PDA

View Full Version : What did you do for your ZHP/BMW today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

cakM3
07-22-2012, 04:08 AM
^ and this is why I keep a laptop and USB-> OBDII cable with me wherever I go lol

Terra,

I will be doing the same when my computer is set up as well.

deuce08s
07-22-2012, 02:05 PM
I just changed out my differential and transmission fluids today. Differential looked really clean, still had a golden color to it, but I at least know it was changed out now......same with Transmission fluid. Done at 69508 miles......Still need to do an engine oil change on it...waiting for oil and new gaskets to come in the mail though.....

I also changed out my cabin filter last week, but maybe that doesn't count since it isn't "today". LOL. Man, this is a fun car to work on (when it is easy stuff!). Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

KevinC
07-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Added USA*Spec iPod adapter yesterday. No chance to test & fiddle till later tonight. Looking forward to having access to all my tunes again.

JupiterBMW
07-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Well, started digging in the trunk today to locate my Nav wiring. The dealer informed me that the antenna and wiring to the nav computer are fried, so I have to locate them. I spent about 20 minutes removing clips to try and get the trunk panel out and couldn't get it out. So, I quit... The interior looks extremely tough to get out of these cars!

Tomorrow I'll play some more.

ryankokesh
07-22-2012, 07:57 PM
If you get some trim removal tools it'll make things much easier... Just dug around back there today, actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JupiterBMW
07-23-2012, 04:12 AM
Yeah, I've done plenty of interior removals, I just can't tell what pieces need to come out. To get the trim piece around the Nav DVD drive, it seems like everything around it needs to come off. I just can't tell where to start... Eh, I'll play with it some more...

cakM3
07-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Jon,

Just take your time... you'll get it! :thumbsup I can relate to how much of a PITA this can be. I have never completely removed the interior panels in the trunk but realize that without the proper tools it's much more difficult...

jayjay_dee
07-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Finally secured my Driver Side Ballast in style.

Engine Bay Cover, xenon headlight control unit 63127832829 QTY 1
Engine Bay Bracket,control unit, Xenon light left 61127893034 QTY 1
Engine Bay Fillister head screw 72128244154 QTY 2
Engine Bay SELF-LOCKING HEX NUT 64509123157 QTY 1

Had to do some surgery. Cut and splice an extra 12 inches of copper wire for each of the three wires in the two black sheaths. Wrap in electrical tape to clean it up there you go...M3 Ballast relocation for non-M e46s.

Justin, I see some dried up coolant on your expansion tank, do you think its leaking? Reason I asked, mine looked the same and my low coolant light
is on... Im thinking its best to do a cooling system refresh, which I started this weekend. Still waiting to get all the neeeed tools and parts...

Should be fun...

ryankokesh
07-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I've done plenty of interior removals, I just can't tell what pieces need to come out. To get the trim piece around the Nav DVD drive, it seems like everything around it needs to come off. I just can't tell where to start... Eh, I'll play with it some more...

Yeah, you'll end up pulling away all that carpety stuff around your nav unit. I think it's really just a couple fasteners. Then the nav etc. is just bolted into a frame dealy underneath all the carpet.

Hornung418
07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Yeah...I had an issue about 6 months ago where my t-stat developed a hairline crack and would squirt onto the fan. And then splatter coolant everywhere under the hood. But i had replaced my system at sigfest 2011 :(

Enjoy the refresh, Jay Jay!

Horney...via TT.

Sockethead
07-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Yesterday while driving down to Rob and Kristen's house I had an unfortunate event transpire while taking my ///M on a roadtrip. As I was pulling in to the first rest stop in New Jersey off the Garden State Parkway I lost power and my ///M kept stalling. I immediately looked for a spot to pull into and parked my ///M to find out what the issue was.

BP was kind enough to use his computer to scan my car and found a fuel pump relay fault. Well...you could imagine what thoughts are going through my mind at the moment :) Oh... I forgot to mention that I had a flight to Austin, Texas the following morning to catch... anyway...I'm stressing a bit so I texted Ryan and Kristen that BP and I wouldn't make it by lunch...

I eventually secured a towing service, which in Northern NJ on the Parkway, is a nightmare to do and got towed to a indy shop nearby I knew of...
The tower even bypassed traffic by driving on the shoulder saving even more time...it was awesome :)
When I got there I informed the manager (I knew him) that I suspected a failed fuel pump (thanks Kristen for your most accurate diagnosis!!!) and they quickly confirmed my suspisions.
Luckily for BP and I, they had an ///M3 fuel pump and swapped out the bad part restoring "Liquid Mercury" and we were on our way south. It was interesting seeing the fuel pump getting swapped out :)
Anyway...long story short... I was the lucky guy who purchased a new fuel pump (with my brother's help) and got treated to Kristen's 135 and Rob's ZHP :) It was an interesting but fun day.

Best part is that Ryan, Kyle, Kristen, and Rob all were willing to go the distance to help out a fellow Mafia member in distress... I love you guys!!! :wub

Heh yea it was shaping up to be an interesting day... Kris and I would of driven up there in a heartbeat with the X5 and a trailer... it would of given us a chance to test out the new hitch LOL. It's nice that we now have a resident BMW insider in Kristen for the Mafia, eh?.
I'm glad it worked out... like I said, it couldn't of happened at a better time unless it was in front of my house...

webster
07-23-2012, 11:43 AM
washed the ZHP yesterday and of course i'm watching it get pelted by rain as i type this...

i will say though, the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash is great stuff. really does a good job of binding the dirt so that when you rinse it, streak free shine. also it dries to leave NO water spots. i've used a lot of over the counter washes and none of them holds a candle to the CG Citrus Wash. i use it with the gilmour foamaster foam gun and it makes for easy no hassle 30 min washes :]

JupiterBMW
07-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah, you'll end up pulling away all that carpety stuff around your nav unit. I think it's really just a couple fasteners. Then the nav etc. is just bolted into a frame dealy underneath all the carpet.

Yeah, I'm actually trying to get to the Nav antenna, and the cable that goes from that to the nav computer. So, pretty much just doing some investigating to find if this is my nav issue. But thanks for the help... We'll see how it goes.

nike001
07-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Got a feeling like I wanted to drive her.. so I put about 20 miles on her having fun.

My rear Hankook v12's are toast too.. I think I calculated I have probably 9,2xx miles on them. Fronts are fine though. Barely look worn.

az3579
07-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Was it leaking then on a splash guard and then on to the ground?

Probably. The splash guard is covered in the stuff. Haven't had a chance to clean off anything yet...

Looks like I will either be getting a new fuel pump relay or new fuel pump for my ///M today :facepalm

On the way to meet up with Kristen, Rib, Ryan, and Kyle and my ///M dies as I pulled into the rest stop....

First rest stop in Jersey on the Garden State Parkway. Arranging for a tow is a major bitch!

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99a-b678-ce2a.jpg

Really makes for a sucky day!

Can't stand NJ. My main thing is that stupid "you can't pump your own gas" law malarky, but now I have the "restricted towing" BS to add to the list. :shifty

My rear Hankook v12's are toast too.. I think I calculated I have probably 9,2xx miles on them. Fronts are fine though. Barely look worn.

So how many track events do you have on them?

nike001
07-23-2012, 05:37 PM
So how many track events do you have on them?

1 auto-x. I was going to try to squeeze another one out of them but all I do is spin.

az3579
07-23-2012, 05:40 PM
1 auto-x. I was going to try to squeeze another one out of them but all I do is spin.

Dude, really? Less than 10k miles? Burnouts much? lol

HokieZHP
07-23-2012, 05:43 PM

My rear DWS's only lasted me 11-12k miles. I do a lot of back road driving which takes it's toll and a couple burnouts but nothing overly harsh.

nike001
07-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Nope, not even one. I only ever 'launched' at the auto-x too. Maybe 4 solid launches? Refer to my next quote to Chris below:

My rear DWS's only lasted me 11-12k miles. I do a lot of back road driving which takes it's toll and a couple burnouts but nothing overly harsh.

I do a lot of back road driving as well. We have a road that goes from the city of wilkes-barre up and across a few mountains to where I live. The speed limit is 45, but everyone usually goes 50-60. So I end up going 70 or so. Then cruising of backroads definitely takes it's toll.

Hornung418
07-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Let my sister drive it today. She got her permit today and wouldn't stop asking me to drive a car.

She stalled it 36 times. But she did great and even managed a gear change. We did about 20 laps in an empty parking lot. She gets to drive the Bimmer once a week in a parking lot. Never on the road though. No one but me will do that.

HokieZHP
07-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I do a lot of back road driving as well. We have a road that goes from the city of wilkes-barre up and across a few mountains to where I live. The speed limit is 45, but everyone usually goes 50-60. So I end up going 70 or so. Then cruising of backroads definitely takes it's toll.

Yeah I end up going a little faster than that... :shift and the roads here are very very curvy so high speeds+lots of corners definitely takes it's toll! Still, I'd expect them to last longer...my family runs PSS all seasons on our other 3 cars and my brother drives his car pretty aggressively as well and all of theirs have lasted much longer than the DWS'. Which is why those will most likely be my next tires, or PSS summers. Still trying to decide.

nike001
07-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah I end up going a little faster than that... :shift and the roads here are very very curvy so high speeds+lots of corners definitely takes it's toll! Still, I'd expect them to last longer...my family runs PSS all seasons on our other 3 cars and my brother drives his car pretty aggressively as well and all of theirs have lasted much longer than the DWS'. Which is why those will most likely be my next tires, or PSS summers. Still trying to decide.

Wel... I drive faster than I'd like to admit as well. But I can see why the PSS A/S tires last longer.. they're a harder compound. I know that I can try for the life of me to get these Hankooks to heat up and I've only succeeded once (at auto-x). But my Pirelli's would heat up like nothing. If those weren't so expensive, I'd get them again and again. Instead, I've found a decent deal on a pair of rear Pilot Sport II's off E46Fanatics.

BCS_ZHP
07-23-2012, 06:02 PM
A little late in posting but anyway. Decide this past weekend was BMW Brake Weekend. Ray (Smilez) served up the parts, Preston & I were the laborers.

