefits are a more aggressive cam and ignition timings, more linear throttle map, etc... Basically it just feels better and has a slightly broader torque curve."

Question is how does not having an equivalent of OBDII effects these benefits you said.

Hornung418
11-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Who changed his engine?

Meric
11-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Who changed his engine?

Didnt you do some BMW's updated engine parts like Manifolds and etc? Still thinking you get the same amount of power..

Hornung418
11-22-2012, 10:16 PM
My car has M54B30 intake manifold, long tube intake with a 3.5" diameter x 8 inch filter, pulleys, Stewart WP, and most recently - fresh fuel filter and 24lb/hr injectors.

But, my car is running Siemens MS42 DME. None of that MS45.1 emissions garbage.

Car put down 177 whp and 200 torque back in 2010. that was completely stock save the manifold and an AFE drop-in filter.

My car is in top shape now and I'm expecting to get it dynoed before and after my DME conversion. MS43 is more capable than the MS42 and I want to run the larger Throttle Body but retain the cruise control; Something not offered by the current aftermarket Cable actuated Throttle Bodies. So OEM it is!

And for the record, I do think the tires may have been worn in the rear the first time I got the car coded. I have not dynoed since 2010, but the car put down 200 torques at the wheels...that's pretty impressive for a car with failing VANOS seals at the time of the dyno.

Hermes
11-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Unless you change the inner guts (cam/crank/rods/pistons/etc) of the motor I don't consider that "changing the engine." Everything else is essentially a bolt on mod in my book.

Hornung418
11-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Unless you change the inner guts (cam/crank/rods/pistons/etc) of the motor I don't consider that "changing the engine." Everything else is essentially a bolt on mod in my book.
+1

terraphantm
11-22-2012, 10:29 PM
He changed his engine and probably has MS45 ecu..

You said

"In Europe, they didn't have their equivalent of OBDII until MY2001.

Benefits are a more aggressive cam and ignition timings, more linear throttle map, etc... Basically it just feels better and has a slightly broader torque curve."

Question is how does not having an equivalent of OBDII effects these benefits you said.

A) He has MS42.

B) If you look at the post I quoted, there were multiple questions:
"Forgive for not knowing, but how come it doesn't come on? Is it your Euro tune that you mentioned before or is it something else?

Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of the Euro tune? Power?"

In my response, the first line was in response to the first group of questions. Statement after the break was in response to the question after the break.

Hermes
11-22-2012, 10:41 PM
I would think that the answer to B (or C?) is yes, more power. Every recent (last 30 years?) BMW I can think of seems to have more power in the tune on non-North American models. This opinion understands the fact that some cars came to NA with different engines (e.g. E36 M3), but many came with merely a different tune to the same engine that was offered in other markets.

Edit: Hell, now that I think about it my E21 (101hp) was offered outside NA with the same engine but a different tune that didn't need to deal with smog - 125hp

nike001
11-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Found my new BFF for my alcantara wheel cleaning. I'm meticulous about driving with clean hands.. I usually wash my hands before I leave school before I drive, and on most other occasions. But that's not even enough. I usually hold my wheel in between the 7-8 o'clock position and some gunk built up. So I went to cleaning.

My other way involved a heavy duty fabric cleaner, and that left the fabric sort of crusty after it dried. Tonight I remembered having some old Suede & nubuck cleaner. So I went to use that. I figured if it's good enough for my numerous pairs of $160+ Air Jordans, it's good enough for my wheel.

First I irritated it a bit with a brush I have. A bit stiffer than a toothbrush, so it does a better job. Then I did about 2 pumps of this stuff on a clean microfiber and went to work. I repeated the process until I was happy.. but not getting the wheel too wet. After that I dried it with the other end of my towel and I can already tell it's a lot softer from when I used the other stuff.

Here's the stuff I used:
http://solecollector.com/media/u/800_2886270601425438374.JPG

In my response, the first line was in response to the first group of questions. Statement after the break was in response to the question after the break.

:rofl, this reminds me of this:

Skip to about 1:12 or so
http://youtu.be/jxZQL_Is0mE

Johnmadd
11-23-2012, 03:06 PM
After months of trying to find the reason for my erratic idle on my e30 it turned out being the dme (main computer), sooooo happy to get it fixed!

JupiterBMW
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
I took a small drive today into a nearby construction area.. Did a few hard stops on some dirty roads to get the ABS activating... That being said, I'll bring her home and bleed the brakes, again... We'll see if this helps.

Also, I ordered the vert window switch, perhaps I can make it work on sedans...

danewilson77
11-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Found my new BFF for my alcantara wheel cleaning. I'm meticulous about driving with clean hands.. I usually wash my hands before I leave school before I drive, and on most other occasions. But that's not even enough. I usually hold my wheel in between the 7-8 o'clock position and some gunk built up. So I went to cleaning.

My other way involved a heavy duty fabric cleaner, and that left the fabric sort of crusty after it dried. Tonight I remembered having some old Suede & nubuck cleaner. So I went to use that. I figured if it's good enough for my numerous pairs of $160+ Air Jordans, it's good enough for my wheel.

First I irritated it a bit with a brush I have. A bit stiffer than a toothbrush, so it does a better job. Then I did about 2 pumps of this stuff on a clean microfiber and went to work. I repeated the process until I was happy.. but not getting the wheel too wet. After that I dried it with the other end of my towel and I can already tell it's a lot softer from when I used the other stuff.

All that and no pic of the wheel?

nike001
11-23-2012, 07:07 PM
All that and no pic of the wheel?

Looks the same lol.

But anyways, my car gave me a bunch of shit just a little bit ago.

I turned it on and the whole car was mildly shaking. No lights. Seemed like it was running on 3 cylinders.

I'll have to check if it does it again tonight later on...

terraphantm
11-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Looks the same lol.

I turned it on and the whole car was mildly shaking. No lights. Seemed like it was running on 3 cylinders.

Probably a bad coil

nike001
11-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Probably a bad coil

No lights though? I would've thought a light would come on if so. Car ran fine afterwards..

It smelled a bit funny too. Almost like gas.

terraphantm
11-23-2012, 09:15 PM
If its only intermittently failing, it might just not have been misfiring long enough to throw a code.

On my dad's 535, it took about 15 seconds for the CEL to come on after starting the car with a coil accidentally left unplugged. Those ECUs are a lot faster than ours, so I think it's a possibility.

Other things to check would be the cam and crank position sensor

Not sure about the smell of gas. Maybe check for leaks?

nike001
11-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah I'll do that tomorrow morning. I'll just cross my fingers when I start it to go home in a little bit.

When it was doing its thing earlier, I'd rev it and it would rev fine so..

Hermes
11-23-2012, 09:33 PM
that sounds like what happened to mine last week. It was at the shop for 3 days and they couldn't figure out what threw the codes (misfire on 4 cylinders). All the coils and the fuel pump were checked. I think maybe there was some particle that might have got stuck in the line and worked its way thru. It took about 30 seconds for the SES light to come on, then I just shut the car off and didn't start it again until Monday morning. It started up and drove fine the next time I started it, and Nick said everything looked fine to him and the car drove great in his opinion. I dunno, maybe something else will happen soon so I can get something fixed under warranty.

MsRN
11-23-2012, 09:35 PM
I changed out one of my Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds tonight. BTW--if you've ever used the BMW Mobility Kit, here's why you get the 'repaired' tire replaced promptly (or rather, what happens if you don't).6373

Needless to say, my right rear tire is much-better-balanced now! ;)

jack.chris328
11-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Looks the same lol.