I replaced the brakes on my 540 about 2-3 weeks ago, and painted the calipers when I did it. They turned out nicely so both my wife and my son wanted to do their calipers too. Here's a pic of my car:

And the day before I bought new sneakers, Pilot Sport A/S, more to come on how I like them as miles go by. Have a road trip from DC area to Camp Lejeune, NC this Wed/Thurs, so should get a feel from that:

So the work on my car was limited to changing the pads. I originally installed StopTech pads and there was way too much dust, I was cleaning the wheels every 3-4 days. Sat morning I replaced those pads with ceramic pads from Ray, think the brand was Centrix.

Next was the wife's car, IR with alcantara, she wanted red calipers. But since I was tearing it apart and spray painting away from the car I decided I should replace the brake lines with the SS set from ECSTuning. And while gray calipers and gray clips worked for my car, I wanted her brakes to pop a little more, the wife was gone most of Sat so I decided to paint her clips gray for some contrast, it turned out nicely:

Sat was rainy here, so I spent over 7 hours doing my wife's brakes, the main culprit was I couldn't get the paint to dry because of the high humidity. But patience worked out cause I really like the look on her car.

Sun, woke Preston early so we could tackle his car before he had to go to work at 1 pm. It wasn't raining but humidity was high and we ran into the same problem with his calipers taking a long time to dry, overall start to finish was 6 hrs. Ray supplied the S&D rotors and pads, SS lines again from ECS. But the son wanted to be different from his mom, so he picked a yellow paint and wanted his clips the same color for a monotone look:

Too many pics in this note, coming in the next one

BCS_ZHP
07-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Here's pics of the TIAG coupe:

My couple of lessons learned:
- I can do a complete brake job in under 3 hours, including jacking up the car & returning all the tools to where they belong, bleeding the system, everything. So the caliper painting adds 3-4 hours, just need to be patient and let it dry between coats.
- Wire brush the calipers when you get them off, remove as much brake dust as possible.
- Tape off the bleed screw cap and the rubber boots on the back side of the caliper.
- Clean the caliper brackets too, they are seen, and paint the same color as the caliper.
- Buy lots of BrakeKleen, I used 5 cans between the 2 cars.
- Didn't learn this until today when I talked with another guy who has done this, you can speed up the drying of the calipers after cleaning them by hitting them with a heat gun.
- Spray your paint in light coats, you need to do about 3 coats, I did 4 coats on my wife's calipers.
- Used caliper paint on my wife's car and my car, engine paint on my son's car, the true caliper paint appears to have more sheen.
- Don't get too anal about the finish, remember this is a driven car and the calipers will normally have some dust on them, just trying to get some contrast.

UdubBadger
07-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Nice I gotta hit my clips now too

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

zhp43867
07-23-2012, 07:22 PM
washed the ZHP yesterday and of course i'm watching it get pelted by rain as i type this...

i will say though, the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash is great stuff. really does a good job of binding the dirt so that when you rinse it, streak free shine. also it dries to leave NO water spots. i've used a lot of over the counter washes and none of them holds a candle to the CG Citrus Wash. i use it with the gilmour foamaster foam gun and it makes for easy no hassle 30 min washes :]

Be careful with the dilution. That is used as a stripper wash by many detailers.

Got a feeling like I wanted to drive her.. so I put about 20 miles on her having fun.

Sounds like it's Super Sport time!

Have you done your RTABs yet?

BCS: Nice job! What kit did you use? If you said it and I missed it I apologize in advance.

Johal E32
07-23-2012, 09:30 PM

that's not good, lol. Alignment okay? RTABS?

My friend toasted the run-flats on his new m3 in 10k miles. Took him like three years though.

S85FTW
07-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Took it to NC to buy this:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/krisgt30/de691a8b.jpg

cakM3
07-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Heh yea it was shaping up to be an interesting day... Kris and I would of driven up there in a heartbeat with the X5 and a trailer... it would of given us a chance to test out the new hitch LOL. It's nice that we now have a resident BMW insider in Kristen for the Mafia, eh?.
I'm glad it worked out... like I said, it couldn't of happened at a better time unless it was in front of my house...

Yeah Rob! I'm glad that things turned out the way they did and appreciate all the help you, Kris, Ryan, and Kyle were willing to provide if things got worse! :thumbsup Had an awesome time with you guys....wish I had more time I could have spent with you guys!...:)

Can't wait to see the writeup on your "project" :biggrin

Can't stand NJ. My main thing is that stupid "you can't pump your own gas" law malarky, but now I have the "restricted towing" BS to add to the list. :shifty

Yeah being on the Garden State Parkway gives new meaning... that's for sure!

Took it to NC to buy this:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/krisgt30/de691a8b.jpg

Congrats on the new ///M Kris! I know you will love that beast.... until you have your first maintenance - keep in mind how enjoyable it is to have and drive when that time comes :)

az3579
07-24-2012, 02:19 AM

Wow...

I have the sane tires I've got about 20-25k miles on my set AND 4 track days, 2 of which are at Watkins Glen, a high-speed course. Still plenty of tread on 'em. I dunno why you're not getting any miles out of your tires...

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

zhp43867
07-24-2012, 04:57 AM
Wow...

I have the sane tires I've got about 20-25k miles on my set AND 4 track days, 2 of which are at Watkins Glen, a high-speed course. Still plenty of tread on 'em. I dunno why you're not getting any miles out of your tires...

That's next to impossible. Are you talking about rear tires? You are the weirder one here. Hyper-mile and drive gently on the street all you want, but if you drive on the Auto-X and the track like your car was meant to be driven, you'd be lucky to get 15k out of them.

Sockethead
07-24-2012, 05:23 AM

When I had Hankooks on my car, the rears wore out long before the fronts. I drive it like I stole it and did one full track day. The rears were worn perfectly across the whole tire. Are your rears worn on the inner edges? That's common

I would just replace the rears with another set of Hankooks... they're cheap enough... when you mix brand of tires, the results are usually not good.

I found that with the way I drive, I go through two sets of rear tires for every set of fronts. Kristen's 135 is looking to be the same way with Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs on it...

BCS_ZHP
07-24-2012, 06:18 AM
DWSs, the rears wear way faster but seems to have a lot to do with tire pressure. Our first ZHP had the 47 psi listed in the door jam, I thought that was high but we ran them at 42-44 psi and the rear tires barely lasted 10K miles. The next set I went to 35-37 psi and the rears are now at 9K miles with 7/32nds thread remaining, I think we'll get closer to 20K miles on these. The same fronts have been on this car so they have almost 20K miles, running 32-34 psi, still have 6/32nds of tread, so should get close to 30K miles from them.

az3579
07-24-2012, 07:35 AM
That's next to impossible. Are you talking about rear tires? You are the weirder one here. Hyper-mile and drive gently on the street all you want, but if you drive on the Auto-X and the track like your car was meant to be driven, you'd be lucky to get 15k out of them.

Not at all impossible. I got similar results with the Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons I had before; 3 track days and about 30k miles.

I track my street tires. My car sees 3+ track days a year (and I don't drive like a granny either, in a higher run group) and I drive about 35k miles a year. I regularly go out for a spin for the hell of it, and I take every corner at speeds higher than the speed limit. In no way do I baby my car when I drive it, though I don't "beat" on it either. I'm a cross between a chill and a moderate-speed driver on the street and an all-out guy on the track.

I consistently get about 30k miles out of a set of this on this car, it seems so far. If I didn't track, I'd probably get closer to 40-45k.

Hornung418
07-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Square or staggered??? You're on the 71s, remember.

johnrando
07-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Somehow my right rear wheel is cracked on the inside. Suspect it was there when I bought the extra set and put them on, and it finally wore down. So, replaced it with my original wheel.

A major blow to going 8.5 square all the way around, as now I only have 3 good 8.5 chromed 135s. Not liking the idea of having to buy a 135 and chrome it. Going 8's all the way around is still an option, but would have liked 8.5.

nike001
07-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Yeah I'll admit I drive my car like I stole it sometimes. I just rather not say much about it so I can avoid getting lectured about keeping it at the track. But I have access to vehicles much faster and that will get me in much more trouble so I know when and where to play.

I want to do RTABs but I hear they rarely go out. That, and I'm afraid of labor. But I keep my tire pressures at about 38 and I feel like that's too much. I also have even wear straight across the whole tire. I'll try upping the psi next time around.

webster
07-24-2012, 10:24 AM
went to chemical guys' website for one thing. ended up buying:

- schMITT foam mitt wash pad
- Ferret Flexible Wheel & Rim Brush
- 6.5 in. White Foam Polishing Pad
- CG Citrus Based Sticky Gel & Rim Cleaner - 16 oz
- CG Nano 3n Correction Polish & High Gloss Protectant - 16 oz
- CG Citrus Clear Daily Wash - 1 gal (bought this to complement the Citrus High Gloss Wash which is highly effective but super super strong)
- CG Wet Mirror Finish Ultra Slick Non-Stick Gloss Magnifier - 16 oz
- CG Hybrid V7 High Gloss Sealant Spray - 1 gal

that site is dangerous :x

M0nk3y
07-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Nice!

Ordered a new power steering cap, considering i just discovered its missing and it's probably havent been there for months. Thanks BMW Inspection 1

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

HokieZHP
07-24-2012, 10:40 AM
went to chemical guys' website for one thing. ended up buying:

that site is dangerous :x

yes it is. Especially with all the deal pagss

az3579
07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Square or staggered??? You're on the 71s, remember.

Squared on this set of tires. Was staggered on the previous set. Being on the 71's doesn't make a difference.

I'm reeeally Jonesin' to buy some more Sonax so I could clean this biotch. Car hasn't been cleaned in a month. :crying

cakM3
07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Squared on this set of tires. Was staggered on the previous set. Being on the 71's doesn't make a difference.

I'm reeeally Jonesin' to buy some more Sonax so I could clean this biotch. Car hasn't been cleaned in a month. :crying

BP.....I was going to talk to you about that...