I have had this happen on the E36. Start the car and it idles low. Between 500 - 600 if I remember right, and the car is shaking. Rev'ed up ok but went back down to idling low. Put it in gear and drove it about 200 feet to the stop sign then it was fine. This has happened on a couple separate occasions. Noticed it has been cold weather at these times. Well, cold for San Diego anyhow. Unfortunately haven't been able to figure out the problem. Hasn't happened for about a month or more now. Sorry no solution but your not the only one.

On another note. It wasn't exactly today but just go new tires all around. Went with Good Year Eagle GT 225/50/16's. Mainly due to the price, but reviews on them weren't bad. Ended up being $460.00, including road hazard, out the door after $140.00 in rebates. Only have about 600 miles on them but they are handling well. Moderately quite for an All Season to.

jack.chris328
11-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I changed out one of my Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds tonight. BTW--if you've ever used the BMW Mobility Kit, here's why you get the 'repaired' tire replaced promptly (or rather, what happens if you don't).

Needless to say, my right rear tire is much-better-balanced now! ;)

Holy Crap! It looks like you can fix cracks in your concrete driveway as well as fix your tires with your mobility kit.

cakM3
11-24-2012, 04:56 AM
Dang Michele! I didn't realize that the BMW Mobility kit does that....I'll be keeping that in mind when driving my ///M.....

nike001
11-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks for your input guys.

Last night it wasn't really that cold. My car was parked in the garage so it was probably around 45-50 in there when I left. Car started OK later last night, but I felt like it beeped at me when it turned over.

I'll try it again in a little bit and see what happens. I'll let it idle a bit and see if any lights pop up.

az3579
11-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Received a spectacular detail on Wobbie today!

cakM3
11-24-2012, 04:25 PM
glad to be of help BP :thumbsup

Hermes
11-24-2012, 06:43 PM
After attempting to have front suspension sexy time with the E21 I came to the realization that the smaller version 323 HD's are still too big to fit in the tubes on the 320 (they also had no chance of making it through the top mount). I then torqued everything back together (it helped a little with my 40mph steering shudder). I have to do the suspension next weekend probably once I get the parts. I will have to take them back and get the real 320 struts (or somehow find 323 tubes and mounts). Besides that uneventful job, I took off my antenna and mudflaps for refinishing as well as installing my new CCA grill badge.

alexandre
11-24-2012, 09:19 PM
I finally got around to updating my DME to BMW's latest version (7561520). I used WinKFP and INPA, and as I read on another thread on one of the BMW forums I was only able to start the car after clearing adaptations in PA Soft. Throttle response has definitely been improved and idle seems smoother. I'll keep an eye on my startups as I've had issues with rough idle when the car sits in a heated garage for a few hours.

I also coded the following options in NCS Expert while I was plugged in:

- Disable remote trunk button when car is locked
- Allow fogs with hi beams
- Open up both halogen and bixenon hi beams when highs are activated
- Double-impulse hazards
- Fogs and interior amber lighting on when follow-me home is activated
- Clutchless start (no need to press clutch to start car when it's in neutral)
- When remote unlocking, open all doors at once (instead of having to press 1x for driver then 1x for all 3 other doors)

JKO_ZHP
11-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Bought some LED's for the turn signals, got tired of the orange lights coming on in conjunction with the headlights, AE's and fog lights (all 6000K).
I just heard though that any color for turn signals other than orange/amber is illegal.....can anyone elaborate on this?

danewilson77
11-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Bought some LED's for the turn signals, got tired of the orange lights coming on in conjunction with the headlights, AE's and fog lights (all 6000K).
I just heard though that any color for turn signals other than orange/amber is illegal.....can anyone elaborate on this?

In my case (sedan)....if you have stock amber, bulbs can be clear. In fact...that's,stock. But if you go clear tails...and use those clear bulbs....oops...you will fail safety inspection.. that's what happened to me last year.