I would call that ZHP abuse...;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JupiterBMW
07-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Picked up my OEM carpeted floor mats today, and a small exhaust bracket I found rusted out. Will be installing that this evening. And I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on an intake. :)

az3579
07-24-2012, 12:53 PM
BP.....I was going to talk to you about that...

I would call that ZHP abuse...;)

Call it what you want, but I can't split myself in two... :(

cakM3
07-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Go the distance BP! :thumbsup

danewilson77
07-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Nice!

Ordered a new power steering cap, considering i just discovered its missing and it's probably havent been there for months. Thanks BMW Inspection 1

What the heck?

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

zhp43867
07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
BP, do you rotate? Then maybe it makes sense. More than 20k on BMW rear tires is exceedingly rare, so I guess you're special. And why/how are your running DWS tires on the track in one of the faster groups?

Dalton- the general rule of thumb is that your RTABs are gone by 100-120k. When they "fail" the primary issue they cause is vastly accelerated tire wear, in some cases reducing tire life from say- 15k on the back to 5-6k. So get them changed or you're costing yourself money.

Have you ever heard of Obioban? PM me if you want his e-mail address, he does the install on his lift for a very reasonable price.

nike001
07-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Today I didn't drive her. Had to take my mothers Subaru to the sister dealership of where I work. Then my step-dad came and exhanged me his 335i for my moms subaru so she can run her errands and not have to take his 335 and be all nervous. So needless to say, my commute home from work was a bit more fun than it usually is.

My consensus on his 335:
Steering and connection are great. Steering is a bit heavier and I think he needs new tires. But the 6MT feels numb while driving. Feels too much like a video game where you have 0 connection. I think that the throttle is to blame for the general numbness of the transmission/engine.

Dalton- the general rule of thumb is that your RTABs are gone by 100-120k. When they "fail" the primary issue they cause is vastly accelerated tire wear, in some cases reducing tire life from say- 15k on the back to 5-6k. So get them changed or you're costing yourself money.

Have you ever heard of Obioban? PM me if you want his e-mail address, he does the install on his lift for a very reasonable price.

Thanks! PM'ing you now. I'm sure he can do them at a reasonable price, but I doubt he'll be able to beat my $40/hr where I work :D

az3579
07-24-2012, 02:11 PM
BP, do you rotate? Then maybe it makes sense. More than 20k on BMW rear tires is exceedingly rare, so I guess you're special. And why/how are your running DWS tires on the track in one of the faster groups?[quote]

No rotation here. Too lazy for that...
As far as what I'm running for tires; it's not what you drive, it's how you drive it. ;)
Goes without saying that my car is amongst the slower cars in the run group, but I stay consistent and have no issues hitting my turn-in, apex, and track out most of the time. That is why I'm in the run group, not because my car is a beast on the track. :biggrin

[quote]

Darn, that's another thing I gotta do. Thanks for the reminder!

nike001
07-24-2012, 02:25 PM
BP, do you rotate? Then maybe it makes sense. More than 20k on BMW rear tires is exceedingly rare, so I guess you're special. And why/how are your running DWS tires on the track in one of the faster groups?

No rotation here. Too lazy for that...
As far as what I'm running for tires; it's not what you drive, it's how you drive it. ;)
Goes without saying that my car is amongst the slower cars in the run group, but I stay consistent and have no issues hitting my turn-in, apex, and track out most of the time. That is why I'm in the run group, not because my car is a beast on the track. :biggrin

Darn, that's another thing I gotta do. Thanks for the reminder!

I know BMW's general rule of thumb is something along the lines of 'no rotations because of BMW's near 50/50 weight distribution'
I hear it at least 3-4x a week from service advisors telling customers that after they ask about rotations. But, of course BMW will do it anyways for $15

328ioc
07-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I got my windshield replaced today :-)

http://img.tapatalk.com/6cd03e68-2281-c32d.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/6cd03e68-2292-2c63.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/6cd03e68-22ab-0eba.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/6cd03e68-2325-eb27.jpg

Also worked on wiring in my escort some more.

http://img.tapatalk.com/6cd03e68-23c0-7acc.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

az3579
07-24-2012, 03:28 PM
^ I hope you got OEM glass somehow...
I once had Safelite aftermarket glass on my E30 and was almost just as pitted within a year as the OEM glass was at almost 20 years old. :(

nike001
07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
^^I wish my glass would get a nice rock chip so I can get new glass. Mine is really pitted :(

zhp43867
07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Dalton- if you think the steering feel and connection is better on the 335i than your ZHP you have some work to do! Tires (the V12s are a little soft), bad control arms, bad fcabs, or your steering coupler (!) could be causing this. The steering feel on the ZHP is without a doubt better. We have a 335i with less than 100 miles on it in the driveway.

The steering coupler is a great piece to replace! The steering will instantly get tighter and feel more alive. The car will also feel as if it wants to tramline less often. Again 100k+ and it could use replacement. I don't think it truly goes bad- really bad until around 150k or so. The feel deteriorates after 100k miles or so.

nike001
07-24-2012, 03:42 PM
I think you interpreted my post wrong. The 335i is just... different. I know there are no suspension components needing replacing.. but I should note that my step-fathers 335i is an x-drive and also has the upgraded M-package. Definitely feels better than any other 335i's I've driven (I've driven a lot)

Funny thing is, after my short-lived and relatively boring drive home (rush hour FTL).. when approaching my driveway, my step-father had moved my car away form our 3rd garage door (which is home to his '05 mustang GT) and placed it facing down the driveway.. and I realized I still like my car better :)

Crestwood1001
07-24-2012, 04:08 PM
^^I wish my glass would get a nice rock chip so I can get new glass. Mine is really pitted :(

I picked up a nice rock chip :( safe lite is coming tomorrow to look at it

nike001
07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
I picked up a nice rock chip :( safe lite is coming tomorrow to look at it

Get an ice pick or something and hammer away at it :shifty

M0nk3y
07-24-2012, 05:31 PM
What the heck?

Yea, you're telling me.

Never even checked it until i realized i was getting a whine sound after auto-x runs and put 2 together.

The reservoir is basically dry, with just a 1/4" sitting there.

It sits underneath the air intake, so it's really easy to look past.

I highly doubt it blew off, its a vented cap afterall. I have an odd suspicion BMW is to fault. They loved throwing air into my brake system during Inspection 1

cakM3
07-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Picked up my ZHP from the Airport Valet service and drove it home...missed driving it after being forced to drive a 2012 Chevy Yukon

danewilson77
07-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Yea, you're telling me.

Never even checked it until i realized i was getting a whine sound after auto-x runs and put 2 together.

It sits underneath the air intake, so it's really easy to look past.

I highly doubt it blew off, its a vented cap afterall. I have an odd suspicion BMW is to fault. They loved throwing air into my brake system during Inspection 1

Hopefully pump hasn't been damaged.

Gordo_GT
07-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Justin, I see some dried up coolant on your expansion tank, do you think its leaking? Reason I asked, mine looked the same and my low coolant light
is on... Im thinking its best to do a cooling system refresh, which I started this weekend. Still waiting to get all the neeeed tools and parts...

Should be fun...

Good luck with getting the lower hose off. You need a T45 & T50 Torx socket to get the belts off and everything else seems to be 10mm or 13mm.

Crestwood1001
07-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Get an ice pick or something and hammer away at it :shifty

Don't wanna pay a 250$ deductible for a new one, my windshield is not to bad, the repair is covered for free under my insurance

Pip
07-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Bought a first aid kit for under the seat, washer pump, blower motor control module (couldn't fix the crickets with lubricant), new fog lights (old ones cracked), and headlight lenses.

UdubBadger
07-24-2012, 09:37 PM
link to first aid kit?

Pip
07-24-2012, 10:16 PM
link to first aid kit?

First Aid compartment 52 10 7 044 958
First Aid compartment Bracket 52 10 7 045 018
First Aid compartment T30 Screw 07 14 9 169 302 (M6X12 T30) (need two min for the front. There are 3 holes)

I used ECS since I was already getting a couple other things from them anyways. You can use the compartment bracket part number on ECS to find the whole first aid kit from BMW, but I really just want it for storage and a couple first aid related things.

ECS link for whole kit with first aid equip. http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/52_10_7_045_018/ES1928374/

Meric
07-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Changed my friends Fuel filter. (Old one was from the factory but fuel coming out was still clean/clear) Ordered one for mine..

+

Got a letter from government suspension ends in Aug 02nd.

328ioc
07-25-2012, 03:07 AM
^ I hope you got OEM glass somehow...
I once had Safelite aftermarket glass on my E30 and was almost just as pitted within a year as the OEM glass was at almost 20 years old. :(

I believe it is OEM. But if it isn't its got a life time warranty.

JupiterBMW
07-25-2012, 04:04 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/6cd03e68-2292-2c63.jpg

Whew!! Free A/C!!!

Keep the ratchets away from this one. :rofl

Sorry, I had too... Glass looks good, and price wasn't bad either.

328ioc
07-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Whew!! Free A/C!!!

Keep the ratchets away from this one. :rofl

Sorry, I had too... Glass looks good, and price wasn't bad either.

Haha yes no more ratchets. I am buying a new set of torx bits so I can put the A pillar back on tonight. Any one have any suggestions on the best type to use.

aurelius
07-25-2012, 04:45 AM

That ain't good. Full drain and flush so that you can hopefully avoid this:

http://db.tt/J4kPrwLo

M0nk3y
07-25-2012, 05:25 AM
That ain't good. Full drain and flush so that you can hopefully avoid this:

http://db.tt/J4kPrwLo

Flushing this weekend. Already in the plans

cakM3
07-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Priced a new fuel pump for $267 for the ZHP :)

Doing more "preventive maintenance" to avoid what happened last weekend :)

jayjay_dee
07-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Charlie, a lot cheaper here:

http://www.bmaparts.com/item.wws?sku=123 06017 076&itempk=68956&mfr=SIEMENS/VDO&weight=2.50

jayjay_dee
07-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Good luck with getting the lower hose off. You need a T45 & T50 Torx socket to get the belts off and everything else seems to be 10mm or 13mm.