JupiterBMW
11-25-2012, 05:00 AM

Well, as Dane mentioned, he failed his inspection in VA... Keep in mind, states have different laws, but in your case, California, it is illegal to have anything other than amber. When I lived in CA, I used to always get the latest copy of the Motor Vehicle Code. You can ask for one from the DMV and they typically will give it to you, or it might be a small cost. But, it has everything in there, and in California, where damn near everything is illegal, its a good idea to reference it.

Vas
11-25-2012, 05:51 AM
I just passed my Virginia state inspection.

cakM3
11-25-2012, 05:51 AM
Fortunately, I get away with clear OE bulbs for my front corners....

danewilson77
11-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Fortunately, I get away with clear OE bulbs for my front corners....

They don't blink amber?

cakM3
11-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Dane, I don't know if it's because of the laminex tint but I have a yellowish hue to my corners. Although they are OE white bulbs they have a slight yellowish hue to them....they don't blink amber....had them ever since I got my car....no issues as of yet....the ///M is set up the same way...

danewilson77
11-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Nice

terraphantm
11-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Many states allow white blinkers in the front. Rear has to be red or amber.

az3579
11-25-2012, 08:47 AM
^ This. That's how it is in CT.

nike001
11-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Many states allow white blinkers in the front. Rear has to be red or amber.

When I had my DJ Auto headlights in my e39, they had clear corners and I had normal clear bulbs in for blinkers and never had any issues. I didn't know any better though. But I do remember a certain instance being across an intersection from a cop with my blinker on and had nothing come of it.

I have some chromium bulbs now that blink orange now though in my clears. Seem to work pretty well.

az3579
11-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Unless an officer has something else to pull you over, I seriously doubt anyone would get pulled over for that, depending on how much of a stickler s/he may be. Over here, you'd be murdering someone to get a visit from the cop, otherwise they won't care.

Too bad they won't pull over anyone with HID's in a HALOGEN headlight housing. Those are beyond annoying...

Vas
11-25-2012, 10:03 AM
VA inspections have the dumbest rules.

az3579
11-25-2012, 11:18 AM
At least you guys get inspections. Here, it's a free-for-all; all your vehicle needs to be registered is to 1) be insured, and 2) pass emissions testing.
There are no safety inspections here, which is a very bad idea, IMO. Half the cars in this town I bet would be deemed unsafe; it's shocking how many times I see a car with blown shocks driving around (on the FRONT, no less).

JupiterBMW
11-25-2012, 11:30 AM
At least you guys get inspections. Here, it's a free-for-all; all your vehicle needs to be registered is to 1) be insured, and 2) pass emissions testing.
There are no safety inspections here, which is a very bad idea, IMO. Half the cars in this town I bet would be deemed unsafe; it's shocking how many times I see a car with blown shocks driving around (on the FRONT, no less).

Hey be happy, in Florida we only have to be insured and VIN checks. No inspections or emissions tests.

Johal E32
11-25-2012, 11:37 AM

same. But cali has super strict emissions tests. I think we are the "hardest" state to pass the emissions test.

HokieZHP
11-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Looks the same lol.

This has happened to me a few times in cold weather. Has always gone away after tapping the throttle so I never thought much of it. If you figure it out let me know

az3579
11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
same. But cali has insanely ridiculously stupid emissions tests. I think we are the "hardest" state to pass the emissions test.

Fixed. :biggrin

cakM3
11-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Took a few pics of the ///M after driving to Newport and now it's tucked away in the garage for the winter....felt good to drive it...:)

BimmerWill
11-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Took a few pics of the ///M after driving to Newport and now it's tucked away in the garage for the winter....felt good to drive it...:)

What all did you do to winterize the M if anything?

cakM3
11-25-2012, 02:56 PM
What all did you do to winterize the M if anything?

Last week I took my ///M to the dealer for an inspection/oil change. Fuel stabilizer has been added to the ///M (full tank of gas), tires overinflated to 40 psi, car has a fresh coat of wax, has been connected to life support (battery tender), and car cover installed. Since the ///M will be inside a fairly warm garage all winter, there's nothing else I need to do...