Thanks... Im still waiting for my friend to come up with the 32mm wrench...

nike001
07-25-2012, 01:41 PM
:) - BMW Performance SSK. (Perf on the right, stock zhp on left)

http://img.tapatalk.com/4b6199dc-67e0-1d40.jpg

cakM3
07-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks jayjay!

MrMaico
07-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Priced a new fuel pump for $267 for the ZHP :)

Doing more "preventive maintenance" to avoid what happened last weekend :)

Just so happens this showed up on my doorstep today from BMA.........

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/i-kpJdVMh/0/XL/IMG1691-XL.jpg

Ordered the gasket and a new lock ring from Lincoln BMW along with a new windshield. I haven't decided if I'll install it right away or just carry it in the trunk. Gonna use the new lock ring to design a removal tool so it would be an easy swap whenever I decide to do it........or am forced to do it.

I'm usually a BMW OEM original parts kinda guy but the savings was just too great in this case ($236 vs $109) for what should be an identical part. It's a VDO with "Made in Germany" stamped on top.

Barry

EDIT: It looks like they went up $11 since I ordered last Friday. Try using coupon code specE30 for 5% off. Worked for me 5 days ago.

danewilson77
07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
VDO is good chicken.

cakM3
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Today I got to renew my registration for both bimmers....so happy....;)

JupiterBMW
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Today was a big day for both Bimmers for me too! For the ZHP, I got the ZKW lights back into the car (for the umpteenth time) to align and take pics of the completed retrofit and nighttime light output. I also got the car up on jackstands so that I could install the tranny/exhaust brace that I picked up yesterday. My original one was rusted through... *sigh* Owning a Northeast car... And while I was under there, I did the good ol' CDV removal mod. Instead of drilling it out or farting around with any of that, I just took it out and tossed it. Wow, what a wonderful difference! I also 'installed' my new floor mats. OEM carpeted version from BMW. Love them, they look wonderful, and they even came with new velcro securing discs for the carpet underneath! :thumbsup

For the X3, I installed the BMW "Grocery Gripper"... :rofl This was something I saw on the BMW accessories website and showed it to my wife. She insisted that it be installed. "I want some cool add ons to MY car too" she said... :biggrin She's so damn funny... :) Now if only Dinan would release the tune for this thing, that'd be great!

cakM3
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Nice Jon!

:like

brettbimmer
07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Gave the old lady a much-needed bath! She had a resemblence to a sea hag after a recent trip to NC. :sly:

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Crestwood1001
07-25-2012, 07:12 PM
What's the procedure for aligning the headlights? Halogens to be specific? Of all the DIYs iv seen and read iv never seen one for that and I need to do mine

JupiterBMW
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
What's the procedure for aligning the headlights? Halogens to be specific? Of all the DIYs iv seen and read iv never seen one for that and I need to do mine

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6231-REQUEST-How-to-properly-level-your-headlights

Good luck. For me, I simplified it a bit. I drove the car literally up to the wall. I then made a vertical mark at the center of each projector lens (or bulb filament for your halogen bulbs). I then intersected this vertical mark with a horizontal line, 24" off the ground. I then made a second horizontal line 2.5" lower than the first one. After this, I aligned my xenons as per the image in the above thread that has all the colorful lettering, posted by Trevor.

It works well. :)

johnrando
07-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Nice work Jon!

Crestwood1001
07-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks man! Today the BMW is moving into is new house! We are moving and the new place has a massive garage, so pumped!

Meric
07-26-2012, 11:48 AM
My friend told me he got an CEL and engine was running a bit rough. This happened after fuel filter change.. Air stuck in the system? I'll get the codes pulled out.

JupiterBMW
07-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks man! Today the BMW is moving into is new house! We are moving and the new place has a massive garage, so pumped!

Pics or ban! :mob

S85FTW
07-26-2012, 12:31 PM
@ Midnight I passed along my zhp to its new owner. His name is Jay and he lives in Morris CT. Far away from me so the chances of me seeing it ever again are slim to none. Great times had in it, I got to take it down to NC one last time to pick up the M5. Enjoyed every minute of owner ship and I am glad this vehicle brought back my passion for BMWs. I will post pics of the ride down and the new ride in my story thread.

danewilson77
07-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Pics or ban! :mob

Check his other thread....or ban. :)

Hornung418
07-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Stupid heat wave is interfering with the install of my new FCABs and Engine and Transmission Mounts :crying

webster
07-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Stupid heat wave is interfering with the install of my new FCABs and Engine and Transmission Mounts :crying

story of my life. i keep trying to use the damn dr. color chip kit and it's so hot and muggy the shit just won't dry...then i try to just wash it and after 20 mins i'm drenched in sweat. fuckin texas. (i usually end up washing in sweaty misery anyway, lol)

danewilson77
07-26-2012, 02:36 PM

You didn't let it interfere with your cooling system overhaul :)

Hornung418
07-26-2012, 02:40 PM
True. Threatening T-Storms are what worry me if I don't complete it today.

danewilson77
07-26-2012, 02:41 PM
True. Threatening T-Storms are what worry me if I don't complete it today.

Pfft......so you don't wanna get wet?

Think about how much better the whip is going to feel with the new fcab's installed.....then.....follow your heart.

Hornung418
07-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm also afraid that when I get them installed and everything, I'm going to find that the CA Ball Joints are going to be toast. :facepalm

danewilson77
07-26-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm also afraid that when I get them installed and everything, I'm going to find that the CA Ball Joints are going to be toast. :facepalm

Damn Justin....inspect that shit first...before you install. Otherwise it's wasted time and $$$.

Hornung418
07-26-2012, 03:03 PM
They will go on, but I am probably going to have to do double the work down the road.

danewilson77
07-26-2012, 03:32 PM
They will go on, but I am probably going to have to do double the work down the road.

Ok....so cabs are shot. Got it.

Hermes
07-26-2012, 03:39 PM
got a SES light earlier and my car was idling funny, gonna take it in Sat to have it checked under warranty

BlackNTan
07-26-2012, 04:20 PM
So my wife "dissuaded" me from looking for a used E92 M3, so I've been on an appearance shopping spree recently for the ZHP and am in the process of receiving / installing / fixing the following:

- Smoked WeissLicht side blinkers (look a LOT better on my black ZHP)
- Smoked lens films for rear lights and brake light
- Garmin Nuvi 3490 GPS
- Replacement gauge cluster dials in white (I think these are going to look great)
- Replacement antenna base and BMW sport antenna (my son snapped off the previous antenna - ugh)
- New storage bin above ashtray
- New Bosch ICON wiper blades
- Touchup wheel paint applied to minor curb rash
- Touchup jet black pain for minor chips
- Revamped the Alcantara steering wheel (but still need to get the tumbleweeds off the wheel)

I'll post pics once everything's installed.

Now I'm starting to think about performance mods (the car is stock currently). Any ideas for first steps?

Crestwood1001
07-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I'll post pics tomorrow! Spent the ENTIRE day moving in, and a week from today we move my fathers girlfriends stuff in, it was raining by the time I could get a pic

zhp43867
07-26-2012, 04:47 PM
BlackNTan, nice!

What is the mileage on your car? The best mods are usually the ones that bring ones car back to how it used to be.

Best mods? New RTABs, the best tires, a new steering coupler (this is HUGE for the tight feeling), FCABs, other bushings, and beyond that maybe an intake, muffler, pulleys, and limited slip if you're feeling ambitious.

BlackNTan
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Just hit 55k; bought the car with 48k this time last year.

danewilson77
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
So my wife "dissuaded" me from looking for a used E92 M3, so I've been on an appearance shopping spree recently for the ZHP and am in the process of receiving / installing / fixing the following:

- Smoked WeissLicht side blinkers (look a LOT better on my black ZHP)
- Smoked lens films for rear lights and brake light
- Garmin Nuvi 3490 GPS
- Replacement gauge cluster dials in white (I think these are going to look great)
- Replacement antenna base and BMW sport antenna (my son snapped off the previous antenna - ugh)
- New storage bin above ashtray
- New Bosch ICON wiper blades
- Touchup wheel paint applied to minor curb rash
- Touchup jet black pain for minor chips
- Revamped the Alcantara steering wheel (but still need to get the tumbleweeds off the wheel)

I'll post pics once everything's installed.

Now I'm starting to think about performance mods (the car is stock currently). Any ideas for first steps?

Looking forward to your project thread.

Meric
07-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Went shopping today.

I bought new thermostat & expension tank and this:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8393/img0205ly.jpg

2007 X5 4.8i @ 67k km on it.

Crestwood1001
07-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Merc nice!!!!

UdubBadger
07-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Damn. Ballin'

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Crestwood1001
07-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Parked my car in its new spot, new house was the model home so it was never lived in so the garage is clean, we are seal coating the floor soon and building a work bench, oh and it's a heated garage! :)

Ryans323i
07-27-2012, 05:59 AM
^^Looks great. Congrats!

@ Meric: I'd like to go for an expansion tank and walk out with a new BMW! Buoss!

cakM3
07-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Parked my car in its new spot, new house was the model home so it was never lived in so the garage is clean, we are seal coating the floor soon and building a work bench, oh and it's a heated garage! :)

Congrats on the new house :thumbsup

@ Meric...nice to get a new expansion tank and then walk out with an X5!
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/Screenshot2012-07-26at70201PM.png

Suffered through DMV this morning and got my ZHP registered for another 2 years....all is good now in my BMW world...;)

webster
07-27-2012, 06:22 AM
i'm confused...meric you bought an X5 for yourself, in addition to the 330??

UdubBadger
07-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Heated garage is so underrated

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Crestwood1001
07-27-2012, 06:34 AM

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Never had one so I'll be sure to update you once it's used lol central air is nice to have though with this damn heat

johnrando
07-27-2012, 06:52 AM
BlacknTan, Meric, SH all with new rides. Sweet! Always fun bringing the new baby home.

aurelius
07-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Just hit 55k; bought the car with 48k this time last year.

At that mileage, there shouldn't be any major issues and it's likely way too early for RTABs or a new steering coupler.

I'd go with preventive items ahead of the bling: New belts and pulleys. Strut tower plates. Brake and coolant flushes. CABs (have someone who knows what to look for also check condition of ctrl arm ball joints). New FSU for interior climate fan. New water/heater valve. New lower intake boot. DISA o-ring. Trans and diff oils.

Save your receipts -- that kind of maintenance is honey to future buyers.

PM if you want clarification, sources, part numbers, etc.

M0nk3y
07-27-2012, 08:21 AM

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

x682637283736

So nice, especially to store cars

HokieZHP
07-27-2012, 08:32 AM

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Absolutely! Ours at home is heated and cooled so it's nice to work in year round.

JupiterBMW
07-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Went shopping today.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8393/img0205ly.jpg

Siiiick. Love it. Very aggressive look with those wheels. One of my favorites for the X5.

JupiterBMW
07-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Bought some new bulbs for the headlights. DAYUM they aren't cheap! Can't wait til they get here! :)

*EDIT- I have to say. I spoke for quite a bit with Andrew at The Retrofit Source and he was a REALLY nice guy that offered a lot of help. And he insisted to get in touch with him right away if I have any problems or dissatisfaction with the new bulbs. :thumbsup for good customer service.

Meric
07-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Thank you very much guys. I'm happy to get an X5 too.. I was talking to X5 4.8's with the boss since he had one.. Really nice car and tires are giant. 275 front 315 Rear.. :D I got sick of getting stranded on the road cant deal with funking e46 coolant system problem.. I found a good deal and yeah just bought it.. No credit or anything..

webster
07-27-2012, 09:53 AM
you know you can't really justify a $50k SUV for a $1k coolant system lol...congrats either way, the X5 looks badass.

why not get a E9x M3 though for that cash?

Meric
07-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Hahah thanks! :)

Well i also wanted to get an SUV too.

JupiterBMW
07-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Hahah thanks! :)

Well i also wanted to get an SUV too.

Good call. I have to admit, having an SUV is really nice. Comfortable, able to see, easy to get in and out. We would've bought at X5, but I wanted the X50i and the gas numbers on the V8 are not appealing! Of course, the X35i in our X3 isn't much better... Oh well...

Crestwood1001
07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I miss my old jeep for the ability to move things do easily, other then that the BMW is great! 5242

Meric
07-27-2012, 03:33 PM
I will post more pics of it. (not a fan of the interior color but meh)

Hermes
07-27-2012, 07:07 PM
I think my ICV is acting up. I should have probably cleaned it 18,000 miles ago when I changed my upper and lower intake tubes but oh well. Glad I still have a warranty so it's going into the shop tomorrow. I'm hoping for a 335d loaner, last time I got a F30 328 but I still haven't tried the diesel out.

cakM3
07-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Today Chad and I helped with BP's BMW Performance carbon fiber strut bar install. Since I live closer to Chad I felt BP should do his maintenance/mod items first. Unfortunately, I ran out of time to do my SSK install and will reschedule with Chad to do at a later date...

Here are a few pics of BP's strut bar install... :thumbsup

BP and Chad deep in the job...:thumbsup
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ChadButt.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/DSC_0049.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/DSC_0047.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/DSC_0058.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/DSC_0060-1.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/DSC_0046.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/DSC_0045.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/DSC_0062-1.jpg

I took more pictures of the install and will do a more detailed writeup based on Steve's mod to the Performance CF Strut Bar install procedure. :)

WOLFN8TR
07-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Looks Good!

Just got done installing a new fuel filter, that was fun! It was the original filter, 108,801 on that sucker. Car runs alot better now, hopefully the mileage will go up a bit also.

jayjay_dee
07-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Good luck with getting the lower hose off.

Im stucked on this one, any tip?

cakM3
07-28-2012, 03:27 PM
jayjay... the lower hose is a bitch to get off but you have to be patient and wiggle/pull but not pull in a jerking motion....you can't be too hard but apply constant pressure and the hose will eventually pull off. I'm assuming you mean the lower radiator hose, right?

jayjay_dee
07-28-2012, 03:36 PM
yes Charlie, the lower radiator hose... not sure now if i want to replace it too since the hose itself looks good to me....

cakM3
07-28-2012, 03:46 PM
jayjay,

Mine looked okay and seemed to be in okay shape but when I refreshed my cooling system in the ZHP at Chad's house this year, I went ahead and changed it out anyway since I already had a replacement hose. The lower hose was a real PITA to remove but I took my time, kept pulling and wiggling the hose and eventually the hose began to part. I was more concerned about breaking the plastic connection at the radiator end but everything turned out okay. :thumbsup

I just had to be patient about it...

jayjay_dee
07-28-2012, 03:59 PM
finally, its off... thanks for the tip charlie....

so i have most parts of the cooling system off my car right now (upper and lower hose, thermostat, water pump, belts, pulleys, switch, expansion tank) and it seems that i can do this project by just replacing the expansion tank (which is obviously leaking), gasket on thermostat, belts and radiator, plus the electric fan....

Water pump still looks solid, same with thermostat, and upper & lower hoses.

If something else fails in the future, I feel confident doing this project again, not really so hard....

Ordering parts now at BMAParts.com.....

cakM3
07-28-2012, 04:04 PM
jayjay,

While you are there, I would strongly recommend you replace your water pump (if anything with an OEM one for now), and new thermostat. At least you will have peace of mind that you won't have issues with your water pump or thermostat.

As for pulleys, it is also a good idea to change them out but you can probably stretch them until a little later. I'm planning to change out my pulleys, radiator, expansion tank, and add a Stewart water pump in spring to complete my cooling system refresh for my ZHP. I did a partial refresh in spring so that I wouldn't have any issues when driving down to the SIGFest this year...:)

Glad to be of help jayjay! :thumbsup

Hermes
07-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I think my ICV is acting up. I should have probably cleaned it 18,000 miles ago when I changed my upper and lower intake tubes but oh well. Glad I still have a warranty so it's going into the shop tomorrow. I'm hoping for a 335d loaner, last time I got a F30 328 but I still haven't tried the diesel out.

So they called and said its my VANOS which will need to be replaced, I guess I'll have the loaner until Monday. I never installed my Beisan kit so I guess I can save that for a while since I will be getting a brand new unit. So happy I still have a warranty right now. All I will owe is the $100 deductible

Stu
07-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Fixed my what seemed to be never-ending wiper squeak/chatter issue. They were extraordinarily loud on the upswipe and down-flip, and they chattered horribly. One day they were so bad I thought it'd burn out the motor. The home position of the wipers was so far down that the driver's wiper was hitting the wiper arm, which was also annoying.

I finally figured out how to pull them off and adjusted the home positions per the Bentley manual. It's an absolute downpour of a storm right now and I just tested them - no chatter, perfect clarity, it's like they're brand-new!

So if you have chatter problems, check the home position. Apparently it makes a BIG difference. I had no idea it was that critical.

danewilson77
07-28-2012, 04:52 PM
So they called and said its my VANOS which will need to be replaced, I guess I'll have the loaner until Monday. I never installed my Beisan kit so I guess I can save that for a while since I will be getting a brand new unit. So happy I still have a warranty right now. All I will owe is the $100 deductible

You won't be getting a brand new unit. You will be getting a refurbed unit with the same shitty buna-n o-rings.

Hermes
07-28-2012, 05:00 PM
You won't be getting a brand new unit. You will be getting a refurbed unit with the same shitty buna-n o-rings.

I asked the service advisor that specific question and they said it will be a new unit, I guess I'll find out in a few days. Either way I still have them so I can do it to the new to me unit

M0nk3y
07-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Flushed out my power steering...and got a new cap.

How do caps cost $27 raw cost? I paid $17, but still...BMW says a cap for power steering is worth that. Absolutely crazy.

Random note, anyone know where to find out the initial thickness of rotors? I mic'ed my rotors today, they are well above the min thickness...but I want to see how much they have worn versus new

Hermes
07-28-2012, 05:37 PM
so after spending the last few hours setting the points on the 2002 we have decided to say f-it and mod to electronic ignition, now we need to do some research but I'm thinking Pertronix and a MSD 6A. I'm just not in the mood to do this ever few thousand miles when technology exists and most people won't be able to tell its been changed

Meric
07-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Finally I got it:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3159/img0208qz.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/5193/img0209is.jpg

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7289/img0210hi.jpg

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/180/img0213vc.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4461/img0214gr.jpg

JupiterBMW
07-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Looking good Meric!

For me, a quick coat of wax this evening that also led to removing the kidney grilles for new paint and also polishing the tips on my exhaust. A simple job that really improves her overall look.

Meric
07-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Looking good Meric!

For me, a quick coat of wax this evening that also led to removing the kidney grilles for new paint and also polishing the tips on my exhaust. A simple job that really improves her overall look.

Thanks brah :D

I'm thinking about selling my Non-ZHP weird coloured car.. Should i let it go or?

JupiterBMW
07-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Hmmm tough call. I will say this, it's nice to get in the ZHP after driving the X and suffering the gas mileage. Literally, I feel like that thing is always needing fuel. The ZHP feels like my economy car. :biggrin

johnrando
07-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Charlie, nice pics! Dropped my car off at the body shop today to fix the scratches from the power line. Hope things work out!

JupiterBMW
07-29-2012, 09:02 AM
John- Wow, I didn't realize that wasn't taken care of yet! Good luck and hope she looks good when finished!

Today I took the time to track down my whacky nav tracking problem. I think I might've fixed it, we shall see... Updates will come after a test drive to verify correct operation! :)

Oh, I ordered some stuff too. :shifty

Pip
07-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Replaced the fog lights and headlight lenses. Makes a huge difference in appearance.

Old fog light (driver side):
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8145/7671861004_d03520968d_z.jpg

Old headlight lens:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8001/7671839346_ed4d535945_z.jpg

New headlight lens:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7115/7671837876_36c180ca8a_z.jpg

UdubBadger
07-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Looking good.
I need to do my lenses too. Where'd u order from?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Meric
07-30-2012, 01:53 AM
Put the 330 on sale asking $15 k

Ryans323i
07-30-2012, 05:49 AM
Charlie, nice pics! Dropped my car off at the body shop today to fix the scratches from the power line. Hope things work out!

I hope things work out to John. I can't wait to see her back to perfection!