Johal E32
11-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Fixed. :biggrin

haha. I was watching a show and the dude said if a car can pass cali emissions then it's bueno.

BimmerWill
11-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Last week I took my ///M to the dealer for an inspection/oil change. Fuel stabilizer has been added to the ///M (full tank of gas), tires overinflated to 40 psi, car has a fresh coat of wax, has been connected to life support (battery tender), and car cover installed. Since the ///M will be inside a fairly warm garage all winter, there's nothing else I need to do...

Sounds like you've got all the bases covered. Especially with the fuel. With the ethanol found in gasoline nowadays it wreaks havoc on the fuel system. Im not sure if it causes as many problems with fuel injected systems as it does with carbureted systems but im sure its not good for them in some form or another.

iZHP
11-25-2012, 07:00 PM
installed the Argos bluetooth kit, put in my Auto headlight faceplate, changed a trim clip, and ordered the ignition coil "high performance" kit from BavAuto...since 3 are going bad, and after I just replaced one. I guess it's better to do coils all at once.

Hornung418
11-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Getting my emissions tested omorrow. So pumped to get the headers on afterwards.

M0nk3y
11-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Getting my emissions tested omorrow. So pumped to get the headers on afterwards.

I wish i didn't have to get emission tests every year. Id be running CSL headers right now

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

M0nk3y
11-25-2012, 07:41 PM

I was going to ask why you changed your oil prior to storage, but since you are storing in a heated garage, you dont have to worry about moisture build-up in the oil.

I never used fuel stabilizer.

PS - My car went to sleep over the weekend

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534693_4248317334403_145004094_n.jpg

cakM3
11-26-2012, 04:28 AM
I was going to ask why you changed your oil prior to storage, but since you are storing in a heated garage, you dont have to worry about moisture build-up in the oil.

I never used fuel stabilizer.

PS - My car went to sleep over the weekend

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534693_4248317334403_145004094_n.jpg

Kyle....nothing but the best for my ///M ;)

Changing oil is something I do twice a year religiously no matter the mileage. Honestly, I will most likely take the ///M out for a few runs in the winter but only when the roads are perfect...

JupiterBMW
11-26-2012, 04:54 AM
I just ordered the other two tires for my car... They said they should be delivered tomorrow. Insanely fast Tire Rack shipping... I think they use :ninja :ninja :ninja

Vas
11-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Tirerack does have fast shipping however discount tire direct is actually cheaper. In my case it was $40 for two tires that I just purchased and free shipping.

Hornung418
11-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Passed emissions! Headers are going to be installed before the week is through.

Hermes
11-26-2012, 07:50 AM
good job!

JupiterBMW
11-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Tirerack does have fast shipping however discount tire direct is actually cheaper. In my case it was $40 for two tires that I just purchased and free shipping.

Hmm, I actually didn't think to check them as I've always used Tire Rack. I did just check though and with Black Friday savings, it would've been $25 cheaper... Oh well, too late now!

webster
11-26-2012, 09:19 AM
yesterday i took out the instrument cluster to adjust the gauge needles for fuel level and MPG needles. was bothering me since terraphantm pointed it out. now it looks right.

also ordered a new windshield washer fluid pump from ECS.

static667
11-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Saturday, I installed my father's Christmas gift in his E30. Rear shocks and mounts, rear sway bar end links, front control arms and M3 bushings, and front strut inserts with new tower bearings. It drives like a new car. He was pretty happy with it.

Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my hacked Fascinate.

danewilson77
11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Saturday, I installed my father's Christmas gift in his E30. Rear shocks and mounts, rear sway bar end links, front control arms and M3 bushings, and front strut inserts with new tower bearings. It drives like a new car. He was pretty happy with it.

Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my hacked Fascinate.

Well done humble servant.