Replaced the fog lights and headlight lenses. Makes a huge difference in appearance.

Old fog light (driver side):
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8145/7671861004_d03520968d_z.jpg

Old headlight lens:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8001/7671839346_ed4d535945_z.jpg

New headlight lens:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7115/7671837876_36c180ca8a_z.jpg

New lenses make a world of difference. Way to go.

@ Seth: I've bought mine from GermanAutoParts.com (http://www.germanautoparts.com/BMW). They're OE and a good price IMO.

JupiterBMW
07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Well so far today, I did some more diagnosis with my nav and got it a little closer to 100%. I also have my kidneys out as I'm in the process of going from flat black to gloss black.

I also washed and waxed the X3 today, and right as I finished that, my new xenon bulbs arrived, so I'll be installing my headlights again tonight, hopefully for the last time. :)

cakM3
07-30-2012, 12:42 PM

John, good luck with your baby!!! Hope the final outcome is nothing short of perfect! :thumbsup

jayjay_dee
07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
John, good luck with your baby!!! Hope the final outcome is nothing short of perfect! :thumbsup

+ 100

S85FTW
07-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Set up an appointment for new pads/rotor repair Thursday. Then the ///M will be good to go.

cakM3
07-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I took my ///M out today for the first time since my New Jersey trip. Felt great driving it to work and back today! :biggrin

The ZHP was kept safe inside the garage all day ;)

az3579
07-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Today I taught Wobbie how to speak German.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Misc/430bb93e.jpg

cakM3
07-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Meine ZHP wird Englisch sprechen...

webster
07-30-2012, 05:05 PM
new wheels! Avant Garde M310 18" 18x8 ET35 / 18x9 ET38

OEM BMW caps don't fit though :[

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/20120730_181049.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/20120730_181100.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/20120730_183601.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/20120730_193937.jpg

az3579
07-30-2012, 05:07 PM

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/20120730_181100.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/20120730_183601.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/20120730_193937.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/20120730_194003.jpg

OMFG.... :drool

Crestwood1001
07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Wow, those rims look great!

danewilson77
07-30-2012, 05:17 PM

+1

Sent from Corolla, NC USA = Party

nike001
07-30-2012, 05:44 PM
My car is pissing me off. I'm not sure where or how it's going.. but I'm losing oil. It's pretty steady too. I'm at about 100 miles short of 122,000 miles and I've already added 2qts of oil since my last oil change at 119,500, but granted I had the VANOS off then, so I'm sure some of the oil during my change replaced that in the VANOS. But, anyways my yellow light came on this past Friday night.. and then tonight while driving back from my fathers. It came on about 4-5 minutes after driving down his 'mountain'.. which is pretty much idle speed in 1st gear while I climb down it for probably just under a mile.

I've replaced my CCV, VCG, VANOS gasket, and I can't really see any leaks coming from anywhere. My splash guard has been off so I haven't been seeing any leaks on the ground. I'm going to have the car inspected hopefully this week, so I'll have the tech look it over for leaks. I'm weary of the OFGH, but I haven't seen any leaks on the ground..?

webster
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
OMFG.... :drool

+1

thanks guys

S85FTW
07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Do you do your own oil changes? If not maybe your mechanic put the wrong weight oil in. I actually had my zhp burn oil like a mofo when an indy oil shop put in 10w-30 synthetic. I made them change it once my yellow oil light came on at 4k miles.

cakM3
07-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Wes, the wheels look awesome!
:chuck

JupiterBMW
07-30-2012, 06:07 PM
The end of a freaking era. I am finally done working on my headlights. Today my new bulbs arrived (Osram Xenarc SVS bulbs, D2S) and I put them in the headlights and then reinstalled the headlights AGAIN. I went out afterward and aligned them as per the procedure Trevor posted. BTW Trevor, thank you for that, I've aligned headlights probably 10 times since I've owned this car. Anyway, results are below. The first pic shows the OEM equivalent Xenarc 66040 bulb on the left and the Xenarc 66240 SVS on the right.

JupiterBMW
07-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Wes, the wheels look great! Sorry to hear about the OEM center caps... Did they at least come with some to put in there?

nike001
07-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Do you do your own oil changes? If not maybe your mechanic put the wrong weight oil in. I actually had my zhp burn oil like a mofo when an indy oil shop put in 10w-30 synthetic. I made them change it once my yellow oil light came on at 4k miles.

Yep, I use BMW 5-30

Meric
07-30-2012, 06:10 PM
What type of oil should we put to our engines? 5w-30?

nike001
07-30-2012, 06:15 PM
The end of a freaking era. I am finally done working on my headlights. Today my new bulbs arrived (Osram Xenarc SVS bulbs, D2S) and I put them in the headlights and then reinstalled the headlights AGAIN. I went out afterward and aligned them as per the procedure Trevor posted. BTW Trevor, thank you for that, I've aligned headlights probably 10 times since I've owned this car. Anyway, results are below. The first pic shows the OEM equivalent Xenarc 66040 bulb on the left and the Xenarc 66240 SVS on the right.

Looks good! I have CBI's and they were doing me good.. but one is flickering a lot when cornering/braking, so I think it's on it's way out. Terra had his share of bad luck with them too and had one go out. I know I'm not about to pay $190 for another set. Freaking things are too expensive to have duds..

Yes, BMW 5w-30 is what dealers usually put in. Others use Mobile 1 0-40 (LL01 approved) and maybe a few here use Castrol 5w-30

S85FTW
07-30-2012, 06:19 PM

0w-40 or 5w-30 is the only way to go for non m engines.

Dalton beat me to it.

webster
07-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Wes, the wheels look awesome!
:chuck

Wes, the wheels look great! Sorry to hear about the OEM center caps... Did they at least come with some to put in there?

thanks. yeah they came with AG caps...but i'm gonna find some BMW ones. gotta have the blue pinwheel in the middle.

JupiterBMW
07-30-2012, 06:39 PM
thanks. yeah they came with AG caps...but i'm gonna find some BMW ones. gotta have the blue pinwheel in the middle.

Agreed. Looking damn good either way though. Question, you running spacers? And what's the tire size?

Gordo_GT
07-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Im stucked on this one, any tip?

I'm very late with this but I had my brother help me. I wiggle the hose from the bottom and he from the top.

In order to gain leverage, I drilled a hole into the hose and inserted a metal bar perpendicular to the hose. And we pulled the bar at the same time.

Crestwood1001
07-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Dalton, is it putting off a burned oil smell? When I found the vcg issue the first time it was showing no oil on the ground cause it was hitting the exhaust and burning off

Meric
07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Thank you for the info guys :)

webster
07-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Agreed. Looking damn good either way though. Question, you running spacers? And what's the tire size?

no spacers. the offset is the equivalent of running 12mm spacers compared to 135s. tire size is OEM fitment, 225/40 F, 255/35 R

congrats on getting your nav worked out btw. and the headlights look great!

Pip
07-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Looking good.
I need to do my lenses too. Where'd u order from?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Ordered from Khoalty. It had free shipping since I ordered fogs as well.

llll1l1ll
07-31-2012, 05:25 AM
I gave it a nice scrubbin'. I'm gonna wax it in the next week or two.

zhp43867
07-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Mason clutch pedal!

Ryans323i
07-31-2012, 05:54 AM
Today I taught Wobbie how to speak German.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Misc/430bb93e.jpg

Very cool!!

Looks awesome!

Hornung418
07-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Mason clutch pedal!

I want that so bad. Super jealous of that purchase!

Dalton, if it's not the OFHG, check for blow by on hard accelerations. Could be a piston ring has failed or a valve seal is shot.

Horney...via TT.

johnrando
07-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Wheels look great Wes!

webster
07-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Mason clutch pedal!

congrats...now i want one lol

Looks awesome!

Wheels look great Wes!

thanks!

zhp43867
07-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Dalton- have you had anyone follow you under WOT, preferably the 2-3 shift? If your car is burning oil you can usually see or smell it from behind under those conditions.

johnrando
07-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Dalton- have you had anyone follow you under WOT, preferably the 2-3 shift? If your car is burning oil you can usually see or smell it from behind under those conditions.

He tried, but no one could keep up with him. :biggrin

nike001
07-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Dalton, if it's not the OFHG, check for blow by on hard accelerations. Could be a piston ring has failed or a valve seal is shot.

Horney...via TT.
I never smell oil and no one ever traveling behind me says anything about smoke. I had a bad feeling it's piston rings or valve seals, because that's my luck

nike001
07-31-2012, 09:33 AM

I'm going to try to find someone to follow me today and look for it.

In other news, what the hell weisslicht?!
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc4450-16bc-3d32.jpg

I pounded on the hood a few times and it lit back up... So hopefully this won't happen again and it was just a hiccup

S85FTW
07-31-2012, 09:43 AM

I pounded on the hood a few times and it lit back up... So hopefully this won't happen again and it was just a hiccup

My angel eye did this flickering just before I sold it, I believe it is just a loose connection because if I would tap on the headlight lense it would light back up. Check your angel eye wiring.

zhp43867
07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Dalton, one word: kreen

danewilson77
07-31-2012, 10:30 AM

Remove ring. Solder connections.

jayjay_dee
07-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Cant believe I missed the UPS guy, been waiting for him all morning...

Me and my wife plus the kids just stepped out for a while to grab lunch at Five Guys Burgers, we left at 12:30
and came back 1:30 pm, and yes, there is a note on my door, he showed up 15 minutes after we left... great timing...

So my electric fan and cooling system parts are now roaming NJ aboard this UPS truck...

Good thing, my new Enco unit arrived last night, yes, its been 4 months before I get this NAV unit from China...

Ryans323i
07-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Bummer with the UPS guy. That always seems to happen with me!

nike001
07-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Dalton, one word: kreen

What's kreen?

nike001
07-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Remove ring. Solder connections.

Thanks Dane, I'll fiddle with it when I get home.

In other OTHER news, my drivers side CBI bulb is probably on it's way out. It flickers when doing harder turns and braking. All connections are good.. And terra experienced the same problem before his one CBI bulb went out. These were supposed to be the best bulbs ever.. Wtf? And for $190 for the pair, this is unbelievable.

Crestwood1001
07-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks Dane, I'll fiddle with it when I get home.

In other OTHER news, my drivers side CBI bulb is probably on it's way out. It flickers when doing harder turns and braking. All connections are good.. And terra experienced the same problem before his one CBI bulb went out. These were supposed to be the best bulbs ever.. Wtf? And for $190 for the pair, this is unbelievable.

Your having a nice bad luck streak, just sent ya a text, I'm available to ride behind ya and see if your burning oil at WOT

zhp43867
07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Google Kreen + Bobistheoilguy. If you actually are having issues with valve seals or something relatively serious like that it may fix or reduce your oil consumption substantially.

I have extra older Osrams (not CBIs) by the way if you're in need of bulbs- you can have them.

S85FTW
07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
cleaned my engine bay today :)
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/krisgt30/bc12947d.jpg

nike001
07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Google Kreen + Bobistheoilguy. If you actually are having issues with valve seals or something relatively serious like that it may fix or reduce your oil consumption substantially.

I have extra older Osrams (not CBIs) by the way if you're in need of bulbs- you can have them.

I'm at his site now.. how much would I need? And where should I put it? Oil/gas?

But thanks for the offer on your old bulbs! I have enough sitting around here I can just swap out my CBI's :)

Gordo_GT
07-31-2012, 03:46 PM
cleaned my engine bay today :)
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/krisgt30/bc12947d.jpg

I imagine it was dirty. Good job cleaning the engine.
/s

On a serious note, nice ride.

S85FTW
07-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I imagine it was dirty. Good job cleaning the engine.
/s

On a serious note, nice ride.

Haha Thanks, it actually was pretty dirty. PO lived on the beach in NC, tons of sand under the hood.

Hornung418
07-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Dropped it off at the body shop :(

BlackNTan
07-31-2012, 04:21 PM
So I switched out my gauges to white faced dials (Bimmian.com). Getting the tach and speedo adjusted was a pain and I had to remove the cluster several times. I may still have to do some minor adjusting but I want to check my speed compared to the GPS to see if I have it right.

Tomorrow I get the antenna base changed, new Bosch wipers and new storage bin.

Then to work on smoked lens films that are waiting to be applied.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z246/jones205/photo.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z246/jones205/photo4.jpg

johnrando
07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Looks good BnT.

SureShot434
07-31-2012, 05:40 PM
So I switched out my gauges to white faced dials (Bimmian.com). Getting the tach and speedo adjusted was a pain and I had to remove the cluster several times. I may still have to do some minor adjusting but I want to check my speed compared to the GPS to see if I have it right.

Tomorrow I get the antenna base changed, new Bosch wipers and new storage bin.

Then to work on smoked lens films that are waiting to be applied.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z246/jones205/photo.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z246/jones205/photo4.jpg

Does you has a link for this cause I cant find it :(

BlackNTan
07-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Here you go

http://www.bimmian.com/M3-Style-Gauge-Face-for-BMW-3-Series

danewilson77
07-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Here you go

Really looks good. Throw some detail out there on the issues you ran into.

GSEN820
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
BlacknTan that is the first time I have seen them other than the website.

I must say that looks really good. Great upgrade.

BlackNTan
07-31-2012, 06:21 PM
The main issue was getting the needles to line up correctly. Even though I set the major needles to zero, the tach needle re-set when hooked back up so that it almost touched the MPG needle. So my tach read about 1000 rpm too low (not a great idea if you're anywhere near redline). My speedometer was about 3 miles too fast according to my GPS.

I found a post on Bimmerforums explaining I had to put the needle on gently, rotate it counterclockwise until it sticks a little (which is the "zero" point), then adjust the needle to zero, then push the needle in all the way. That seems to have fixed the tach (it's perhaps a millimeter above zero). I pulled the speedo needle down a little and I'll check it again tomorrow.

BCS_ZHP
07-31-2012, 07:13 PM
A few days late, due to fatigue followed by some long hours at work. Decided to do a paint correction/ detail to my car this past weekend. The friend who was teaching/ helping me has after hours access to a shop, so we were night owls. Friday started at 8 pm with a degreasing, washing, claying, re-washing, removal of roundels, trim, taping other trim, etc., followed by wet sanding the hood. It was a 5 stage hood job, did half initially to see the difference, 1500 grit wet sand, followed by 2000 grit, then 3000 grit, a medium polish, and a fine polishing agent. I was too afraid to hit my original painted hood with sanding, so Sean did that part. Amazing, that took care of over 90% of the hood blemishes. We called it a night just before 3 am.

Saturday we restarted at 7:30 pm with the intent of doing an all-nighter. He worked on another car and just directed me on what to do next. I polished the whole car with a medium agent, then again with a fine polish, think i had a DA in my hands for about 12 hours straight. Next was a wash of the car, a pre-wax cleaner wipe down, he didn't like that one so we did another one and finally waxing. Much more work and time than I anticipated but the end result is amazing. My car has that wet paint look, no fine scratches, you look into the paint and get a perfect reflection. We touched up some of the remaining larger paint chips and a few of those need a second treatment but the finish and difference is unbelievable, it now looks much better than my wife's ZHP and hers is a clean car. So she says it looks good, can you do mine too, i will but not for a few weeks. I drove 300 miles on Monday for work, thru several rain storms and it still looked wet and deep this morning. More rain tonight and it was too late after work for me to get any sunshine pics. I'll get some pics this weekend after washing it and then will post them.

Didn't realize Saturday night would extend into all of Sunday, we didn't finish until 9:30 pm Sunday, so 26 hours straight working on the car plus the 7 hours Friday night. Was it worth it, i can't objectively answer that as I had a goal and achieved it. After a certain point into Sunday I just wanted to complete the job and nothing was going to stop me. At one point Sean hit the wall and wanted to go home, somehow I talked him into staying and helping me finish. There were definite periods of fatigue and inefficiency but I persevered on 5 hour energy shots. And thanks to Gary (GSEN820) for showing up Sunday morning with McD's breakfast, a true lifesaver.

I learned a lot about detailing and paint restoration, I'll be buying my own DA polisher soon to maintain the other cars. And Chris From VATech, more power to you for enjoying this type of work, with the fatigue so fresh in my memory if someone handed me a DA right now I'd shoot it.

Bruce

Hornung418
07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Damn, Bruce! Can't wait to see it!

SureShot434
07-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Here you go

Thank you kind sir :)

cakM3
08-01-2012, 03:35 AM
A few days late, due to fatigue followed by some long hours at work. Decided to do a paint correction/ detail to my car this past weekend. The friend who was teaching/ helping me has after hours access to a shop, so we were night owls. Friday started at 8 pm with a degreasing, washing, claying, re-washing, removal of roundels, trim, taping other trim, etc., followed by wet sanding the hood. It was a 5 stage hood job, did half initially to see the difference, 1500 grit wet sand, followed by 2000 grit, then 3000 grit, a medium polish, and a fine polishing agent. I was too afraid to hit my original painted hood with sanding, so Sean did that part. Amazing, that took care of over 90% of the hood blemishes. We called it a night just before 3 am.

Saturday we restarted at 7:30 pm with the intent of doing an all-nighter. He worked on another car and just directed me on what to do next. I polished the whole car with a medium agent, then again with a fine polish, think i had a DA in my hands for about 12 hours straight. Next was a wash of the car, a pre-wax cleaner wipe down, he didn't like that one so we did another one and finally waxing. Much more work and time than I anticipated but the end result is amazing. My car has that wet paint look, no fine scratches, you look into the paint and get a perfect reflection. We touched up some of the remaining larger paint chips and a few of those need a second treatment but the finish and difference is unbelievable, it now looks much better than my wife's ZHP and hers is a clean car. So she says it looks good, can you do mine too, i will but not for a few weeks. I drove 300 miles on Monday for work, thru several rain storms and it still looked wet and deep this morning. More rain tonight and it was too late after work for me to get any sunshine pics. I'll get some pics this weekend after washing it and then will post them.

Didn't realize Saturday night would extend into all of Sunday, we didn't finish until 9:30 pm Sunday, so 26 hours straight working on the car plus the 7 hours Friday night. Was it worth it, i can't objectively answer that as I had a goal and achieved it. After a certain point into Sunday I just wanted to complete the job and nothing was going to stop me. At one point Sean hit the wall and wanted to go home, somehow I talked him into staying and helping me finish. There were definite periods of fatigue and inefficiency but I persevered on 5 hour energy shots. And thanks to Gary (GSEN820) for showing up Sunday morning with McD's breakfast, a true lifesaver.

I learned a lot about detailing and paint restoration, I'll be buying my own DA polisher soon to maintain the other cars. And Chris From VATech, more power to you for enjoying this type of work, with the fatigue so fresh in my memory if someone handed me a DA right now I'd shoot it.

Bruce

Awesome story Bruce! :thumbsup Can't wait to see the pics! :)

webster
08-01-2012, 04:41 AM
def in for pics of that sezzy ass fresh paint 540!

Crestwood1001
08-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Just set up an appointment through my insurance to have safe lite come out and repair my windshield. Got a quarter sized rock chip that's pretty deep. Have to say I'm very impressed with the service I delt with through The Hartford, was MAYBE a ten min call, very professional and it was taken care of easily! Plus the repair is free of charge! Can't beat that!

Crestwood1001
08-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Got my new roundels, led plate bulbs and side marker bulbs!

static667
08-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I did my rain dance yesterday....meaning I washed my car. Stupid weather. :facepalm

Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my hacked Fascinate.

Newjack
08-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Buffed my hood again and sealed it this time. I noticed the other day when I washed my car that the water would only bead up on the front left side of the hood. Everything else would just wash over. It's hard to explain.

But after I sealed my hood and got it nice and smooth, I noticed that my entire hood beads up water now. So I guess it's safe to say that my clearcoat was non existent.

Whenever I get a better job and have money to spend, I will be re-spraying my hood and front fenders, maybe even my passenger door.

nike001
08-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Buffed my hood again and sealed it this time. I noticed the other day when I washed my car that the water would only bead up on the front left side of the hood. Everything else would just wash over. It's hard to explain.

But after I sealed my hood and got it nice and smooth, I noticed that my entire hood beads up water now. So I guess it's safe to say that my clearcoat was non existent.

Whenever I get a better job and have money to spend, I will be re-spraying my hood and front fenders, maybe even my passenger door.

I wouldn't go that far as to say that. If you've never waxed your car before then I'm sure that the water was just sitting flat on the car. Look around next time it rains.. and I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about. It happens with every car unless you wax it.

Since you said you buffed your car 'again' then I'd assume that you buffed it previously and then waxed right over it.. and over time the wax wore off. Wax isn't meant to last months at a time.. that's the job for the sealant to do. Wax is only as strong as the preparation you did before it.

So, what I do usually is wash, clay, wash, buff, wash, seal/polish, wax. Then wax every 2-3 months.. or whatever you feel is appropriate.

Then every year.. or every 6 months after that you can just wash, clay, seal/polish, and wax.

Crestwood1001
08-01-2012, 02:45 PM
What he said

cakM3
08-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Put my Thule bike rack back on today....here are some pics :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/64280191-0537-ebe7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/64280191-0544-e470.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/64280191-054f-9709.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/64280191-0559-b321.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/64280191-0562-ac46.jpg

CERF04ZHP
08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Put my Thule bike rack back on today....forgot to take pics but will tomorrow...;)

Roof or trunk mounted?

Sent from my PDA with a 1.5 GHz brain.

cakM3
08-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Channing, this will be a roof mount.

CERF04ZHP
08-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Nice! Like Dane's old look. :thumbup:
I gotta call you this week to talk about finally getting my ZKW's retrofitted.and I need a new r/f window regulator.

Sent from my PDA with a 1.5 GHz brain.

johnrando
08-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Work continues on my car. Since it's in there, they are doing the bumpers (front and rear) to perfection. I'm paying for that separately but that's going to be sweet. The other good news is that the are not going to try to repair the top, but rather get a new one (duh!) :) Insurance is paying for that.

cakM3
08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
You got my number Channing... give me a call when you have time :)

Yeah, I kinda liked that look as well :thumbsup

@ John... That's awesome news! Keep us posted brother :)

Hermes
08-01-2012, 06:22 PM
picked up my car from the shop and after thoroughly checking my new VANOS is exactly that... new and not a reman unit FTW! (apparently there is a different pn in the system for used units)

I was kinda disappointed to have to return the 335d, that was a fun car to drive for the past few days

johnrando
08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
picked up my car from the shop and after thoroughly checking my new VANOS is exactly that... new and not a reman unit FTW! (apparently there is a different pn in the system for used units)

I was kinda disappointed to have to return the 335d, that was a fun car to drive for the past few days

Win!

Crestwood1001
08-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Does anyone know a part number for the black plastic license plate holder that bolts to the trunk? Whoever had the car before me stripped out the bolt holes so only two grab, need a new one

Hornung418
08-01-2012, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't go that far as to say that. If you've never waxed your car before then I'm sure that the water was just sitting flat on the car. Look around next time it rains.. and I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about. It happens with every car unless you wax it.

Since you said you buffed your car 'again' then I'd assume that you buffed it previously and then waxed right over it.. and over time the wax wore off. Wax isn't meant to last months at a time.. that's the job for the sealant to do. Wax is only as strong as the preparation you did before it.

So, what I do usually is wash, clay, wash, buff, wash, seal/polish, wax. Then wax every 2-3 months.. or whatever you feel is appropriate.

Then every year.. or every 6 months after that you can just wash, clay, seal/polish, and wax.

Just polished it. This is the first time he sealed the car. We sealed mine, and I didn't have any water spots.

Horney...via TT.

Meric
08-01-2012, 09:13 PM
M-Sport is grounded till the new thermostat and expension tank comes with the mail..

Went to oil change the X5 i came out paying $1300.. Why?!

Spark plugs needed to change at every 35k KM.
Coolant flush at every 35k KM.
Brake Fluid Flush at 35K KM

And some weird stuff they told me to change.. -.-

cakM3
08-02-2012, 03:12 AM
M-Sport is grounded till the new thermostat and expension tank comes with the mail..

Went to oil change the X5 i came out paying $1300.. Why?!

Spark plugs needed to change at every 35k KM.
Coolant flush at every 35k KM.
Brake Fluid Flush at 35K KM

And some weird stuff they told me to change.. -.-

sounds like BS to me Meric....

the dealer is saying that every 21,000 miles you have to do a coolant flush, brake fluid flush, and spark plug change???? I don't think so....

Spark plugs, if anything should be changed out every 96.5 KM, brake fluid flush about every two years (street driving only - track, more often obviously) is what the dealer here in Newport tells me. I do my coolant flushes about every other year with no issues to my cars. If your dealership is getting away with charging you $1,300 for an oil change....I would look into what maintenance that is required for your X5 (X5Post) and come armed with research the next time you take your X5 to the dealer. Even if you decide to have maintenance performed, you will be well informed as to what is required, and what "really" needs to be done. This way you can authorize only the work to be performed. As for myself, if I ever ran into this type of BS from a dealership, I would not trust them even if I had to use them again. I would go through my vehicle prior to taking it there and then tell the SA the work I want done to my car and not to authorize any additional work without contacting me first....

That's my two cents.....sorry for the rant and what you had to go through...:facepalm

Ryans323i
08-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Work continues on my car. Since it's in there, they are doing the bumpers (front and rear) to perfection. I'm paying for that separately but that's going to be sweet. The other good news is that the are not going to try to repair the top, but rather get a new one (duh!) :) Insurance is paying for that.

Very awesome John! Can't wait to see her all shiny new! So what are you driving around now?

johnrando
08-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Very awesome John! Can't wait to see her all shiny new! So what are you driving around now?

Thanks. Me too! Just splitting time on my wife's Honda Pilot. She's been out of town so the timing has been perfect.

Ryans323i
08-02-2012, 06:40 AM
I see. That's really convenient.

S85FTW
08-02-2012, 11:47 AM
New pads installed all around. $330 oem parts/labor. Not bad.

Meric
08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I know cakm3 it didnt make sense to me either just a money trap i just wanted to clear things out in that car.. Wont happen again. Pretty stupid to change Spark Plugs at ever 35k km..

My license suspension done today. :)

jayjay_dee
08-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Meric, check out XOutpost.com, tons of info for your e70... im a member there as well...

Newjack
08-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Yeah I didn't wax it the first time. I still haven't waxed it, just put sealant on this time around. It's a lot of work for one person to wash a car 3 times and buff polish seal and wax. I don't have the patience to go through with that yet. Mainly because I know that I will have buffing compound embedded in all of my rock chips on the front hood + fenders. So I don't feel like spending all that time and effort to take care of something that will A) get resprayed at a later date and B) won't look 100% because of the white buffing compound shit that I can never completely remove.

I don't mean to sound defensive, I'm just frustrated with how shitty the PO was about managing this car and keeping it clean. I love my car, and it is mechanically sound. But I really didn't know anything about paint or porter cables when I bought it. Live and learn.

cakM3
08-02-2012, 12:59 PM
I know cakm3 it didnt make sense to me either just a money trap i just wanted to clear things out in that car.. Wont happen again. Pretty stupid to change Spark Plugs at ever 35k km..

My license suspension done today. :)

Congrats Meric! :thumbsup

~Charlie

MrMaico
08-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Finally took the plunge the other day and ordered a new windshield to replace my pitted one. $247 from Lincoln BMW. Got an e mail today confirming it qualifies for their free shipping for the month of July. :-) I was afraid they might consider it "oversize" and charge me something for shipping.

Gonna be nice looking through a nice clear windshield. Been debating doing this for a couple of years.

OEM windshield for $247 shipped? Wow! (or is it non OEM?)

It took quite a while, going on 3 weeks since I ordered, but I finally got my windshield today. I have a feeling they are overwhelmed with orders due to the free shipping they have had going on for the last few months. I know that's happened before for them. Can't beat the price though for a Pilkington windshield with rain sensor installed. I noticed they have extended the free shipping through August now.

Looking forward to getting it put in next week. Gonna be nice to finally get it done.

Barry

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/i-WkGLDJJ/0/M/IMG1692-M.jpg

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/i-wJpjhh2/0/M/IMG1694-M.jpg

Meric
08-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Congrats Meric! :thumbsup

~Charlie

Thank you very much :) If I had an M3 like you i would probably go to jail..

cakM3
08-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Thank you very much :) If I had an M3 like you i would probably go to jail..

Funny you say this Meric :) Its easy to do if you get careless...this car has lots of power and is a much different ride from my ZHP... a more raw feeling if available power... since I've had my ///M over three years now... I've already felt her out and know what she can do... at this point I cruise but at speeds of 80-90mph... always doing so where traffic permits.

For me its all about respect and responsibility :)

Rob recently got to drive my ///M when BP and I went down to New Jersey the other weekend. He could compare my ///M against his DINAN ZHP, and Kristen's awesome 135 :)

UdubBadger
08-02-2012, 04:49 PM
damn that was a great pick up!

cakM3
08-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Went to work and realized I forgot to bring my wallet so I went home. While there I decided to give my BBKs a "proper" cleaning and mounted my Beyern Mesh wheels :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99d-ed10-db37.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99d-ed25-d195.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99d-ed3a-24fb.jpg

Going to wash and put away my Style 135s for the rest of the year ;)
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99d-ed6b-1944.jpg

S85FTW
08-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Resonator delete :)

johnrando
08-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Looks good Charlie! What's your criteria for switching?

Ryans323i
08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Went to work and realized I forgot to bring my wallet so I went home. While there I decided to give my BBKs a "proper" cleaning and mounted my Beyern Mesh wheels :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99d-ed10-db37.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99d-ed25-d195.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99d-ed3a-24fb.jpg

Going to wash and put away my Style 135s for the rest of the year ;)
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c99d-ed6b-1944.jpg

:drool Those are my favorite!

MrMaico
08-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Resonator delete :)

I bet that sounds good! I remember a Youtube video I saw a couple of years ago of an M5 in the mountains somewhere.......sounded like an F1 car!